PDA

View Full Version : Hi! A Cry for Help

CorrieK
06-14-2012, 01:38 AM
So last night I typed this out of frustration to send to all the surgeons and doctors. Not that it will get me anywhere but it let out some emotions, and the first time I really typed up my story. Long read, some crazy parts. Forgive the grammar. I know some of you know how this is and where I am coming from. Hopefully I will have the courage to come back to this thread. PMs welcomed for encouragement, advice. Stay tuned for the bottom for a fun fact!

To someone with an open heart and open mind:

My name is Corrie Kasal. I am a 28 year old male to female transsexual. I am writing today because I am not sure what else to do. I am scared I won’t make it to 30 as the thoughts and emotions are overwhelming me. I hadn’t realized how bad it was until last night when I had to leave work early because of an article of a girl who transitioned at 18 and was going to college and living out her life. Perfectly passable, certainly attractive. Awesome for her, and I hope that one day I can help others get there. In the meantime, for the first time in my life, I must take care of myself.

Seeing this article was so overwhelming. It brought up so much regret and sadness I could not contain it no longer. Here I’ve lost ten years of my life, some of the best, and I’ll probably lose another ten more just because the hand I’ve been dealt. Plus another 10 for all the stress and suffering.

I was at that point she was 10 years ago, up 28 years ago. Up until then I clung to religion, and society but I realized I was only hurting myself clinging on to what others wanted.

I knew I was different. I hated being a boy and I did some bad things, some gross things when I was young. Even at the age of 12 I was trying to castrate myself with fishing line, even up to 17 where I hung myself by my genitals to a clothesline. I have worn panties as long as I can remember just like the regular everyday clothing the are.  Snuck them and took a few from Walmart until they had self checkout. Washed clothes in the sink. Simple and weird as it may sound the underwear was the achor to my thoughts until I was able to dress openly now.

Life was hard growing up. My dad was non existent and my mom had severe schizophrenia. We were poor and did not have much. I ended up having to take care of my mom since after 1996 she took a turn for the worse. DHS placed me with my granny who was 85 at the time. Though she tried her best, I ended up taking care of her into my later teens.

 As I grew older and learned more about myself and the process I stopped, but I still have the thoughts to this day. Infections, Gangrene, and Flesh eating bacteria are the only thing holding me back, but even then I think what if. Thoughts that I cannot keep at bay much longer. So many times have I considered getting drunk, mangling myself up in the emergency room and the thought that just maybe I will survive and be rid of these wretched parts. Rationally this to me is ridiculous but the thought of another year like this is unbearable.

I started hormones courtesy of Inhouse Pharmacy back in 2006, though I had dabbled in 2003 as well. I was 22 when I started in 2006. I had just gone through some horrible times. Between 2004-2006 my mom died, my granny who took care of me since I was 12 died, our house burned up, my dog Mickey I had since kindergarten died, my fiancé left, I lost a job, and dropped out of school. When my fiancé left in 2006 I practically tried to kill myself. (overdosed on pills trying to get my ex to see me). I lost everything.

During the time with my fiancé I struggled with the emotions and dressing on the side. Soon as the relationship was over I hit the hormones, I knew what I had to do. I had wasted too much time already. Unfortunately I also went through the worst period of drinking and spending after this. I blew my credit, wrecked a car, and created problems lasting to this day that I don’t think it will be until I am well into my 30s to fix. Life just keeps happening and I don’t know what to do. I save up a $1,000 here something happens, save up a $1,000 there but no matter what something happens. Last it was my teeth, and before that I had to move next to work after my car died.

As of now in ten years I have managed to save up a whopping $1900 for surgery. I currently work for Lowe’s. It is stable but pays the bills and that is about it. I do some internet work but that only tends to range from 10 cents a day to around $10. Typically in between on the lower end.

I also struggle with hairloss still. By the time I turned 20 it was almost too late, I was stage IV. I think I am back to II now but it is still very noticeable and hard to hide unless I wear a headband or sunglasses up. Also a lot of any extra money I have is going to special shampoos that supposedly block testosterone and extracts, and the $150 I blew on a laser comb.

Another issue is my credit. I would love to just borrow the money I need and pay it back, but I filed bankruptcy in December 2011. I was fortunate to have my electrolysis finished but the debt I accumulated during 2007-2011 was just too much. My minimum payments were more than my total income. I was working a near minimum wage job and living off my then awesome credit. I knew it was wrong but I was so depressed from all the bad things that happened and being transsexual that I gave up hope that I would see the next day. Part of me stayed strong though, I maintained the job and coped somewhat. I recovered a little by 2009 but it was too little too late for my finances. I got notices of being sued and threats of garnishment I had no choice but to file bankruptcy.

Having bad social anxiety hasn’t helped. It has caused me to stress eat impacting my finances and health. I don’t have the friends and family network most have. My dad’s in worse shape than I am. He has bad back and is unable to find a job. I fear I will have to take care of him. I live by myself and just don’t make the income I need to save.  On the brightside the social anxiety helps steer me away from the adult industry. Though it is tempting for money.

Everyone I know, knows now. I used to work for Hertz, but when I came out there I started getting write-ups and disciplinary action for the most absurd things. I was working Lowe’s part time trying to save . I knew the writing was on the wall at Hertz so I promptly quit, and took this full time position at Lowe’s.  I waited to tell them, I could not let what happened at Hertz happen there. Eventually I could not contain it though, and changes to my body were very obvious. I came out to my hr manager, who has been extremely supportive. Most the rest of the store doesn’t seem to care. The only real complaint I had was from one of the girls about my ear piercing.

That said, my day to day work life is miserable. Especially in summer. I see so many women in cute dresses and skirts and I drown myself in jealously and sorrow. Jealous they are so lucky they wear things like that without fear of their own parts, and sorrow that I may never get to fully enjoy those freedoms. I haven’t been able to go swimming since I was 15. Tucking is horrible and only reminds me of what is down there.

 I am noticing an attraction to certain men (British haha) sometimes but feel like a grotesque freak because I know I could get beat up or worse if they saw what I had in my pants if we were intimate. I think if I was still 18 I could bear longer, but the 20s are so necessary for growing and learning about love and sex and I am missing and have missed so much already. Of course I would tell someone  first in a safe location, but accidents and spur of the moments can happen too. Mostly still am attracted to women though.

I can’t sleep most nights, in fact right now I am typing this because I can’t sleep. The thoughts are overwhelming me. Thoughts I’ve dealt with for thousands of days, each day building on the next to the point I do not see making it past the next. My hopes and dreams are crushed.

That dream. Since I was little. To overcome being different and embrace it. Show the world how strong I have become.  To finish college maybe even in genetics. To find someone to love me for who I am. Adopt a child in need. Be a big sister to someone. Help others in my situation. Become the lady I was always meant to be.

Fortunately, with a note from Dr. Dawn Singleton (my counselor), I have been able to get hormones through my work health insurance. I see an endocrinologist (Wynter Kipgen) as well for checkups. This helped a little. I am sure they would have no problem with an official letter for surgery. Unfortunately I do not see Dr. Singleton often since that takes out of my surgery money.

As you have seen, I am in an awful situation. What I was wondering is do you offer any type of aid for someone in my situation? I am so desperate. I am willing to provide any documentation of my situation. If there is some way I can work it off like filing or phones, or deskwork, anything I would be willing to help. For the surgeons I even offered for them to use me to practice a new technique. If it was as simple as moving in with mommy and daddy or living with a friend I would, but my friends and family network is non existent compared to most.

I am aware of the Thailand option but even that is far away (in more ways than one).  

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Corrie

*Fun Fact* My original birth certificate says female.

Noemi
06-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Corrie,

This is quite heavy. But you will laugh if I say you sound clear and focused and in possession of a properly functioning skull(I mean brain, but it is fun to say skull).

You are young yet. Continue to put one foot in front of the other with clear intention and you will get there. Avoid booze and drugs please, that is very bad news and will rob you of your spirituality which is what you will need for your journey.

Welcome to this forum, it is a wonderful place to get information. There are some bright folks here that can help you.

It will get better, keep your chin up you are an important person who has purpose.

♥♥♥
Noemi

ColleenA
06-14-2012, 07:43 AM
... an article of a girl who transitioned at 18 and was going to college and living out her life. Perfectly passable, certainly attractive. Awesome for her, and I hope that one day I can help others get there. In the meantime, for the first time in my life, I must take care of myself.

Seeing this article was so overwhelming. It brought up so much regret and sadness I could not contain it no longer. Here I’ve lost ten years of my life, some of the best, and I’ll probably lose another ten more just because the hand I’ve been dealt. Plus another 10 for all the stress and suffering.

Corrie,
When I first read your post, I didn't want to respond because there was so much going on and I didn't feel qualified to comment on so many parts of it. Having had time to think about it though, I do want to say you should not compare your experiences to someone else's, especially if it's going to bring you down. I'm not saying you were wrong for getting hit hard by the article you read - that was a valid reaction you could neither anticipate nor control. BUT don't dwell on the fact that another person was able to transition and seemingly get her life more on track at a younger age. Wishing your past was different doesn't accomplish anything. (Besides which, you don't know her whole story, so it may look a whole lot rosier than it actually is.)

I also want to say that from what you described, it seems like you have been able to achieve some positive steps in the midst of a lot of chaos. Many bad things were dumped on you; others came about due to choices you made. But it's encouraging to read that you want to take care of yourself and are working to get things moving in the direction you want. I think in the long run you will appreciate yourself for what you achieve. (I am not trying to minimize, though, how much hell has been and is still in your life.)

No matter what encouragement and support others provide, it will be you who crosses the finish line. Hang in there.

outhiking
06-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi. Please do stick with us. This is a wonderfully supportive community and know that you are not alone. Although our circumstances differ, we have all at one point or another been at the end of our rope - just know that it's possible to add more rope and continue on your journey.

abigailf
06-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Corrie,

I am 48. I wish I was your age. But I am not, so I am going to make the best out of being a 48 year old woman. Look, you have so much going for you; you know what you are, you accept it and you have a working plan to get to where you want to be. Stay strong, keep going and prod forward.

Also, don't mutilate yourself, the surgeons will need those parts to make the new parts. Consider it a peaceful coexistence for now.

juno
06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
I have spent so much of my life looking forward to death. For me, that changed the first time i looked in the mirror and saw a woman, at 45 years old.

Doing my research on various surgeries, I realize that the most important procedure to become a passable female, besides keeping on HRT, is to fix your self confidence. That is why I signed up for a burlesque class with 5 genetic women, and shook my bare ass on stage in front of total strangers. It really does work.

Also: peppermint or spearmint tea twice a day was shown to lower testosterone by about 30% in women, and also increase estrogen. I don't know how effective it is in men, but it will definitely help.

CorrieK
06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi again! Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. Feeling a little better now. Don't know how those of you who have seen more of the block than I have can do it. I have made it around once and it can be quite miserable. The majority of people at my work are 18-25. Probably why it does not seem to bother many. You are much stronger for sure, I will take that as a source a inspiration, it really does seem the climate has changed a lot even just in the past few years.

Nice to have a functioning skull! I will have to remember that next time someone calls me crazy.

Juno, I will try the tea! That sounds great! You are so right on the self confidence. I have noticed at work when I am not dwelling on it and just being me I seemed to get ma'am ed and miss much more often. No worries, while it maybe more like a cold war then a peaceful co-existence, I won't be doing anything crazy.

Realized something else to. I had never told my Uncle! He is one of the few family I do sort of have. We never talk but my cousin got married last year and I saw him, his wife, and their kids so I figure hey we don't talk anyway so what do I have to lose. Surely they had seen the changes. Personalized the story to him (he knows everything outside of being trans) and I am mailing the letter tomorrow. My cousin is on my Facebook so I know she has seen my picture and name change (legal to).

Pamela Kay
06-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi Corrie,

I'm 48 and less than a year into transition myself. Age is an issue on some physical changes but you are still young enough to get good results. If I have learned anything on this site it's that it is never to late and if you really have to transition you will find a way.

Not saying it will be quick but you will get there.

CorrieK
06-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi Pam! Could not help but notice you are here in OKC. Have you been to Twofold group? I have not been much this year without a car. I am out in Edmond. Yeah I should really be happy with the results.

It is probably too late on my hair (lost significant by I was 20, really didn't hit hormones hard until 22) but everything has been wonderful. I have better breasts then the three genetic girls I have dated, plus comments from genetics younger than me at work that my skin is softer than theirs. So not all bad. Wow just cheered myself up. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Diane Elizabeth
06-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Hi Corrie, After reading your story I just had to reply. You are not alone. There is something in your story that each of us can relate to. Yes it is tough and frustrating to go on in life at times. I waited unril I was in my 50's before starting. I do have some family support. I am just a month from coming out at work. I know it will be a bumpy road for me as it has for you, emotionally. I wish you all the best for you and hope you can get back on track. I am almost 60, and though I have no money for surgery, I still hope to be able to some day.

We have a long road to travel. Just take it a step at a time.

Kaitlyn Michele
06-15-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm sorry that you are in a tough position.

You can only take it day by day, and hopefully stay away from comparing yourself to everyone else.. Money is one of the factors that impacts transition for sure. Age is another, and i was 46 when i started..it took time to get the money..

as you look at life choices, you can't undo the bankruptcy and spent $$, but you can change your $$ habits going forward...
If you are willing to work it off, start working it off in advance and get that 2nd job...and save all of it...its doable..and you are certainly motivated enough.

above all else, by focusing on what others have you are making it harder than it already is... i hope you can start working towards your dreams

Pamela Kay
06-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi Corrie, I just sent you a PM.

Yes I've been in the Twofold Group since January and go every week I'm able. I recognized your doctors but you didn't have your location then so I didn't want to spill the beans if you didn't want it out. I've met several other transwomen through the group but have heard a lot of others discussed that I haven't met.

Glad to finally chat with one.

emmicd
06-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Dear Corrie,

I read your story and am very touched by it. I think it is such a difficult situation to be in and not many understand. I understand because I too struggled with my gender identity from a very young age, around 4-5 years old. I cry myself to sleep even today sometimes because of my overwhelming need to be female. I have tried to carry on a socalled "normal" life, whatever that means. I too have come to accept who I am and now taking the steps to move forward. It is a very emotional time for me and the only comfort I have is some support of family and my dress up time. I am still very secretive about it but am trying to take the proper steps in coming out. I even did a coming out video on youtube. I feel desperate sometimes and just want to be me and still keep my family and my work responsibilities. I read your story and am sorry to hear of your troubles but I also see a very strong and courageous person who certainly deserves to live as she feels. You are doing the right things in the sense of your hopes to transition and I applaud you for that. I believe you have to take a step back, think calmly and refrain from the things that only hurt you like self mutilation and the bottle. You can successfully become the woman you feel inside and you have the inner strength to do so. You just have to believe that it is possible and then you have to commit to a plan or strategy. You seem to have command of all your faculties and are a very compassionate person. I hope you get positive feedback on your efforts and this letter. You deserve compassion too and you certainly will find this forum very helpful. The girls here are wonderful and very intelligent and they all speak with sincerity and hope. I will keep you in my prayers and wish you all the best in your journey to become a beautiful woman.

emmi

vijay
06-18-2012, 02:56 AM
corriek i am 20 now. i have the same problem as you.

LisaMallon
06-18-2012, 04:23 AM
Corrie, I'm 55 and have ran (and ran and ran...) from the same issue all my life. And I just can't run any longer.

I can't give you any advice, I can't help you, except to say I understand everything you say. And everything you feel is what I feel.

I'm staring my journey properly now, I have my 2nd gender consultant meeting this week.

We will never be happy until we are the women we were supposed to be. We got stiffed in the lottery of life.
Like yourself I think all the time about what could have been if our bodies had matched our brains.

But, with some hard work and some luck we might be able to get there. To right the wrong.

Stick in there love, it will be tough and it will take time but we can both get there.

What's say we make a deal and keep in touch with each other as we both do what we need to do to be happy.

As the song goes:
t's a long and dusty road, It's a hot and a heavy load
and the folks I meet ain't always kind.
Some are bad and some are good.
Some have done the best they could.
Some have tried to ease my troublin' mind.

But unlike the song, maybe we both can have a good ending to our journeys.