PDA

View Full Version : Show off those legs!

Dayna
11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
So you want to shave your legs but you are concerned about what your family, friends and neighbors might say...have I got your solution:

Buy a bike!

OK, pay attention, this is good stuff. First, buy a bike (a 'road' bike, not a mountain bike, not a motorcycle)...make sure you get the whole kit as well: helmet, jersey, shoes, and, of course, the tight, padded Lycra shorts.

Next, let everyone you know that you bought a bike--be obnoxious about it, talk about your rides, cite articles, park your bike in the middle of the living room so that everyone is tripping over it. Tape a poster of Lance Armstrong to the wall and wear a yellow 'Livestrong' bracelet--in fact, do that anyway.

Still with me?

Now, shave your legs. All committed cyclists shave their legs--everyone knows that! Not only do you get the smooth, silky legs you desire, people will be admiring your dedication to your sport, if not your calves!

And, since there is no better exercise for toning your legs, you will wind up looking even better in heels than you ever thought possible!

Just why do cyclists shave their legs? There are usually 4-5 reasons given, though only a couple are actually credible:

1) "If I crash, it is easier to clean the wound and remove the bandages." (Sure...so why don't you shave your arms, shoulders, back and butt while you are at it??)

2) "It decreases my wind resistance." (Right...maybe if you are a professional Time Trial expert looking for that 0.001 second advantage...)

3) "When I get a deep-muscle massage after a long ride, I dont want my masseuse pulling my hairs." (Do you have a masseuse? I don't...)

4) "I like to show off my muscle tone." (Now, that I can buy--cyclists are notoriously egotistical, and whether it is their legs, their bike, or any of their other 'equipment' they love to show off!)

5) "I just like the way it feels." (I think we can ALL relate to that!)

One word of caution: biking can be addictive. Myself, I am down 10lbs, eating better, and my cholesterol numbers are finally in line. I ride nearly every morning, and regret the days when I can't. One of these days I might even be able to ditch the waist cincher and start wearing crop tops!

And my legs? Someday I will post a pic, but rest assured my legs are my best asset, and I LOVE to show them off!

Andrea's Lynne
11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Dayna,

I'm right with you girlfriend. My road bike may be my best CD purchase ever:D

Lynne

Sedona
11-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Great post,

And, as a benefit, much of the women's cycling clothing is nearly indistiguishable from the men's counterpart.

And as they say in Europe, Allez!

Rachel Morley
11-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Dayna,

I used to do a hell of a lot of weight training (body building?) between 5 to 10 years ago and I used that as my excuse to wax. Now that I don't lift weights and tan up I would use (if I needed an excuse) biking as the reason for shaving.

I'd heard about the deep massage theory and it seemed credible to me. I imagine a hard pushing into and up your quads is much more comfortable without your hair being pulled.

My wife Marla and I cycle (road bikes) fairly often (most weekends in the summer). During these times I wear women's cycle clothes. Tight fitting girly colors with smooth shaved (fake) tanned legs and a helmet so people can't see my lack of hair. I also wear fairly prominent earrings and add to this my eye wear and it's not obvious that I am a guy. I still have a fairly athletic body (but no bulk anymore) and I'm only 5ft 4ins and 128 lbs.

So anyway, I whole heartedly agree...cycling is an awesome excuse for smooth tanned legs in shorts :D

Meag
11-11-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't have any hair on my legs, but no one has ever asked me it I shave my legs. My wife said my legs look better than her's, and I like the way they look in hose, so in the warm months, I wear hose, panties and women's shorts while out and about. In shorts weather, that is all I wear. I hate the shorts they have for men, they cover to much of my legs, so I wear women's shorts that have a 4 1/2 to 5" inseam. Stretch shorts with a 4 1/2" , one size to small, let a lot of leg out there to be seen.:dance:

Meag

Monica
11-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi,

This is a great post. I have been cycling and running for almost 4 years now. Indeed it does answer to anybody that could wonder about my shaving. You can also wear most clothes for cycling and running without raising questions. I prefer the women shorts and tight as the feel and seem to fit better. The fabric and color are way more interesting.

As a by product, I feel and eat better and dropped from 255 to 175. There is a great forum for cycling that may interest few of you.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com

Monica

GiniGirl
11-11-2005, 09:38 AM
I typically use Nair because I only have to do it once a week. But, I DO really enjoy the ritual of drawing a nice warm bubble bath and shaving my legs as I bathe.

kimmy p
11-11-2005, 09:39 AM
3) "When I get a deep-muscle massage after a long ride, I dont want my masseuse pulling my hairs." (Do you have a masseuse? I don't...)

As a person who is going to classes to become a massage therapist I can tell you that this is invalid. It feels different to receive one, and to give one, with hairy legs, but if done properly it does not pull the hairs.

1) "If I crash, it is easier to clean the wound and remove the bandages." (Sure...so why don't you shave your arms, shoulders, back and butt while you are at it??)
---Ok this one is very valid. When I went down I was much more likely to obtain road rash on my legs than anywhere else. Anyone else ever pulled high quality medical tape off of hairy legs? You end up with no hair there anyway.

Kimmy.

TGMarla
11-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Or, if the situation allows, and the SO is accepting, simply tell the guys that the wife (SO) got a little kinky one night, smile knowingly, and allow their imaginations to do the rest. If later someone asks, say she likes it that way, and so do you.

Just a thought.

kysmet
11-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Another good one is swimming if you choose not to buy all those accessories. Most active swimmers shave their legs to eliminate drag in the water just like bicyclers shave to eliminate air drag. Go figure.

Just my bit.

Ericka Jean

stefanie
11-11-2005, 08:30 PM
i have never been asked by any family member, friend or relative. It has been at least 5 years....including shaped eyebrows

jennig
11-11-2005, 08:51 PM
I have been shaving my leggs arms chest for years I were womans shorts all the time and nobody has ever made a commit except one time i was standind in line at the grocery store and you now when sombody i srareing at you the laddy behind me says nice leggs i turned around and said thanks. what iam trying to say is do what makes you feel good and dont worry what outher people say ane or thing its you body and if you chose not to ape like then its your right. and with no body hair you will get better gas milliage!

Dayna
11-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I have been shaving my leggs arms chest for years I were womans shorts all the time and nobody has ever made a commit except one time i was standind in line at the grocery store and you now when sombody i srareing at you the laddy behind me says nice leggs i turned around and said thanks. what iam trying to say is do what makes you feel good and dont worry what outher people say ane or thing its you body and if you chose not to ape like then its your right. and with no body hair you will get better gas milliage!

You know, Jenni, me thinks you are right. Too often we worry about what others are thinking, when in fact they probably never even notice--or care!

Sam-antha
11-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi there,
do not we all wish that we had such weather ? Just now it is around 10.
But still, I am just back from cycling ...... in shorts. But that is not the same as "all the time".
Luv

Kimberly
11-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I've heard this many many times.... sod it!! Just shave. And hide. ;)

Vickie
11-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I think when it comes to shaving legs we get too wrapped up what others think but saying it is because of cycling or swimming is a nice reason if you are self conscious about doing it at first. :angel:

I started shaving all over a little while ago and I love the look. I prefer to shave with a razor and soap for suds. I have used nair in the past when getting rid of a ton of hair all at once but it is very smelly and involved lots of paper towels etc.

dawnmcdaniels
11-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Meag is absooutly right!!! My legs are shaved and I live in Florida and wear shorts to work and play every day for the past 5 years. Never-None -Nobody -Not has ever anyone noticed or commented. If they do then I would say I have to wear a knee brace when I play sports and the tape pulles on my hair so I shave. No bike required, If you still need an excuse then buy a cheap tennis racket at a thrift store. Get past the unecessary fear and shave those babies.....Life is tooo short

Dayna
11-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Meag is absooutly right!!! My legs are shaved and I live in Florida and wear shorts to work and play every day for the past 5 years. Never-None -Nobody -Not has ever anyone noticed or commented. If they do then I would say I have to wear a knee brace when I play sports and the tape pulles on my hair so I shave. No bike required, If you still need an excuse then buy a cheap tennis racket at a thrift store. Get past the unecessary fear and shave those babies.....Life is tooo short

Well said, Dawn--and great legs, by the way! :thumbsup:

The cheap tennis racket is a great prop for an excuse, but the idea behind the bike is to ride the thing...that way the legs are not only silky and smooth, but toned as well--aside from all of the other health benefits.

As I read your post I recalled a recent incident: saw a guy at the airport with shaved legs and my immediate reaction was, "Must be a cyclist," this despite being a CD for over half my life.

Get past the unnecessary fear, indeed!

(Oh, and if I am ever in Orlando, I will gladly submit my legs to you for a photoshoot!) :angel:

dawnmcdaniels
11-13-2005, 02:35 PM
you dont need to ride to have silky smooth legs just play Ice hockey three times a week....works for me...if you consider my legs ....eeer....nice?

Stormgirl
11-13-2005, 02:41 PM
yeah I'll show off my hairy legs alright :p

Sweet Susan
11-14-2005, 02:14 AM
I can attest for the bike riding. It's good for the bod!

dawnmcdaniels
11-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I tried jogging but that just foamed my Beer. and as for weightlifting......forget it those suckers are heavy! Atrue fantasy of mine would be to go snow Skiing enfemme. A nice curvacious one piece with long acrylic nails and gogggles to hide the face. Just long hair comming from under a bandana ...what fun that would be....lets plan a ski trip !!!!!

Shaylynn
11-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Since I've started biking my legs are great shape. I love to show them off and keep them nice and smooth. Hairy legs are so very ugly.
hugs
Shay

Colleen
11-14-2005, 08:22 AM
After I came out to my SO and shaved the legs when we were in bed it was a fantastic turn on for her now she wants them that way all the time and even asks if I shaved recently!If anyone asks?I just tell them I'll try anything once.

Wendy me
11-14-2005, 08:57 AM
i have a bike but never ride it ....but i have shaved legs ... i agread with my wife and told her i would not shave for the summer she was worryed that people would talk ... well i had a accdent with a razzor and all my leg hair fell off .... she flipped .... oh people noticed all right 99.9% were real cool with it
the outher .1% no big deal i so don't hide my shaved legs from anyone....
and most of my buds are eather bikers or rednecks... it is not a big deal.....

swiss_susan
11-14-2005, 09:21 AM
I didn't really think about an excuse for explaining my lack of hair suddenly. And no one noticed anyway not even in the showers after practice.

In regards to the massage theory it is true that its a lot more comfortable and effective if the skin is bare. I went last year to a spa and got among other things a sea salt massage and it was awesome except for the hairs that kept getting pulled out. The lady there suggested removing it if I was going to do that kind of treatment regularly.

Anyway sod it I am getting waxed soon. :D oh to be so silky smooth. I have not had great success with the razor.

Susan

dawnmcdaniels
11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
I shave every other day with the Venus Razor by Shick I think ?? But I am sure it is Venus and I never and mean never get a cut. I highly reccomend it