PDA

View Full Version : First shoes purchase in person

Jelena
11-13-2005, 08:52 AM
I went to payless shoes yesterday and bought Jelena a pair of shoes and a pair of boots also . I was nervous going in there yet it was not crowded so i just went to the size 12 womans section and took a look at the shoes they had . I wanted to buy alot of pairs yet i ended up with 2 pairs . I get to the checkout with nobody behind me and of course the boots i get have some theft device that the checkout lady can't remove , so i need to get another pair of the same boots . By the time this happens a lady is now in line and sees what i am buying and i am really nervous now . The checkout lady was really indifferent and i felt at ease with her and it worked out ok . It felt like i was at the checkout for hours , i was scared and excited at the same time and after walking out of the store i was so excited that i had made my first purchase of shoes for Jelena . I already want to go again and buy more shoes .
Jelena

dawnmcdaniels
11-13-2005, 09:00 AM
I went to Payless as well getting some shoes for halloween and the girl said that she has a lot of men buying womens shoes so she is used to it...about a dozen men a day she said. I did discover that every payless has a different selection some bigger than others. Find the one near the Black section of town as they tend to have larger feet so that store has wider variety...Nothing racist there girls just stating the facts.

Carlacd
11-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Have bought at Payless for years and have never had a bad experience. The store clerks have even watched me try on the shoes. Some of the clerks have gotten to know me when i come in, that i buy womens shoes. Only once did i have a clerk tell me that the mens shoes were over there, and my answer back to her was that i was in the correct area. When leaving she said," have a good day and enjoy". I told her i would and then winked at her, then she finally understood. She had such a nice smile as i was leaving the store.

Adrianne
11-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Hello Jelena, payless are very good place to get shoes from, that is where i get my shoes from and the staff are good there too.

Kimberly
11-13-2005, 09:04 AM
hehe... reminds me of when I bought some shoes in London:

"Want to try them on?" yells the sales assistant across the store as she finds a UK 7.
"No thanks," I replied, blushing... starting to shake. hehe.

Ah well - all good fun. xx

Billijo49504
11-13-2005, 09:13 AM
The last time I went to Payless to get some boots, the clerk asked if they were for me. When I said they were, she told me they had a purse that matched for only $10. You know I bought the purse and the boots. She even offered me some nylon footy socks, if I wanted to try them on.

dawnmcdaniels
11-13-2005, 09:26 AM
problem I have is I cant find a 12 or 13 pair of leather boots to fit my calf...the foot is fine but calf is too small

Billijo49504
11-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey Dawn, try Avenue. They have boots with big tops. And not bad prices. I still like Payless because I can pay less.:)

dawnmcdaniels
11-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I will thanks

KathrynW
11-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Here's the link for Cloudwalkers at The Avenue
http://tinyurl.com/84suj

SaraGoth
11-13-2005, 10:59 AM
...I went out and bought something incognito. Once the K-Mart went with the automatic, self-checkouts, though, I was in heaven. The only thing I had to worry about was the thing breaking down and or the woman/man would would stand at a counter and pick their nose as if they had nothing better to do than watch me. :D

Unfortunately, I went back a couple of months later and they had stopped using them.

Anyway, I'm in Japan, now and I rarely get looks because Tokyo is a town of weird and tolerable indifference that I can blend in fairly well. As long as I don't say much. That...is...my greatest fear. Getting pegged by my voice.

Anyway, glad you had such a thrilling time. I had a couple of those in the day...and my heart still goes pitter-patter when I go out into the fray.

Enjoy the shoes and the experience!
Sarayuki :D

_Janelle_
11-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I have tried Payless and Nordstrom Rack with limited success. I got three pairs at Nordstrom Rack that I liked. Nothing at Payless. The problem I have is simply finding what I want in my size. I wear a 12W, and cute shoes in that size seem to be difficult to find - not impossible - just difficult - its not like there is a rack with only my size on it, and they all fit. It becomes a matter of picking through and finding what fits - and they usually don't have the style I am looking for.
So I think the internet is by far a better option. Places like www.shoetrader.com allow you to search by size and style, plus they have a much wider selection, so that's where I will be trying in the future.

Janelle

KatieZ
11-13-2005, 03:29 PM
When I go to payless I always wear pantyhose and no socks under my jeans. Then I can just kick off my shoes and try on whatever I want easily. I have been spotted a few times by other customers and clerks but no one has ever made a remark or even a prolonged stare. Great place for us girls to shop.

Hugs

GypsyKaren
11-13-2005, 03:30 PM
I love Payless, great selection and you can't you can't beat the prices. I bought myself two pair of boots there last week. The girls there are always polite and courteous, whether I'm dressed or in drab. You might also try DSW, they have a huge selection at great prices. Oh, I can spend hours in there.

GypsyKaren

Billijo49504
11-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Believe me the Payless shoes are reasonable, but those Cloud Walkers from Avenue are really comfortable. I had on my cloud walker loafers since 5:30 this morning w/ nylons. And my feet feel great.
But DSW doesn't go over size 11 here. I also need 12w with nylons or 13 w with thick socks.

Wendy me
11-13-2005, 06:39 PM
way to go payless is always a good place for shoes....enjoy them....

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-13-2005, 11:55 PM
those Cloud Walkers from Avenue are really comfortable.

I'll second that. I've got several pairs, all comfy. Plus they go up to size 13.

Zappos (http://www.zappos.com) is another good source for big shoes, plus the user reviews are really helpful in figuring out whether something's likely to fit. And free shipping and returns aren't bad either.

Shannon
11-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Jelena -- congratulations on the shoe shopping! Its a wonderful feeling to get home and try them on, isn't it. If there is a Discount Shoe Warehouse in your area, you might try them too. I tried on a pair of boots, en homme, with a store manager about 5 or 6 feet from me and no problems at all.

Katrina
11-14-2005, 06:59 PM
I have to vouch for DSW also, they are the BEST!!!!!!

Bridget
11-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Personally, Payless shoes has been the most positive shopping experience, period. The time I went shopping at the nearby Payless in Woodland, the young woman was so nice, and complemented my selection of shoes, especially the pair of airwalks. She also gave me a 50% discount on one of the shoes since there was a little wear on them. Although they don't always have the shoes I want, it has been my most positive shoe shopping experience. Sometimes in other places I was followed by store security which made me very nervous. (Being young, this happens whether I am shopping for anything, age discrimination and profiling, rant rant) Just let a girl shop in peace, mmkay?

Bridget
11-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Jelena -- congratulations on the shoe shopping! Its a wonderful feeling to get home and try them on, isn't it. If there is a Discount Shoe Warehouse in your area, you might try them too. I tried on a pair of boots, en homme, with a store manager about 5 or 6 feet from me and no problems at all.

I have gone to DSW in Union Square before, and although the selection is certainly impressive, it's bloody difficult to find shoes in a size above 9. There are a smattering of size 10 shoes, which, depending on the manufacturer, in my experience, may fit my feet or not. It's nearly impossible to find anything above an 11. Also, the Union Square DSW is crowded. For those not used to shopping with throngs of people all around, it's daunting, for sure. It's worth a look though.