PDA

View Full Version : Transition procedures for Australia?

Chloe new transition
11-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Howdy All,

I am at the absolute beginning of my Transitional journey, at the investigation stages actually. I haven't even spoken to my GP yet about hormones!

I'm wondering if any of the list members here are aware of the actual procedures required to even obtain hormones? Do I have to go off for couch sessions with an approved Psychiatrist first? Do I just speak to my local GP? Do I have to have been living fulltime prior to receiving hormones? Which personally I find a barbaric thing to do to someone in our situation, still looking masculine and obvious in public.

Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Chloe new transition
11-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Howdy all, got my own answers to all the queries of my previous post yesterday from a lovely lady here in Adelaide by the name of Sarah from a support / championing group here for TS/TG's called SATS (South Australian Transsexual Support). If you ever need their support give me a message and I'll pass on their details. I may be giving them a hand in the future to create a website!

End result, I'm now booked into the government appointed psychiatrist here, the earliest booking is for late March of 2006! I'll have 3 months of sessions with him, and of course answer the darned 500 question auto-profiling thingy that's is supposed to accurately put you into a nice neat little box! :rolleyes: Yeah, right!

Anyhoo's.... if that all goes well, then I can be placed onto the program and start taking hormones. So it looks like it'll be about the end of June when I get to start that aspect of things for my Transition process. Good thing I'm a patient girl! :p

Oh well, I suppose it gives me time to get acquainted to makeup at such a level that I stop looking like Marilyn Manson, or Alice Cooper for you oldies! ;)

VickySTG
11-17-2005, 05:40 AM
If you want to learn about hormones check this site out. If nothing else itwill give you some understanding so you can ask your Dr the right questions.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TsDoItYourselfHormones/

Hormones without a prescription
http://www.inhousedrugstore.com/index.html

Chloe new transition
11-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the links Vicky, I am unsure about the safety of ordering hormones via the net, particularly as Australia has really strict laws on imports of medicines that come with pretty hefty fines, and also the fact that heart disease runs in my family, and I have a very mild anxiety driven blood pressure problem. When I stress about something, my blood pressure shoots through the roof for a couple of minutes! It's fine when I exercise and for everything else, just those odd moments of stress.

I'd rather play it safe in this regard, and I know that herbs can definitely be a dangerous thing if you are not taking them under advisement of a qualified Herbalist or Naturopath; I used to work as a receptionist for a health clininc, and it was terrrible the amount of people doing self injury through self diagnosis and treatment!

I've subscribed to the email list, and am reading the messages there so as to get an understanding of what's coming up for me; but from what I've heard, the doctors I'll be dealing with in my Transition are excellent, and tailor your regiment specifically for you as an individual.

Thanks anyways.

Faye Emmette
11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Chloe,
Sorry for this being an 'old' subject, but I am worried about the use of Steroids and though I have no alternative for the feminisation, I just fear 'Roids. They can do a whole range of things and to people born male, it increases the risk of Prostate cancer.
You're really doing the right thing with everything else and your patience is great. The forums and Psychiatrist should let you know more than I can. It's just my fears as I at one stage of my life considered the treatment but the risks kept me as I am.
This was supposed to be a "Chloe, please be careful"...