PDA

View Full Version : Posture

Michelle V
05-21-2012, 01:26 AM
My wife recently mention something interesting about the femenine appearance. She mention that I stand like a dude, that is my posture is not ideal, " Maybe Michelle may look more femenine if you begin standig straight and fix your posture?" And she is right I catch myself standing like a dude and try to fix it, it looks better and helps my lower back that gives me a lot of trouble.

YorkshireRose
05-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Hi Michele! Good post, I have a similair thing with my GF, who when I am sat down, dressed, will point out if I am not sat like a "lady". So slightly different, but I get you

Charlotte

Vickie_CDTV
05-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Might want to try a corset. The nice thing about a corset is that it will force one to have nice ladylike posture, might help with your back problems too. I notice and admire good ladylike posture and think it is very attractive.

kimdl93
05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Good advice. Grandma was right - don't slouch!

Cheryl T
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Also as I've noticed women mostly keep their shoulders back and down. Guys will pull them back but up to accentuate the shoulders, but when a woman pulls hers back and down it accentuates the breasts.
There are lots of differences, you just have to watch people when you're out and you'll pick up on the things that women do differently.

Kate Simmons
05-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Although when I was growing up the two characters were Peter Posture (a guy) and Sally Slump (a girl). Go figure!:heehee::)

carhill2mn
05-21-2012, 11:34 AM
There is an acronym that is appropriate - BOCUS - Boobs Out, Chin Up, Smile! This will cause you to stand more upright and avoid the stooped, hanging arms look of many males.

Michaelasfun
05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
So true. Many posts on here are about learning female body language/manner of acting/etc. and this is an important one. As well, I have caught myself in a few photos I've taken where I'm standing like Paul Bunyon, slouched, feet wide apart, where I should be standing with back straight and thighs together i.e. more orderly and demure. As some people put it "it's a whole thing". :)

Paulette
05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes posture is a sure give away! Carole is correct if you keep your shoulders back your purse strap will have some place to rest and it makes you look so much more feminine. I found that the smile is everything when you are out in public without it you will been read in a minute. Watch random women in the mall or stores and they are always smiling at each other if they notice ecach other.

diane too
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
when i was younger i did about everything i could to be bigger, gym, weights, supplements, the whole thing. now that i am older and my life has changed i find myself trying to be smaller, i now diet, try to eat properly and when i look at myself in the mirrior i try to "stand smaller" shoulder wise and keep my arms and hands closer to my body to appear smaller. having a large body frame can be an issue when dressing, i do remember throughout my life when i saw larger gg's, someone always loved them too.

StarrOfDelite
05-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Martin Cruz Smith in 'Gorky Park' had one of his characters observe that American men walk with their shoulders accentuated, whereas Russian men walk with their bellies thrust forward. For what it's worth. I do find myself when I'm in drab walking with body bent at the waist and my shoulders thrust forward, almost as if I was walking into a stiff breeze. High Heels are a great cure for that postural defect.

Krististeph
05-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Oh crap! I have BAD posture. simply forcing myself to have good posture is a very feminine thing for me- reminiscent of a finishing school or something. The two best pieces of advice i ever got for feminine posture, other than sitting/standing straight, :
1. keep your elbows in near your waist, as much as practical.
2. hold your knees together as much as practical.

Try it consciously some time, even enlist your SO to help/critique. You'll be surprised how well it works, and how hard it is to do all the time! But it is fun, if you keep the right attitude.

Badtranny
05-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Keep your elbows in and squeeze your shoulder blades together like you're trying to hold an an imaginary basketball.

Rachel Morley
05-21-2012, 11:18 PM
You have actually hit the nail on the head when it comes one of the biggest give-aways of yourself ..... especially if you are a person who goes out to mainstream places a lot. That would be bad. Once about 2 years ago I took a video of me walking out of Walmart to my car (the camera was on the roof of my car, no one stole my camera in that brief moment) .. but my point is I was mega disappointed in what I saw. Since then I have tried to work on feminine deportment, and luckily for me I have a supportive wife who helps critique my "performance" :)

suchacutie
05-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Posture was a big issue when I first started out, and with all the reading I did I found out that very high heels improve my posture so much that I now wear them daily to strengthen my back. In the six years that Tina has existed, my back has not had one episode...not a single one!!!

There are a number of good references on deportment, including the "Art of Illusion", which has a very interesting discussion about how women move their bodies.

tina

Lesley_Roberta
05-22-2012, 12:01 AM
I totally hate my posture.

I find it very difficult to sit correctly. And my legs being prone to aching from my disability doesn't help.

I have watched girls cross a busy street and they seem to take double to number of paces a male would take. It tends to make them look they are running more so than a male would. I am not sure I could mimic the gait.

Not sure I can make my ass sway like a girls does.

Diane Smith
05-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I second the recommendation of a corset, and high (though comfortable) heels as aids to achieving a feminine posture. I am always amazed when I sit in my car wearing a corset and find I need to readjust the rear view mirror because I'm about two inches taller due to sitting up straighter.

- Diane

Vickie_CDTV
05-22-2012, 01:25 PM
It is interesting, I have known a few folks who have had back problems who also say wearing high heels makes their back feel better too.

In addition to Art and Illusion, I also found Joann Roberts' LadyLike Deportment DVD also very helpful. It is a bit dated (it was recorded about 20 years ago I think) but still very helpful in terms of how to sit, how to hold your purse, how to stand in one place, what to do with your hands etc.

Beverley Sims
05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Posture and walking with confidence are 75% of passing, the rest is conservative dressing and something to soften the face.