PDA

View Full Version : Sense of loss

Asako
05-13-2012, 03:37 PM
For the last few months, I've slowly slipped into a depression of dangerous proportions. A thing or two my therapist said during the last visit stuck with me though. I've kicked those thoughts around here and there. I may finally have a concept to put to some of the pain that I feel during the emotional breakdowns. I could be mourning the loss of my "old life".

At this point, it's hard to describe why it feels like that could be a part of my depression and breakdowns. It just makes a strange sort of sense to me. Maybe I'll be able to explain it once I've spent more time thinking it over.

Sandra1746
05-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Changes for a better tomorrow implies that the loss of "yesterday" leads to the gains of "tomorrow". Every door that closes presents a new path forward, but a smooth path is not guaranteed.

Focus on the positives in front of you and your new life and the beauty of the present day. Don't look back and mourn things that are gone and can never be again. It isn't easy but life isn't always easy.

Stay positive and stay focused.

Good luck and best wishes,
Hugs,
Sandra1746

Kaitlyn Michele
05-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Many times i have felt that grief for my "old life" played a part in my feelings...
i used death imagery in my thinking quite often to describe to others how i felt.. i

FWIW
I found that as i transitioned, my "two" lives didnt feel separate at all...
I certainly feel bad about some decisions and guilty about how i made other people feel, but i don't feel that my old life is buried, dead or gone...

pamela_a
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I thank the gods "he" is gone; dead and buried. Not knowing how my life would have been had I never been born with this terrible curse I can't say what I have now is better or worse but there is NO sense of loss from this woman regarding "him"

Kristy_K
05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
After the first few months of my transition I don't even think about my old life. Maybe it is because I only focus on the positives in my life plus I have been having to much fun to think about the past.