PDA

View Full Version : What Next!

melissacd
11-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Will it ever end...the unfairness of it all...I was watching Television yesterday and an Old Navy commercial came out advertising "Boy Cut" blue jeans for women. Ouch, how come women can wear these things and no one bats an eye...it is all considered so fashionable and so cute. Is there a cross dresser PR type person in the crowd who can convince an Ad Agency to start marketing girl cut everything for men.

If 10% of males really are cross dressers (I believe the number is higher than that) then in North America alone there is a mostly untapped market of over 50 million males. If an entrepreneurial (credible) company took the lead in making femme for male acceptable there is a lot of cash to be made...:cool:

Billijo49504
11-10-2005, 11:00 AM
That's what we need, girl cut jeans for men. I've got mine from Lane Bryant. Yes, it would be cool if they would advertise them that way, but.... I guess we'll just have to get them from the womens dept stores...BJ

TGMarla
11-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi again, Melissa. You know the score here, though. The gender gap has a "one-way" sign posted on it. The bottom line, I guess, is that women can throw on guy stuff without compromising their femininity. But women's clothing looks better with all the accoutrements...curves, breasts, shaved legs, nice hair, pretty jewelry, etc. Pants with no fly....We love the clothing, but to wear it, we have to appear as women.

If you're a guy wearing this stuff, you are a gay faggot sissy boy queen queer carpet munching.......awww, you know the drill. Society as a whole is really stupid and moronic about this stuff. But oh, well. Remember: the average American's reading skills plateau at the 6th grade level, and the #1 most widely read publication is the National Enquirer. So go figure.

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Actually cosmestics companies have repeatedly tried to interest men in their products -- needless to say it's a huge potential market -- usually without a lot of success. Although according to the latest news story I've seen on this (they tend to crop every year or so), there is a bit of stealth usage of skin care products and concealer going on.

See the thing it's not about the clothes -- after all retailers would love to grow a market -- it's about social status. And unfortunately society at-large (including both men and women) still perceive women as having an inferior status. So while a women donning men's apparel is neutral to gaining in status -- as long as she doesn't take it "too far" and is perceived as transgressing gender boundaries -- for men to do the reverse means they're seen as giving up male priviledge. Which is a major reason why we're disturbing to some folks even if they don't consciously say so.

And also a reason we're reluctant to come out of the closet. As Helen Boyd (http://www.myhusbandbetty.com) points out, in theory being in the closet lets us have our cake and eat it too -- we can express our femme said without risking a loss of our en homme status that we've often worked hard to acheive. The only problem is that it's killing most of us.

For what it's worth, things may be changing albeit slowly. Here in the Bay Area, a guy with earrings in both ears isn't unusual (although they need to be "man style") and I'm told that wearing some make-up is considered fashion-forward among some men in San Francisco.

Kim E
11-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi Marla ~
Your right on the money, hon. I couldn't agree more. :) Here we go with labels again, only this time, societies labels. Sometimes, maybe we play into societies pre-conceived notions of what we are and not always in a positive way.

Anyway, lets not forget..... weirdo, pervert, sick-o and homo.

Hugs ~ Kim

Sarahgurl371
11-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Why would any beautiful female want to wear clothes that look like a Mans? Can you imagine!! I too had to just go JESSSSSSSSSHHHH. When I saw the commercial.

Lauren_T
11-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Actually cosmestics companies have repeatedly tried to interest men in their products -- needless to say it's a huge potential market -- usually without a lot of success. Although according to the latest news story I've seen on this (they tend to crop every year or so), there is a bit of stealth usage of skin care products and concealer going on.

...and I'm told that wearing some make-up is considered fashion-forward among some men in San Francisco.Considering SF's global preëminence as a trend-setting place, you can safely regard that as the tip of the iceberg. Always remember that makeup is a multigigadollar business and every one of the major players would love for makeup to become acceptable on men, which would mean an instant doubling of their market... I would wager any amount that the biggest names in cosmetics already have fully-developed campaigns on the shelf, ready for the inevitable day. M•A•C's slogan "All Races. All Sexes. All Ages" is meant to say they're already there.

Y'know, we could all help by contacting our favorite cosmetics firms' CR execs and reminding them, "Yoo-hoo, we're your customers too..." ...of course, they would have to contend with the equally inevitable boycotts from disapproving ultraconservative GGs. :eek:

KELLYANN
11-10-2005, 10:18 PM
you say it well MARLA!!!:clap:

Shannon
11-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I had the same reaction -- I was in Old Navy a couple of days ago and noticed these huge banners proclaiming "boy cut jeans" and the first thought I had was "how 'bout some girl cut jeans?" for guys. Its that labeling issue.