PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Driver License?

Michelle James
05-28-2012, 09:28 PM
My SO and I are about to apply for Michigan Enhanced Driver Licenses. We have realized we miss going across the border to Canada for Shopping, Stratford Festival, etc. My current license has an M as well as my male name, but my fem photo. That's OK with the state. They really don't care. I am told I can do the same on the enhanced version which would let me cross the border in lieu of a passport, which I don't have. What I want to know has anyone on this forum crossed the border to and from Canada with either a passport or enhanced license showing your fem photo but male name and gender marker? I am a long way away from surgery and and can't change the name just yet as I have some property issues pending and my attorney has recommended I wait. I have tried to research this but can find no real answer.

Bree-asaurus
05-28-2012, 10:11 PM
My SO and I are about to apply for Michigan Enhanced Driver Licenses. We have realized we miss going across the border to Canada for Shopping, Stratford Festival, etc. My current license has an M as well as my male name, but my fem photo. That's OK with the state. They really don't care. I am told I can do the same on the enhanced version which would let me cross the border in lieu of a passport, which I don't have. What I want to know has anyone on this forum crossed the border to and from Canada with either a passport or enhanced license showing your fem photo but male name and gender marker? I am a long way away from surgery and and can't change the name just yet as I have some property issues pending and my attorney has recommended I wait. I have tried to research this but can find no real answer.

Property issues? That shouldn't stop you.

My name was on the mortgage/title of two houses with my old name and sold them both after my name/gender change with no problem.

When you change your name/gender, it's through a court order. If there's any issues, you bring the court order with an old form of ID (birth certificate, old, expired driver's license, etc), then bring two forms of new ID (new ID, SS Card, etc).

Maybe things are more complicated for you, but I've had to handle property and other issues that were in my old name after my name change. As long as I have the proper identification, there's no issue.

The whole getting a court order and stuff requires finger printing and other things that make sure you can't simply change your name and run away from any liens, debts or anything like that. And if you have all the paperwork, you're clearly not hiding anything.

Stephenie S
05-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Forget the enhanced DL. It's expensive and not that useful. Go for the full passport. It's much cheaper and lasts much longer. AND, thanks to Hilary, you can get your proper name and gender on the passport much more easily than on your DL. Check it out and get back to us.

Stephie

chanelgurl
05-29-2012, 03:03 AM
i agree with stephanie. I frequently cross the border, tho im going the other way. Just get a passport. I <3 canada, but with a passport you can travel anywhere in the world.
Also, with a passport you usually get to take your own photo, which can help avoid that dreaded ultra un-flattering drivers license mug shot.

RADER
05-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Also, with a passport you usually get to take your own photo, which can help avoid that dreaded ultra un-flattering drivers license mug shot.

A friend of mine a long time ago, took a picture of a goat, and had a Pass Port made with it.
He has a real picture now, they did not see the hummer in the goat picture. LOL
I did, he was an old goat for real.
Rader

Cheryl T
05-29-2012, 03:38 PM
I could be mistaken, but I thought that with the changes from Homeland Security following 911 that ONLY a passport would be accepted for border crossings. You could LEAVE the U.S. with anything, but can't get back in without a passport.
Did I miss something??

VickysBFF
05-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I used to live in WA state which also offered the enhanced licenses but whenever I went to Vancouver, BC I just went drab. Not worth the hassle.
Cheryl T: If you live in a border state such as WA or MI you can get an enhanced DL which allows you to cross the border. It only works for crossing into Canada from that state and cannot be used for anything else. You need a passport for any other foreign travel but the enhanced DL is cheaper and quicker to get than a passport.

Cheryl T
05-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks Vicky...I wasn't aware that was an option.

Stephenie S
05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
So. Here in my small northern state things may be different. Look it up. But the enhanced DL is not easier to get. It's a bit of a hassle. It is cheaper to get, but only lasts as long as your regular DL. The US Passport is good for ten years and takes only a visit to your town clerk for a photo and an application. I got mine almost overnight by driving to a local major city, Boston, to apply directly at the State Department. The enhanced DL is good for travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas, but not for air travel. As I said, thanks to Hilary and the more relaxed attitude of the current administration, the State Department is MUCH more TG friendly than it used to be. If you are really serious about it, you will be able to get your real photo and gender on your passport with a minimum of hassle and zero attitude.

S