PDA

View Full Version : Questions about changes in voice

Xrys
05-31-2012, 09:35 AM
I am thinking i need to transition. I plan on seeing a therapist when i get a job, but a have some questions about the voice change. I have read that the HRT does change the voice some but working with a speach therapist to fully develop a truly feminine voice is necessary. My question is this. Is it also possible to learn to sing like a natural female?

Music is a verry important part of my life. I love opera and musical theater, and cant imagine my life without singing.

Jessica_Grl
05-31-2012, 09:51 AM
lots of people can make their voice sound like famous people, there are even VOICE ACTORS that do books or audio stuff for cartoons and such, and I personally have heard some Transgendered that could sing with the best of the best and with eyes closed nobody would be any wiser --- for me myself, i aint sure how far i will take my voice

the voice i mentioned above takes LOTS and LOTS and SUPER LOTS of practice and practice ---- NEVER GIVING UP :)

be strong

CharleneT
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
HRT does not affect a MTF's voice. It will lower a FTM's voice.

Aprilrain
05-31-2012, 10:19 AM
I have read that the HRT does change the voice some

working with a speach therapist to fully develop a truly feminine voice is necessary.

Is it also possible to learn to sing like a natural female?

Music is a verry important part of my life. I love opera and musical theater, and cant imagine my life without singing.

HRT does NOTHING to change ones voice unless you're talking about F2M HRT. You read som overly optimistic misinformation.

I have not noticed a change in the voices of those TSes i know who have worked with a speech therapist. I wont speculate as to why this might be.

I simply started "talking like a girl" and when i went full time (before actually) I never went back to that male voice. IMO this is the best way to DEVELOP a female voice. I know it worked for me because I always get ma'amed on the phone.

Not that anyone would want to hear it but I sing to myself in the car all the time, I think i do a pretty good job of singing in my female voice.

Transition requires one to give up certain things, like a certain percentage of ones strength for instance, singing may be one of those things for you. Once you reach that point where nothing else matters you will likely just transition.

Xrys
05-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the clairification. I just found a video of Nick Pitera. He sounds awesome singing.

It find it interesting that voice acting was mantioned because that has been a dream job of mine for a long time. Gues I will do my best and see what happens.

Raynefall
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Actually there are reports of minor changes in voice from HRT from MtF. So while it may not completely change there may be a very minor change. The reports are few and far between though.

Aprilrain
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Actually there are reports of minor changes in voice from HRT from MtF. So while it may not completely change there may be a very minor change. The reports are few and far between though.

There are reports of big foot sightings as well that doesn't make it true. I think that is just wishful thinking on the reporters part!

Jessica_Grl
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM

i have noticed a difference between my "00" video and say 6months in -- but i think that is more softer tone, i think more or less the HRT just calms me down enough so i speak softer, not so much difference in pitch --- but each individual is different -- and there are exceptions to every rule, even the ones we make :)

just keep a voice recorder handy, practice, practice, practice --- you can sound like anybody even elvis presly or john wayne , but i prefer marilyn monroe or cher , but i will just settle for what ever voice i grant myself with :)

sierra_g
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
I just (less than an hour ago) was listening to a review by Ina Fried. If you don't know of Ina, formerly Ian, she was the little boy in Rocky 3. She learned to write journalism, got into tech, and is now one of the most famous and richest Tech Bloggers in the world.
She transitioned a while ago, and is now a happy rich woman.
Her voice is that of a man trying to fake a woman's voice though. I don't know if she has tried vocal lessons, or VFS, but her voice is a pretty quick giveaway. I doubt she cares though. If 7 of 10 things point to female, you will be read female.

From hearing her, I would guess that HRT does not change your voice. I have seen and heard, on YouTube, people's before and after from Voice Feminizing Surgery and I must say the difference is astounding!

MC-lite
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
@Xrys: As far as your question goes, the pitch and spectral characteristics of your voice are formed by your throat, mouth, nasal cavity and larynx. That pretty much does not change with HRT. You can opt for vocal feminization surgery, but it's risky and expensive.

This article is worth a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_therapy_(transgender)

Good luck, and remember: Transitioning is about finding inner peace and learning to love yourself.

:Miki

Bree-asaurus
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
@Xrys: As far as your question goes, the pitch and spectral characteristics of your voice are formed by your throat, mouth, nasal cavity and larynx. That pretty much does not change with HRT. You can opt for vocal feminization surgery, but it's risky and expensive.

This article is worth a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_therapy_(transgender)

Good luck, and remember: Transitioning is about finding inner peace and learning to love yourself.

:Miki

Vocal feminization surgery is bull. All it does is raise the pitch of your voice... it doesn't make it sound more feminine. You also run the risk of destroying your voice or losing it completely.

I would have chimed in earlier, but it's already been said several times. Find online videos that teach you how to change your voice. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE! I learned from the videos and can sound like a genetic female. I have learned how to do this. But my practicing has been soooo half-*ssed that it's taking me a LONG time to actually be able to sound that good all the time. After a few minutes of sounding good, I've worn out my muscles and my voice starts to get raspy. I am finally putting in 75% of my *ss into it and things are getting a little better, but I'm still not there yet.

JohnH
05-31-2012, 01:33 PM
I am living proof that M2F HRT does not raise the pitch of one's voice. As a basso profundo I have virtually no falsetto range so it's impossible for me to sing like a female. If I wanted to I could learn to talk to sound like a genetic woman as far as pitch is concerned, but all I'm doing is retain my male speaking voice range while adopting a more feminine speech pattern.

John

Stephanie-L
05-31-2012, 04:19 PM
As others have noted, MTF HRT does very little or nothing to change your voice, and pitch, which is the part that hormones change, is probably the least important factor, as well as the easiest to change. There are several other things that you need to learn to have a good female speaking voice, and it take lots and lots and lots of practice. I was able to hit my pitch range easily by the third session with my speech therapists, the rest I am still working on months later. So, either get some DVDs or an online site, or go to a competant speech therapist who can work with MTF folks. As far as singing, I would bet you can sing female, possibly as well as you do male. I find myself singing my exercises in female mode rather than speaking them. One of my therapists is also a voice coach and uses a lot of singers exercises with me. Good luck to you...........Stephanie