PDA

View Full Version : Do you act like a woman?

Kate Simmons
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
This is mainly for those who go out en femme on a regular basis and interact with society in general but everyone is welcome to comment. The "walk" and the "talk" notwithstanding, do you feel that you really act like a woman when interacting with other folks? By that I mean by facial expressions, body language, gestures, and expressions. A lot of it has to do with comfort level and how we feel in our own skin and female presentation so how do you feel you do in this respect? I've gotten to the point where most of it has become second nature in femme mode but it wasn't always that way.What do you think?:)

Rebecca Star
05-17-2012, 04:02 PM
In guy mode some people think I'm gay - my SO can testify otherwise. But, when en femme she says I'm even more girly than her. I wont deny it, I feel totally female when dressed, right down to the mannerism etc..etc.

Great topic Kate :)

Added - I don't go out but I figured I'd comment.

carhill2mn
05-17-2012, 04:18 PM
When ever I am out en femme I do my best to act and talk like I think a woman would. Apparently, I do OK as I have never had an unpleasant reaction. Since I spend so much time en femme I no longer have to think very much about how to act when I am out in public.

Kimberlyfaye
05-17-2012, 04:24 PM
I act both ways. Sometimes I have male mannerisms and other times female. When I'm en femme I act more girly than my girlfriend. I even act more girly than her when in guy mode lols. When dressed I play with my wig and always want to adjust my makeup. I sit like a girl and try my best to walk like one.

Just thought I would comment as I would be one to go out often if I had more time for it.

Deidre
05-17-2012, 04:29 PM
yes even when im trying not to i do

2B Natasha
05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I think I pretty much just act like me when I go out. By that I mean. When in the dreaded DRAB ti some. I still eat with a pinkie out. I cross my legs at the knee. I curl my legs up undere when I sit in the sofa or chair and a half. I drink the same drinks. I don't try and become MORE womanly because I'm not trying to be MORE masculine the other times. I don't try and change my voice en femme either. I talk with my hands. I touch people I look them
In the eye. I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I am who I am. Yes I do get out.

With that said. My soon to be wife tells me that yes. There are certain mannerisms that are more evident when en femme then drab. But I don't try. They just come out.

In the end. I'm secure enough in myself that I am who I am. I do what I do. I go where and when I want. I make no excuses not to I feel a need to justify myself to anyone any more.

Lesley_Roberta
05-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Nooooooo idea.

I have only the reactions of my friends.

'Les you listen to chic music'.

I complain like a housewife.

When not in person, and when online, and when a person is not aware of my gender, I get mistaken for female.

Kate Simmons
05-17-2012, 04:35 PM
yes even when im trying not to i doI know. My usual response when someone tells me I throw like a girl, I tell them "Well, I hope so!". I also seem to get away with more on the dance floor en femme than en homme.:battingeyelashes::)

KimberlyJean
05-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I do try to act like a woman, by walking, moving my arms and hands more, that kind of thing. I smile alot more when out en femme, but for me it is easy to act female when I am being treated completely different than I nomally get treated. Normally people give me a wide berth and do not act friendly, they usually don't actively engage me in conversation, I have been told more than a few times that I am scarey. Now out as Kimberly it is a night and day difference, for one example, I was walking into JC Penney and these other two women just came up to walk with me and we all got to the door at the same time, they weren't scared, apprehensive or even the slightest bit concerned about how to interact with me. I really enjoy seeing a different side of people, most of it is good.

kimdl93
05-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Kate, I certainly try, but ill be thefirst to admit that I probably fail as often as I succeed. I do have some lifelong, ingrained behaviors that others, not so politely have characterized as effeminate. But other aspects of my appearance and demeanor certainly fall short.

Erin McShea
05-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I am not out and about(yet). but when i am in girlie mood ,I'm much more girlie than my wife. i guess I'm making up for lost time...haha

natacsha
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
I feel like me. Girly at heart but I put on a good act as a male. Being feminine is too natural to deny...I feel like a girl, I can understand them and their psyche much better than I should but I'm also drawn to it. and hearing from my father and mother at early ages day I should have been born a girl and other people throughout my life confuse me with one, I'm beginning to accept that more and more but I'm afraid to where it may lead...I don't really go out in public btw. But I'm trying to work on that

mykhelee
05-17-2012, 07:50 PM
I have always had a very effeminate manner as far as using hand gestures while speaking, accused of walking like a girl, being fussy about cleanliness.....I have always had to make sure to act manly enough as I worked in machinery build shops for years.

For some enough practice and it will become second nature, the problem arises when you are out in drab and what was second nature has become first.
Khelli

Caroline_Femmy
05-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!
How could you say that?!!!
You really didn't know that I'm Super hot woman?!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Karren H
05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't think I act like a woman when out enfemme.... Though they seem to act a lot like me!

NathalieX66
05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
I will simply say this:

Being Stompy the Elephant while wearing heels in public has a way of ruining the whole experience. :battingeyelashes:

Stephenie S
05-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Just a short question here for you all to think about.

Exactly what is "Acting like a woman"? Women, may I remind you, are quite as diverse as men are. Acting "like a woman" seems insultingly stereotypical. Can you, for instance, "act like an African American"?

S

Lesley_Roberta
05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Good call Stephenie S. Nice observation.

I get told I dance like a girl. I have always thought men suck at dancing. Well it seems like that in my world at least.

I was not aware it is girlie to use a lot of arm movement while walking.

Come to think of it, the worst slobs I know (other than my brother Oscar Madison the second) seem to all be women. Well their homes/apartments that is.

My wife has some cliched guy behaviours too.
I once got annoyed with her and just flat out asked her if her mother even taught her the basics (hygiene). Some days she seems to act like a 6 year old.
She is not all day in the bathroom, that would be me. I go through my nice scented bath soaps 3-4 times as fast as her.

Women don't own some cliches like we might think.

sierra_g
05-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I've noticed that since I have dropped my "act manly" wall and not worried about it, I am a bit more feminine in my mannerisms. I have to actually think about it and put in effort to put the manly wall up again. I don't stumble over myself now that I'm not trying. Kinda nice. I don't usually use my hands to talk, but I don't think that is something all GG's do, my wife doesn't talk with her hands, and most of the women through my life don't.

Brittany CD
05-17-2012, 09:39 PM
I don't go out since I don't have a woman's voice and I'm not entirely confident about my appearance, but I think I have a good idea on how to act like a girl

diane too
05-17-2012, 11:52 PM
i am getting better at it since i grew my nails long and keep them coated with clear polish, every time i pick something up or touch something my long nails remind me to be dainty

Courtney_Glenn
05-18-2012, 12:09 AM
....I act like me :)

Kate Simmons
05-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Just for clarification, I was referring to the "typical" assessment by most of society when assuming one is either male or female by observing their actions, body language, mannerisms, etc.Do you feel that others assume that you are a woman at first glance by your actions? What I was not trying to do was stereotype anyone just a self assessment of how you feel others may see you according to the generalized view of society.:)

Wendy Seymone
05-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Can't really understand the need for putting on an act... but maybe that is just me.
I much prefer to allow those that I have interactions with to decide for themselves.

Renee W
05-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Although I don't go out when dressed, I do try to do many things like a women would do them. That includes walking (mainly because of heels) and sitting proper. My wife even told me one of the first times that I was dressed en femme around her, that if I was wearing a dress, I needed to keep my legs or ankles crossed.

Kate Simmons
05-18-2012, 06:04 AM
I'm not talking about putting on an "act". I'm asking if you feel you act like a woman when en femme and do you think others make that assumption based on observation?:)

Claire Cook
05-18-2012, 06:13 AM

Me too .. and if I use more "feminine mannerisms" when I'm out and about, it's just natural and happens. Goes with my general sense of completeness when i'm dressed.

lauraabdl
05-18-2012, 06:48 AM
I now live mainly as a girl these past six months and have no plan on changeing. I feel that my masnnerisms have become more enfemme over time. The other day I was so amazed when I walked out of a shop in the downtown area, a truck full of younger red necks drove by and one leaned out the window and wolf wishiled at me and then said how nice I looked, it really boosted my confidence level. It tells me I'm very much at the point where I have been striveing for so long, a comfort level with myself and my presentation:):thumbsup:

Lesley_Roberta
05-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Good use of context Kate.

Do WE feel it is an act when we are dressed might be a good variable on the question.

I am sure it isn't an 'act' for me, but, I must remain realistic, being only recently introduced to Leslie, I am sure he's managed to condition this body to mangle things in a lot of ways I just won't 'see' as being contradictory to what I wish to be the case.

The arms thing for instance, I have never really kept track of this.
I am sure I sit all wrong.
Comically, I have been finding my speech doesn't sit well with me a bit more so. Clean it up Leslie, you're too vulgar, too rude, and you sure ain't up to the standards of my idea of the perfect woman (mom). The swearing has to go (I don't care how much modern young girls swear, I was brought up in a different time).

I have also noticed I get more annoyed with the over the top idiotic fan service in more recent years anime. Coooooome on, really? you think that is genuinely needed in this particular anime? It was doing fine till that scene.

urmila11
05-18-2012, 07:34 AM
yes when dressed, i automatically act like a woman, and my wife who is the only one who has seen me completely dressed thinks i am natural and treats me like a woman

Amber Anderson
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Only when Im dressed,

RainyNightGirl
05-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Although I have not been out enfemme in public yet, I try while I am dressed to have mannerisms like that of women I have observed, but I am not a good actress and so am probably over emphasising them. I would like to get to a stage where I am very comfortable and able to act like a woman. I think I would be more likely to pass as a woman by having better feminine traits and mannerisms in walking in heels (arm movements and holding bags and purses), how to sit, get in/out of a car, and perusing the shops. I must admit I am maybe being over hard on myself but when I do go out enfemme for the first time (I envisage a shopping mall), I want to blend is as best I can and acting like a woman is key in my mind.

Kaz
05-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I try to be as feminine as I can.. a tough call!

KellyJameson
05-18-2012, 06:34 PM
I become extremely self conscious when I try to act or play a role whether it is the male role or the female role and this self consciousness builds into anxiety and if I'm not careful a full blown panic attack so I can not be any other way than I am or I become nervous.

I walk differently in heels than hiking boots because the heels require it, I sit differently in a skirt than pants because the skirt requires it. I avoid touching my face when wearing makeup because the makeup requires it.

I'm careful talking to others unless I'm confident they know I'm not female and I do not sense they have a problem with that.

In general I do not act like women because women tend to be more vocal and dramatic than I am. My movements and voice are naturally subdued and the few women I meet that do act like me are usually much older than I am and there is a solid self assured quietness about them.

I personally have no interest in acting like a woman but I do enjoy doing many of the things they traditionally do and I certainly prefer looking like one over not looking like one.

ELIZABETH46
05-18-2012, 11:44 PM
i have always feel ( all my life pretty much ) that i am a woman. So my "mannerism" has all ways shown some female tendencies.
now that i am "out" ( thanks to my SO ) i am just "me".
the "dressed up" thing is GREAT, but it dosen't change what is inside.

brandi.tgurl
05-19-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm pretty sure i pull it off both ways. Sometimes, i want to be dressed and act feminine, but i'm not feeling girly- i probably come of more as tom boy. I'm sure i could be read by some on these days too. I find this especially when i'm not feeling comfortable - maybe my makeup isn't right, or my clothes don't fit correctly. it makes me a little conscience of the need to play the part. other times, especially if everything is just right, i'm completely comfortable and being a woman through my mannerisms and actiosn doesn't even take any thought. i've read some posts here about being "interpreted" as gay when in drab. and this happens often for me... so i probably fall under androgynous in my mannerisms.

Rogina B
05-19-2012, 03:00 PM
The facial expressions are so very hard to copy...being expressive in a way that matches the words..lol I find that I really have to loosen up to do that easily. One of the dead giveaways,I think

Nicole Brown
05-19-2012, 04:10 PM
When out and about as Nicole I am a woman in looks, thoughts and spirit. So by default I act as a woman would under the same situations. It has all become so second nature to me that I really don't even think about it anymore.

Annie M
05-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Some times I feel the woman over take the man even in male mode. It can be rather unsettling.

April Lyn
05-20-2012, 08:01 AM
I just reciently told by a life long friend that I came out to, that I have always had very female hand gestures, so he wasnt surprised with the news at all.

- April :daydreaming:

kristinacd55
05-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Well, my wife claims that I'm more feminine acting than other men. Hard for me to tell though unless I was to watch a video I guess!

Sandygal
05-20-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't go out dressed and only a very few people know I dress at home. But recently we have gone to a few outings and a wedding. Pictures started to show up and when I saw myself, I couldn't believe it. I always came off sitting very feminine, It's hard to explain, but if you super imposed a womans head on the pic, you would think its a girl. I'm not doing this on purpose and I wonder if anyone else notices?

PetiteTonya
05-20-2012, 08:24 AM

:) ....I'm really not sure there is any better way to say it

GiannaD
05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
The more fem I can be, the better I feel!

ArleneRaquel
05-24-2012, 03:07 PM
The more fem I can be, the better I feel!

Same here Gianna, I just love being dressed as a woman.

suchacutie
05-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Ah, now you have touched the bain of my existence!!!

Some things are easier than others. There are so many details to try to assimilate. Ok, I walk very well in heels and in general my body motions tend toward the feminine side. Those little details of not standing with feet parallel I've prettey much got down! Pretty much a success there!

The voice is not bad at all. Then language is still a work in progress. After 50+ years of only male talk, it's been harder to assimilate the change in word usage, but I'm getting there.

The problem comes in when I have to have a real conversation. What do we talk about? How do we compliment each other, or just interact. The difficulties here are compounded if I don't happen to have all the confidence in the world at any one moment and start closing down, not talking as I normally should. Women make more eye contact, smile more, and are free with compliments. It's the conversational area that I am not yet comfortable with. Just need more practice!

tina

Sally24
05-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Since I swap back and forth I still have.to think about some movements. But yes, I do try to emulate the whole package. My wife sometimes says that some of Sally's facial expressions will occur in male mode. She can't describe what there are exactly but doesn't like the look!

Kathy4ever
05-25-2012, 04:57 AM
A neighbors friend thought I was gay. She thought i walked funny in my tight jeans. Sometimes I have to think how I'm walking when in male mode.

Debutante
05-28-2012, 07:57 PM
It is improtant to me to act like a woman as much as I can when relating to others crossdressed... it's the only authentic way that
I feel I should present myself.... It feels so right.

Cassi3
05-28-2012, 09:19 PM
I've always had female mannerisms, but I've always been me, a girl. Growing up I was always teased and tortured, kids thought I was gay. Oh well, I was being me then and am still being me.

lisagurl
05-28-2012, 09:26 PM
its happned sometimes hehehe

outhiking
05-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I guess I try to act like a lady, but since I'm always alone when dressed I don't put a lot of thought into it. Oddly enough, friends have often said that I'm the wife in our relationship since my wife if much more reserved and less gregarious and I'm often found chatting with the girls. Maybe I do act more like a woman than I realize :) Oh well, I'm comfortable with it.

ReineD
05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Hmm. At the risk of annoying people with my usual 'middle of the road' approach, I've got to ask, what is "acting like a woman", exactly?

From my perspective there are people who eat with their mouths open and others who eat with their mouths closed; people who grip their knives & forks like shovels, and others who extend their index fingers on the handles; people who stomp when they walk, and others who walk in a non-descriptive manner; people who splay their legs open when they sit, and others who don't; people who walk around with growls on their faces, and others who don't.

In other words, there are extremes in behaviors: the apish, loutish, rude, and unkempt behaviors one usually associates with men, and the ultra girly-girl, giggly, hip-swaying, eye-lash fluttering, hair tossing behaviors one usually associates with women, with a whole lot of behavior that is in between for both men and women.

My SO does not give the impression she is a male when she is dressed, yet in guy mode he eats, walks, sits, etc the same way but he's not effeminate either. I tried to walk like a guy once. It was so exaggerated, it looked comical even though I wasn't trying to make a joke of it. If I ever decide to present as a guy, I'll just walk the way I walk normally and I'm sure I'll be a lot more convincing than if I try the stereotypical approach.

Lesley_Roberta
05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm not sure it is all that important how I act in some small amount. I often feel like my friends never take me seriously at all ever.

I've lived a life of being on extreme ends of the spectrum with too many things.

I have never been normal in my life.