PDA

View Full Version : A question to CDers about Goosebumps

CloserthanthisGG
05-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Okay, so I have been wondering for a while about something.

My whole life, when something really interests me, I get the "goosebumps". Listening to a song that brings tears to my eyes, looking at a work of art, or talking about exciting things and connecting with people... these things give me goosebumps and my heart will literally flutter sometimes.

I try to talk to other people about this, and they do not understand.

But my SO does. And so do a very small handful of others that I know who have reasons for being exceptionally emotional. I am wondering how many CDers get them. The scientific part of my noggin knows that it is probably due to either a hormonal or a serotonin imbalance that I have. :) It's probably serotonin, because the goosebumps stopped when I was on zoloft and i missed them terribly.

Does anyone out there know what I mean by this? I found it surprising how few people I know understand this feeling because it's such a great one.

I was going to post the song that made me think to ask this question, but I forgot what it was.

NathalieX66
05-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Music tastes don't make you masculine or feminine one way or the other. I know girls that are into Metallica, and death metal.
Listening to Cry Me a River by Julie London is appreiciated by both genders.

Eryn
05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
By goosebumps do you mean the actual physiological reaction of getting bumps on your skin? If so, you're experiencing a vestige of the days when we were covered by fur. The "goosebumps" caused the fur to become more erect which either warmed us if the goosebumps were due to the cold or made us appear to be a larger and more formidable opponent if the goosebumps were due to some sort of stress (and pleasure can be termed a form of stress!). Both physiological reactions (cold and stress) are perfectly normal and common to both normal folk and the gender enhanced.

CloserthanthisGG
05-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Music tastes don't make you masculine or feminine one way or the other. I know girls that are into Metallica, and death metal.
Listening to Cry Me a River by Julie London is appreiciated by both genders.

Nonono. :D :D I am not talking about tastes in music by gender. Just whether or not you get goosebumps from hearing some kind of music. Any kind. Whatever kind it is. Throw gender out. I am wondering only if the physical response to it ever happens to you, and if it is frequent.

By goosebumps do you mean the actual physiological reaction of getting bumps on your skin? If so, you're experiencing a vestige of the days when we were covered by fur. The "goosebumps" caused the fur to become more erect which either warmed us if the goosebumps were due to the cold or made us appear to be a larger and more formidable opponent if the goosebumps were due to some sort of stress (and pleasure can be termed a form of stress!). Both physiological reactions (cold and stress) are perfectly normal and common to both normal folk and the gender enhanced.

Hahahha! I love this explanation. But I get them about... I dunno... 10 to 15 times per day, and they are only to do with pleasure. Occasionally, though, I will get them when watching a scary movie too. So that makes sense about the stress. I know they happen to everyone, but I only know a handful who get them relatively often and only one who gets them more than me, and that would be my CDing SO. :) So I was trying to see if they are connected at all. Because basically, anything emotional will give me them and they cover my whole body. My Lisia, I can barely touch skin and there are goosebumps. So does this mean that we are both just 'fraidy cats and very stressed individuals if we get goosebumps all the time, unrelated to temperatures? :)

Eryn
05-28-2012, 11:42 PM
People have different reactions to physical and mental stimuli. Many times people get goosebumps from being near someone they find desirable. I'd leave it at that! :hugs:

natacsha
05-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I have a final in psychology tomorrow and I shouldn't be here right now but I take breaks here and there and I read this. And then I read this. Since I can remember, I always got sporadic tingles that resulted from random things...a lot. I could instantly get teary eyed from a scene, I'd look around and no one seems to have the slightest fade of rose on their cheeks. I thought and still do think that I am super hyper duper sensitive to.....everything. chills run through my body everyday. sometimes certain parts, sometimes the whole body. For a period of a few months last year, I was experiencing whole entire chills from my head and eyes to my toes and they were intense for many months, everyday, several times a day. Now, that was creepy. Eventually it returned to the 2-4 times a day and that felt normal. feelings of love I have for life tend to show through me when I come across any situation that calls for it. The fluttering of my heart is constant as well and again, I never thought that they meant "skip a beat" literally. I wish I wasn't AS sensitive as I am but it's given me the opportunity to develop thick skin over the years. It isn't stress, or nerves or scary moments, it just comes from observing how affectionate people can be and how loving as humans we are all capable of. The sacrifices people do kill me sometimes. it's great. I still get goosebumps during certain scenes even after having seen avengers 3 times! lol I could literally watch Kobe bryant pull some incredible shot out of his wazoo and my eye will just tear up. Not a controlled reaction, just an impulse that comes super quick, tear, then gone. wow. I still don't understand why I am like that. but it's comforting to know that there are others. what do you and your SO think it is?

Joanne f
05-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Yes there are things that will give me goosebumps as well , it is something that seams to cut right into you that sets them off.

Kaz
05-29-2012, 02:20 AM
Hi, SOofLisia,

Goosebumps... tell me about it! The shape of the moon on a night in May in Yorkshire... the smell of someone's perfume passing you in the street... the emotion in a child's tears... the pain in a mother's eyes... the solitude of a lone parent...

Feeling... real feeling... is a gift!

Diane Smith
05-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Yes, I also get goosebumps from strong, pleasant emotional experiences. What I'd call "awe," I guess. But nowhere near 10 times a day; probably more like every week or two. So I think there must be a physical component -- or maybe it's a form of psychological conditioning -- that is giving you that reaction more often than is typical.

Doesn't sound like something you'd need to see a doctor about -- I'd be kind of flattered if something I said, or did, or showed to someone caused them to react that way.

- Diane

Rebecca Star
05-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Hi CloserthanthisGG,

I know exactly what you mean and have got them also but not as much as you experience. The body is a wonderful thing but can also be bizarre sometimes too.

Back in my mid 20's and going through another bout of daily panic attacks, it often felt like I had electricty coursing through my body. One particular night, I leant over to give my g/f a hug. Running my fingers down her back cause an audiable hum and she said it felt like little shocks. We went to the bathroom, turn the lights out and saw mini arcs coming from the tips of my fingers when I stroked her bare skin.

The body produces small amounts of electricity because the heart functions on it. But this was more than a little bit of juice. It happened a couple times since but haven't experienced it for a very long time now. I don't get the full blown panic attacks anymore either. Maybe there is a connection to that and this phenomenon. Told my doctor about it and he looked at me like I'd been smoking weed or something. Which I was neither intoxicated nor on drugs.

Cynthia Anne
05-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Those nasty wonderful things called emotions do get in the way! Many times I get ''goosebumps'' and or cry just by reading or replying to a thread here! I have always been that way! I wouldn't change it if I could! I call it expressing my hormones! It can get a little embarassing but so be it! It's who I am! Hugs!

CloserthanthisGG
05-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Hi CloserthanthisGG,

I know exactly what you mean and have got them also but not as much as you experience. The body is a wonderful thing but can also be bizarre sometimes too.

Back in my mid 20's and going through another bout of daily panic attacks, it often felt like I had electricty coursing through my body. One particular night, I leant over to give my g/f a hug. Running my fingers down her back cause an audiable hum and she said it felt like little shocks. We went to the bathroom, turn the lights out and saw mini arcs coming from the tips of my fingers when I stroked her bare skin.

The body produces small amounts of electricity because the heart functions on it. But this was more than a little bit of juice. It happened a couple times since but haven't experienced it for a very long time now. I don't get the full blown panic attacks anymore either. Maybe there is a connection to that and this phenomenon. Told my doctor about it and he looked at me like I'd been smoking weed or something. Which I was neither intoxicated nor on drugs.

Okay, yeah! It does feel electric! There was a part at the end of anchorman where I guess he is talking to Carmen Electra, but he's being pretty goofy. He says "Can I ask you a question?"
Carmen Electra: "sure"
"You are electric."
CE: "That wasn't a question."
"You are electric?"
CE: "Yes I suppose I am."

And it's very silly how much that conversation stood out to me, but it reminded me of these feelings.

And you're right! Whenever I am going through a period with more panic attacks, I have these goosebumps a whole lot more. They must be related. Like you get a good feeling to balance out the bad. :):) But panic attacks can be caused by so many different things... drops in blood pressure, neurotransmitter imbalances, hormonal imbalances...

Hi, SOofLisia,

Goosebumps... tell me about it! The shape of the moon on a night in May in Yorkshire... the smell of someone's perfume passing you in the street... the emotion in a child's tears... the pain in a mother's eyes... the solitude of a lone parent...

Feeling... real feeling... is a gift!

Exactly, it can be something as simple as watching the moon, and thinking about it, and then you just get covered with them! I do consider it a gift, because I think if everyone got them, the world would be a more accepting and loving place.

I have a final in psychology tomorrow and I shouldn't be here right now but I take breaks here and there and I read this. And then I read this. Since I can remember, I always got sporadic tingles that resulted from random things...a lot. I could instantly get teary eyed from a scene, I'd look around and no one seems to have the slightest fade of rose on their cheeks. I thought and still do think that I am super hyper duper sensitive to.....everything. chills run through my body everyday. sometimes certain parts, sometimes the whole body. For a period of a few months last year, I was experiencing whole entire chills from my head and eyes to my toes and they were intense for many months, everyday, several times a day. Now, that was creepy. Eventually it returned to the 2-4 times a day and that felt normal. feelings of love I have for life tend to show through me when I come across any situation that calls for it. The fluttering of my heart is constant as well and again, I never thought that they meant "skip a beat" literally. I wish I wasn't AS sensitive as I am but it's given me the opportunity to develop thick skin over the years. It isn't stress, or nerves or scary moments, it just comes from observing how affectionate people can be and how loving as humans we are all capable of. The sacrifices people do kill me sometimes. it's great. I still get goosebumps during certain scenes even after having seen avengers 3 times! lol I could literally watch Kobe bryant pull some incredible shot out of his wazoo and my eye will just tear up. Not a controlled reaction, just an impulse that comes super quick, tear, then gone. wow. I still don't understand why I am like that. but it's comforting to know that there are others. what do you and your SO think it is?

That's exactly it! :) Lisia is mostly embarrassed of them, but thought that everyone was like that. I am thinking that it is some hypersensitivity to pleasure and stress. But it's such a wonderful feeling that I never want to have dulled. But I feel like it might wear on my heart? Anyways, what I think leads some to have them more than others is a hormone imbalance from what your brain is expecting. We were reading about male vs. female brains yesterday and how many crossdressers have quantities of receptors for hormones that are more similar to female brains and when there aren't enough hormones to match the receptors, it creates an emotional lability. Increases in testosterone in these individuals causes increases in the desire to crossdress. I think it is also neurotransmitter deficiencies too that causes these feelings. Because that also causes the panic attacks...

It was an interesting thought anyway. The brain is truly fascinating, along with its interaction with the body.

Kate Simmons
05-29-2012, 07:35 AM
It has to do with being in touch with your kundalini energies and chakras Hon.:)

SallyS
05-29-2012, 07:38 AM
The hairs on the back of my neck raise when I hear the perfect note reached by a singer (any good singer and song will do it for me).....it's only music that does that to me??????

natacsha
05-30-2012, 03:28 AM
Anyways, what I think leads some to have them more than others is a hormone imbalance from what your brain is expecting. We were reading about male vs. female brains yesterday and how many crossdressers have quantities of receptors for hormones that are more similar to female brains and when there aren't enough hormones to match the receptors, it creates an emotional lability. Increases in testosterone in these individuals causes increases in the desire to crossdress. I think it is also neurotransmitter deficiencies too that causes these feelings. Because that also causes the panic attacks...

It was an interesting thought anyway. The brain is truly fascinating, along with its interaction with the body.

Hello people of the bump :notworthy: Interesting...so are you guys saying that we have a stronger female brain than male and that because of that, what would normally be an increase in estrogen, is actually an increase in testosterone?? That makes sense in a strange, kinda, ima lesbian tomboyish sorta way..?? which would explain a lot of things actually hahah I would have to actually get blood work to determine whether it's an increase in testosterone or estrogen. From what I know, it could be either. I certainly am enjoying entertaining the thought of both! Which for some reason, actually makes sense too...just extreme increases of T or E depending on whether it's her or him. Lisia makes an interesting point...why embarrassed? If I may ask. I'm was crossed about it for years but I think that those moments are where I am closest to life whether consciously or not. But the reason I wish it go sometimes is for no other than why I feel like what I am was wrong. :weep: And those bumps are a perfect example, to me at least, of the nature of this and that it is inherent. I didn't develop sensitivity through childhood. It isn't a compilation of childhood events that lead to feelings and impulses that resulted in squat. It's not anything unnatural. It's something that only reassures that I am not crazy, that I am not psycho, that I am not forcing this side of me to exist or too weak to fight it off, those bumps remind me that I am who I am and for better or worse, it was given to me from the time of my inception. Therefore, I no longer feel it to be embarrassing because what I am is not wrong. It's who I am and for better or worse I am completely comfortable with that. And forgive the tangent, I think it would be important to note that I don't think the bumps are even related to CDing per se....And that doesn't mean that everyone who gets goosebumps is a CDer either. I'm just explaining how I can relate the sensitivity of the bmps to the sensitivity to feeling feminine to everything in between. Does any of that even make sense???? Anyways...I was enjoying not having to stir my brain after over a dozen hours studying but there it goes again. Thanks! :)

LisaMallon
05-30-2012, 04:15 AM
"imbalance " really? Maybe all those other unfeeling swine are "unbalanced". That sounds hard but I tend to unimpressed by 'ordinary' peoples so called 'caring'.

I have found over my life that most people have very shallow emotions with limited empathy.
Some (of all sexes) have far stronger ones ... and they tend to be the best of us.

Beverley Sims
05-30-2012, 07:10 AM
I get goosebumps on the top of my boobs if I wear a low cut top out into the cold.:)

katie_barns
05-30-2012, 07:24 AM
I get goosebumps on the top of my boobs if I wear a low cut top out into the cold.:)

Goosebumps ? Is that way that is ? ...........dam and I thought that the HRT was starting to work......... lol
Just kidding.

Shananigans
05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
My SO and I were talking about getting goosebumps when you are shaving. I will shave and then randomly get a chill with goosebumps...and, then, it literally feels like I have stubble on my legs already. My SO seems to be plagued with the same thing. I think goosebumps are pretty common...you probably get them more often than you think. I usually notice them after something very emotional...like after an exam. After an exam, I will have goosebumps and huge, dilated pupils. I guess that is the sympathetic nervous system at work.

Either way, I hate them when I shave...and, my SO isn't a fan either because it already takes him over an hour to shave. :p

Emily Barton
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Yes! With me it's music - during a really great guitar solo or a really heartfelt/powerful part of a song I often get goosebumps all over, especially if I'm really 'focusing' on the music (as opposed to it being background noise while I work, for example). One that gets me every time is Fragile Dreams by Anathema - the ending minute or so is truly amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUR5YcZJCMY

I think it's partly for this reason that I really like bands like Nightwish where orchestral instruments are mixed in with the guitar parts - this gets me every time!

Most people I've spoken to about this can't relate at all - it's good to know there are others out there!

JeanneF
05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
I get them too. My wife gives me a hard time about it occasionally because she can tell when something is getting me excited.

It's sometimes a little embarrassing when we're taking about clothing or something and she can see that it's turning me on.