PDA

View Full Version : Support Groups?

reflections-of
05-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I went to a support group the other day. It is not something I would usually do or go to but it is only a half a block from my house. So I was like what the hell, I may as well check it out. It was a rather interesting experience. It is for all people who consider themselves to be on the gender spectrum. So there were different types of people there and was a rather mixed crowd.

There were male to female, female to male, and those who are beginning their transition or considering one. I consider myself to be two spirited and someone who is a creative personality type. I did choose to go enfemme and introduce myself as Stephanie.

I did feel a little out of place but that was to be expected. The others in the group know one another and share a strong rapport. I also facilitated Psycho-social Education groups for close to seven years so it was rather weird being a group member as opposed to being the group leader.

I do plan to go again. I told my girlfriend I went and she was encouraging and thought it was a good idea. I was just wondering if anyone else has joined/been in support groups before and what your experience was like.

Thanks for reading,

…Stephanie

natacsha
05-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I'd love to go...but more so, I need to go. I'm glad you had a good experience. Do you wish you had done so earlier?

joandher
05-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I go to one every month there is anything up to 30 people there GGs M2F F2M , its a great night out and a confidence builder for those who are a bit shy or still in the closet, there is lots to gain, friends to make and things to find out about.

I recommend them to all

RADER
05-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Where I live, the nearest support group is down in Chicago, Or western Burbs.
A long ride away, and some times meet in a somewhat scary part of town.
Rader

DeeJayGram
05-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Am going to a Trans Social in about 30 minutes, waiting for my GF to get here.

Tina B.
05-20-2012, 09:13 AM
I learned we have a support group here in town, about a year and a half ago, I have thought about going and checking it out, but just have not found the motivation to do it. Maybe this year, we'll see.
Tina B.

Diane Elizabeth
05-20-2012, 10:07 AM
I go to a TG support grp at my VA every Monday. It has been a lifesaver for me. I have found new friends and learned so much from them that I have gained in my confidence in ny transitioning. they are there when I need them. Hope you get as much out of your group as I do.