PDA

View Full Version : Voice

Simply Joslyn
05-18-2012, 09:03 PM
A topic a few of us maybe interested in is well having a feminine voice for passing or fun and such. Well I haven't really worked on one to hard, but I think I may have something workable and it didn't require exercises or such, I was just singing to radio and tried something and thought it might stick I think it works alright. Anyway just want to know what some of you go through or are going through to get a more feminine voice, mine just came naturally and I'm not a girly voiced guy so I find it a little strange I was able to switch with no effort.

Barbara Ella
05-18-2012, 09:51 PM
I have just begun working on a feminine voice, raising pitch, and decreasing resonance. resonance is the key. One method I have seen mentioned is singing, so you have found a method that has been shown to work for some.

Barbara

Kelly DeWinter
05-18-2012, 10:10 PM
I use helium, It's instant and makes me the life of the party.

Lorenqt
05-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm working on my voice, too. Some days it comes really easy some days it's almost impossible.

BillieJoEllen
05-18-2012, 11:31 PM
I think you have something there Kelly. Whenever I use helium I sound like Daisy Duck....

Simply Joslyn
05-18-2012, 11:43 PM
I use helium, It's instant and makes me the life of the party.

oh no dought, when we use to have balloons set up outside of work for holidays, me and my good friend would take all them in at the end of night and have some great times

natacsha
05-18-2012, 11:48 PM
"Practice? We talking bout practice? PRACTICE?" LOL

Joanie B
05-19-2012, 12:28 AM
oh no dought, when we use to have balloons set up outside of work for holidays, me and my good friend would take all them in at the end of night and have some great times

Not to be a wet blanket, but I think I heard on the news a while ago that someone died from inhaling helium, unless it was an urban legend.
So be careful out there............

Joanie B.

Simply Joslyn
05-19-2012, 01:19 AM
You wouldn't be wrong the inhalation of any forum chemicals is dreadfully horrible for the body, I have since moved past such things and will stick only to my one true high inducing vice from now on, liquor, but I still have about a year till it can be purchased you know legally but I can wait life is too precious to destroy while I am young and will always be sure to not overdo it

Beverley Sims
05-19-2012, 03:48 AM
You have the correct philosophy there Joslyn.
I wish you a happy and successful life in whatever you do.
Develop the voice? Yes singing and imitating someone as closely as you can helps heaps.

Kelly DeWinter
05-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Not to be a wet blanket, but I think I heard on the news a while ago that someone died from inhaling helium, unless it was an urban legend.
So be careful out there............

Joanie B.

I want everyone to know for the record ... I do NOT have a helium addiction problem, I do not start my helium until after 5:PM, no waut 2:PM, er welll 10 AM thats it thats the earliest, well OK 7 AM, but only if I can't sleep .

Yes , I think I read somewhere about that, someone did die. So gals, Don't do this at home, but if you do, only under the supervision of a clown.

michelleddg
05-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey Natacsha, that was subtle and, well, in this crowd, possibly a bit obscure. But I darned well got it and it was FUNNY! Hugs, Michelle

StarrOfDelite
05-19-2012, 04:35 PM
"Practice? We talking bout practice? PRACTICE?" LOL

I never knew before this instant that Allen Iverson is one of us!

My two cents worth on the voice topic: thick, long vocal chords are never going to sound like shorter, thiner chords, but I've found that we can really do a lot more with gestures, inflections, and facial expressions when we talk than we can with trying to change the pitch of our voices. Women modulate their voices, use their hands, and move their heads much more than men do.

natacsha
05-19-2012, 05:25 PM
hahahah thanks michelle. I didn't really expect to slip under the radar completely but it was the first thing that came to mind and I just had to lol I figured it was something those who knew could appreciate. no offense meant though xoxox

Simply Joslyn
05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
I want everyone to know for the record ... I do NOT have a helium addiction problem, I do not start my helium until after 5:PM, no waut 2:PM, er welll 10 AM thats it thats the earliest, well OK 7 AM, but only if I can't sleep .

Yes , I think I read somewhere about that, someone did die. So gals, Don't do this at home, but if you do, only under the supervision of a clown.

Nothing here to say except genius lol, best line of the day

RainyNightGirl
05-19-2012, 06:15 PM
My voice is the next thing I need to work on. Barbara Ella, can you tell me more of what you mean by resonance? Hugs and thanks..

brenne
06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
When I am in a dress/skirt I try to talk an octave higher or something - but sometimes I forget! (And I have a deep low male voice!) Aaaaaaaaa! hee hee

Persephone
06-21-2012, 01:45 AM
I think you have something there Kelly. Whenever I use helium I sound like Daisy Duck....

It is much better to sound like Daisy Duke.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Antoinette
06-21-2012, 02:37 AM
When I talk with my friends I tend to speak normally. But when talking to strangers I'm kind of forced to talk as fem as I could. I could use alot of work, My voice isn't deep but it isn't very feminine either :(

Delila
06-21-2012, 02:45 AM
I didn't read the whole thread so it may have been said but how do you really know how you sound without recording it? I thought I knew what my voice sounded like but after hearing myself on a recording I sound completely different. In fact without consciously meaning to I merely sound like a flamboyantly gay man much more than a woman. I have rarely managed a voice that I would call female I always just sound like and effeminate male. I am too tall to pass but I would love to soung female but honestly is there a trick to sounding female? I would much rather imitate the real thing than continue what i do which sounds gay at best not that there is anyting wrong with thtat.

noeleena
06-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Hi,

I know iv been told it cant work so i guess for some theyll debunk what i say, any way i dont mind this worked for me i dought itll work for others, maybe one or two

Okay .

Being different & at the time there were no synthic meds involved or any thing other than what changes my body went through,

About 18 years ago my time came for my changes being my body started changes for being a woman. my mind in how i allready was a female / woman , hard wired that way, so no surprise there, my hormones started changeing , & it was in prep of being a woman. the interesting part was my voice & i thought it was a little more base / barroton than i thought would be acceptable being a woman well as i was growing as a woman my voice started to change ,

& no i did not force it mind you i was a singer in a number of choirs & can still sing,so knew my limits yet as happened my voice went in to a quite nice comfortable sound, & has been over some years, & when i talked wih people & i mean in front of 1000;s & some groups my voice was just right were it should be,except when i lose my voice due to air con on planes or homes that are to dry for my throat, then im in trouble, :thumbsdn:

Now have my hormone replacement meds helped at a later time of 8 years, i dought it though i wont rule that out in maintaining my voice in some way. though that would only have happened some years latter,

any way not of much value yet may help in some way , :)

Oh id better say if you dont know . im intersexed so our hormones do work a little different,

...noeleena...

Xrys
06-21-2012, 10:26 AM
I have been watching candiFLA on youtube for ideas, and a few others. I practice when I walk my dogs in the morning and when I am driving in my car. I haven't used it in conversation yet. I havent recorded it yet either because it doesn't even sound right in my head. I might record it though just to hear how it really sounds, I can be really finiky about things sometimes.

donnalee
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
My voice hasn't really changed, but at age 60 or so I started singing again after a layoff of 40+ years. This was started by a job situation that basically had me staring at a wall eight hours a day. As a professional musician for many years, I started to silently recall melodies, lyrics, fingerings rhythms and harmonies. While driving home I would sing the melodies and lyrics and was able to use the necessary techniques for breathing and good intonation. I also worked on my girl voice. I had the proper pitch; now I needed the proper timbre and phrasing. I was able to get the timbre pretty close, but the phrasing was harderto learn and i'm still working on it. It's taken me several to get this far and I'm still far from perfect

brenne
06-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I notice it's easier to to a Brenda-voice when talking with another CD, or a GG when it's "girl-talk" (even if I'm not in femme-wear). A lot easier to forget, though, when a guy says hi...

Leslie Mary S
07-26-2012, 11:17 AM
The other day I was the male me and I was in a store and the sales clerk reminded me of my voice when she said "You have a beautiful announcers voice!". It is something that I have had for over 40 years, I have to remember when dressed to shift up the octave and use less chest resonance. I still sound like a man but a little less I hope.
That day I said "What the heck, let's run with it, so I marched the male me to a local radio station and applied for an announcers job. They are not hiring at the moment but will keep my application on file.

Hummm, I wonder how long I would keep the "male announcer" job if I showed up dressed out.

I am not looking for a DJ slot, just an announcer with a baritone voice job.

Now I am thinking of dressing out and apply as the female me.

Oh and by the way, I do sing in both male and female voices at the local Karaoke places but only one over in Knoxville, TN do I dress out at. I love country and Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, and Bill Monroe.

max
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I haven't done any work on this aspect myself but i thought I would share this video about someone who had:

8nfr5gBFrVs

Tracii G
07-26-2012, 11:55 AM
I have watched lots of voice training vids and found is if I use the top side of my vocal chords I get a more pitch correct voice.
Its seems to be a more female version of my same voice not too high not too low.

TeresaL
07-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Max and Tracii are on the right road. Watch videos, practice, and record your lessons. Multiple websites have information. You can really do it if you want, and those with extra-deep, male voice boxes probably can too. 2d tenor, do-re-me-fa, or whatever tool you rely on to bring your voice up about an octave. Of course, there are many other annunciation, diction, phrasing, blah, blah, nuances to learn as well. The learning curve is deep, but it's out there.

The following is a small excerpt from s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_therapy_(transgender)

Physiological
ePitch.: Females usually have higher-pitched voices than males. Many people believe that this is the only essential difference between male and female voices; however, that is not the case. The fundamental frequency (F0) of male voices typically ranges from 100 to 150*Hz while ranging from 170 to 220*Hz in females.[3] In a 1988 study in which listeners identified the sex of a speaker by voice alone, all individuals identified as male had an average F0 of 160*Hz or less; all identified as female had an average F0 above 160*Hz.[4]
Resonance, also known as timbre, is another important voice characteristic. According to Melanie Anne Phillips, resonance is more significant in "gendering" one's voice than pitch. One TS woman who raised her average F0 from 110*Hz to 205*Hz over four months was still frequently identified as male on the telephone, which may have been due to the resonance of her voice.[4] However, Anne Lawrence believes that pitch is a more significant gender cue than resonance. An additional factor is the different size of the average vocal tract of males and females. What Melanie Anne Phillips calls "resonance", in terms of phonetics is distribution of formant frequencies which depends on vocal tract length (VTL) – from vocal folds to lips. Men have larger skulls, also male larynx is positioned lower in relaxed state, so men have longer VTL. Shortening VTL makes voice to be perceived more feminine. It's possible to shorten VTL by will: by shifting larynx upwards and backwards by means of straining the pair of stylopharyngeus muscles. Straining the pair of stylohyoid muscles and posterior bellies of the pair of digastric muscles also helps. These three pairs of muscles are strained during swallowing and gargling, it's why Melanie Anne Phillips talks about gargling technique. Place your fingers on your throat lightly, feel where the Adam's Apple is. Swallow, feel how it goes far up, then down. Learning how to shift it upwards and backwards while talking is the key to successful voice feminization [as discussed on the voicets yahooGroup].
[edit]

sometimes_miss
07-27-2012, 08:43 AM
My two cents worth on the voice topic: thick, long vocal chords are never going to sound like shorter, thiner chords, but I've found that we can really do a lot more with gestures, inflections, and facial expressions when we talk than we can with trying to change the pitch of our voices. Women modulate their voices, use their hands, and move their heads much more than men do.
^This. And, if you can't pass visually, overdoing a fake female voice is only going to make you look like a charicature to GG's. So be careful with the overly exaggerated mannerisms; study real women and how they move when they're not emotionally excited; they don't move that much differently than men do; we just think they are because they're shaped differently and have slightly different ranges of movement because of that.
For voices, search Youtube; there's a guy on there that describes how to modulate your voice, and change where the pitch comes from (he says he moves the generation of the tone higher up into the pharynx or something, but when he demonstrates what he's doing, you can see he's real good at it. I will try to find a link to his videos and get back here with it.

Got it. When he does a female voice, he sounds EXACTLY like one of the women I work with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7qSJ19f_QU
He has a whole set of videos that will help you with this.