PDA

View Full Version : Which Is Better When It Comes to SRS?

Traci Elizabeth
06-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Is it better to gain weight or lose weight for SRS?

Currently, I am 145# & 5' 7" and don't know if I should be trying to gain some weight for the surgery or not?????????????????????????

Because I have this feeling that there will be weight loss before and after surgery. Before, I can't eat solids for 4 days and I have no idea about afterwards????????????

OR should I just quit being so anal?

Jorja
06-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Most of the hight/weight charts say at 5'7" you should be between 123 and 163 pounds depending on your frame build. Keep in mind, most doctors that do SRS want a BMI of 28 or less.

StaceyJane
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I know, I'm at 190 and my doc wants me at 170. I haven't been at that weight since I was on the all MRE diet in Iraq.

AllieSF
06-11-2012, 06:03 PM
You sound like you are in the perfect range. So, stop being anal. Just be healthy and stop taking specific medicines on the "Do not take before surgery" list, mainly anything that thins the blood intentionally or as a side affect. I have had a couple of major surgeries in that area and that was on my pro-op lists. Good luck.

Frances
06-11-2012, 07:57 PM
It's better to be thinner. Everyone I know who had major complications were overweight. Also, thinner usually corrolates with low blood pressure, which is good for surgery. That being said, your weight is fine.

Stephanie-L
06-11-2012, 08:31 PM
As I am a person who does anesthesia for all kinds of surgeries, I will tell you this. Don't gain weight. You are right where you should be, just eat normally and stay there. If you have any bad habits like smoking or heavy drinking, quit those now. Make sure you get regular exercise, and have a physical if you have not had one recently, so you can spot any potential trouble spots now. Otherwise, you sound like your good to go, relax, you are one of the lucky ones......Stephanie

Kathryn Martin
06-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Why can't you eat solids for four days before the surgery? I ate my last complete meal the night before the morning surgery. I think this kind of topic does not lend itself to the open forum because there are many things I would not say here in terms of specifics about the surgery and prep for it.

Your weight is great, just keep it where it is.

Is it better to gain weight or lose weight for SRS?

Currently, I am 145# & 5' 7" and don't know if I should be trying to gain some weight for the surgery or not?????????????????????????

Because I have this feeling that there will be weight loss before and after surgery. Before, I can't eat solids for 4 days and I have no idea about afterwards????????????

OR should I just quit being so anal?

Traci Elizabeth
06-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Why can't you eat solids for four days before the surgery?

I know that sounds like overkill to me too but it is to clean your system out.

Kathryn Martin
06-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Does he do sigmoid colon resection as part of his technique?

I know that sounds like overkill to me too but it is to clean your system out.

CharleneT
06-12-2012, 04:07 AM
No colon resects, it is just Dr. C's way of cleaning you out. He prefers a gentler/slower method. As well, after surgery you are on a liquid diet for 3 days. This is to help ensure very little if anything in the bowel. He doesn't want a chance of you having a bowel movement prior to removing the packing. Dr. C tends toward a conservative - and to some - old fashioned general method.

ColleenA
06-12-2012, 11:11 AM
My BFF had a rectosigmoid vaginoplasty in Detroit. As Charlene says, a liquid diet is vital after such surgery. But she was allowed to eat normally until the night before, when she then used ... can't recall the name of that yellow liquid ... to clean out her system thoroughly.

Jorja
06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
can't recall the name of that yellow liquid ... to clean out her system thoroughly.

Nasty Stuff is what I call it.