PDA

View Full Version : Transgender ID

katie_barns
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
I posted a story on Writers Society that mentioned a Transgender ID. I got the ID idea from a CD [Heather] at another board. This ID is basically about the size of a driver's license; With a picture of me on left side en femme, and on the right side in drab. The ID states that I am transgender and may appear either way. It's pretty simple and I made it myself.

It's not anything official, but it comes in handy for certain things where you need an ID. If I get carded at some event I show my drivers license and then my TG-ID. Really clears up confusion and keeps you from having to explain your appearance. It would come in handy if you are ever pulled over while En femme. At lease the officer would realize you're not getting ready to rob a bank or anything.

It was suggested that others might like to create one. If you Google HeatherCD you can find her website. She has a sample on there. She is very sweet so don't hesitate to say hi.

Katie

Foxglove
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi, Katie. That's not a bad idea. But what I'd like is an ID with two photos: one of me en femme, and one of me en femme and looking beautiful. Can I get one of those?

Annabelle

Sally24
05-24-2012, 10:21 AM
They can be handy although they carry no weight legally. As many on this forum know, a number of states allow you to have both a drivers license and a state issued ID. I know that Maine and Texas allow this. I have a driver license with my male face on it and a state ID with Sallys face but all the other information is the same as my drivers ID. I use the one with Sallys face to get into clubs. That way if you run into a bouncer in a bad mood he can't deny you entry because your face doesn't match your ID. I always hand both to a police officer. We will see if this policy continues as the feds try to enforce Real ID legislation.

WyrmQueen
05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Illinois also allows having a State ID and a Driver's License.

Lesley_Roberta
05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
No drivers license here, nothing really at all.

Bank client card and maybe a credit card (which I am thinking of getting rid of actually). My OHIP card is non photo (I have the old one).

People see my ID, and even when it is Leslie, people just think female. Heck my wife has used my ID before unquestioned.

I don't really think it even matters any more to me. So what if I get mistaken for a woman, frankly, I want it that way now.

Kate Simmons
05-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Maybe I'm a bit warped but I refuse to get a femme ID just for the potential shock value of the thing when someone would compare me with the picture on mine.:heehee::)

vetobob9
05-24-2012, 05:45 PM
They can be handy although they carry no weight legally. As many on this forum know, a number of states allow you to have both a drivers license and a state issued ID. I know that Maine and Texas allow this. I have a driver license with my male face on it and a state ID with Sallys face but all the other information is the same as my drivers ID. I use the one with Sallys face to get into clubs. That way if you run into a bouncer in a bad mood he can't deny you entry because your face doesn't match your ID. I always hand both to a police officer. We will see if this policy continues as the feds try to enforce Real ID legislation.

Real ID should not have much of a negative impact on TGs. The only thing they are concerned about is whether you were born in the United States, not how you dress or what gender you present as.

vetobob9
05-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Real ID should not have much of a negative impact on TGs. The only thing they are concerned about is whether you were born in the United States, not how you dress or what gender you present as.

Cheryl T
05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
I've had one like that for about 6 years now. The president of our Tri-Ess group was able to borrow the camera and printer for one of our meetings and took our pictures producing the ID. I carry it with me whenever I go out. It doesn't have both of my pictures, but it does have the disclaimer that I dress for personal reasons and so on. If needed I would show it along with my driver's license. Haven't had to use it yet, but it's there if I need it.
I remember seeing this idea many years ago on some site and was finally able to get one.

Miriam-J
05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
This sounds like a good idea, but I'm too close to the closet to carry such an ID in my wallet. But it does inspire me to consider doing something very similar on my smartphone. Perhaps a side-by-side view similar to the ID. If I can do boarding passes on the phone, why not a CD ID.

Miriam

katie_barns
05-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Maybe I'm a bit warped but I refuse to get a femme ID just for the potential shock value of the thing when someone would compare me with the picture on mine.:heehee::)

No offense Kate because I love reading your stuff. The ID is not for shock value. It just helps avoid unpleasant situation where your normal ID does not even come close to your appearance en femme. One of the local clubs in town that caters to TG/TS only requires an ID to get in. They will tell you they don't care about the gender you're presenting. No awkward situation there. Others places not so much. I was actually held up by a city police officer at a check point while entering a big city fireworks display because my ID was so far off my gender appearance. It wasn't a big deal when I told him I was TG. He apparently had training in that area. But the ID would have sped things up and save me some explaining. I don't really consider it a female ID. Just a card with 2 pictures of me. In one of the pictures I'm dressed as a girl.

Cheryl T
05-25-2012, 07:09 AM
I agree with Katie. The ID is not for shock value at all. It's in case I'm stopped, say by the police, while I'm out and questioned about my identity not matching my mode of dress. It simply states that I do this for personal reasons and the picture would not shock anyone. It's simply a head and shoulders picture showing me as Cheryl.

Rogina B
05-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Like Sally 24,I have a state ID with Rogina's pic with Roger's info on it..mine is from Florida. However,I was told the other day at the DMV,that dual forms of ID are no longer issued because of the "REAL ID" act. Not sure how many states[probably all] are complying with that.The state ID is important with TSA when traveling.

christinac
05-25-2012, 07:38 AM
There was an amendment to the Real ID act in the works to allow for duel ID, but I don't know what became of it because I wasn't able to follow up on it while I was gone.

Kate Simmons
05-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Just to clarify Katie, I wasn't meaning the femme ID would have shock value but not having one and to just show my regular DL with my guy pic would. I've had it happen already in that respect. If the conversation with someone turned around to age, I would ask how old they thought I was. Then to prove it would show them my DL. They would say this is not the same person and be amazed at the transformation. I've never had the pleasure of being stopped by police officers at this point. I'm sure it would prove interesting.:)

vetobob9
05-25-2012, 08:08 AM
a google search reveals that the change involved a federal ban on states sharing any gender data with other states or tighter restrictions on when they can share that data.

Claire Cook
05-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Like Sally 24,I have a state ID with Rogina's pic with Roger's info on it..mine is from Florida. However,I was told the other day at the DMV,that dual forms of ID are no longer issued because of the "REAL ID" act. Not sure how many states[probably all] are complying with that.The state ID is important with TSA when traveling.

Rogina, I was thinking about getting a Fla ID card with my femme photo and my male personal info in addition to my driver's license until I heard about this. Yes, Fla DMV will no longer issue ID's ("Real ID's", with the star in the corner) if you have a valid license. I use my passport (obviously my male photo) whenever I fly en femme and have never had a problem with TSA. Interestingly, the only problem I've had using my male ID is when checking into a motel / hotel and using my driver's license -- once the desk clerk thought I was my wife!

Jilmac
05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I believe some states will issue a photo ID in the opposite gender at the local DMV office. It isn't legal for driving purposes but can be used in conjunction with a driver's license (or separately in some cases), when an ID is required for check cashing, buying liquor, paying bills, etc. I've been giving some serious thought to applying for one in my state, mianly because my driver's license photo doesn't look anything like my feminine personna.

Rogina B
05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Jil,That is finished in Florida due to this "Real Id Act" Other states are following the guidelines as well.I couldn't even change the address on mine without giving it up,so I didn't. I will get my girl pic on my license next time and use my passport pic when I need to..In my life I find that I really don't have to show my DL that much anyway.