PDA

View Full Version : Crossplay?

mykhelee
05-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Hello out there,
I have read the phrase..."am into crossplay". Now I admit I do not try and keep up with what the current slang for this or that happens to be and can figure it out by paying attention to the kids and grands....doubt I will ever hear this one round the ol dinner table....but what does it mean?

Vieja
05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I have never heard the term but would also like to know what it means. Could it be another term for cross dressing?

Vieja

Lesley_Roberta
05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Just a guess, but I know that Cosplay is a term denoting dressing up as a personality from something fictional ie Star Wars, Anime, Comic books.

I am pretty sure crossplay is just dressing as the opposing gender in a manner that means it was just done as a lark and would not be considered important to the individual routinely. I say that, as the term 'play' in crossplay to me denotes the person only does it or did it for laughs.

Kate Simmons
05-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I think it may be a form of role playing as Lesley said. I tend to do that when I'm dancing at the club and "acting out" to the song being played.:)

divamissz
05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Crossplay is a combination of crossdressing and cosplay. Cosplay is dressing like a cartoon or comics character. It's done at anime and sci-fi conventions a lot, with varying degrees of success. I've seen some great crossplay, and would like to try it myself but I don't have either the costume making chops or the knowledge of the subject matter...

Pythos
05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Actually crossplay is when a person of one gender dresses up as a character from anime, sci fi, or fantasy, of another gender.
In other words, I crossplay as catwoman, and my GF crossplays as Batman.
Sometimes it is done as a joke, and the results are usually terrible. Other times, such as in my case, it is hard to tell I am indeed male. Crossplay is much more fun than cosplay due to the extra effort needed to represent the character you are playing as.

Note: This term along with coplay is usually associated with Japanese Anime generas, and not so much contemporary generas.

Sallee
05-15-2012, 11:31 AM
It does sound like fun especially if you can make it all work convincingly

Brittany CD
05-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Crossplay is an act of crossdressing and cosplay, which is generally dressing up as an anime character or superhero, but it could apply to other entertainment venues. Crossplay is doing cosplay but as the other gender. For example, I would be doing cosplay if I went as Superman at Comic Con. Crossplay would be if I dressed up as Wonder Woman

mykhelee
05-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Thank you all....I get it now....this would be like the year I went out to the bar on Halloween as a very well put together Wonder Woman. I learned a new word today.