PDA

View Full Version : First real wig

Megan72
06-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Okay, well today I scheduled an appointment to get a real hairstyle, not a cheap costume or "whatever I can get ahold of wig." I plan on spending some money for a wig and to have it styled for me! I am so freaking out since this is a salon that while being very TG friendly is a regular place and on a Saturday afternoon, sure to be busy. My stomach is in knots with anxiety and excitment! Anyone have any advice?
Kelli

Cheryl T
06-02-2012, 08:11 AM
All salons have private rooms for customers. Many are cancer patients who have lost their hair, others are just shy as you are. Just ask that you be taken to one of these rooms and no one will know the real reason you are there but you and the stylist.

Daphne Renee
06-02-2012, 08:23 AM
sounds great. I wish I had the money to buy a really good wig. I am sure you wont have any problems though. they want your money so its likely they will try to make you as comfortable as they can.

Megan72
06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks Cheryl and Daphne I know they pride on discresion so a private room is a great idea, but dang the feelings are still a rush...its kinda fun, hehe. K

Julogden
06-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Good for you, Kelliann! Don't worry, just tell yourself that you're going to have fun regardless of how private the fitting is. You have as much right to go in and buy a wig for yourself as anyone. And if the store is t-friendly, they'll probably have private booths anyway. The first time I went to a wig store, they didn't have private booths, but no one made an issue anyway, and I was in man-mode when I went in, so it was totally clear to the other customers as to what was going on. I bought two wigs and everything turned out just fine. :)

Carol

Krista Doll
06-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Kelliann don't know when you are going but don't forget to bring a camera and we hope to see some pics. of the day and the new wig

Beverley Sims
06-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Once you sit down and try the first one on the rest are just there to confuse you.
I have quite often bought one of the first two or three tried on at a fitting.

Erin Campbell
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Smile and enjoy yourself! You will most likely be asked if you want a private area, I was for my fitting. However, after sitting in the waiting room with several other people, I decided I didn't need it. Everyone was so friendly and I had such a great time I completely forgot about what other people might think.

Sam-antha
06-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Enjoy yourself in that salon and do remember that the assistant knows more about wigs and styles than you do. Take a pic or three of yourself in your favourite outfits to gibe her an idea of your personal style.
If you are in luck, there will be a cosmetics section in that shop, ask them, it may not be particularly apparent that it exists.
Happy hunting and do not forget to get the hairpiece styled for your lifestyle.
~Samm

Megan72
06-02-2012, 03:59 PM
OMG that was super fun. Thanks everyone for the advice, the pictures were a great hellp. Alas it was about the fifth one picked although number 3 was my fave! But at $500 it was a little too much, I went with the $300 instead, but so worth it! I will try some pics at some time but all I have is my phone right now.

I am still kinda flying, that was a BLAST! Thank you to Hanas in Littleton! If you are in denver go see her and her staff they are great! K

darla_g
06-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I only got one wig from a wig shop and i was less than thrilled with the experience. I get all my wigs from eBay now. A lot cheaper and none of the concerns. I can literally buy 3 of the wigs for the price of one at the wig shop.

StarrOfDelite
06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
I only got one wig from a wig shop and i was less than thrilled with the experience. I get all my wigs from eBay now. A lot cheaper and none of the concerns. I can literally buy 3 of the wigs for the price of one at the wig shop.

Darla, I think the OP had to be purchasing a human hair wig if she wanted it styled by a professional hairdresser. Considering the expense involved, I don't blame her for wanting to be able to feel it as well as see it in different kinds of light, and that sort of mandates a visit to the local wig shop. I agree with your point, however, even if the synthetic wigs don't look or feel like human hair wigs it's kind of fun to be able to pick and choose the look which you want to affect at any given time, and I think it's possible to buy at least three good quality synthetics for the cost of one good human hair wig.

darla_g
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Darla, I think the OP had to be purchasing a human hair wig if she wanted it styled by a professional hairdresser. Considering the expense involved, I don't blame her for wanting to be able to feel it as well as see it in different kinds of light, and that sort of mandates a visit to the local wig shop. I agree with your point, however, even if the synthetic wigs don't look or feel like human hair wigs it's kind of fun to be able to pick and choose the look which you want to affect at any given time, and I think it's possible to buy at least three good quality synthetics for the cost of one good human hair wig.

I should have mentioned that the one i got from the wig shop was human hair. It just doesn't hold up and is such a pain and I took all the proper care steps. I consider tamarav here on this site to be the expert on wigs and she told me that now a days human hair wigs are just not worth it from a cost, durability or maintaining a style and I am inclined to think she is totally right based on my experience.

I am not trying to dissuade the original poster. She needs to make up her own mind, I'm just trying to throw one more data point in there.

Megan72
06-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Okay, to clarify, my new wig is synthetic, just a damn expensive one. I wanted to go to a salon so that it would be styled for me not just off the shelf. I am also very inpatient and did not want to wait for it to come in the mail. Maybe the lackluster experiance you had was more the stylist than the wig.

countrygirl
06-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Sounds like fun to me. I to am looking for a new wig and with me moving next 2 weeks I hope I can get one. Does the wigs come in different sizes or is it one size fits all?

Megan72
06-02-2012, 08:40 PM
It's an adjustable lace front from Raquel Welch. K

Cheryl T
06-03-2012, 05:45 AM
OMG that was super fun. Thanks everyone for the advice, the pictures were a great hellp. Alas it was about the fifth one picked although number 3 was my fave! But at $500 it was a little too much, I went with the $300 instead, but so worth it! I will try some pics at some time but all I have is my phone right now.

I am still kinda flying, that was a BLAST! Thank you to Hanas in Littleton! If you are in denver go see her and her staff they are great! K

Now you see it wasn't so scary after all, was it?
Most of that fear we generate without cause.
I remember my first time at a salon and how exhilarating it was having her placing the wig on my head and styling it this way and that. Knowing I would be wearing something that was "right" for me made the expense worth while.

Bree Wagner
06-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Keliann,

Thanks for sharing the recommendation. I've heard good things about Hana and just might have to check out out next time I'm looking for something new (and have a good chunk of extra cash!).

-Bree