PDA

View Full Version : From forum member to public speaker

Jessica Who
05-31-2012, 05:22 AM
Hello my friends,

I meant to post about this a couple of weeks ago just before my big event, sorry for the delay. Two weeks ago I was the keynote speaker at Northwestern University's "Over the Rainbow" conference, an LGBT outreach event that addresses issues that youth face (bullying, etc.).

I came here in the fall of 2008 just trying to figure myself out and now I am speaking about people like us at conferences. It feels wonderful. The attendees were so fascinated to learn about a story such as mine, which I am sure parallels many of your life stories.

I look forward to speaking at more events such as this, continuing to spread the message about our community. As always I must thank the community here for its unwavering support, joining these forums was a tremendously awesome decision.

To all new members still trying to find their way - keep with it and continue to discover yourself, always treat yourself with respect. Thank you all for letting me share my experience :)..

Love always,

Jessica

erickka
05-31-2012, 05:41 AM
I came here just over 5 years ago myself, and have reaped many of the same benefits as you have. This forum has been a great experience for me as well. To all of our forum friends.... GROUP HUG!!! And many thanks.

Erickka

Jennifer W
05-31-2012, 06:47 AM
That's wonderful Jessica! Keep up the good work! By being here I'm learning so much about myself. Thanks to all for your support!!!

Jennifer W.

BRANDYJ
05-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Jessica, I nominate you as the official honorary spokes person for this website. Your openness, your humor, your intellect speaks well of our community.

Kaz
05-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Jessica, I saw a video you posted of this and it was awsome! I have loved all your posts and videos and just want to say how much I admire everything you are doing out there! We are so blessed to have someone like you with us.

JessHaust
05-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Congratulations Jessica, keep up the good work.

kimdl93
05-31-2012, 08:54 AM
...To all new members still trying to find their way - keep with it and continue to discover yourself, always treat yourself with respect. Thank you all for letting me share my experience :)..

Love always,

Jessica

Jessica, you're a great emmisary for the TG community. We're fortunate to have you speaking on our behalf. And I loved that advice to new members. Indeed, we should always, strive for self respect and continuous self discovery.

Kate Simmons
05-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Jess, I've been trained in public speaking as well. I can speak about anything as long as I, myself, believe in it. The thing is anyone can do what we do and express themselves but most don't have the wherewithall or understanding of their feelings to do it.:)

docrobbysherry
05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Congrats and thank u, Jessica! U shine a beacon of lite and happiness on the entire LGBT community!

Emily Barton
05-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Jessica,

I just watched your video and it looks like you did an outstanding job! As someone who's always been a weak public speaker, I have tremendous respect for those who are able to go up in front of an audience with seemingly no nerves at all.
It makes me very hopeful for the future knowing there are people like you out there trying to spread tolerance and understanding to others. You're an inspiration!

RADER
05-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Jessica;
Great Job on your lecturing. You have been in front of a group before.
I myself have to speak in front of large groups for my Legion Meetings.
You did all so us proud, keep up the great Work.
BTW You where dress very nice for a lecture, Neat and not overpowering.
That way the audience focuses on your subject and not what you are wearing.
Rader

sterling12
05-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Thank you from ALL of us who try to contribute to The Discussion. Sometimes it feels like we aren't getting through, but we have had a couple of very nice threads this week from people who have been helped. It's nice to see people grow and cast off their guilt. Self-Acceptance is so very important, and I think you are a outstanding example of a person who continues to expand your femme-self.

For anyone in The Trans World who would ask, I would opine that TG Forum is important, and helps people about 99.99999999% of the time. For the .0000000001% not helped, we suggest Thorazine!

Public Speaking can be scary, and it can only be more difficult if we are revealing ALL of our personality. You have taken another Big Step down The Highway. Glad we could help you along The Way.

Peace and Love, Joanie

StaceyJane
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Jessica, that is such wonderful news. I'm so glad that you can represent us.

Marleena
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Jessica I can't think of a better person to represent us!:) Congrats and the spread the good word! Keep 'em smiling.

darla_g
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
there are so many less than favorable role models out there and of course the media depiction of CDs is always ridicule so I am thrilled that you are able to speak for us. I admire you very much, keep up the good work.

Lori B
06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Jessica rocks!...............:):hugs: