PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable time frame for getting on hormones?

Danika140
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
After having come to terms with being TS and having a need to fully transition, what is a reasonable time frame to be put on hormones for HRT from the initial therapy session?

v/r
Danika

Jessica_Grl
06-01-2012, 12:37 PM
what is a reasonable time frame to be put on hormones for HRT from the initial therapy session?

v/r
Danika

mistake # 1 = putting any kind of time frame on your transition -- your transition should be about being honest and happy and you dont need to rush being happy

i would suggest getting a primary blood panel test if you can, even some LGBT centers around the USA offer low income blood tests for those that need, having a primary blood test isnt needed but nice to know your baseline and what happens 3months 6months and even 2years from now

now days WPATH does not require a therapist letter for hormones, only lots of knowledge about the drugs you are taking --- its all depends on the doctor now so find one that uses the updated WPATH standards wich was last fall -- also check with local LGBT center -- even if 2-3hour drive to big city, it might be worth it if they offer support and help, lot of centers are doing this now to avoid the black market and internet drugs, and dirty needles too

just dont forget to smile :)

Danika140
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
mistake # 1 = putting any kind of time frame on your transition -- your transition should be about being honest and happy and you dont need to rush being happy

i would suggest getting a primary blood panel test if you can, even some LGBT centers around the USA offer low income blood tests for those that need, having a primary blood test isnt needed but nice to know your baseline and what happens 3months 6months and even 2years from now

now days WPATH does not require a therapist letter for hormones, only lots of knowledge about the drugs you are taking --- its all depends on the doctor now so find one that uses the updated WPATH standards wich was last fall -- also check with local LGBT center -- even if 2-3hour drive to big city, it might be worth it if they offer support and help, lot of centers are doing this now to avoid the black market and internet drugs, and dirty needles too

just dont forget to smile :)

Doh! You're absolutely right in that the transition should be about making myself happy which is definitely what I am on the path to do. I no longer hide who I am or make excuses. I just walked outside and talked to the neighbors in a cami, short shorts and flats like it was no big deal. I got the look of curiosity but no one made a big deal out of it. I'm just ready to start transforming my body to match my brain to truly be unrestrained in expressing myself without drawing unwanted and potentially dangerous attention. Self confidence is a great shield for verbal assaults but won't hold up too well to someone who is bent on physical harm.

Fortunately for me being a veteran, I can get everything done at the VA hospital aside from the surgery itself at little to no cost so that is a huge burden I don't have to worry about as much. Even met a TS employee at the VA hospital yesterday :D

Jorja
06-01-2012, 01:11 PM
If you are using a therapist that follows the Standards of Care (SoC) it can take as long as three months. Usually, it will depend on how well you are already adjusted to living your new life. Say you go in wearing feminine cloths and present like it is just another day for you. You might walk out that day with a script for the hormones. If you go in all shy and unsure of yourself wearing all male cloths, it will be at least three months.

Now I agree with not putting any kind of time frame on your transition. Transition is a time for you to explore and learn about yourself. What makes you happy? What makes you sad? Who are you? Remember it is not a race, you will get there when you get there.

Traci Elizabeth
06-01-2012, 02:35 PM
No one can answer this for you. It all depends on you and your therapist and when he/she clinically see that you are a candidate for HRT.

Jessica_Grl
06-01-2012, 02:38 PM
i would read page 34 of http://bit.ly/nwkQV5 -- being the VA they will prolly still use version 6 and hence 3 months min time, but even then there are work arounds, i would keep a copy of that link, maybe print out a copy for yourself, some good reading in there and ya never know when you yourself can educate somebody.

I myself, brought hormones to the doctors office with me, the doctor prescribed his own instead of me taking chance of using black market versions -- there are risks, and every doctor is different how they prescribe, do your own research, then research it over and over and over again :)

PAGE 34 -- WPATH SOC version 7 -- sept. 2011

In selected circumstances, it can be acceptable practice to provide hormones to patients who have
not fulfilled these criteria. Examples include facilitating the provision of monitored therapy using
hormones of known quality as an alternative to illicit or unsupervised hormone use or to patients
who have already established themselves in their affirmed gender and who have a history of prior
hormone use.

myself, I was prescribed 2 months before my first therapist session, but i had made commitments to my doctor and had over month waiting list for my current therapist

Bree-asaurus
06-01-2012, 02:44 PM
No one can answer this for you. It all depends on you and your therapist and when he/she clinically see that you are a candidate for HRT.

Yuppers.

Begin talking to a therapist and find out for yourself!

Kathryn Martin
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Three month, I started counseling on August 3rd and started hormones on November 2nd.

The issue is whether you have Axis1 or 2 issues under DSM 4 definitions and the standards of care.

StaceyJane
06-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I took the long road. I went to the therapist not looking to start hormones but trying to sort out my family and gender issues. I took me a year before I really accepted that I was ready to start hormones. My therapist supported me and helped me through the process and she was very happy for me when i made the decision to start hormones.

Jessica_Grl
06-01-2012, 03:27 PM
I took the long road. I went to the therapist not looking to start hormones but trying to sort out my family and gender issues. I took me a year before I really accepted that I was ready to start hormones. My therapist supported me and helped me through the process and she was very happy for me when i made the decision to start hormones.

i like that -- thats what i was talking about -- it aint no race -- :)

emmicd
06-01-2012, 11:55 PM
it is a personal decision. when it feels right. if you are under a doctor's care and seeing a therapist 3 months is the general rule. it all depends on you. good luck!

emmi

Julia_in_Pa
06-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Danika,

Once you have fully examined your life and beyond a shadow of a doubt you have realized you are TS then the time is right.
With what you have said here I believe your ready.

Julia

Diane Elizabeth
06-02-2012, 07:12 AM
I was ready (imo) the first time I saw a therapist, but she took her time and it ended up about 8 months before I got my letter.

Stephanie-L
06-02-2012, 08:02 AM
As everyone has said, it isn't a race, and it varies. Your having VA care will probably slow things down a bit as they are very "By the book", but there are other factors also. If you have not recently had a physical with blood work done, like the last year at the outside, go do it. This way you can spot any potential physical problems that might have an effect on both you taking hormones and your transition in general. Mention to the person doing the physical that you are planning to transition and they can look at those areas that need a bit of extra attention. This also shows your therapist that you are not only commited to hormones but that you can understand the risks and benefits and take appropriate care of yourself. It also varies by the therapist you go to. Some may be very open to writting that letter, others may not, especially if you go to a faith based therapist. I have been to two therapists, the first one was ready to write the letter after the third visit, but I wasn't ready then, the second took a few months to get to know me, and I was already doing self medication, but she had no problem. Also, finding a physician to prescribe them can be difficult. Many endocrinologists don't want to do transgender HRT as it is something they have little or no experience with, and they may have a closed mind about it also. You having VA care may or may not help that also as you don't get to choose who you see, but they are often younger and more open to such things. So, the answer is, anything from the first visit (though I would be a little suspect on this) to a couple of years (again, I would be a lot suspect, and find someone else before that). I know this doesn't give you an answer, but that is the way of it. The big thing is that you have taken the first step on the journey, that is the most important part of going anywhere, just getting started. Good luck to you and keep us informed.........Stephanie

Danika140
06-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice! That's why I love these forums and the people on them. I suppose my biggest problem is that when I decide on the end goal, I want to get to it as fast as possible. In general, that isn't a bad thing. However, as many of you have said, it's not a race and more about the journey which I can agree with. I just need to relax, take a step back and learn a little patience so I can enjoy developing and learning more and more of myself.

I will be going to Afghanistan for six months which I will be communicating with Dr. Carl Bushong via phone while I am gone. I've talked with him a few times while stationed in Germany and think he is great! The VA is definitely by the book but I feel that it is my best option being a veteran. Basically, I earned those benefits and I plan on using them lol.

Thanks again! I'll keep everyone informed as I progress through the process.

Badtranny
06-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I suppose my biggest problem is that when I decide on the end goal, I want to get to it as fast as possible.

I think a lot of us share that problem. You will soon find that rushing things along isn't possible anyway. You are at the stage right now where you can indeed make a lot of things happen rather quickly, but those things are largely lifestyle related and after the appointments are scheduled, and the coming out is done, and the new wardrobe is procured, you will have nothing to do but wait. There are a few stages of waiting along the path. Kathryn is in one of those stages, I'm in one of those stages as well as a few other girls right now. That's a healing stage after a surgery. Where there isn't a damn thing you can do to speed things along. Just wait and take care of yourself. Many of us are currently waiting to finish hair removal. I go every single week, but it takes as long as it takes. Some are waiting to lose weight, some are waiting for their hair to grow longer. There is a LOT of waiting.

The bottom line is unless you're a 20 year old, this is a long process that you couldn't rush along anyway. So don't sweat it. Do what feels right and don't worry about arbitrary timelines. Most of the tranistioners here have done it their own way and we've all put different values on different priorities. Follow your heart.

Danika140
06-02-2012, 11:39 AM
That actually puts everything into perspective. In hindsight, trying to rush what cannot be rushed will only frustrate me in the long run. Besides GGs didn't become women overnight so it's unrealistic to think we could. Right now I just need to focus on the little things I can control and move forward a little at a time. I should have realized this a lot sooner as the path in life is a lot like an ultra marathon. We often say "run when you can, walk when you can't run and crawl when you have to but never stop moving forward." Another quote widely used in ultra marathons that could be tailored to people undertaking a journey similar to ours is "your conditioning and strength got you to the starting line, but your heart and fortitude will get you to the finish line."

It's not easy to reprogram years and years of thought processes and habits, fortunately I am a little less bound by the constraints of time and era being that I am only 25 years of age. I will stumble but who doesn't when learning something new? For that I am truly grateful and appreciative for all the kind words and advice you've all given me! Life is all about experiences and taking chances after all.

v/r
Danika