PDA

View Full Version : Illegal

Chelsea
11-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I've been told that it is against the law to crossdress in Melbourne, Australia
can anyone out there tell me if this is true or not?
Luv Chelsea.

DonnaT
11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Nope.

AUSTRALIA, Victoria, Melbourne - The Equal Opportunity (Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation) Bill finally passed the Legislative Council at 9:33 pm on Wednesday night.
The legislation has been described as the most important for the queer community in the past 10 years.

The Bill will make it illegal to discriminate against transgender people in Victoria by amending the Equal Opportunity Act. It adds 'gender identity' to the list of attributes under which discrimination is prohibited. The Bill also makes it illegal to discriminate against 'sexual orientation', a term which replaces the previous category of 'lawful sexual activity'.

Last week the Legislative Assembly voted against amendments to the Bill proposed by Independent Mildura MP Russell Savage that would have enabled school councils to doscriminate against transgender teachers.

In opposing the Savage amendment, Shadow Attorney-General Robert Dean said existing clauses in the Act already protected the rights of children. The leader of the National Party, Peter Ryan, also opposed the amendment on similar grounds.

In recommending the Bill to the House, Attorney-General Rob Hulls said people could hold two views of gay, lesbian and transgender members of the community. "One is that these people are a bit off tap - they are not the norm - so it is okay to discriminate against them. The other view is the one I believe all members of the house have: that the transgender, gay and lesbian members of our community are just that: members of our community, and should not be discriminated against.

During the lower house debate, Russell Savage also moved to add an amendment which would sanction employer discrimination in cases where transgender people had not "assumed the characteristics" of another sex by "medical intervention". This was also rejected.

The amendments [to the Act] also include a section giving employers powers of exemption on the basis of gender identity if a person does not give the employer adequate notice of gender identity, or if the person gives the employer adequate notice of the person's gender identity but it is unreasonable in the circumstances of the employer not to discriminate against the person.

(Melbourne Star Observer No 539, 08 September 2000 page 1 - Andrew Shaw

paulaN
11-10-2005, 08:09 PM
wow right on top of it donna.

Bernadina
11-10-2005, 09:36 PM
I've been told that it is against the law to crossdress in Melbourne, Australia
can anyone out there tell me if this is true or not?
Luv Chelsea.

Not if you've got a Foster's in your hand I believe. But I could be wrong and you actually need one in each hand.

Tina_N
11-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Bernadina said: Not if you've got a Foster's in your hand I believe. But I could be wrong and you actually need one in each hand.

Been there...done that.
Unfortunately, not en-femme. Good times anyway.:D

Chelsea
11-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Wow thanks girls that clears things up for me! A Fosters would be nice about now, anyone care to join me :O)

uknowhoo
11-11-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm afraid I'm already two or three ahead of you,
which is quite curious in that it's still Friday night here!!?!!
Hugs,
Tammi