PDA

View Full Version : I made two new friends

Amanda22
05-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I've been in the market for a new office chair and went to a local furniture store that I knew sold the brand I favor. I backed my car into one of the parking spaces right in front of the store's door so that I could easily load a chair. I went in and two lovely ladies greeted me. I was not dressed en femme. They didn't have the chair in stock but would have it shipped from their warehouse so I could pick it up the next day.

It was noon, and one of the women who happens to be the studio manager was on her way out the door for her lunch break, so she walked with me to the door. Outside, she read my license plate ("NEED2CD") aloud and asked, "what is 'CD'?" I said, "It means cross dress. I'm a cross dresser." She said, "Are you serious?! I think that's GREAT! I can't believe it! Bring photos tomorrow when you return." And then she walked to her car and I went on my way.

The next day, I loaded some photos on my phone and headed back to the store to pick up the chair. Again, I wasn't dressed femininely. Both ladies greeted me extra enthusiastically. I realized that the manager had told her assistant about our CD conversation. I was very pleased that she'd shared that. Immediately, the assistant asked if I had photos. I handed her my phone and she swiped through them. She was really complimentary, as was her manager when she looked. I do think they were genuine.

The store happened to have no customers so both ladies pulled chairs up to the counter with me sitting on the other side and they were entranced in our conversation as they asked many questions about why I cross dress, what my spouse thinks of it, and what experiences I've had in public. There were so many questions that I can't remember them all. I truly enjoyed answering their questions. They were so supportive and kept saying how inspiring it is that I go out in public dressed. I asked them if I could drop by sometime en femme and they said they expected me to, and to do it sooner rather than later. They said if any customer had a problem with me, then they'd tell the customer to leave because they don't want those kinds of people as customers.

We had a long discussion and I finally got ready to go. They said they could talk to me for hours. They each gave me a hug and and wished me well. I had a small vase of flowers delivered to each of them the next morning, with a note of appreciation for their time and interest in talking to me.

Later the next day, each of them sent me an email describing how much they enjoyed meeting and talking with me, and how they continued to think about me and and were even inspired by my story. They liked the flowers, too. They addressed me as "Amanda" in their emails, referred to me as "friend," and asked that I come back very soon.

It is such a blessing to make two new understanding friends! They're both such beautiful souls.

Crissy Kay
05-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Wow!! Good for you Mandy. I always enjoy reading about happy cd threads.

BRANDYJ
05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
What a great story Amanda. Funny how people can accept the truth if we are friendly toward them and come off as just another warm nice person.

darla_g
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
wow i just think that its gutsy to get that license plate

PretzelGirl
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
That is a great story. But it does raise the question..how often do you get asked about your plates? Most people will ask about plates they can't decipher, so it would seem you would get asked at least every now and then.

Jenniferathome
05-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Great story Mandy! Nice to know tolerance is everywhere.

Rebecca W.
05-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Hi Amanda,
The women at the store seem to be very accepting of your crossdressing, would you consider going into the store as Amanda? It is inspiring to hear stories of acceptance and it helps me to be more open about my choices on how to look.
Good luck with your new friends and I hope that maybe they will want to go out with Amanda sometime.
Have a Great Day!

kimdl93
05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
What a remarkable and fulfilling experience. Isn't it amazing how many truly open-minded, curious and supportive people are out there. What impresses me most is the comment "I think its Great!" I do think that many people, women and younger people, feel that it is great to be yourself, to allow yourself full self-expression. Congratulations, Mandy!

Erin McShea
05-21-2012, 08:58 AM
What a nice and inspiring story. So nice to the world we live in is not Totally filled with hate and fear!
Have fun with your new friends and keep us updated.

Erin

Julogden
05-21-2012, 09:09 AM
A wonderful experience, Amanda, thanks for sharing it! It's so good to hear stories like this.

You must be thrilled to pieces! :)

Carol

larry
05-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Your story actually gave me shivers. How nice. Thanks for sharing.

Dana921
05-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Great story and wonderfully successful outreach! These are the events that will help us all be more accepted and presenting how we feel!

Dana

sonna
05-21-2012, 09:33 AM
i like hearing stories like this goes to prove that are good and nice people in this world

zora
05-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Wow what an awesome story, i always love making understanding GG friends...if only i had your courage.

Pink Satin Sissy
05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Awesome! See? People in TN are always so nice!

JessHaust
05-21-2012, 11:37 AM
She said, "Are you serious?! I think that's GREAT! I can't believe it! Bring photos tomorrow when you return."

Amanda,
Congratulations on not only your two new friends, but on your attitude. If more of us would just have the guts you have with that license plate the world would be a better place. You know who you are and are comfortable with it, and you are willing to tell the world.
I quoted you because I wanted to tell you that I have heard that same line many times, sometimes with the end changing to 'Can we take a picture together?'
I think you have discovered, as I have, that most people today, particularly women, are no longer disapproving the way a lot of us believe. They see us as an example of the freedom to do what we want that everyone strives for, and not some freak of nature.
You are just exactly what we all need to strive to emulate.

carhill2mn
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
What a great experience!

SherriePall
05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Wonderful story! Now we want pics! Of the chair!

Amanda22
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
...most people today, particularly women, are no longer disapproving the way a lot of us believe. They see us as an example of the freedom to do what we want that everyone strives for, and not some freak of nature.

Jess, I think you summed it up beautifully. I've met a lot of women over the last two years since I came out of the closet. I've lost track of how many I've shared my CDing with, although it's numerous. Not one has had anything less than an enthusiastic response! No one has even been lukewarm about it. Maybe I'm just lucky? That's a possibility. However, based on my experience alone, I must agree with you that if we really make an effort to be tasteful and carry a good attitude, people like us.

One of my two new friends said she had tears in her eyes after I left their store, and the other said I inspired her. When we cross dress in public, I think younger people and especially women see it as an example of freedom of expression, and even a courageous act in the pursuit of self-actualization. People admire that. I know that women I've met appreciate the trouble I've obviously gone to in order to put together a well-coordinated and accessorized outfit that compliments my body shape, along with attention to good makeup application and feminine mannerisms. They instantly know I'm not just throwing on a skirt in order to shock the masses for attention.

You know who you are and are comfortable with it, and you are willing to tell the world.
Again, you are correct :) The reason for my car plate is that it seemed like a small, easy way to further identify myself to the world. Of course, not many people know what "CD" means, but my plate has caused several questions in the two months I've had it. I proudly explain what it means and once again, I've received all positive responses. I'm not an activist, but I think in small ways I can show people that I'm a nice person who just happens to think of themselves as female and likes to dress accordingly.

If we carry ourselves well and are nice to be around, what's not to like? I think the average Joe or Jane Public deserves more credit than we give them in the acceptance department.

Amanda22
05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Wow what an awesome story, i always love making understanding GG friends...if only i had your courage.

Zora, you do have my courage, and more I bet. I'm not courageous at all. I'm really just a big baby about most things. Almost two years ago, I started reflecting on my life thus far. I knew in my heart that if I didn't come out of the closet immediately and present myself publicly as a woman, I would someday be close to death and experience the unbearable regret of staying hidden. The ultimate tragedy in my life would have been to have never mustered the courage to embrace my whole self and live accordingly. This was the truth for me; I'm not saying the closet is bad for anyone else :)

Zora, I think you'll surprise yourself!

Amanda22
05-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Hi Amanda,
The women at the store seem to be very accepting of your crossdressing, would you consider going into the store as Amanda? It is inspiring to hear stories of acceptance and it helps me to be more open about my choices on how to look.
Good luck with your new friends and I hope that maybe they will want to go out with Amanda sometime.
Have a Great Day!

Hi Rebecca! Yes, my new girlfriends did invite Amanda back and I said I definitely would. I'm pondering which dress to wear. Also, I forgot to mention that my wife is really excited that I made two new GG friends. My wife is just the best, by the way. I couldn't wait to tell her about my experience and she was almost excited as me! I'm hoping my wife and I can socialize with my new friends and their boyfriends/spouses. That would be so awesome!

I'll post a follow-thread when I go back to say hello in one of my cute and girly dresses!

xdressed
05-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Wow, that's a very inspiring story ^_^

JessHaust
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
..Almost two years ago, I started reflecting on my life thus far. I knew in my heart that if I didn't come out of the closet immediately and present myself publicly as a woman, I would someday be close to death and experience the unbearable regret of staying hidden. The ultimate tragedy in my life would have been to have never mustered the courage to embrace my whole self and live accordingly. This was the truth for me; I'm not saying the closet is bad for anyone else :)
Amanda,
I don't want to sound like I'm starting a mutial admiration society here, but Wow, you just make proud to be a crossdresser. You story is my story. If you ever are coming to the Dallas area, please let me know and I'll have the girls here roll out the red carpet!

RebeccaLynne
05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
The reason for my car plate is that it seemed like a small, easy way to further identify myself to the world. Of course, not many people know what "CD" means, but my plate has caused several questions in the two months I've had it. I proudly explain what it means and once again, I've received all positive responses. I'm not an activist, but I think in small ways I can show people that I'm a nice person who just happens to think of themselves as female and likes to dress accordingly.

Amanda, you may not consider yourself an "activist", yet I consider your frank openness to be every bit a shining example of all that's good about crossdressing.

You have my thanks and appreciation for the viewpoint you've admirably represented. I'm proud of your expression, and you've earned your place on the CD'ers honor roll IMO. :thumbsup:

Beverley Sims
05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
That licence plate would have to be the gutsiest thing I have seen here.
I think it is one of the most subtle/unsubtle ways of coming out I have seen.
Even if you go fishing for friends or whatever good for you. It is in the greatest of taste as well
"NEED2CD"
I know I need 2 CDs to put my music on.
Luv It.:)