PDA

View Full Version : Why are women's clothes so much better?

Megan_Renee
06-06-2012, 04:08 PM
One day my SO asked me about why I liked women's clothing so much. This is not just from being Megan, but also from the clothes that I prefer to make.

I told her that male clothing is just not as interesting. Look at it this way: Men have two main clothing options. A Shirt and Pants. Sure, there are variations on those two, but a mans shirt is pretty much consistant with itself. You've got your dress shirts and your t-shirts. There are polos and golf shirts too, but I don't really count those, because they're really just a hybrid of the first two.

Then, you've got your pants. For the most part pants are clunky and full-length. We don't have a great selection of capris or 3/4 length pants that are acceptable to wear to work. Sure, you could wear shorts too, but those are mostly baggy renditions of pants anymore.

Women's clothing, on the other hand, has infinite variety! Blouses can combine with camisoles to create different looks. Dresses are an almost complete ensemble! Skirts, skorts, capries, tank-tops, and so forth. You can buy a women's shirt that has long sleeves, no sleeves, short sleeves, 3/4 sleeves or just straps. And SOCKS! OMG! You've got so many different varieties of socks, I don't know where to start!

This is my perception of why Women's clothing is so much better. What do you all think?

RADER
06-06-2012, 04:17 PM
You forgot to mention that womens clothes are much softer for the most part.
The feel of a peti coat under a large skirt on your legs is divine.
The sexiness of a strapless gown, and a long train on a formal is unbelievably.
Rader

Billiebluenose1878 GG
06-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Well ... unfortunatly us girls are greedy and are like the male peacock .... want to look HOT and attract the one you have the hots for or not just coz you wanna look great .. and clothing stores are filling our need for beautiful clothes ..... and one outfit or piece of jewelry or bags shoes etc are never enough .... as a GG i love clothes too so the man end up with the not so sexy outfits ....

Just my opinion

Billie xxxx

Ari333
06-06-2012, 04:26 PM
you got a lot of it, plus as someone else mentioned, femme apparel such as undies are silky, satiny, lacy and soft! and the colors! like most gurls I adore shiny, glittery, sequined things. men wearing such things get unfriendly looks unless they are rock stars!

Billiebluenose1878 GG
06-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Or the emo kids .... xxx

Bree-asaurus
06-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Personal preference and the current trends of our society? lol...

If men wanted choice, they would have choice.

Megan_Renee
06-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Well... I want choice. I want skirts.

Ok, here it is! REVOLUTION time... We need to start a fashion movement that encourages men to wear more skirts.... Or would it be more men to wear skirts?

MORE SKIRTS (either way)

Jenniferathome
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
While I do agree with the variety statements, I think this is really just a justification of crossdressing. I would be a crossdresser if the variety were fewer. It's just a nice benefit

Bree-asaurus
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Ok, here it is! REVOLUTION time... We need to start a fashion movement that encourages men to wear more skirts.... Or would it be more men to wear skirts?

MORE SKIRTS (either way)

Well... that's why cross dressers are cross dressers lol... You'll never convince enough average Joe's to start a revolution over not having skirts :P

darla_g
06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Well ... unfortunatly us girls are greedy and are like the male peacock .... want to look HOT and attract the one you have the hots for or not just coz you wanna look great .. and clothing stores are filling our need for beautiful clothes ..... and one outfit or piece of jewelry or bags shoes etc are never enough .... as a GG i love clothes too so the man end up with the not so sexy outfits ....

Just my opinion

Billie xxxxi loved this comment, true

Megan_Renee
06-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Well... that's why cross dressers are cross dressers lol... You'll never convince enough average Joe's to start a revolution over not having skirts :P

Ok. You're right... We need to put something in the water... ::giggle::

TiffanyGreene
06-06-2012, 05:43 PM

Agree! Most men just want to grab the jeans and tee shirt off the floor and give a quick "sniff test" to make sure they aren't ready for the washer just yet. IMO, men aren't generally designed to want clothing choice. That makes things too complicated! Open up the closet of an average married couple. Woman - 8 casual dresses, 2 formal dresses, skirts galore, tops tops tops, and 17 pairs of shoes...(dress shoes that is, she also has 4 pair of tennis shoes, 8 pair of sandals, some dressy sandals, and some casual flats). Her clothes take up 80% of the walk in closet. The other 20 % is for the man. He has 3 button up shirts, 4 tee shirts, 2 pair of jeans (one for every day wear and one for special occasions), a pair of tennis shoes , an old pair of work boots, and a new pair of work boots (which double as dress shoes for the 'special occasion' jeans). The rest of his 20% of space has guns, fishing gear, and a supply of old magazines that he never intends to look at again (they might be worth something one day...)

I agree with Bree, most men do not want choice.

kimdl93
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Womens clothes just are better. This is one of those unanswerable 'why ' questions. Learn to accept and Enjoy!

AllieSF
06-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Yep, men do not want the choice. Those that do then need to deal with being the exceptions to the norm.

Now, you also have those that want to simplify what they consider complicated, or are already simplifying and do not want to complicate their own clothing choices. Why have women gone from house dresses and low heels during the 50's to wearing more slacks and jeans and shorts when doing everyday things, including shopping? To me it is simplification of their dressing style into something comfortable, easy to wear and easier to select out of the closet and clothes dressers. They do sometimes want to adapt male clothing style (as boring and drab as they may seem) because they can easily grab something to get dressed and get out of the house quickly without all the routine of outfit selection, makeup and whatever. I congratulate them for being so practical!

suchacutie
06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
This is actually quite a complicated topic. As an overview, I don't crossdress because of the clothes. I wear the clothes because I crossdress!

But consider: Men's clothes aren't all that varied. What do we have? Shirt color. Pants color. Those are the biggies. Differences in tailoring are small, as are fabric choice. The big possibilities are tie designs (and/or the little pocket brightness :) )

Women have all this too, with a bigger color range, and a bigger design range. Then they get to add skirts and dresses of every manner possible! Not to mention lingerie and stockings and the shoe variability is immense!

But all that takes TIME!!! How many guys want to worry about what they are putting on! Heck, it's lucky their socks are the same color, and that's if they own different colors of socks! Trade off ease for variability!

So, if the general male population wanted changes and variation, it would happen overnight. I wouldn't hold my breath :)

ReineD
06-06-2012, 06:00 PM
This is my perception of why Women's clothing is so much better. What do you all think?

I'm with Jenniferathome

I'm not wanting to be antagonistic (really :hugs:), but the argument that women's clothes are so much better because they are softer, silkier, more colorful, more comfortable, etc, is in my opinion a rationalization. Men's clothes are also soft (cashmere sweaters), silky (silk bathrobe or silk shirt), colorful (shirts come in all sorts of colors now), and comfortable (there are microfiber slacks, unstructured jackets, flannel items, BVDs made out of stretchy, comfy material), they even have male thongs that hold everything in place! :)

The truth is, women's clothing are better because they are feminine and CDers get a kick out of presenting themselves in a feminine manner. It makes you feel pretty, which in turn makes you feel sexy.

BRANDYJ
06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I think ReineD said it all. Of course we don't have any men's bras, slips, night gowns, peignoirs, hose and heels. So we are just stuck wearing women's. lol

ReineD
06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Of course we don't have any men's bras, slips, night gowns, peignoirs, hose and heels. So we are just stuck wearing women's. lol

Right. And unless it is a super well constructed bra that fits to a tee, no one can tell me that bras are more comfortable than wearing none at all. Or girdles, control top pantyhose, and any number of constraining items. Exciting for CDers? Absolutely. But comfortable? +? :p

Sara Jessica
06-06-2012, 06:34 PM
The average dude is perfectly fine with his lack of choices.

Wildaboutheels
06-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Evolution 101. Men [in general] are much more visually oriented than women. Women in essence are dressing to compete for men. Many more styles, colors etc., offer women a much better CHANCE to wear apparel that will enhance their own particular PHYSICAL features, be it legs, butts, boobs, face, hair whatever.

Obviously, some women are very good at this and some aren't. Or possibly have no desire for a Relationship of ANY kind with a man or a woman so never "dress to impress" regardless of the occasion.

zenerabird
06-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Sad but true. Most men are stuck with the social rules of "Men can only wear this, while women can wear whatever" It stinks but we're currently stuck with it. And fashion designers, even though they are trying to promote the idea, don't help with their very feminine designs. Most men, if they were even interested, would rather have a masculine looking skirt. The prices don't help either.

Megan_Renee
06-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Ok, so what I hear you saying is that I need to go back to the 1700's... ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg

ReineD
06-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok, so what I hear you saying is that I need to go back to the 1700's... ;-)

LOL. Don't forget Megan, if you had been born at a time when men wore this:

You would instead have wanted to wear this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Marie-Antoinette_par_Elisabeth_Vig%C3%A9e-Lebrun_-_1783.jpg

Women in essence are dressing to compete for men.

I have three sons. Trust me, when they're out wanting to attract females, they pay a great deal of attention to all facets of their appearance. But they'd never let anyone else know it. :D

Obviously, some women are very good at this and some aren't. Or possibly have no desire for a Relationship of ANY kind with a man or a woman so never "dress to impress" regardless of the occasion.

And believe it or not, there are also people on this planet who are far more aroused by someone's mind or their accomplishments than the frou-frou of modern fashion. :p Still, there are some very attractive females walking around campus in my town who are on a student budget wearing jeans and Tshirts. This doesn't seem to prevent college guys from chasing after them. :)

My point is, you're making some pretty broad statements without considering large pockets of individuals who don't fall into your view of things.

Chardonnay Merlot
06-06-2012, 08:24 PM
It's not about what you wear...It's how your wear it..
And the only thing holding back in mens fashion...is MEN.
I'm always hounding my favorite sporting good store to get men's running shoes in the cool color combinations women get...My favorite colors, my reds, whites, power blues, golds, pinks...are almost always in the women's section..

Especially colors like powder blue and yellow...Which can be a men's color....Just ask the San Diego Chargers :)

sissystephanie
06-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Because they have so much style, they fit better, and they sure as heck look better. All the reasons why I crossdress!!

Badtranny
06-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Over and over this gets stated as if the reason men crossdress is because there's not enough variety in men's clothes. The problem is it's just not true. I was just in the city today and I couldn't help but notice a few different guys that looked great. They were obviously gay except for one of them who was probably also gay (Castro) but he looked quite fetching in his tight in the right places slacks and a silk or satin tank top (wasn't that close to him) under a fitted (but still blousy) almost see through white linen shirt. Very nice. The other guys I saw were dressed almost but not quite feminine. Two of them were also in the Castro and one of them was up the hill at UCSF. One was wearing capris with a pair of Tom's and a really cool looking sweater. Another guy had this great preppy look with khakis and an un-tucked oxford under a slouchy sweater.

Geez, the options are literally endless and they range from casual to dressy to saucy. There is an awesome assortment of shoes available to men as well. Go into any decent men's shoe store and prepare to be amazed. The funny thing is, most of the CD's would never dress with style and flare because they don't want their friends to think they're gay or something.

max
06-06-2012, 09:27 PM
The funny thing is, most of the CD's would never dress with style and flare because they don't want their friends to think they're gay or something.

Or they don't know how?

busker
06-06-2012, 10:40 PM

MORE SKIRTS (either way)

have a look at
www.hisblackdress.com
dresses for boys..................................!
While I agree there is a lot of choice, I have a suspicion that much of the "fashion" world plays on women's insecurity, and of course, there is always the economic part. A blouse a week, etc, men are not by nature clothes shoppers, so the appeal to women to spend money is very big, and of course, mass production makes that possible. When dresses were handmade, one wore them to tatters I'll bet.

MaryAnn40c
06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Megan you are sooo right about women's clothes being better than men's. So much to chooise from,softer styles and nicer colors. My women's clothes seem to fit a lot better too.

ReineD
06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
And there's also the google image results for "manskirts":

http://www.google.com/search?q=manskirts&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Py3QT4a8OIiW2gX4v7XPDA&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=904&bih=522

Janice An
06-07-2012, 03:39 AM
There are probably many reasons why we think women's clothes are better. In a perfect world clothes would be just clothes and I could wear what I want any time and any place without anyone thinking I'm strange !! My favorite will always be a Full skirt with a petticoat.

Megan_Renee
06-07-2012, 03:48 AM
And there's also the google image results for "manskirts":

http://www.google.com/search?q=manskirts&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Py3QT4a8OIiW2gX4v7XPDA&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=904&bih=522

Yes. You have it now... Definitely time to put some mind altering drugs in the water...

;-)

SusanQ
06-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Right. And unless it is a super well constructed bra that fits to a tee, no one can tell me that bras are more comfortable than wearing none at all. Or girdles, control top pantyhose, and any number of constraining items. Exciting for CDers? Absolutely. But comfortable? +? :p

I find girdles, control top pantyhose, and panties many times more comfortable than my male underwear is. I love the feeling of being hugged by my undies :) It also is wonderful to wear things that actually provide support for my aching back.

VioletJourney
06-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Lol ask this question in the FTM forum and see what they have to say about it.

Tina B.
06-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Well I had a funny answer, but as usual ReineD, took the wind out of my sails before I got here, I think womens clothings is better , because it's womens clothing!
I know they are not as well make, fall apart quicker, and require more maintenance, but they are womens clothing! Sizing is hard to figure out, things don't fit right, but they are womens clothes! After all, I'm a crossdresser, it's important that they are womens clothes, or it just won't work. ReineD, you may be the smartest crossdresser I've ever known, to bad your a girl. lol
Tina B.

Badtranny
06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
I think womens clothings is better , because it's womens clothing!

Perfect Tina. For the life of me I don't understand why they all can't just admit this. Of course I did decide to transition because I hate the site of urinals, but that's just me.

BillieJoEllen
06-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Some of what Reine said in her first post is true but then again most men that I know would be too embarrassed to wear some of the men's clothes that she mentioned.

bobbimo
06-07-2012, 09:05 AM
I wish I could find a way to make this reply clap and yell YEA!! you got it.
The first time I went shopping for girl clothes with my wife I was blown away on how wonderful the selections were, and such variety and textures.
AND so many on sale too.
There are always beautiful dresses that are on sale for next to nothing, where the men's dept has overpriced shirts, that no one in their right mind would wear, marked down $5.
AND then there is the lingerie dept. Oh My!
I think its time to head into town. :-)

Pythos
06-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Think is Billiebabe....Peacocks, it is the male of the species that is the more flashy and flamboyant....actually in most of the animal kingdom this is the case. In others the critters are equally cheerful and bright. We humans in many ways have it Bass Ackwards, and have the male being mostly utilitarian in the clothing styles.

As for myself, I have a trim body, and long legs. Why the heck should I hide that under ill fitting, baggy pants, (or even well fitting but still featureless pants?) Why can I not show them off under some nylons, and a skirt. Why is it men are forboden from showing their build. Is it any wonder guys allow themselves to get out of shape, and at times fat. I KNOW that my style is part of the reason that I have not gotten overweight, or too far out of shape (Despite my thin scrawny build I regularly lift my GF off her feet and carry her a bit.....though she has done the same with me :P )

But, this is another thing that many forget. Women's clothing. It takes more "work" to get into. Think about it. I was changing out of my spandex disco pants (I hate the name, but there we are, but these things. http://store.americanapparel.net/rsaah300.html?cid=153-914, mine being black ) to get into my work jeans for a flying lesson (I hope one day to not have to do this and be able to wear what I like ). In the morning to get the DJs on, I had to get out of my jammies, sit down, gather the legs of the DJs up like you would pantyhose, and pull the leg cuff over my foot, and work the material up my leg (yes, just like tights, these things are tight). do the same for the other leg. Then stand up and smoothly and evenly pull the material up my legs. Once up good, I had to get the leg join snug up against me, then pull the top part up, fasten the button and close the zipper. This process took about 3 or 4 minutes. Put the rest of my outfit on, and did my things. Now I change out of them and put the jeans on. I take the DJs off, put on some underwear, and put the jeans on.....the jeans are on in almost 2 seconds. LOL. Compare that to the time it took to get into the DJs. Once again, a very utilitarian characteristic....quick donning, which there is no problem with. But How many men are gonna put in a bit of time, and work just to get dressed? NOt many.

Now, after that think about how long it takes to put on hose, and a skirt, or a dress or what have you. THEN how about the time to do the makeup.

Male clothing for the most part....very easy to get into. Women's clothing, for the most part, takes time and some effort to get into.

danielletorresani
06-07-2012, 10:25 AM
The thing I love about women's clothing is that a lot of it is more geared towards sexiness than men's clothing. I love feeling sexy!!!

outhiking
06-07-2012, 10:55 AM

MORE SKIRTS (either way)

While skirts are much more comfortable than pants, I prefer wearing them because they make me feel femine. A man-skirt wouldn't have the same appeal for me. Maybe part of the attraction is that this is such a taboo for men.

tiffanyjo89
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Can I just quote the original poster?

The beauty of women's clothing is that it is designed to accommodate a wide variety of personal styles and physical shapes, whereas men generally are shoe-horned into a small number of styles and shoes.

Xrys
06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I will share what I love about women's clothing. First, the way they hug your body. Female clothes are contoured to show off those gorgious curves. male clothing, on the other hand, just kinda hangs there. Second, I absolutely love the little decorative bits on women's clothes. All those buttons and snaps and the decorative stiching that is only there because it looks good. My favorite capris have these cute buttons on the bottom. They don't even button to anything, they are there because they look good. Mens pants look all the same. every pair of mens jeans are exactly the same. All men's slacks are (except for color) exactly the same. The difference is that women's clothes are designed to look good, and men's clothes are just made to cover stuff up.

Alice
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
I am wondering if the perceived lack of variety of men's clothes is simply due to lack of interest and a limited perception. Walk into any fine men's store and you will find much variety if you pay attention to the details. Saying all suits are the same is like saying all dresses are the same. Suits can be purchased in a number of materials (wool, flannel, linen, cotton, seersucker, etc.) and an infinite variety of patterns and color combinations. In addition suits come in a number of styles. Italian and English suits have very different looks to them, not to mention features such as lapels, pockets, vents, buttons, and vests.

Any other item of men's clothing, if one were to seek it, can be found with the same variety. Shirts, ties, pants, blazers, sport coats, shorts, handkerchiefs, cufflinks, and don't forget the infinite variety and beauty of men's watches.

For example, look in the attached image, taken from a Brooks Brothers catalog. The model in the photograph is wearing several colors and multiple patterns, but an outfit like that is something most men couldn't have even pictured if it were described to them.

The point I'm trying to make is that fun, comfort, and variety is not limited to women's clothing. Men simply need to know where to look and have the confidence to dress a cut above the rest.

Bree-asaurus
06-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Lol ask this question in the FTM forum and see what they have to say about it.

Exactly. The cross dressing forum is full of MTF cross dressers who love women's cloths for one reason or another... so it's a little biased up in here :P

Mens pants look all the same. every pair of mens jeans are exactly the same. All men's slacks are (except for color) exactly the same. The difference is that women's clothes are designed to look good, and men's clothes are just made to cover stuff up.

Maybe if you just shop at Sears lol... There is plenty of good looking clothing for men. I like when my man dresses up and looks good. I wouldn't want to see him in anything else... like capris or a skirt... lol. I enjoy going shopping with him too, picking out shirts and pants I think would look good on him.

Kate Simmons
06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't know if they are really that much better. I do know they are nicer and prettier and when we wear them we the get the chance to show how nice we look in them.:battingeyelashes::)

ReineD
06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
ReineD, you may be the smartest crossdresser I've ever known, to bad your a girl. lol

Oh no! I've been outed! I'm busted! :D
(sorry I took the wind out of your sails ... this was not my intent)

To BilliebabeGG: re my link to the google images of manskirts, I'm well aware this is not something that most CDers will enjoy. Nor should CDers IMO go out looking like men in skirts unless this is comfortable for them. Personally I think it's better to be as under the radar as possible, at least as long as society in general feels a degree of anxiety over men who cross the gender boundaries in their presentation. Still, there are some guys who can get away with the look (it's a whole package sorta thing) and if they can, all the power to them! :)

To SusanQ: re your comment about constraining garments being comfortable, yes, I know that some people enjoy the feeling of being constrained or bound. My earlier comment was directed to the people who don't feel this way, which I dare say, is most.

The point I'm trying to make is that fun, comfort, and variety is not limited to women's clothing. Men simply need to know where to look and have the confidence to dress a cut above the rest.

Great points Alice, and I agree with all of them. And what you describe is true of all items purchased. To someone who is not an audiophile, a speaker is a speaker. To someone who does not collect rugs, an oriental rug is just like any other but with different patterns.

I want to stress here that my point (and several other people's) isn't to convince CDers they should dress more colorfully or discriminately as men and therefore stop CDing. We're just asking you to perhaps look inside yourselves to determine your deeper reasons for CDing. Is it really because women's clothing is more varied/colorful/comfortable, or is it because it is women's clothing, period, and this makes you feel prettier and sexier.

Megan_Renee
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Wow! Such controversy... I had no idea there were so many people who would get wound up on this one! Oh well!

I think everyone needs a hug...

{{hugs all around}}

ReineD
06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Megan, don't confuse a lively discussion for getting all wound up! :)

I think it's really good to talk about this, don't you?

TeresaL
06-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Feminine clothing does feel good, but part of that good feeling is being aligned with the person I am inside. Therefore, getting the outside package to look more like the girl who God made me, makes Him wink and smile. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Alice
06-07-2012, 01:39 PM
We're just asking you to perhaps look inside yourselves to determine your deeper reasons for CDing. Is it really because women's clothing is more varied/colorful/comfortable, or is it because it is women's clothing, period, and this makes you feel prettier and sexier.

This is very interesting, as I think it highlights the fact that people often do the same thing for different reasons. In my case the few article's of women's clothing I am able to keep hidden are not particularly more colorful than my male wardrobe, and are made of lower quality materials for sure. I guess for me it's about being able to express myself in different ways and experience some freedom from the pressure of the traditional male gender role; a combination of truthfulness and escapism. I'd be interested to hear others' reasons for CDing, and to see if enjoying the sensory elements of women's clothing is a primary motivation or one of many contributing factors.

Megan_Renee, thank you for starting this very interesting discussion. This is the reason I enjoy this community, being able to gain insight into the perspectives of others.

Foxglove
06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
We're just asking you to perhaps look inside yourselves to determine your deeper reasons for CDing. Is it really because women's clothing is more varied/colorful/comfortable,

NO! NO! NO!

or is it because it is women's clothing, period, and this makes you feel prettier and sexier.

YES! YES! YES!

And all those "manskirts" you gave the link to, who'd want to dress like that? They still look like men. And who'd want to look like a man when he could look like a woman? Oh, right: there are still a few guys around who prefer to look like guys. I'd forgotten about them.

But this idea that we should try to persuade more guys to wear skirts so that it would be more acceptable for us to wear skirts: I think it's a lost cause. And I don't see any purpose in it. Because if they did get into skirts, it would be "manskirts", so those of us who want to look feminine would still be seen as freaks.

No, in the end, I think the only solution is for society in general simply to accept that TG people are TG people. I think that's scheduled for 3 PM (GMT) on Sunday. I've got some champagne on ice already.

Annabelle

Megan_Renee
06-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Megan, don't confuse a lively discussion for getting all wound up! :)

I think it's really good to talk about this, don't you?

You're right... I was just looking for an excuse to hug... {{hug}} (giggle)

kimmyg
06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Megan
I definitely agree with u.
I also just luv the way that they feel.
Kimmyg

DonnaT
06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Because the clothes just make me feel right.

The first items I wore were a white peasant blouse and a long black skirt. Nothing sexy or eye appealing about them. They just felt 'right', or I just felt 'right', after I had them on.

Vanessa5
06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm with Donna. The clothes just feel right with me. They are in line with who I am inside.

natacsha
06-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Megan! This is one of those kinda threads that keep me thinking for a while after I read it. I would love to quote so many people here but I can't. I think most people are on the same page but as everyone is different, it is interesting to see the contrast. There certainly is no rong or wright answer. Overall, I tend to agree mainly with the notion that girls demand more attention and are more driven to get it.

Yep, men do not want the choice. Those that do then need to deal with being the exceptions to the norm. !

This makes perfect sense to me. When I shop for clothes, I look at a lot of things that I would love to wear as a guy but i don't want the attention that comes with it (exception to the norm). It's easy being a guy...but it does get in the way of my feminine tendencies. And since I'm not gay, I do like guys but I looove girls and that isn't goin anywhere. so I am forced to stay away from certain male clothes I like because it'll scare away all my fishies lol xoxox

I'm with Jenniferathome. The truth is, women's clothing are better because they are feminine and CDers get a kick out of presenting themselves in a feminine manner. It makes you feel pretty, which in turn makes you feel sexy.

Hi Reine! I love reading your posts. Your insight is priceless and it's really cool how understanding you are. the quoted text is what I used to think before I realized that it wasn't so much the clothing as it was the feeling of being feminine that made me feel sexy. The clothes make me feel pretty but I don't need them to feel sexy. they help but not completely necessary. I'm not sure why it's like that for me but that's how it's always been. When i first started dressing, I realized nearly instantly that girl clothes express my body and body language better than mens clothes. XoXo

As for myself, I have a trim body, and long legs. Why the heck should I hide that under ill fitting, baggy pants, (or even well fitting but still featureless pants?) Why can I not show them off under some nylons, and a skirt.

I feel the exact same way Pythos! I'm a short thin guy at 5"6, and with a cruel world behind it, I didn't always fit in....Buuut...BUUUTTTT.......I turned a negative into a positive because I justify it by knowing that I am able to live another part of my life that is very accepting of my height! :battingeyelashes: That, and as a male, it's also made me a much stronger person cause I had something to prove to the male species..so I was forced to try harder and be the best I could be, always. XOXO :D

Ally 2112
06-07-2012, 09:15 PM
It is simple for me i do not care .I just like womens clothes better .When im dressed as a girl i feel better and i am thankful i can dress the way i can .It is my ying to my yang i shall live with it :)

ReineD
06-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Because the clothes just make me feel right.

The first items I wore were a white peasant blouse and a long black skirt. Nothing sexy or eye appealing about them. They just felt 'right', or I just felt 'right', after I had them on.

Then would you say that the clothes make you feel more feminine (compared to wearing your guy clothes)? I suppose that one can feel feminine without necessarily feeling pretty or sexy. I feel feminine when I just wear my blue jeans and a soft sweater. I feel pretty when I've just washed my hair, put on some makeup, and have on a pretty dress. I feel sexy ... well, I won't tell you what I wear when I feel sexy. :p

Feeling comfortable or feeling right, however, is a bit unclear. A comfortable bed is comfortable and it feels right. lol So are sheepskin slippers and a soft, fleecy blanket. :) Or when I'm in my SO's arms. That feels right, like I belong there.

... to take it further then, when you and others say you 'feel right' does this mean that your appearance as women (even if the outfit is not particularly pretty or sexy), is more in line with who you feel you are internally?

Frédérique
06-07-2012, 11:26 PM

The variety of women’s clothing is definitely attractive, not to mention the colors (forbidden colors for males), the delicate fabrics, and the tactile sensations therein. With that in mind, what do YOU think about women who turn away from this embarrassment of riches? From my humble viewpoint, as a MtF crossdresser, I engage in fetishistic worship of even the most mundane female garment, but I would – my choices (as a male) are so limited, and dressing up is seen as some kind of exercise in flamboyance these days, regardless of what gender you may be. Nearly everybody is drab, so it’s only natural that I seek to break out of this casual constriction in a BIG way. The “wrong” clothes become right under these curious circumstances...

I wonder what a woman thinks about what she is expected to wear in the arena of social and emotional competition. Would she rather not be so colorful, or so revealing, or so vulnerable? Just like I wish to be less masculine, in appearance and feeling, perhaps SHE wants to be much less feminine and not draw attention to herself. Back when I was dating, I had a girlfriend who expected me to dress a certain way, so I did – she certainly did her part in this age-old gender play, wearing all sorts of feminine clothing to offset my male “look.” However, as soon as we were out of each other’s sight, we reverted to drab, and the interesting clothes were put away...

Are women’s’ clothes “better?” Yes, but consider the source! I used to accompany my girlfriend as she shopped for women’s clothes, and she was quite impressed at how patient (and interested) I was! It was just like being in a candy store...
:battingeyelashes:

ReineD
06-07-2012, 11:40 PM
With that in mind, what do YOU think about women who turn away from this embarrassment of riches?

I wonder what a woman thinks about what she is expected to wear in the arena of social and emotional competition. Would she rather not be so colorful, or so revealing, or so vulnerable? Just like I wish to be less masculine, in appearance and feeling, perhaps SHE wants to be much less feminine and not draw attention to herself.

When in Rome.

I wear mostly blue or black jeans unless I'm dressing for a special event. During the summer I wear cooler skirts (blue jean or twill), with sandals or flip flops. I dress like this because I have an aversion to over dressing for the circumstances. I live in a small town where people do not dress up. When I go to a nice restaurant I enjoy wearing a pretty dress. We just don't go to such places all that often, and I would feel awkward dressing up to go to the grocery store.

I was more fashionable when I lived in a larger city and worked in an office, but everyone else was too. When I go to a black tie fundraising gala (the last time I went was seven years ago), I wear a long gown.

It's relative.

Eryn
06-07-2012, 11:54 PM
...And SOCKS! OMG! You've got so many different varieties of socks, I don't know where to start!

I was having exactly that same thought today at Kohl's. I was looking for "no-show" athletic socks to fit my size 11 (women's) feet. The normal socks of that size are marked that they will fit shoe sizes 6-10, and they are being very optimistic about the 10. Every once in a long while I can find Gold Toe "no-show" socks in a larger size for women, but only in white. Now, it sounds ironic, but I want my no-show socks in lively colors, particularly around the ankle where they do show. The regular size no-shows come in a rainbow of colors. The larger no-shows...white.

So, I have a epiphany. What do GGs who wear my size do? They must go over to the men's department! They make no-show socks for men! Unfortunately, they are available in twice as many colors as large no-shows for women. White and black. :(

While I was in the men's sock department I cast my gaze upon an entire wall of socks. The thing that struck me was that you can get any color you desire as long is it is white, black, gray, or brown Green or blue are possible too, but only in the darkest of shades. I thought "I should take a picture for the forum" but I didn't. Instead I went back over to the women's side where Mimi was picking out some lovely pastel leggings in bright blue and salmon. Yes, I was depressed.

Reine, you're absolutely correct, but I think that a lot of CDers are fairly realistic about that. I like my bras because they give me a nice feminine look, but enjoy wearing them? I'm not that crazy. It feels very good when it comes off! Most other women's clothes are also more difficult to wear. No matter how wonderful wearing a full skirt feels, you have to keep track of where it is lest you step on your own hem, close it in car doors, etc. You have to make sure that your cute "off the shoulder" top doesn't get too far off the shoulder. And shoes? Heels are obviously less than comfortable, but even shoes like sandals are less comfortable in their female form. Men's shoes are shaped to fit their feet functionally, women's shoes are works of art that you hope that your foot will fit into.

Despite this, women persist in wearing these things. Why? For the same reason that CDers like to wear them, they're fun and even a bit of a challenge!

Now, there are exceptions to this. My women's Levi's fit better and are more comfortable than men's Levis. I find certain women's panties to be more supportive and comfortable than jockey shorts. However, these are the exceptions.

Wildaboutheels
06-08-2012, 12:55 AM
I am sticking with my original answer. Because they "have to" have more variety and selection, in order to "hopfefully ENHANCE" their appearance to/FOR men. More styles, colors, cuts, textures, etc. offers them a greater chance or opportunity of "looking better". A greater CHANCE of being approached especially if she is among other women. Approached simply because of the "packaging". Of course as we all know [???] what she/anyone chooses to wear on the outside might have ZERO to do with what is on the inside - personality, brains etc. The IMPORTANT stuff.

An illustratiom of this might be 10 women who all work together daily to all agree for whatever reason to meet later that night for dinner. They cannot bring anyone with them. It's just a girl's thing. I don't think it would matter where they meet. BUT if 5 girls are married and 5 have no SO...

I believe [JMO of course] most adults over the age of 20 witnessing all 10 women together would be able to accurately predict which women were "availabe" and which were married simply because of how the women dressed.

Xrys
06-08-2012, 01:05 AM
As I review my previous post, and think more deeply on the true question asked, I have reached an interesting insight. The reason I prefer female clothing is this. Female clothing is designed to accentuate parts of the female body I wish I had been born with. They show off the hourglass figure that I have secretly envied since I was in middleschool. My previous rant was my venting years of frustration at mens clothing because it was the clothes I was forced to wear. There is a wonderfull variety of color and patterns in mens clothing. It has been there all along, but I never noticed it because I just didn't care about it. What was the point of careing about an appearance that was just a shallow disguize to fit in anyway. That is how I really felt. I am only now begining to realize this. There is nothing wrong with men's clothing. There is nothing "better" about womans clothing. I just like one over the other because while one is the symbol of my past, the other is a symbol of my future. For me the future is much more attractive than my past.

sorry for rambleing on again
Xrys

CarolineM
06-08-2012, 01:33 AM

I was chatting to a friend about this the other night, trying to explain exactly why I cross dressed.

I'm not sure I concluded anything, but...

1. Women have all the fun clothes! Corsets, petticoats, things in their hair, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, heels, tights/stockings, makeup, cocktail dresses, ballgowns ... everything as impracticable as possible, but just designed to make you feel great.

2. Just a desire to be pretty, which men's clothes don't really help with. I don't know if I'll ever be described as pretty, but dressing the right way makes me feel like I could be. Just need to work on the face now :)

xxx

Caroline

joanna4
06-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Women's clothing have a wider material selection, where it can be elegant or sexy. Not to mention they are more open to a wider range of colors.

PretzelGirl
06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
In relation to the part of the discussion about women's clothes having more color. I think that is more of a choice and it depends on the person. As someone who started dressing later in life, I find the change in my own guy dressing interesting.

I was strictly a blue and earth tone color person. My hair was cut short and conservative and I wore only a wedding ring and a watch. Now that I have progressed with my dressing and have a general comfort level in guy mode, I have my hair long and may or may not wear it in a pony tail. My ears are pierced and along with my watch, I wear rings, a bracelet, and a necklace. My shirts are now more colorful to include bright colors like yellow and orange that I would never touch before.

So there are ways that you can express yourself as a guy. Probably what holds most back is not wanting to have anyone question them so they dress to fit with the general flow of their social group. I know I used to try my best to go unnoticed, but it isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Beverley Sims
06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't think female clothes are better, they just make me look better.:)

DonnaT
06-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Then would you say that the clothes make you feel more feminine (compared to wearing your guy clothes)?
... to take it further then, when you and others say you 'feel right' does this mean that your appearance as women (even if the outfit is not particularly pretty or sexy), is more in line with who you feel you are internally?
No, I don't feel feminine. Nor do I feel like a woman internally.

I have no urge to look like a woman, even though I do dress fully when out, usually, but not all the time.

The urge is all about the clothes satisfying the unexplainable trans characteristic.

Foxglove
06-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Then would you say that the clothes make you feel more feminine (compared to wearing your guy clothes)?

Yes, I myself would go along with all of this.

ReineD
06-08-2012, 03:38 PM
No, I don't feel feminine. Nor do I feel like a woman internally.

I have no urge to look like a woman, even though I do dress fully when out, usually, but not all the time.

The urge is all about the clothes satisfying the unexplainable trans characteristic.

I am curious. If you have no urge to look like a woman, why do you go through pains to look like one? You look very feminine in your avatar. Your hair is beautifully styled, your makeup is impeccable, and your jewelry is lovely. I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that I don't understand the difference between what you say and what I see.

There have been CDers who have said they feel they need to appear as women in public because they feel the stigma is too severe against men who present as men wearing feminine clothing. I can understand this, and it makes sense such CDers would present as women in public but would only put on the clothes at home with nothing else: no wigs, forms, makeup, etc. But, this forum is not the mainstream. Why do you present an avatar here that does not look like who you feel you are?

DonnaT
06-08-2012, 04:21 PM
My wife once asked why I need to wear a wig and makeup, and I told her that I didn't need to, and would be perfectly happy wearing a skirt out and about. She said, "not with me you won't!"

There's a difference between an inner urge to crossdress and an urge to look like a woman. I don't have the urge to look like a woman.

My wife does not like for me to be out and about without the wig and makeup, and it was she who gave me my first wig. She does not like me wearing them when at home however.

It's been easier over the years to dress fully enfemme, rather than look like a man in a dress, when out and about. But I have been out in a skirt without the wig, and had no problems.

I do look better with the wig and makeup, and my wife doesn't have to worry so much that I will be recognized, especially online, compared to not wearing the wig and makeup.

Plus, I like the way I look, it's just I don't "need" to present this look in the same manner as I "need" to crossdress.

ReineD
06-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Plus, I like the way I look, it's just I don't "need" to present this look in the same manner as I "need" to crossdress.

I see. Well, thanks for the explanation! :)

Sophistic8d_grl
06-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Again, Frédérique, I applaud your insight and candor! I am also one fortunate to have been in more than one relationship with a gal where I was able and comfortable to share this aspect of my life. Before they learned of my interests, they were surprised at my desire to shop and the taste I exhibited when helping select items. It is through my adoration of women and my zeal when observing them (both in person and in media) that I find my pwn personal motivation. I share your feelings in regards to the textures, fabrics and colors; so much so that I long ago have broadened my drab wardrobe. I believe I am much the better person for it~

StarrOfDelite
06-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Clothes have two primary functions: First to protect us from the elements so we neither freeze nor fry from exposure of our hairless skin to sun, rain, wind and weather, and second, to disguise the manifest ways in which our bodies differ from whatever is the currently popular idea of perfection.

There are plenty of items of men's clothing out there that are fabulously stylish. They are also fabulously expensive, and worn by only a small percentage of males in the upper ten percentile of taxable income.

American male fashion is divided along socio-economic lines. Most men work at blue collar jobs or retail clerk type positions, which don't require much more than a pair of jeans and a shirt. A dressy outfit for most men is a pair of khakis, a shirt with actual buttons, and a necktie, but no jacket. For shame, America!

Most American men have no idea about how a piece of good male clothing looks or feels. They'd prefer to sneer at the "Suits" who are the Bad Guys oppressing the common man in his baggy Levis. Instead they should go to the high end rack at Brooks Brothers (or a Polo store) and check out a really good suit, how soft and see how sensual a good English wool fabric is, and how subtle and beautiful the tailoring is. They should check out a B2 shirt and silk tie, or even better a Gieves & Hawke challis wool tie. Beautiful, but costing about $175 unfortunately. American males for the most part think that a pair of overprice Air Jordans is a "fashion statement." And, maybe they should check out how different a pair of good shoes, e.g. Allen Edmonds, is from a pair of Nikes from Vietnam.

Sadly, most males are afraid of ridicule from their peers. I double-dang guarantee you that if one of his chums tells a male that his new shirt/pants/shoes/whatever make him look Gay he'll never wear that item of clothing again.

On the other hand, maybe it's just white homophobic men who act like this, a lot of African-American men dress superbly and don't worry about such nonsense. I think Stephen A. Smith (ESPN NBA analyst) is a horse's patoot, but I admire his suits, shirts and ties!

We are social creatures, not quite herd animals but close, and that makes us extremely susceptible to manipulation by mass media advertising. I'm not much into the idea that women's clothes are desirable just because they're "women's" clothes. There are plenty of looks which are just plain ugly, and those include skirt/dress looks from the vintage era of the 40's/50's and 60's as well as Capri pants and thong sandals from the present day. I can remember what the 17 y.o. girls looked like in their crinoline and flared prom dresses in the 60's, and it wasn't a great scene at all. And, I've seen enough "mutton trying to look like lamb" outfits to make me wince, we've all seen the 55 y.o. 5'9", 235 pound linebacker lookalikes who insist on wearing leather miniskirts and long platinum blonde wigs. That wouldn't be stylish on a genetic woman, let alone on a CD.

busker
06-08-2012, 11:33 PM
We are social creatures, not quite herd animals but close, and that makes us extremely susceptible to manipulation by mass media advertising. I'm not much into the idea that women's clothes are desirable just because they're "women's" clothes. There are plenty of looks which are just plain ugly, and those include skirt/dress looks from the vintage era of the 40's/50's and 60's as well as Capri pants and thong sandals from the present day. I can remember what the 17 y.o. girls looked like in their crinoline and flared prom dresses in the 60's, and it wasn't a great scene at all. And, I've seen enough "mutton trying to look like lamb" outfits to make me wince, we've all seen the 55 y.o. 5'9", 235 pound linebacker lookalikes who insist on wearing leather miniskirts and long platinum blonde wigs. That wouldn't be stylish on a genetic woman, let alone on a CD.

Yes, especially the capri pants that are flared (like bell bottoms) and they look they were sized for a child or else they shrunk in the wash. Even Kim Novak couldn't make them look good.

ReineD
06-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Starr, I totally agree. The standard of dress for both men and women has changed considerably beginning in the 60s, and few people today know how to dress. I dare say they can't afford it. I include myself in this. The main culprit is the declining purchase power of the dollar. Families in the 50s and 60s could survive on one salary. Now they need two.

I'm not much into the idea that women's clothes are desirable just because they're "women's" clothes. There are plenty of looks which are just plain ugly

Very true. My SO and I were looking at a clothing catalog tonight and there is not one thing that neither she nor I would buy. The clothes were colorful, but woefully out of date. There was an overabundance of gauze, flowers, and frill, in contrast with lime green and fushia pants and skirts that are limiting in terms of what they can be paired with. My SO told me that she has learned to keep her bottom pieces (pants & skirts) neutral and vary her tops, rather than to do the opposite. :) Much easier on the budget that way. Some of the clothes in that catalog (and in many other catalogs) were just plain ugly in their styling, cut, and color choice.

And, I've seen enough "mutton trying to look like lamb" outfits to make me wince, we've all seen the 55 y.o. 5'9", 235 pound linebacker lookalikes who insist on wearing leather miniskirts and long platinum blonde wigs. That wouldn't be stylish on a genetic woman, let alone on a CD.

Another great point. I see older CDers here wearing things that belong on younger, much slimmer girls that I wouldn't wear despite my being tall and a size 8 (I'm in my 50s). But, there is nothing wrong with dressing like this in private for their own enjoyment or for posting pics in the Gallery. Or even if they wear these things to CD support groups or TG friendly nightclubs. I'm sure if they ventured out in the mainstream, they'd dress more age appropriately. :)

StarrOfDelite
06-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Another great point. I see older CDers here wearing things that belong on younger, much slimmer girls that I wouldn't wear despite my being tall and a size 8 (I'm in my 50s). But, there is nothing wrong with dressing like this in private for their own enjoyment or for posting pics in the Gallery. Or even if they wear these things to CD support groups or TG friendly nightclubs. I'm sure if they ventured out in the mainstream, they'd dress more age appropriately. :)

Reine. I could have been talking about genetic women with my description of the 55 y.o., 5-9, 235 pound linebacker in a leather miniskirt. I have, unfortunately, seen more than my share of real ladies wearing that type of clothing on the out-and-about, too!

I agree with you that so long as the person thus garbed is doing it for fetish reasons, e.g. a GNO at the local GLBT club, it's perfectly acceptable.

Leila Be
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Materials. Colors. Fit. Transformation. :)

Voulez-Vous
06-09-2012, 11:27 AM
It's been easier over the years to dress fully enfemme, rather than look like a man in a dress, when out and about.

I agree 100%. The man in a dress look is ridiculous.

sometimes_miss
06-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Men don't need fancy garb; we're more defined by what we do, rather than how we look. That's well known; after all, when women find out we're crossdressers, even though we may be wearing men's attire at the time, their romantic interest in us usually goes way down.
Next, one reason that women's attire is so varied, is to give the visual clues that they are a different female than before; genetically, males are wired to want to have sex with as many different women as possible, and by appearing different, a woman gives the male the illusion of having sex with someone else. Sure, in reality when thinking normally he knows the difference, but our inner 'beast' just wants to have sex with a different woman each time, and in it's horny state of mind, doesn't discriminate very well. Hence the huge wardrobe women usually have in comparison to what a guy does.
And it's not that men don't want the choice; it's that we never even condsidered it, because it's not necessary to dress different from other men to be attractive to women. What do women find so attractive in men? A man in military uniform. Even when there's a whole room of guys dressed the same way. In contrast, lots of women feel uncomfortable when even one other woman is dressed exactly the same way she is at a social event.
As far as comfort; there are women's clothing that's comfortable. But lots of women want to make their bodies appear different from what they really look like, in order to appeal to a particular male, just more males in general, or even (the way we do) because she wants to feel better about herself. So, they are willing to put up with the discomfort necessary to do that, often instead of working out to lose weight or 'sculpt' their bodies, or instead of having surgery to alter her appearance. Same as using make up to make her eyes appear larger or further apart, or cause more contrast in skin tone. Heels are a particular sore point to me; I used to let any woman I was dating know that I'd be quite happy to have her wear sneakers instead of torturing her feet wearing heels.

Reine wrote:

Why do you present an avatar here that does not look like who you feel you are?
Because I don't want to feel old, fat, homely, I want to pretend that I'm cute, pretty, beautiful, and having an avatar that doesn't make me feel that way (especially in a 'feel good' forum like this one) is kind of counterproductive. Even women do the best they can, rather than just appear the way nature made them, to make you feel better about yourselves. You see elderly women all the time with dyed hair, nail polish, make up, who are just going to sit in a nursing home with no one who gives a damn what they look like. But it feels good, so they do it.
And

And believe it or not, there are also people on this planet who are far more aroused by someone's mind or their accomplishments than the frou-frou of modern fashion. Still, there are some very attractive females walking around campus in my town who are on a student budget wearing jeans and Tshirts. This doesn't seem to prevent college guys from chasing after them
We can see past the jeans and tee shirts, and know what's underneath. Few men care at all about fashion on their women, we want sexy, and that's defined initially by the shape of her body and we can usually tell what that looks like to some extent no matter what she's wearing. Also, if there's something about her that turns us off, such as for example extreme overweight or underweight, that's noticable too no matter what she's wearing. I wouldn't say we are far more aroused by their mind or accomplishments; very few men put those things as priorities, she still has to be in some way visually appealing before those two things become important at all. Without that, sex isn't going to happen, so we won't approach her anyway. Someone who's borderline attractive will become more so when she has other good attributes going for her; but someone who's repulsive to us isn't going to magically become attractive just because she has the classic 'great personality' or a list of accomplishments, no matter what she does or what she wears.

And a slight adjustment to Beverly128's response: I don't think female clothes are better, they just make me FEEL better.
And one last thing. A few years ago, I started dressing 'up'. Tossed away most of my jeans and khaki's, windbreakers and worn jackets. Bought some suits. Nice dress shirts. Good shoes. An expensive watch. And I noticed the change in how other people looked at me and treated me. It's become normal now; I had forgotten the difference it made. So no, I wouldn't say women's clothes are 'better'.

Badtranny
06-12-2012, 12:22 AM
What do women find so attractive in men?.

I wish straight dudes would stop asking this question as if women are some kind of divine gift. Most guys I know should thank whatever God they pray to that some women might find them attractive because they sure don't put in the effort. My experience is that men who take care of themselves don't ask such questions. They know they look good and they know exactly why we think they're attractive. They might be douche bags but at least they're nice to look at.

I could easily ask what's so attractive about women. I've literally had to force myself into intimate relations with them back when I was a pathetic closet queen. Don't get me wrong, I loooooove my girls and any friend of mine will tell you the same, but women can't hold a candle to men when it comes to pure sexiness. Sure there are loads of hot chicks out there and sometimes I meet a woman who is so sexy she even makes me skip a breath but all things being equal, a big, ripped man would win every time over a gorgeous VS model. The last thing I want in my hands is anything soft.

ReineD
06-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Reine wrote:

Why do you present an avatar here that does not look like who you feel you are?
Because I don't want to feel old, fat, homely, I want to pretend that I'm cute, pretty, beautiful,

Just to put this in the proper context, Donna had said that she doesn't feel she is a woman internally. I'm assuming she doesn't want to be one either. So I asked her (him?) why she presents as one in her avatar.

If you feel that you are a cute person internally (of if you want to be cute and pretty), then you should reflect this in your avatar.

A few years ago, I started dressing 'up'. Tossed away most of my jeans and khaki's, windbreakers and worn jackets. Bought some suits. Nice dress shirts. Good shoes. An expensive watch. And I noticed the change in how other people looked at me and treated me.

We all pigeonhole the people we see based on their initial appearance. The cues are numerous: age, general hygiene & grooming, style of clothes (whether someone presents as a biker, lawyer, or fashion designer), creativity (think art student compared to business major), ethnic cues, even height, weight, and physical attractiveness, degree of stylishness. All of these things form part of first impressions and it makes sense that people in general will be more open to others who present a positive and well groomed appearance than someone who doesn't care how they look. It is human nature, I believe, to respond to some sort of fuzzy social hierarchy.

I'm guessing this is why CDers generally want to present the best possible image of themselves in girl mode. I don't see a lot of CDers walking around dressed in slovenly girl's jeans, with torn and faded girl shirts and threadbare shoes, or a frumpy, shapeless dress. :p So I always wonder why so many CDers seem to sabotage themselves in guy mode when they don't pay equal attention to their male appearance. It almost seems a rebellion against being a guy to me. Or, maybe the CDers who do this don't care much about being guys?

Bree-asaurus
06-12-2012, 12:11 PM
What do women find so attractive in men?.

That is one of the silliest questions I have ever heard, lol! You do know that sexual attraction is not something you choose... it's something you're born with. You know, the whole "being gay isn't a choice" deal and all that?

I wish straight dudes would stop asking this question as if women are some kind of divine gift. Most guys I know should thank whatever God they pray to that some women might find them attractive because they sure don't put in the effort. My experience is that men who take care of themselves don't ask such questions. They know they look good and they know exactly why we think they're attractive. They might be douche bags but at least they're nice to look at.

I could easily ask what's so attractive about women. I've literally had to force myself into intimate relations with them back when I was a pathetic closet queen. Don't get me wrong, I loooooove my girls and any friend of mine will tell you the same, but women can't hold a candle to men when it comes to pure sexiness. Sure there are loads of hot chicks out there and sometimes I meet a woman who is so sexy she even makes me skip a breath but all things being equal, a big, ripped man would win every time over a gorgeous VS model. The last thing I want in my hands is anything soft.

Yup... men who are attractive don't ask that question... they know they are attractive.

I totally know what you mean about forcing intimate relations with women, it was ALWAYS a chore. First guy I dated was super cool and wanted to make sure I had a good first time and OH SO GOOD it was! There's just no comparison. And I'm not just talking sex... I'm talking everything from initially meeting them, dating, making out and of course, the REALLY fun stuff ;) I was never good at meeting women and flirting because I felt no need to accept the need to fit social norms. Meeting and flirting with guys, especially my current boyfriend was soooo easy, fun and full of butterflies!

Women are pretty... I can appreciate the beauty of a pretty woman... but men are just down right hawt!

But umm... back to cloths I guess... we got totally off track! Umm... Just saw Queer Eye for the Straight Guy for the first time last night... there's a perfect example of men's functional cloths vs. cloths that look dang good!

Anna Lorree
06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm guessing this is why CDers generally want to present the best possible image of themselves in girl mode. I don't see a lot of CDers walking around dressed in slovenly girl's jeans, with torn and faded girl shirts and threadbare shoes, or a frumpy, shapeless dress. :p So I always wonder why so many CDers seem to sabotage themselves in guy mode when they don't pay equal attention to their male appearance. It almost seems a rebellion against being a guy to me. Or, maybe the CDers who do this don't care much about being guys?

Exactly one of the things that I realized as I have learned/admitted that I'm not CD, but instead TS. I don't much care about my image as a man. Oh, I have tried being the dapper man who dresses nice and is well groomed. It felt even more foreign than just being a guy in Wranglers and Carhartts, so I quit. I have yet to find any male clothes that I care to take pride in like I do women's clothes. More importantly, I find very little about being a man in general that interests me. I don't fit the "guy" mold within our society.

Anna

ReineD
06-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Good point Anna, and I can totally understand why a TS would want to invest as little attention as possible to a male presentation. But, we've had threads about why CDers neglect their male appearance in the past, and the general reason given, from self-identified CDers, is that "this is just what guys do". :p

So, could this be a litmus test for determining whether someone is TS or not? Sounds too simple. On the other hand, I can totally see a CDer (who perhaps is in a pink fog), be reluctant to spend any money on a guy appearance especially if his resources are limited. I dunno. I can even see a period where a CDer might be angry over having to repress this part of himself if his family is not accepting, and just refuse to look good in male mode out of principle?

Megan_Renee
06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Omg, I can't believe this is still going! Great conversation girls!

I like to try an experiment some times when I am in guy mode. I wear a nice sports coat and bow tie. Then I go to the store and shop a little. I often find that the other shoppers and sales people are nicer to me than when I wear jeans and a hoodie... Of course, that could be because I am in my thirties and lok homeless in a hoodie...

Foxglove
06-13-2012, 02:56 AM
Good point Anna, and I can totally understand why a TS would want to invest as little attention as possible to a male presentation. But, we've had threads about why CDers neglect their male appearance in the past, and the general reason given, from self-identified CDers, is that "this is just what guys do". :p

So, could this be a litmus test for determining whether someone is TS or not? Sounds too simple.

Yes, Reine, I think it is too simple. There are plenty of cisgender guys who simply don't care about clothes. I'm TG and I don't care about male clothes. But I think I'm the type that even if I weren't TG, I still wouldn't care about male clothes.

On the other hand, I can totally see a CDer (who perhaps is in a pink fog), be reluctant to spend any money on a guy appearance especially if his resources are limited. I dunno. I can even see a period where a CDer might be angry over having to repress this part of himself if his family is not accepting, and just refuse to look good in male mode out of principle?

I think both of these are possibilities. In my case, I think it's possible I'm in something of a "reaction mode" right now. I'm looking after my feminine appearance these days, and I don't want to know anything about any sort of masculine stuff. And I think that to a certain extent it may be a matter of principle with me. I think that might be just a wee bit petty, but who can explain emotions?

Best wishes, Annabelle