PDA

View Full Version : What are you CD, TG or TS or somewhere in between?

Marleena
05-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Here is a pretty good link to help you decide since it comes up so often.:) http://www.transgenderlondon.com/what_am_i_tv_cd_tg_or_ts.htm

There are also some other great articles on that website so check it out. The website owner deserves all the credit for this.:)

Oh and sorry Julia, IS is not discussed here.

Text version below:

The Transsexual Identity

First, let's figure out what being transsexual is not. It is not; dressing up pretty, putting on makeup and going shopping. The dressing is really a very secondary issue. Yes, it is a part of our lives but it is more likely to be jeans and a tee than a skirt and blouse, and makeup will usually take about 5 to 10 minutes tops; if at all. Being TS means we are going to be clocked, every single day until we are fully transitioned with facial feminization surgery among other cosmetic procedures. It means that we are putting ourselves out there as targets for ridicule and prejudice. It means we are risking our lives and health to transition. It means we are living constantly with anxiety that can border on depression and often it is debilitating. It means we are willing to risk our families and careers so we can be ourselves. It means we welcome the surgeon with open arms. It means that nothing else in the world matters as much as aligning our gender identity with our gender role and eventually our sexual identification.

Being transsexual also means living in poverty for many. Some of these women have to turn to the sex trade to survive. As I mentioned earlier, careers often disappear when the TS comes out, so ensuring a continuous financial support is as critical as having an emotional and social support system. The TS needs all three and in massive doses.

The Transgenderist
The transgenderist often identifies as a transsexual but for any number of reasons opts to not go through transition. This is a very personal choice and the reasons are as varied as there are people. Most try to live as "normally" as possible while still satisfying their core gender. This often can result in presenting as an androgyne or "metrosexual" if you will. Their dress may appear as "pop culture" or slightly femme. Their lives are no less driven for the need to transition but their resolve is not to do so; at least for that day.

The Crossdresser
"You can always tell the crossdresser by their ever present digital camera pointed back at themselves."

The crossdresser is driven to emulate their opposite to natal sex but what they have no desire for is to transition. The crossdresser accounts for approximately 95% of the trans population. Obviously they are also the ones who most question their gender.

This is good of course but what sets them apart from the TS or TG is that the TS knows their gender and sex are at odds. They know their true gender is not their birth gender. Sometimes it takes a bit of time, often with a therapist to figure this out, but it is truly something we know deep down. There is no question. The CD however questions this to death. This continual questioning often leads them toward anxiety creating other social problems that on the surface can make them think they might be transsexual. As I said, the TS knows and there is little or no question in their soul.

This doesn't mean that the latent transsexual is a myth. It is very much a reality and for those who do discover their true identity in later life, that realization can be earth shattering. Of course these people came from the CD part of the trans community. This only adds to the questions the CD will ask. I can only address this question like this; The latent TS will "hit the wall" and go crazy in the process. They dont understand what has happened or where they are going. This is a time of high risk for them on multiple fronts; social, familial, career, and last but not least, mental/psychological. The anxiety and depression that result from this awakening can be debilitating and often is. Frequently they end up in the mental health system where the first "working diagnosis" is that they are Bi Polar. Then the diagnosis will change to perhaps PTSD. This can go on ad nauseum until the sufferer finally admits to himself or herself that they are trans and then they have to come out to their doctor. Suddenly the whole picture changes as does the treatment protocols. Several years could have passed during this time. Coming out at the beginning could save a lot of anguish.

The Transvestic Fetishist
The TV has a different perspective on crossdressing. Here it is for sexual pleasure or gratification. For this reason, they are not generally considered a part of the transgender population, BUT they could also fall into the crossdresser category.

Summary

As I said at the beginning, there is probably a little of each of these archetypes in all of us, but the trick is to sit down and seriously and honestly look at yourself to see where you best fit into the spectrum. As you can see from the picture at the top, there is an overlap everywhere to varying degrees.

Sandy Michaels
05-22-2012, 02:40 AM
seeing as i started out as The Transvestic Fetishist, and now i feel like The crossdresser and The Transgenderist . i guess i'm some where in between. with out seeing some sort a therapist or counsler i wont honestly know where i fall in. it doesn't keep me up at night, and i'm proud to be who i am. like i tell my sis, "i'm a prod member of two letters of the lgbt community" the B and T for those who were wondering.

KellyJameson
05-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Pretending to be a guy has worked for thirty six years. There is no way I'm going to welcome the surgeon with open arms. I hate the smell and look of hospitals and hell will freeze over before I'm putting my feet in stirrups.

I want to be a plain vanilla crossdresser even if I don't have much enthusiasm for it, I am so done with worrying about being TS, it is making me even crazier than I already am.

It is a good thing I'm a naturally happy person otherwise I would be miserable, ignorance truly is bliss. Perhaps if I increase my cup size I can stay enternally blissful, worked for my mother.

Jeanna
05-22-2012, 04:57 AM
Your signature sums it up for me quite well.

April Lyn
05-22-2012, 05:18 AM
For me I fit nicely in the middle, between TG and TS. I am daily discovering more and more about myself and who I really am which seens always to inch colser and closer to TS, but over all it just feels so good to be me and finally accept myself for who I am.

- April :battingeyelashes:

Cynthia Anne
05-22-2012, 06:43 AM
What am I? Good question! Since I was four years old I knew I should of been born female! For twenty five years I didn't no I could do anything about it! After that I couldn't afford to do anything about it! I guess I'm just ME! Hugs!

STACY B
05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Im not telling ?? Maybe when I get there ,, LOL,,, Maybe Ill never get there ,,But Im going wether I get there or not ,,Still heading in that direction ,,lol,,, Right direction ? Curvy road just hang on yull find out .

NathalieX66
05-22-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm a whatever.....guy....girl.....
I'm just glad I get out beyond my front door and be me in any form I please.

ELIZABETH46
05-22-2012, 07:23 AM
by all of these definitions i am a 100% TG, i know i am NOT having any kind of surgery, and i know i am a female.
when i get up in the morning i "think" female, act female, live the rest of the day female.
what i wear on the outside does not change that !!, but it match.

Julia_in_Pa
Hi Marleena,

Intersexuality and and Transexualisim are very much intertwined.
Since I had to transition my life and circumstances mirror image transsexualisim.
Loss of family, job, friends all of it went away when I went full time.

For some of us sacrificing our former life and the people in it in order to continue to live is the only thing that can be done.
Now I not only survive but flourish and have become successful financially, socially and spiritually.
When push comes to shove believe me I'll be the one shoving and pushing my way through the mediocrity.
After all I am Julia.

katie_barns
I am TG. I question my identity daily. I am a crossdresser. That is a given; since I am sitting here in panties, bra and a summer dress. I am also TS all thought transitioning is not in my future. I spent most of my life denying who I was until its a little late in life to consider transitioning. Yes I would do it differently if I could do it all again. Some would say I am not TS since I am not transitioning and have not come out to everyone I know. In other words, I have not gone through all the sacrifices that come with being TS. That's ok, I was never big on categories anyway. Those [TS] that do transistion have an unbelievable strength and my deepest respect.

gender_blender
05-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I evolved from a Transvestite to Transgender after starting hormone therapy, but don't plan to have any surgery other than possibly breast implants.

Nichola
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
Not sure what I am, maybe one of natures mistakes, still don't get it.:doh:

Sara Jessica
05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Transgenderist as written above is one of the most succinct ways of describing who I am that I have ever seen. And it's written in such a way that doesn't diminish the validity of such an existence.

Laura912
05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I think I went extinct about the time the oil fields were forming which would make me a transdressasaurous.

lisagurl
05-22-2012, 08:46 AM
i still havent figured out what i am :)

whowhatwhen
05-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Who knows? :)
That's why I'm spending money I shouldn't touch, and money I don't really have to see a therapist so I can discover what I am.

I 100% most definitely cannot identify with crossdressers, and trying to figure out where/why I fit was tearing me apart mentally so I had to start seeing someone.
Honestly, I feel so much better now that I have someone to talk to and I would recommend it to anyone struggling with their identity.

Bah, another 2.5 weeks until my next appointment though - but I am keeping note and logging relevant thoughts and feelings as I encounter them.

:)

Marleena
05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Transgenderist is omitted completely from these definitions used for treatment.

Dr. Harry Benjamin's Gender Disorientation Scale

Kinsey's sexual orientation scale

0 Exclusively heterosexual with no homosexual experience
1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual
2 Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual
3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual
4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
5 Predominantly homosexual, but incidentally heterosexual
6 Exclusively homosexual, with no heterosexual experience

Type One: Transvestite (Pseudo)[3]

Gender Feeling: Masculine [3]
Dressing Habits and Social Life: Lives as a man. Could get occasional kick out of dressing. Normal male life. [3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Hetero, bi, or homosexual. Dressing and -- more --exchange may occur in masturbation fantasies mainly. May enjoy TV literature only. [3]
Kinsey Scale: 0-6 [3]
Conversion Operation: Not considered in reality. [3]
Estrogen Medication: Not interested or indicated. [3]
Psychotherapy: Not wanted and unnecessary. [3]
Remarks: Interests in dressing is only sporadic. [3]

Type Two: Transvestism (Fetishistic)[3]Gender Feeling: Masculine [3]

Dressing Habits and Social Life: Lives as a man. Dressing periodically or part of the time. Dresses underneath male clothes. [3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Heterosexual. Rarely bisexual. Masturbation with fetish. Guilt feelings. Purges and relapses. [3]
Kinsey Scale: 0-2 [3]
Conversion Operation: Rejected [3]
Estrogen Medication: Rarely interested. Occasionally useful to reduce libido. [3]
Psychotherapy: May be successful (in a favorable environment.) [3]
Remarks: May imitate double (masculine and feminine) personality with male and female names. [3]

Type Three: Transvestism (True)

Gender Feeling: Masculine (but with less conviction.)[3]
Dressing Habits and Social Life: Dresses constantly or as often as possible. May live and be accepted as woman. May dress underneath male clothes, if no other chance.[3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Heterosexual, except when dressed. Dressing gives sexual satisfaction with relief of gender discomfort. May purge and relapse. [3]
Kinsey Scale: 0-2 [3]
Conversion Operation: Actually rejected, but idea can be attractive. [3]
Estrogen Medication: Attractive as an experiment. Can be helpful emotionally [3]
Psychotherapy: If attempted is usually not successful as to cure. [3]
Remarks: May assume double personality. Trend toward transsexualism. [3]

Type Four: Transsexual (Nonsurgical)[3]

Gender Feeling: Undecided. Wavering between TV and TS. [3]
Dressing Habits and Social Life: Dresses as often as possible with insufficient relief of his gender discomfort. May live as a man or woman; sometimes alternating.[3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Libido often low. Asexual or auto-erotic. Could be bisexual. Could also be married and have children. [3]
Kinsey Scale: 1-4 [3]
Conversion Operation: Attractive but not requested or attraction not admitted. [3]
Estrogen Medication: Needed for comfort and emotional balance. [3]
Psychotherapy: Only as guidance; otherwise refused or unsuccessful. [3]
Remarks: Social life dependent upon circumstances. [3]

Type Five: True Transsexual (moderate intensity)[3]

Gender Feeling: Feminine (trapped in male body) [3]
Dressing Habits and Social Life: Lives and works as woman if possible. Insufficient relief from dressing. [3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Libido low. Asexual auto-erotic, or passive homosexual activity. May have been married and have children.[3]
Kinsey Scale: 4-6 [3]
Conversion Operation: Requested and usually indicated. [3]
Estrogen Medication: Needed as substitute for or preliminary to operation. [3]
Psychotherapy: Rejected. Useless as to cure. Permissive psychological guidance. [3]
Remarks: Operation hoped for and worked for. Often attained. [3]

Type Six: True Transsexual (high intensity)[3]
Gender Feeling: Feminine. Total psycho-sexual inversion. [3]
Dressing Habits and Social Life: May live and work as a woman. Dressing gives insufficient relief. Gender discomfort intense. [3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Intensely desires relations with normal male as female if young. May have been married and have [3]**children, by using fantasies in intercourse.[3]
Kinsey Scale: 6 [3]
Conversion Operation: Urgently requested and usually attained. Indicated[3].
Estrogen Medication: Required for partial relief. [3]
Psychotherapy: Psychological guidance or psychotherapy for symptomatic relief only.[3]
Remarks: Despises his male sex organs. Danger of suicide or self-mutilation, if too long frustrated.[3]
Benjamin noted, "It must be emphasized again that the remaining six types are not and never can be sharply separated."[3] Benjamin added a caveat: "It has been the intention here to point out the possibility of several conceptions and classifications of the transvestitic and the transsexual phenomenon. Future studies and observations may decide which one is likely to come closest to the truth and in this way a possible understanding of the etiology may be gained." [4]

Benjamin's Scale references and uses Dr. Alfred Kinsey's sexual orientation scale to distinguish between "true transsexualism" and "transvestism". But the strict relationship between gender identity (Benjamin's Scale) and sexual orientation (Kinsey's Scale) was just a result of the researcher's biases, not his scientific findings.

So maybe it's easier if we just a pick a number.:)

Lorileah
05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Well that makes it ...I don't have a clue. In my time of life I "want" but I don't "need". I do what I want because I don't care what others think now but before I did not do what I wanted because it was not "normal". Type four I guess.

docrobbysherry
05-22-2012, 10:42 AM
So, WHAT AM I???:brolleyes:

When I started dressing about 16 years ago, I thot I wanted breasts and maybe a vagina.= Transsexual

Now, I seem to have lost all desire to become female and don't even feel I have a fem side. The chart says if I dress I'm TG. But, I don't feel like one! = ??

I finish most of my closet dressing sessions with sex.= Transvestic fetish dresser

When I'm out at conventions with other girls, I dress for a number of days and nites straight. And, sex never enters my mind while I'm dressed there! = ??

So, what am I????:brolleyes:

Cheryl T
05-22-2012, 10:46 AM
If I had to choose from the scale then I'd say I'm about a 4.5

Bree-asaurus
05-22-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't like that scale at all. I think it tries too hard to lump people into distinct categories. It may work for some people, but it doesn't work for all.

According to that scale, I'm type six... (was figuring out how to chop off my own balls before I got the money to get an orchie) but I could care less. Transsexual is transsexual to me. What you do about being transsexual depends on how you grew up and your other priorities in life.

whowhatwhen
05-22-2012, 11:39 AM
On that scale I likely fall between 3 and 5, but since it offers no flexibility I take it with a grain of salt.
I guess it's better to not try to diagnose yourself based on other people's experiences, it's better to talk it out with a therapist with experience in gender issues.

carhill2mn
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Thank you for posting this. these are very good definitions. A great many people struggle (too much IMHO) to figure out
"what they are". Apparently, most people need to use a label of some kind to better understand.

In my own case, I have always known that I am a CD.

BTW, I have never been a fan of Harry Benjamin.

meganmartin
05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I consider myself a part time t-girl, because i am a little more than a cross-dresser and lot less than a transsexual.
But if if confuses some why i consider myself part time t-girl i just say I am a cross-dresser.

Frédérique
05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
I take issue with this part of the quoted text:

...what sets them (the CD) apart from the TS or TG is that the TS knows their gender and sex are at odds. They know their true gender is not their birth gender. Sometimes it takes a bit of time, often with a therapist to figure this out, but it is truly something we know deep down. There is no question. The CD however questions this to death. This continual questioning often leads them toward anxiety creating other social problems that on the surface can make them think they might be transsexual. As I said, the TS knows and there is little or no question in their soul.

This doesn't mean that the latent transsexual is a myth. It is very much a reality and for those who do discover their true identity in later life, that realization can be earth shattering. Of course these people came from the CD part of the trans community. This only adds to the questions the CD will ask. I can only address this question like this; The latent TS will "hit the wall" and go crazy in the process.

I’ve said it before, and I‘ll say it again – apparently I don’t belong here, because I have never driven myself crazy by asking such ridiculous questions. Whoever wrote this shallow blurb about crossdressers assumes that they need therapy to figure themselves out, which is another way of saying that a problem of sexual identity exists. I don’t feel that way, and I have never felt that way about this hedonistic pleasure I get from dressing. Do we have to assume that it’s all about sex, simply because gender lines have been crossed? I think tactile sensations need to be mentioned, and not in a fetishistic sense, perhaps even leading to a tacit acknowledgement that there are some pretty ordinary crossdressers out there. I am one of the latter, and it is very frustrating to be clinically dissected like some unfortunate insect (we ARE the cockroaches of society, remember?). Continual questioning? I don’t think so...
:hmph:

PaulaAnn
05-22-2012, 12:55 PM
I decided to avoid the labels and definitions of who and what I am. Saved me all manner of heartburn and doubts .I am a woman ,think and act as one .As I'm 64 ,I'll forgo the surgery,however T blockers will serve me nicely.I lost most of my prostate last year so my sex drive has been somewhat modified.I like to dress in a "sexy " manner when I'm with a special person, I like to dress well when out in public but I just as easy will go about in slacks ,t-shirt and low heels (hate flats ).I just enjoy knowing that I'm where I want to be...I'm happy as my own woman.
Paula.

Wildaboutheels
05-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Me? Just a guy with a quirk. And that is good enough for me. I don't "fit in" anywhere but I don't need to.

EVERYone I know has different "things" that make them unique and I work with a very large number of people.

Why does Society in general have to make such an issue of the clothes people choose to wear? They are just the wrapper and MAY in no way be indicative of the person inside. And mannerisms? As in an [sometimes] obvious man dressing and "acting" as a woman? As long as that person or ANY person treats you with courtousy and respect WHY should there be a problem?

Of course there are an awful lot of frustrated people in the world today who will gladly use any excuse, anyONE or anything to be able to vent or complain.

Rachel Renee
05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
For me I fit nicely in the middle, between TG and TS. I am daily discovering more and more about myself and who I really am which seens always to inch colser and closer to TS, but over all it just feels so good to be me and finally accept myself for who I am.

- April :battingeyelashes:
I feel like this sums it up nicely for me, too. For most of my life I considered myself just a plain old CD but in the last five or so years, things have changed. Considerably. It's not just about clothes, as I once thought. It's more about how I feel in my head and heart. I don't always need to dress up to feel feminine but it helps resolve the discrepancy I feel between inner and outer. I don't know where I will be in another five or ten years but I can't honestly rule anything out. I am already much deeper down the rabbit hole than I ever thought I'd be. So I find myself between TG and TS on the scale, but I'm not currently sure exactly where. And so the journey continues....

Lyndaloves
05-22-2012, 03:19 PM
To me I am a Trangenderist. I long to be the woman I know I am.
But with the passing years and because this topic was a complete NO NO in my years, I had done the noble male thing and taken a wife and had a child. If I knew then what I know now and had all the info available thats out there now, I would be a woman now and be alittle upset I couldn't have carried that child in me, to breast feed, and yes get my period, and to be made love to by my man. Sex to me is part of life and being experiencing what a woman feels during intercouse would be the ultimate reward.

Foxglove
05-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi, Marleena! Right now I feel like I'm somewhere between TG and TS. But that's only right now. I can't say anything about what my feelings in the future might be. I think my answer to every good question in life is "Undecided".

Annabelle

Bree-asaurus
05-22-2012, 03:22 PM
To me I am a Trangenderist. I long to be the woman I know I am.
But with the passing years and because this topic was a complete NO NO in my years, I had done the noble male thing and taken a wife and had a child. If I knew then what I know now and had all the info available thats out there now, I would be a woman now and be alittle upset I couldn't have carried that child in me, to breast feed, and yes get my period, and to be made love to by my man. Sex to me is part of life and being experiencing what a woman feels during intercouse would be the ultimate reward.

I wish I could have a child... but ewww... I'm soooo glad I don't have a period!

rian
05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
No matter who we are ....when we transform ..we feel ourselves ...again ...which means originally we are females but nature wanted us to be males .....lets ask ourselves a big question...If the society accepts us whether ts or CD or transexual or what ever ...with open hearts without any complications..would we transform back to males .....no way ..I will act full time as i really feels ...a woman ...

ArleneRaquel
05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
I really don't know where I fit into the labels category. I live as a woman, but no surgery or hormones. :)

mcvste
05-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Actually, all the labels are sort of limiting, and conservative. I guess people also have their own definitions of things.

Jennifer B
05-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Reading that just makes me think that Harry Benjamin and Kinesey didn't understand gender at all.

Am I allowed to say that about such luminary's? Probably not, but it's true. I can not connect to any of it

whowhatwhen
05-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm a bit inexperienced with all of this so take this with a grain of salt, and please, correct me if I'm wrong:

Everyone is so vastly different and trying to fit into someone else's shoes is just going to stress you out.
If you're having gender issues you could be better off talking to a therapist than obsessing over trying to get the internet to diagnose you.

Blaire
05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
What I think I am today, I probably won't think I am tomorrow. I'm beginning to think my place on the spectrum is but a raft on the river...

Deidre
05-23-2012, 01:41 AM
im a CD with thoughts of goin full time woman or as much as possable someday i dont find me dressing as arousing any more not for 15 years anyways i find it be be the "me" i want to be but only you my new sisters know that hugs :)

Mythic
05-23-2012, 01:59 AM
I think right now the only category I could fit into is CD.

Rianna Humble
05-23-2012, 02:15 AM
I can relate fairly easily to the definition of transsexual given in the quoted article, although having started my transition, I do not identify with the constant mental trauma suggested there.

I have a great deal of difficulty with the mish-mashed combination of Kinsey and Harry Benjamin because of the conflation of sexuality with gender identity. On that scale I would probably come out as a six for the gender part but for the fact that he insists that a Type Six has to be heterosexual and desire relations with a man.

Fortunately, many modern clinicians actually reject the terms homosexuality and heterosexuality in relation to transsexuals, preferring simply to note our attraction to men or women.

Those who persist in (wrongly) classifying me by my birth sex would consider me to be heterosexual, but that does not fit with reality either since I am not attracted to other women as a man would be. I self-identify as Lesbian, so where does that place me on the Kinsey+Benjamin scale? Somewhere off the radar.

katie_barns
05-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Transgenderist is omitted completely from these definitions used for treatment.

Dr. Harry Benjamin's Gender Disorientation Scale

Kinsey's sexual orientation scale

0 Exclusively heterosexual with no homosexual experience
1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual
3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual
4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
5 Predominantly homosexual, but incidentally heterosexual
6 Exclusively homosexual, with no heterosexual experience

Benjamin's Scale references and uses Dr. Alfred Kinsey's sexual orientation scale to distinguish between "true transsexualism" and "transvestism". But the strict relationship between gender identity (Benjamin's Scale) and sexual orientation (Kinsey's Scale) was just a result of the researcher's biases, not his scientific findings.

So maybe it's easier if we just a pick a number.:)

I started to post on this yesterday but refrained because what I had to say wasn't nice. My bad girl side was coming out.
This is very interesting. I don't agree with it at all. Personally I believe that my Sexual Idenity, and Sexual Orientation are 2 completely different things. Science is always trying to link the 2. From the post I see here, others agree.
The Kinsey's scale is a good tool for determining sexual orientation but I hate when it is applied to TG or TS people.
I want to thank Marleena for doing the research and posting this.

I agree with carhill2mn. Not a big fan of Harry Benjamin.
Of course this is my opinion and not of scientific findings. :)

Marleena
05-23-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm a bit inexperienced with all of this so take this with a grain of salt, and please, correct me if I'm wrong:

Everyone is so vastly different and trying to fit into someone else's shoes is just going to stress you out.
If you're having gender issues you could be better off talking to a therapist than obsessing over trying to get the internet to diagnose you.

I agree, I posted both articles for reference. The Harry Benjamin scale being the one that the medical professionals turn to for treating patients. Even if you find a number using the Benjamin scale there may be parts of the definition that don't apply to you. Point is even when it's explained it's still confusing.

LeaP
05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
The original Benjamin scale is obsolete. There are historical reasons for conflating sexuality and gender, as it wasn't clear to anyone at that time that they could be separated. Some of those threads of thinking are still in play, being behind concepts like autogynephilia.

Marleena
05-23-2012, 08:01 AM
The original Benjamin scale is obsolete. There are historical reasons for conflating sexuality and gender, as it wasn't clear to anyone at that time that they could be separated. Some of those threads of thinking are still in play, being behind concepts like autogynephilia.

Lea is there a new/different version of the Benjamin scale? The Kinsey sexual definitions in the Benjamin scale seems to cause the most issues for people.

LeaP
05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Clinicians ultimately evaluate against the DSM and/or ICD diagnostic criteria themselves and may use assay tools like the Utrecht Gender Dysphoria questionnaire as a guide. Any therapist can cite a zillion reasons why you can't use any simple tools or scales and comparisons in order to satisfy the criteria, however. Such Clients can present with gender issues for all kinds of reasons other than GID, and they also see people present with problems which wind up being GID without any suspicion that gender is involved.

(lay)People like to reference the Benjamin and Kinsey scales still because they're simple, plus they appeal to the spectrum concept. Also, these were classification systems, not diagnostic guides per se.

Marleena
05-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Clinicians ultimately evaluate against the DSM and/or ICD diagnostic criteria themselves and may use assay tools like the Utrecht Gender Dysphoria questionnaire as a guide. Any therapist can cite a zillion reasons why you can't use any simple tools or scales and comparisons in order to satisfy the criteria, however. Such Clients can present with gender issues for all kinds of reasons other than GID, and they also see people present with problems which wind up being GID without any suspicion that gender is involved.

(lay)People like to reference the Benjamin and Kinsey scales still because they're simple, plus they appeal to the spectrum concept. Also, these were classification systems, not diagnostic guides per se.

Thank you Lea.:) I was just looking at the WPATH standards of care. They seem to be based on the Harry Benjamin research.

Obviously this is not my field of expertise but I find all of this interesting and confusing at the same time. What I do see is a need for new scientific medical research on this.

LeaP
05-23-2012, 08:45 AM
WPATH was originally named the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association!

LaurenB
05-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Based on everything I've read, I'm right in the middle of the TG spectrum: TG. And I'm a recovering male ;)

Contessa
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
I am what I am. A non transitioning transexual. I will not transition because of money and time I'm to old. I find it easy very easy to walk out my door crossdressed. It should be hard everyday to set foot outside dressed, but I don't do it everyday. So I will not transition, though hormones would work and not be as costly. Beginning to live alone is also on my side of the situation. Sex also comes into question and not being gay nor bisexual post a problem, it leaves only no sex with another woman or just no sex at all. I am not torn, I see this as a progression which must be carried though to end. Its called living. Life goes on. Till they put me in the ground.

Tess

cathie pantyhose
05-23-2012, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=Marleena;2850274]Transgenderist is omitted completely from these definitions used for treatment.

Gender Feeling: Masculine [3]
Dressing Habits and Social Life: Lives as a man. Could get occasional kick out of dressing. Normal male life. [3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Hetero, bi, or homosexual. Dressing and -- more --exchange may occur in masturbation fantasies mainly.
Estrogen Medication: Not interested or indicated. [3]
Psychotherapy: Not wanted and unnecessary. [3]

Type Two: Transvestism (Fetishistic)[3]Gender Feeling: Masculine [3]
Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Heterosexual. Rarely bisexual. Masturbation with fetish. Guilt feelings. Purges and relapses. [3]
Conversion Operation: Rejected [3]
Remarks: May imitate double (masculine and feminine) personality with male and female names. [3]

Type Three: Transvestism (True)

Sex Object Choice and Sex Life: Heterosexual, except when dressed. Dressing gives sexual satisfaction with relief of gender discomfort. May purge and relapse. [3]

Ok that about covers it for me

meganmartin
05-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Based on everything I've read, I'm right in the middle of the TG spectrum: TG. And I'm a recovering male ;)

Love that line " recovering Male "LOL

Noemi
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Not sure what I am, maybe one of natures mistakes, still don't get it.:doh:
You are too pretty to be a mistake honey.

There are no mistakes, it all happens as we have chosen it too. It is all perfect.