PDA

View Full Version : What is with the trem 'Gurl'?

JessHaust
05-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Ladies,
Thought I would show my ignorance, although some may think I do it all the time, so I have to ask about this term.
I see it used fairly often, and get that it means a CD/TG or even TS.
But where does it come from?
Is there a meaning to spelling girl with a 'u'?
Why would you even want to use it over the much more attractivly spelled 'Girl'?

ArleneRaquel
05-23-2012, 12:49 AM
I guess it's meant to indicate a male who prefers being female. I have rarely used the term as I dislike it, just as I dislike the term sissy, queer, and a few other disrepectful terms. I feel that they are disrespectful, if a person wants to call themselves any term, that OK by me. I just don't like these terms.

Mythic
05-23-2012, 12:54 AM
I've never understood it's use, and find it annoying...

Mizzsummers
05-23-2012, 12:54 AM
I always assumed it was like a fun way of spelling Girl. Like saying it with like a hood accent to be all "mock ghetto". I know a lot of drag queens use it a lot because they like to sound more " flavorful and ghetto fabulous"

Example : " Oh Em Gee where did you get yo hooka hoops Gurl?"
"You Know I be all classy and Shoppin at Dollorama"
"Oh Hell Nay"
"MMMM HMMM"

lol ( not trying to be offensive.. just funny)

JessHaust
05-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Mizzsummers, you aren't the least offensive! When I read your ghetto quote, I hear it in the voices of my 20-something kids and their friends, so maybe it is a generation thing?

Mythic
05-23-2012, 12:59 AM
lol I went to a "ghetto" high school, and I would say that's a perfect example of it's use.

Simply Joslyn
05-23-2012, 12:59 AM
I always assumed it was like a fun way of spelling Girl. Like saying it with like a hood accent to be all "mock ghetto". I know a lot of drag queens use it a lot because they like to sound more " flavorful and ghetto fabulous"

"Oh Hell Nay"
"MMMM HMMM"

You can get hoops at the dollorama? daaammmnnn!
lol now as far as the question I just see it as a term showing yeah your dressed as a girl but you ain't one, not really offended but hey maybe I wrong on its contexts

Blaire
05-23-2012, 01:00 AM
I haven't a clue where it came from, but the first thing that comes to mind is that it's simply gu[-]ygi[/-]rl. Embellish as much as you like to gu[-]ydressedasagi[/-]rl, or anything else you'd like to put in there.

Though I suppose it would have to be gu[-]yga[/-]l, but that doesn't sound right...

JessHaust
05-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Blaire, that makes total sense!

Mizzsummers
05-23-2012, 01:02 AM
lol I went to a "ghetto" high school, and I would say that's a perfect example of it's use.

AHAHAHA. Is it bad that I talk like that? I am Kinda ghetto..... well more trailer trash. But I work it! xox. I think its more funny. See a big blond girl talking like that. I should prolly do like valley gurl. But ghetto is so much more "diva-esque"

Mizzsummers, you aren't the least offensive! When I read your ghetto quote, I hear it in the voices of my 20-something kids and their friends, so maybe it is a generation thing?

HAHA. I totally talk like that.. LOL. I am in my 20's lol

Andy66
05-23-2012, 01:09 AM

:rofl: Ah, that was awesome. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Mizzsummers
05-23-2012, 01:10 AM
:rofl: Ah, that was awesome. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

anytime. Its how I roll:)

Mythic
05-23-2012, 01:18 AM
AHAHAHA. Is it bad that I talk like that? I am Kinda ghetto..... well more trailer trash. But I work it! xox. I think its more funny. See a big blond girl talking like that. I should prolly do like valley gurl. But ghetto is so much more "diva-esque"

It all good. From chillin wit ma dudes I would pick up da spech maself. Ya feel me?

Mizzsummers
05-23-2012, 01:27 AM
It all good. From chillin wit ma dudes I would pick up da spech maself. Ya feel me?

AHAHA! You need to add me as a friend when your able to! I already think your Pimpin!

Vickie_CDTV
05-23-2012, 03:03 AM
Elsewhere on this forum someone explained it is a portmanteau of "Guy" and "Girl" ("Gurl"), meaning someone who is part guy and part girl I guess. Maybe some find it catchier than "TV/TS" I suppose.

Kate Simmons
05-23-2012, 04:54 AM
Beats me Jess. Either some folks can't spell or they are just trying to be "cute" with that.:heehee: My guess is that they feel they are not a genetic girl so they refer to themselves as a "gurl".:battingeyelashes::)

YorkshireRose
05-23-2012, 05:20 AM

"Oh Hell Nay"
"MMMM HMMM"

Mizzsummers you crack me up! Like you I always took "gurl" as being some kind of youth of today way of talkin'

"what's happening in yo hood dude?"

"I'm chillin' with my gurls, whoop, whoop, brap, brap!"

Beverley Sims
05-23-2012, 05:46 AM
I have heard a couple of slants on th gurl issue and I was told it ws not complimentary, text shorthand or anything else.
I remember saying "Hello chickie babe." to a girl once.
I considered it a friendly term of endearment.
But NO!
Gee! never again....:)

CloserthanthisGG
05-23-2012, 06:05 AM
I have been called gurrrrrll and by my female friends when they are trying to be ghetto. In sentences just like MizzSummers stated.

"i lurrrrve yo new hat, gurrrrll!! How's yo mom an 'em?"
"I ain't seen them since Crixmas, look like you got yer hurra (hair)did, gurl"

I am pretty sure that the girl I have conversation like this was not anywhere close to thinking about T girls. She was putting emphasis on the "urrr" sounds, like in lurrrve and hurra. For some reason putting urrr sounds in things alone makes them sound ghetto. :) But that could just mean that the term has reached mainstream usage by GGs

Also i am not offended when called chickie baby. Should I be?

bobbimo
05-23-2012, 06:20 AM
By Jove I think you have it Blaire!

JamieQ
05-23-2012, 06:28 AM
I don't really know, but to me it means someone who acts girly...Amanda

Karren H
05-23-2012, 06:37 AM
It's derogatory imho and I hate the term..

ronda
05-23-2012, 06:47 AM
why don't you just speak english so i can understand guess i am just to old to get all that

Cheryl T
05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
I guess it's meant to indicate a male who prefers being female. I have rarely used the term as I dislike it, just as I dislike the term sissy, queer, and a few other disrepectful terms. I feel that they are disrespectful, if a person wants to call themselves any term, that OK by me. I just don't like these terms.

My sentiments exactly.
If you can't call me something else nice, just call me Cheryl.

Badtranny
05-23-2012, 08:02 AM
My sentiments exactly.
If you can't call me something else nice, just call me Cheryl.

C'mon ladies lets relax a bit. Language is fun and a huge number of posters on this very forum have very little credibility in regard to using language. Very little.

Gurl is nearly passe' as happens with these things. I believe grrrrl will be the next thing shortly so get ready for a new word to hate.

Babeba
05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
I have been called gurrrrrll and by my female friends when they are trying to be ghetto. In sentences just like MizzSummers stated.

"i lurrrrve yo new hat, gurrrrll!! How's yo mom an 'em?"
"I ain't seen them since Crixmas, look like you got yer hurra (hair)did, gurl"

I am pretty sure that the girl I have conversation like this was not anywhere close to thinking about T girls. She was putting emphasis on the "urrr" sounds, like in lurrrve and hurra. For some reason putting urrr sounds in things alone makes them sound ghetto. :) But that could just mean that the term has reached mainstream usage by GGs

Also i am not offended when called chickie baby. Should I be?

That sounds more chav than ghetto that way!!

Thing is, this is the ONLY thread I have seen people surround 'gurl' with ghetto chav speak at all... Most threads here it's like there are some crossdressers who don't feel like they can actually call themselves girls so they call themselves and others gurls. I think either term is something you really have to own to use. There is something ridiculous IMHO about a 70 year old GM going, 'hi gurls! How are you today?'

As a GG, I officially give you all who are afraid to use it, permission to say the word girl in reference to self and other cross dressers/tg instead of gurl.

Amanda22
05-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm glad to see this thread since "gurl" seems silly to me. I don't like being called "girl," "hun," or any other cutesy terms. I'm 52-damned years old, for crying out loud! If I must be addressed as something other than my male ("Andy") or female ("Amanda" or "Mandy") names, then I guess "lady" is OK. I would feel really weird referring to a GG my age as "girl." I guess I'm bringing the age factor into it, but I just don't go for ultra-cute, too-familiar language. Call me "old school." :)

CloserthanthisGG
05-23-2012, 08:54 AM
That sounds more chav than ghetto that way!!

Hahhahha! I guess so. But they both kinda look the same in text. But I know for a fact she didn't mean anything but "Girl" by it. She was just using slang. If I go look at my old myspace page, I know there are lots of "Hey Gurl" "Hi Grrrl" "what's up gerl?" from people just trying to be cute. These are slang terms used by girls towards girls as well. Just sayin'.

Everyone has their preferences. To me, out of all the honey baby sweetie darling names, I dislike "lady" the most, but none are offensive alone. It's the tone used when saying them. When I hear lady, I think of a middle aged, fat, car mechanic with a cigar become frustrated with my questioning and becoming condescending saying "Laydeeeee, calm down." Trying to overcharge me and bill me for unecessary things because I'm female.

It's good to Be a lady, but not to be called on in a condescending manner.

Jackiefl
05-23-2012, 09:17 AM
I have to agree with Karren my same thoughts and opinions!

Babeba
05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Haha, yep! Is there anything more cheesy in a bad way than some guy with more hair gel than brains coming up to a group of women in a bar to say, 'hey, ladieeees!'?

Mizzsummers
05-23-2012, 10:03 AM
My point of view as its a word. It cant disrupt your life or offend you, unless you let it. A word is only offensive or derogatory if you make it offensive and derogatory! :)

Sally24
05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Of course you can't tell the difference when someone speaks these words as they are pronounced the same way. I use it sometimes in forums and letters as it makes it clear who I am talking about. Gurl means a TG MTF. What's wrong with using a word that carries more information? I can't see why people would take offense at changing one letter. As far as being called girl or gurl instead of lady, that's an individual thing. Some think it is juvenile for adult males to call each other girl but I watch the cis women of all ages and it is very common.

Lorileah
05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I don't like it mostly because it infers an uneducated way of speaking. (before you get all up in my face over that back off cuz you see I like how the cats on LOLcatz and Cheezeburger talk OK? aright) In this day it seems strange that people have chosen dialects that infer a certain lack of education. One thing I have noticed about people who always take this road is they are also the ones who are complaining about not being able to get a better job. Using that dialect is OK when you are with your peeps an all duude but you gotta talk like the man when you wants to be hired for that high dolla position.

Eve II
05-23-2012, 11:30 AM
I think it's just a discriptive word - not "good or "bad". To me, it just let's me know that it's not addressing the GG's, but refering to the males like my self that are bring out their feme desires, looks and wants.

Badtranny
05-23-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm glad to see this thread since "gurl" seems silly to me. I don't like being called "girl," "hun," or any other cutesy terms.

Well you would hate hanging out with my friends (all GG's) then because we hardly ever actually say each others names. "hey lady" is a common greeting among us, and the cutesy nicknames run from baby to honey bun to sweet pea. I love my girls and I'm incredibly lucky to have such fun friends.

Actually I think I'm incredibly lucky that my life is apparently so much more fun and interesting than what a lot of these forum girls get to experience.

reflections-of
05-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I used “gurl” when I was younger, in my early twenties; I just thought it was cute. I am not sure why people see it as being offensive, it is not meant to be. It is just a slang word and has several different meanings.

According to Urban Dictionary here is one of the definitions of “gurl”:

3. Gurl – A transvestite or drag queen who enjoys flaunting it and having a good time/ It is spelt ‘gurl’ rather then ‘girl’ but not a real girl, but similar enough to imitate, usually used in writing for context rather then spoken.

There are more, here is the link to see the rest

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gurl

reb.femme
05-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Why would you even want to use it over the much more attractivly spelled 'Girl'?

I'm with you Jess. Girl is so much more attractive.....just femme in my eyes.
I hate the modern predilection for 'down with the kids' text speak. Drives me crazy, "U no wot I mean like". :straightface:

Rebecca x
(Grammar Police)

reb.femme
05-23-2012, 01:26 PM
In this day it seems strange that people have chosen dialects that infer a certain lack of education. One thing I have noticed about people who always take this road is they are also the ones who are complaining about not being able to get a better job.

I had just posted when I read Lori's quote.
Britain has gone down the same route, with so many kids talking like they've received a frontal lobotomy.

I just think words like 'gurl' are not age appropriate for me, fine for others. Plus I think it's a bit chav to be honest. Please feel free to shoot at me, but honesty is the best policy is it not? :devil:

Rebecca x

Lesley_Roberta
05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Just another example of someone beating up my language. There is thankfully no gurl in Japanese.

kendra_gurl
05-23-2012, 01:52 PM
About 15 years ago I came up with the name Kendra for myself as it was short for Ken in Drag. Then about 8 years ago I joined a cam chat site (paltalk) and while trying to select a nickname there were already over 50 variations of Kendra being used. I tried a totaly different nickname and after being on the site for awhile and having guys continually trying to chat with me and making all sorts of suggestive comments I wanted a way to give at least a hint of my true gender.

Thats when I chose Kendra_Gurl to place some doubt in everyones mind and then included into my profile the following "Caution objects in cams my not be as they appear"
I still get the occasional guys trying to hit on me before bothering to read my profile but as soon as I ask them to read it they catch on pretty fast and this has saved a lot of embarressed guys sticking their foot in their mouths casusing hard feelings.

As for it being slang, ghetto or derogatory I've never thought of it that way nor has any of the 1000's of men and women I cam with in rooms with over 400 people in them nightly.
I have never considered myself transgendered or a girl. I never hesitate to let anyone know I am 100% normal male who just likes to crossdress a few times a week and everyone accepts me as such.

I know a lot of CD's on Paltalk who have CD or TG or TS in their nicknames and the problem with that if one is really wanting to just be seen as they are presenting on cam those terms instantly make that impossible.

There is a huge difference between being in a room designated Gay/Lesbian/trans where its expected and being in the regular rooms full of only males and females on cam yet be totally accepted by most everyone plus being chosen as an admin in the most popular room there

FYI the new Avatar is a cam photo from last night

ArleneRaquel
05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Kendra,
An excellent post, thank you for your contribution. :)

Sally24
05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Actually I think I'm incredibly lucky that my life is apparently so much more fun and interesting than what a lot of these forum girls get to experience.

Good for you!

And to quote Nickleback....."Look at this photograph Everytime I do it makes me laugh How did our eyes get so red And what the hell is on[-] Joey's[/-] Melissa's head?

suchacutie
05-23-2012, 02:51 PM
I also don't see an issue. When speaking, the two spellings can't readily be distinguished, so we are only talking about the written word. The urbandictionay definition goes a bit to an extreme, but if the word gurl denotes a MTF then I applaud the clarity. Note the definition did not include a transsexual, so we are really talking about those who switch back and forth between genders.

Pretty simple.

tina

docrobbysherry
05-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I find it extremely objectionable because it seems disrespectful in a number of ways! I care less if anyone calls ME any of those names, Arlene. Including, gurl! But, I refuse to address anyone else using these terms!

Gurl is ok, I don't mind it. The word I cringe at is 'Dude'....what an obnoxious word. Thankfully it's pretty much passe' now.
Dudess! U obviously DON'T live in SoCal! Few "gurls" here but, lots of dudes and dudesses!

Badtranny
05-23-2012, 11:41 PM
And what the hell is on[-] Joey's[/-] Melissa's head?

It's a towel silly. I wear one after a shower until my hair is dry enough to sleep on. Lately I'm also conditioning overnight since I'm not wearing a pony tail anymore.

Lyndaloves
05-24-2012, 12:13 AM
I wasn't gonna ( going to ) post here but I think its nothing more than a little slang.
Not meanin ta hurt or define anyone.
Just slang

Lynda

MandyGG
05-24-2012, 12:18 AM
before you get all up in my face over that back off cuz you see I like how the cats on LOLcatz and Cheezeburger talk OK? aright

They ARE awesome cats, aren't they! I has a happy face when I seez it too!