PDA

View Full Version : Cake boss fiasco

rebekkadg
06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the news story here is the link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/12/cake-boss-carmen-carrera-transphobic-joke_n_1591366.html?utm_hp_ref=transgender

I can't help but feel a little sorry for Buddy (the cake boss) in the entire situation. Yeah the joke was inapproriate but I couldn't help but shake my head and laugh when he might have well insulted a number of trans people again with his appology when he specified his support for them by saying he was a supporter of gay rights.

Anyone have any feelings about it after hearing about this story?

ReineD
06-14-2012, 04:34 PM
It shows there is a dire lack of information among the general population.

We really do need to teach our children, in schools, the diversity and complex relationships between chromosomes, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, and sexual attraction.

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
This has nothing to do with the transsexual community.

Carmen Carrera is a drag performer and a self proclaimed gay male.
If she is to proclaim transsexual status like what I have read recently she has just set the transsexual community back by her past behavior.

No wonder Cake Boss Buddy Valastro is confused, I would be too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on Buddy's side on this.

Julia

Bree-asaurus
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
This has nothing to do with the transsexual community.

Carmen Carrera is a drag performer and a self proclaimed gay male.
If she is to proclaim transsexual status like what I have read recently she has just set the transsexual community back by her past behavior.

No wonder Cake Boss Buddy Valastro is confused, I would be too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm on Buddy's side on this.

Julia

I'm not sure on this whole thing... but I read that Carmen was devastated by all this...

And I once proclaimed myself as a straight male, a cross dresser and a gay male... And later realized I was transsexual. Is she not allowed to be confused like the rest of us?

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Bree,

Yes that's fine but she is in the lime light and you are not.

She is a public figure and her behavior has caused confusion upon confusion.

Julia

Bree-asaurus
06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Bree,

Yes that's fine but she is in the lime light and you are not.

She is a public figure and her behavior has caused confusion upon confusion.

Julia

Lime light or not... she's still human and she shouldn't be subject to some higher standard simply because she is in the media.

What happened sucks, but she's not to blame... the people who are critical of her and other minorities are to blame. She made it very clear to the producers of the show how transsexuals should be identified and what kind of language should be used to describe her on the show. They didn't listen, hence the apology... if you can call it one.

ReineD
06-14-2012, 05:06 PM
I didn't know that she identifies as a gay man, nor do I believe the people watching the show realized this. What they saw however, was someone who obviously looks like a woman and who is characterized as a male based on her past or her genetics. And this is very sad.

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Reine and Bree,

Apparently she " did " identify as a Gay male.
Now she does not.
People in the public light can and do damage to their individual groups they represent each and every day.

I'm not saying TLC is correct in this but she also has to correct her past in order to avoid the inevitable confusion by the public.

Because of all this you know your going to see the confusion that Joe and Jane Public have about what being gay is and what being transsexual is.
It's just another stumbling block we didn't need.

Julia

Bree-asaurus
06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Reine and Bree,

Apparently she " did " identify as a Gay male.
Now she does not.
People in the public light can and do damage to their individual groups they represent each and every day.

I'm not saying TLC is correct in this but she also has to correct her past in order to avoid the inevitable confusion by the public.

Because of all this you know your going to see the confusion that Joe and Jane Public have about what being gay is and what being transsexual is.
It's just another stumbling block we didn't need.

Julia

I agree with you there Julia... I do see it as a blow to the transsexual public image...

The difference is I'm not blaming her. Being transsexual is hard enough has it is. The fact that she can handle being transsexual AND being in the public eye is amazing. You're argument saying it's her job to make sure her journey to self realization doesn't effect our social view of transsexuals is like telling women not to wear skirts because that's why they get raped.

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Bree,

What I'm attempting to convey is that anyone that is in the public eye whether that would be a professional athlete. a political figure or in this case a transsexual woman has a duty to themselves and the people and organizations they represent by behaving themselves in a way that promotes themselves and the organizations they represent in a positive and a factually correct manner.

When they don't do this or they become involved in something that is less than factual it not only effects them but it effects everyone that is associated with them.

It would be wise for transsexual groups to distance themselves from this as quickly and cleanly as possible in an attempt to minimize damage.

Julia

arbon
06-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Most non trans people will not care how she has or does identify or understand the differences. To most of them it is all the same.

What they did was simply mean regardless.

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Arbon,

Sadly what you say is true.
The damage has been done.

Julia

Bree-asaurus
06-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Bree,

What I'm attempting to convey is that anyone that is in the public eye whether that would be a professional athlete. a political figure or in this case a transsexual woman has a duty to themselves and the people and organizations they represent by behaving themselves in a way that promotes themselves and the organizations they represent in a positive and a factually correct manner.

When they don't do this or they become involved in something that is less than factual it not only effects them but it effects everyone that is associated with them.

It would be wise for transsexual groups to distance themselves from this as quickly and cleanly as possible in an attempt to minimize damage.

Julia

Oh give me a break. Every person has the right to live their lives as they see fit... and as they are ABLE to. Are you in the public eye? No. So don't sit here and say what someone in the public eye should or should not do when you have NO IDEA what it's like.

She was probably trying to do a good thing and get more positive exposure for transsexuals and the SHOW, not HER, make a huge mess out of it.

You're sitting here saying that somebody else should live their life a certain way, when I'm SURE you would be quite offended if someone told you how you need to live your life.

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Bree,

Despite what your opinion is of what I believe you have to admit the entire situation has screwed the TS community.
I personally could give a Sh7t about her or Cake Boss.

Julia

Bree-asaurus
06-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Bree,

Despite what your opinion is of what I believe you have to admit the entire situation has screwed the TS community.
I personally could give a Sh7t about her or Cake Boss.

Julia

No I do totally agree on that point... this is no good for any of us :(

And Cake Boss is a lame show anyway... which is probably why they were trying to get a "OMG MAN GIRL GAY TRANNY" on their show in the first place...

And I like you Julia... please don't take my disagreement personally :)

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't Bree.

I was looking at your photo of you in the cowboy hat on the picture thread and I think your a doll.
You look so damn cute!!!!

Sally24
06-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Otherwise known as throwing her under the bus.:slap:

I choose to support her and realize she's just human. Compassion can't be learned or faked.

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Her choice Sally not mine.

Here come's the bus Sally!

She's a has been already.....................NEXT!!! :lol:

Aprilrain
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Reine Richards greatest regret was being publicly trans, why ruin your chances for a semi normal life by telling everyone your trans? That being said this was a stupid sophomoric homophobic prank.

Deanna Jeanine
06-14-2012, 08:48 PM
:bonk::rofl:
Remember girls...this is " REALITY TV" Yeah right, besides if it were really reality TV is would be down here in Louisiana like all the rest of them...
:eek::believeit:

Bree-asaurus
06-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Reality TV is anything but reality lol...

Except COPS... COPS has reality TV down! :D

Julia_in_Pa
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
I enjoy the beatings on COPS.

I have since 1990. :)

JulieC
06-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I think our society has limited our view, and restricted our ability to speak positively in some respects. We have millions of people who are transgender in some way, yet we have no pronouns to address transgender people in the third person. Anthony isn't stupid for saying "it". As condescending as it comes across, it's almost like our language sets a trap for him. If there was a primary color in our spectrum for which we did not have a word, what would you say? That's the conundrum faced by people who aren't aware of transgenderism.

Cake Boss the series and Buddy in the form of his business have been very supportive of the GLBT community in the past.

Bree-asaurus
06-14-2012, 08:55 PM
"Why are you so sweaty?"

"I was watching COPS"

Cake Boss the series and Buddy in the form of his business have been very supportive of the GLBT community in the past.

Support of GLB is not support of GLBT

Pink Person
06-14-2012, 09:17 PM
I like Carmen Carrera. I think she's very sweet and honest. When she was on Drag Race it was obvious to me that she was trans, and made several indirect admissions about being trans. I have known a significant number of drag performers that were trans. That some drag performers might also be trans shouldn't surprise anyone. I also met her at our Pridefest a couple of years ago. She did a show and a meet and greet session. I found her to be absolutely charming.

Eryn
06-14-2012, 11:13 PM
I think our society has limited our view, and restricted our ability to speak positively in some respects. We have millions of people who are transgender in some way, yet we have no pronouns to address transgender people in the third person.

Is there something wrong with using "he" or "she?"

ReneeT
06-15-2012, 05:47 AM
My only contribution here is that i found the apology to be entirely appropriate. While support of LGB people does not automatically imply support of trans people, i dont discount it either. I agree that the producers of this lame show attempted to bump their ratings by pandering to peoples baser emotions.

Sally24
06-15-2012, 07:14 AM
I have known a significant number of drag performers that were trans. That some drag performers might also be trans shouldn't surprise anyone.
I have also observed this. Funny.....pre-ops are dissed for turning to the sex trade for money. When they do a legal job like Drag they are criticized for "confusing" people. So much for supporting our sisters, eh?

She's a has been already.....................

Actually NO. Her career is continueing to accelerate. She is flown all over the country every week because she is in such high demand. She is sweet, talented, and beautiful.......Jeez, is this the type of person we want representing us?

Julia_in_Pa
06-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Actually NO. Her career is continueing to accelerate. She is flown all over the country every week because she is in such high demand. She is sweet, talented, and beautiful.......Jeez, is this the type of person we want representing us?

Beautiful? No.
Talented? Have you slept with her?
Sweet? Has she refilled your iced tea and brought you the dessert menu?

She may represent you but she doesn't represent me or others like myself and I thank God for it.

LeaP
06-15-2012, 08:34 AM
I have also observed this. Funny.....pre-ops are dissed for turning to the sex trade for money. When they do a legal job like Drag they are criticized for "confusing" people. So much for supporting our sisters, eh?

Drag is THE public's view of what being trans is all about, in my opinion far more than the trans prostitute stereotype. I even get this from my wife. Regardless of whether some of these performers are trans or not, drag is a distortion from the point of view of a transsexual that just wants a normal life, whatever value it has for the gay community, as entertainment generally, or anything else.

I can sympathize with her personally in some respects, but that's not the same as supporting drag as a representation of transsexuality.

SandraAbsent
06-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Rare opportunity to post an identical response to two completely separate threads, but here we go...

(ref: Never too old to come out and transition (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?176205-Never-too-old-to-come-out-and-transition) )There have been so many comments I've heard about how shameful it is that someone would transition, turn their backs on the TG community, and live a stealth life. If there was ever any question, its articles like this that make it very clear. I don't know why so many people put themselves out there and then get upset when they are misrepresented. You see it in the media all over the place. Here's a hint girls, I work for a news paper as an advertising account executive and my experience tells me Shocking stories = Readers, Readers = Advertisement $$$. Quite frankly that's all anyone in the media is concerned about. Social responsibility only extends as far as it is profitable. I'm fortunate that I work for a paper that is profitable because we right positive community pieces and have socially conscious publishers. However, I will take some of the credit for it being profitable I've been approached several times by different media outlets asking to do a story. I vehemently decline, because I know better!

ReneeT
06-15-2012, 10:44 AM
We are drifting a bit off topic, but I think, on the whole, that drag has a negative impact on the public perception of transexuality. *It creates an exaturated caricature that serves only to make us objects of amusement and deny our legitamacy as real people. *It perpetuates the notion, both within the community and without, that the "entertainment" industry is where we are likely to end up if we are so brave (or stupid) to venture out of our closets. *Drag is a dead end image or us. *I think it is very similar to "white-face" comedy of yers past that seemingly gave brown people legitamacy in a white world, but only if they pretended to be, in an over-the-top fashion, someone that the white world would never accept in reality. *Do you thing the racial-centric equality movement would stand for that today? *I think not. *Drag also objectifies the performers, making it easier to target gender-variant people for discrimination, marginalization, and violence, sonce we are not real people.

I have been to my share of drag bars, seeking a safe venue for my first steps out of the closet. It was helpful at the time, because i hadnt yet developed the confidence to venture out into the real world. *As society becomes more accepting overall, these "crutches" will be less necessary. *Distancing ourselves, as the trans community, from drag can only helptear down the perception that trans = drag = fake

SandraAbsent
06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
We are drifting a bit off topic, but I think, on the whole, that drag has a negative impact on the public perception of transexuality. *It creates an exaturated caricature that serves only to make us objects of amusement and deny our legitamacy as real people. *It perpetuates the notion, both within the community and without, that the "entertainment" industry is where we are likely to end up if we are so brave (or stupid) to venture out of our closets. *Drag is a dead end image or us. *I think it is very similar to "white-face" comedy of yers past that seemingly gave brown people legitamacy in a white world, but only if they pretended to be, in an over-the-top fashion, someone that the white world would never accept in reality. *Do you thing the racial-centric equality movement would stand for that today? *I think not. *Drag also objectifies the performers, making it easier to target gender-variant people for discrimination, marginalization, and violence, sonce we are not real people.

I have been to my share of drag bars, seeking a safe venue for my first steps out of the closet. It was helpful at the time, because i hadnt yet developed the confidence to venture out into the real world. *As society becomes more accepting overall, these "crutches" will be less necessary. *Distancing ourselves, as the trans community, from drag can only helptear down the perception that trans = drag = fake

I could not have said it better myself.

MC-lite
06-15-2012, 01:35 PM

@ReneeT: I agree. And so do many other TSes. It's even been discussed in a couple of different threads here, sometimes forcing the thread to be locked by the moderators.

I've never been to a drag bar. Truth be told, I find drag a little offensive, because people think that I'm into drag because I'm a transsexual. I don't like being forced to explain the difference to them.

Drag is to Trans like Geisha is to Japanese Women.

Kathryn Martin
06-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Uhhhmmmm, what are we talking about? Quite frankly I don't ever think that anyone would equate, compare or liken me to this person. And in any event Cake Boss is a third rate, stupid, ridiculous who on earth would watch this sh*t kind of show. If you don't have anything better to do than this show, you are likely going to be prejudiced somehow anyway. Why are we making this cr*p the standard for trans acceptance and representation. It's the cake version of Jerry Springer - really!

Rebecca Star
06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
We really do need to teach our children, in schools, the diversity and complex relationships between chromosomes, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, and sexual attraction.

What do you plan to do with all the bigots and misguided nitwits?:tongue:

Julia_in_Pa
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Drag is offensive to me as well.
It's just more of what TS women are not.

Julia

@ReneeT: I agree. And so do many other TSes. It's even been discussed in a couple of different threads here, sometimes forcing the thread to be locked by the moderators.

I've never been to a drag bar. Truth be told, I find drag a little offensive, because people think that I'm into drag because I'm a transsexual. I don't like being forced to explain the difference to them.

Drag is to Trans like Geisha is to Japanese Women.

MC-lite
06-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Uhhhmmmm, what are we talking about? Quite frankly I don't ever think that anyone would equate, compare or liken me to this person. And in any event Cake Boss is a third rate, stupid, ridiculous who on earth would watch this sh*t kind of show. If you don't have anything better to do than this show, you are likely going to be prejudiced somehow anyway. Why are we making this cr*p the standard for trans acceptance and representation. It's the cake version of Jerry Springer - really!

@Kathryn Martin: Because, I'm sorry to say, that many people do equate us to shows like Rupal's drag race and the like. It's been said to me on a number of occasions, often by people who mean well.

True, many of us do not watch these shows, but we end up being adversely affected by those who do, which must be a number of people, because the shows are still on the air, often running for more than one season.

It's a disappointing indicator of the state of society, but it is what it is. :(

Kaitlyn Michele
06-15-2012, 02:27 PM
There is a day to day real life component many of us face...that is that we grow into self knowledge...so many of us identified as this or that prior to the big realization...

I don't believe Carmen has any more or less responsibility with regards to my well being as anyone else, and its unrealistic to ask her to stay out of the limelight if she is the type to trade off the limelight...its her life...

I think we just have to deal with it.. I saw drag race, and i thought carmen was trans as well...

the thing about rupauls drag race is that is actually just like any other reality show and by focusing on drag it says that drag queens are just like toddlers, cake bosses, amazing racers and survivors...no better or worse..just humans...it puts drag queens on equal footing as anyone else..

i watched this season with my daughter and some of it was very moving, and the final winner seemed like a truly wonderful person...

i do realize as a practical matter that it complicates the transitioning transsexuals life...it highlights how the ts agenda and the tg agenda can be at odds....what's good for me might not be good for you..

If i go meet a guy from OK cupid for a cup of coffee, my past is a huge part of what is going on, if we hit it off, it is very unlikely that he will be happy to hear of my past

.. and that has nothing to do with carmen carrera or rupauls drag race...

Bree-asaurus
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Drag is offensive to me as well.
It's just more of what TS women are not.

Julia

I've seen a drag show at a local gay bar... I don't get it. Several of my friends find the shows fun but it's just boring and silly to me. I avoid those kinds of things at all costs.

ReineD
06-15-2012, 04:48 PM
It occurs to me that Carrera is no more a representative of the average transwoman who keeps a low profile with work and going about her day-to-day business, than the sexy Burlesque dancers are representative of the average GG.

I really do think that anyone who reads a story about a transwoman who was either fired from her job or who was universally accepted (such as a high school teacher in the Northwest I once read about), will not place these transwomen in the same league as Carrera, who obviously is into the showbusiness aspect. Just like people know that most GGs aren't in the same league as Dita Von Teese (http://images.askmen.com/celebs/women/models_150/186_dita_von_teeselarge_image-1.jpg) ... (as much as we may want to look like that) :p

Eryn
06-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Another thought that occurs to me is that the "LGBT Community" is commonly and interchangeably called the "gay community" by the speaking media. It's a lot easier to pronounce "gay" that "ellgeebeetee." I very much doubt that the people who made the "support the gay community" statement in the apology for the improper joke meant to exclude Trans people or misidentify them as being gay.

Bree-asaurus
06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Another thought that occurs to me is that the "LGBT Community" is commonly and interchangeably called the "gay community" by the speaking media. It's a lot easier to pronounce "gay" that "ellgeebeetee." I very much doubt that the people who made the "support the gay community" statement in the apology for the improper joke meant to exclude Trans people at all.

That is possible... but it is also possible that they don't know the difference between a gay man and a transsexual woman.

Aprilrain
06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
That is possible... but it is also possible that they don't know the difference between a gay man and a transsexual woman.

they likely don't care or believe there IS a difference. To them we're all a bunch of fags!

Bree-asaurus
06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
they likely don't care or believe there IS a difference. To them we're all a bunch of fags!

Exactly... *sigh*

Clearly, because of their behavior on the show and the fake apology, they thought Carmen was a man anyway, because she was born with a penis.

Eryn
06-15-2012, 05:17 PM

If someone works in television they will be working with openly gay people. For someone in that position the difference would be quite apparent. However, it would still be easy to be sloppy and use "gay" in place of "LGBT" or "Transsexual" when describing the community being supported.

Frankly, I don't think that there was any way that they could do the apology right. Somebody would take offense no matter what statement was made!

Julia_in_Pa
06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Frankly, I don't think that there was any way that they could do the apology right. Somebody would take offense no matter what statement was made!

Very true. What's needed here is to have them and her keep their damn mouths shut.

Julia

Badtranny
06-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Let's not hate on Carmen folks, she's just another soul on this crazy TS journey.

For the record I LOVE Drag Race, and I LOVE RuPaul. Carmen was one of my favorite girls in that season and I too thought she was probably trans as well, but that show is for drag performers only and it's my understanding that Ru doesn't allow girls who are on HRT or in the midst of transition. Carmen definitely identified as a gay male at one point and I'm sure coming out as trans was very difficult because there is a good deal of prejudice in the gay (even drag queens) community towards trans women.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being a Drag performer. Cher has been doing it for years.

Bree-asaurus
06-15-2012, 05:29 PM
If someone works in television they will be working with openly gay people. For someone in that position the difference would be quite apparent. However, it would still be easy to be sloppy and use "gay" in place of "LGBT" or "Transsexual" when describing the community being supported.

"I apologize to Carmen and the transsexual community for assuming that MTF transsexuals were men and making their struggles a derogatory joke for the sake of gaining ratings."

It isn't that hard to make a heartfelt apology when you actually care...

Eryn
06-15-2012, 06:07 PM
It isn't that hard to make a heartfelt apology when you actually care...

If you expect them to fall on their swords over this you are mistaken. This is a minor annoying blip in their world view. In fact, the chance of them doing anything to promote LGBT acceptance in the future is low. We're going to be put on "ignore" as far as the people on that show is concerned and I really don't blame them. This will also bleed over to any other productions that they work on:

"Have who as a guest? You're kidding! You don't want to do that. Let me tell you what happened when we had one of them on Cake Boss..."

Bree-asaurus
06-15-2012, 06:10 PM
If you expect them to fall on their swords over this you are mistaken. This is a minor annoying blip in their world view. In fact, the chance of them doing anything to promote LGBT acceptance in the future is low. We're going to be put on "ignore" as far as the people on that show is concerned and I really don't blame them. This will also bleed over to any other productions that they work on:

"Have who as a guest? You're kidding! You don't want to do that. Let me tell you what happened when we had one of them on Cake Boss..."

Not arguing that... society in general doesn't give two ****s about us. I'm just saying... they really could care less, and the only reason they made any kind of apology is because a few, numbered voices were able to shout loud enough to grab some sort of media attention.

Eryn
06-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Agreed, but what I am pointing out is that after the initial apology was made it was really counterproductive to nit-pick the language of that apology. Yes, we've probably educated some people on the nuances of how to refer to TS folk, but we've also given them a stronger lesson that it's best to avoid TS folk completely.

Bree-asaurus
06-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Agreed, but what I am pointing out is that after the initial apology was made it was really counterproductive to nit-pick the language of that apology. Yes, we've probably educated some people on the nuances of how to refer to TS folk, but we've also given them a stronger lesson that it's best to avoid TS folk completely.

Well... it's simple chit chat between transsexuals... just because our discussions aren't going to start a revolution means we shouldn't have them? We're just talking here, not starting a political movement lol :)

JulieK1980
06-15-2012, 09:39 PM
The twitter feed referring to the TS as an "it" I think is what truly infuriates me here. While the apology sounds sincere, that twitter reply is way over the top. It's one thing to refer to someone as the wrong gender out of ignorance of transexuals, it's another thing altogether to completely dehumanize the person and refer to them as an object.

Kelly DeWinter
06-15-2012, 11:02 PM
I love Drag Queens and admire the entertainment they provide. It goes all the way back to Roman times when men would perform male and female roles, Japanse Kabuki theatre, all men playing female roles. It's just entertainment.

I'm more concered about the networks plan about

"... and are reviewing the content to see whether it could be reintroduced following edits ."

Talk about rewriting history to make it acceptable, what's up with that ?

ReneeT
06-16-2012, 06:13 AM
It occurs to me that Carrera is no more a representative of the average transwoman who keeps a low profile with work and going about her day-to-day business, than the sexy Burlesque dancers are representative of the average GG.

I really do think that anyone who reads a story about a transwoman who was either fired from her job or who was universally accepted (such as a high school teacher in the Northwest I once read about), will not place these transwomen in the same league as Carrera, who obviously is into the showbusiness aspect. Just like people know that most GGs aren't in the same league as Dita Von Teese (http://images.askmen.com/celebs/women/models_150/186_dita_von_teeselarge_image-1.jpg) ... (as much as we may want to look like that) :p

While i agree with your perspecive on theoretical terms, in practice the analogy doesn't hold up because almost no one knows a trans woman or transmam (that they know of) and almost everyone knows a "typical" gg. So, while it is easy to discount burlesque dancers as not being representative of the broader population of women, it is also easy to accept that drag performers DO represent the broader TS community. The only way through this is to continue to highlight those trans people, when they are willing, who have succesfully transitioned and assumed boring, mundane, everyday lives. Over time, this perception as just regular women will crowd out the drag image. The gay community took a bit more aggressive approach, in public involuntary "outings". This i do not support

Sally24
06-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Thank you Reine! I think that is a perfect analogy. Even when I was a kid I knew the difference between Christine Jorgensen and Uncle Miltie or Dame Edna. They were performers just like Drag Queens or Show Girls. You know it's a performance and a character and that person is "acting". Off stage they can and are usually very different people.

Sally24
06-16-2012, 09:07 AM
As to Carmen's take on this which no one has quoted.

"I specifically told them what terminology to use, why I was doing the show, why I was going along with this," Carrera said of the long car ride from Manhattan to Hoboken she spent with the show's producers outlining what would occur during filming. "I want to send out a message of equality and of acceptance and I was excited to be working on a show that wasn’t necessarily aimed at an LGBT audience,” she said. They assured her, "We’re a family show, we would never do that to you -- we respect you as a woman."
To viewers it seemed as though Carrera was willingly taking part in a obviously transphobic prank, but she attributes this to editing. "I’ve worked in reality television before, they have all that footage, they can play out the scene however they want to play out the scene. I was gonna flirt with him, it was gonna be a reveal, because supposedly he was a womanizer or whatever, and it was gonna be a reveal: ‘Yeah, she’s transgender, she was born male... whatever, whatever.’ And when we taped it, in the club, it wasn’t like he freaked out and had this whole thing and ran out," she said.

"He was shocked, but I was right there and he shook my hand. We were hanging out -- this was all is on tape! We filmed that scene of people coming together, regardless of if I was transgender or not. You didn’t see any of that, that’s why I was so upset!” Carrera added.
She also explained how "networks promote this thing where transgender people are trying to trick people. What the show portrayed is how I'm trying to prank him into believing that I was a real woman just to say 'Ha! Ha! The jokes on him,' and that makes me look like I'm really a dude and that's not what I was going for. They didn’t show that I explained on camera that transgender women should be respected just as women, period."
Amidst the negative reaction from Carrera and her supporters, Valastero reached out to her personally. "He called my cell phone and he was like, 'Listen I’m sorry, it wasn’t meant to be malicious, it wasn’t meant to disrespect.' And I explained to him that it was disrespectful." She continued, "I told [the show] I’m only going to agree to do this if you guys edit it properly, if it plays out like it should.'" According to Carrera, Valastero responded, "They never told me anything, I feel so bad. Can I make you a cake?"
Rather than an accept a gift or an apology, Carrera told Valastero how the situation could be remedied.
"What I want you to do is call your editors at TLC and I want you to re-edit that episode the way it came out. I want them to play out the scene the way we had filmed it, the way I had signed up for. I want you to show the footage of us being united as straight, gay, lesbian, transgender, hanging out together and it's fine. That's the message: we can all just live as one, it doesn't have to be so split up! That's what I want you to do."
Carrera hopes that they will heed her advice. "I still do want to send out a message of equality and of acceptance," she said.

And as far as presenting a bad image to the public I'll just post this picture of her, with husband and step daughter and let it speak for itself.

ReineD
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Sally, the only problem I have with Carrera, is that her words don't seem to match the setting she placed herself in (the bar full of men who want to grope women), the type of clothing she was wearing (mini skirt empasizing her very sexy tooshie and plunging neckline), the makeup (extreme compared to what we all wear when we go out), and her body moves. When I saw that video, I thought, "This is marketing. This person is getting as much mileage as she can, with being a sex object", regardless of her gender. I think the same when I see Hollywood starlets. There's nothing wrong with what they do, it's what they do, but there is a difference between the way they look when they're in front of a camera compared to how they look when they do groceries.

Here's the video:

4DWTgAIvl4A

I also don't like the "That's a man, dude" comment. Although I don't like the premise of the show to begin with, if they're going to do this it would have been much better to say, "She's transgender or she's a woman now".

Still, Carrera did place herself in this situation and in my opinion she used poor judgement when she was willing to be involved with such a prank to begin with.

Julia_in_Pa
06-16-2012, 02:02 PM
After attempting to stomach seeing this video I was able to get through it without throwing up.
Sadly and like I have said before she has brought this upon herself and now by doing so she has thrown the TS community under the bus.
It took two consenting parties to bring this about and like what Reine has said she has shown poor judgement in agreeing to this to begin with but with her I'm not surprised.

Julia

Kathryn Martin
06-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I would like to ask the question all else being equal, whether if Carmen had not been TG anyone would have cared. In my view the real problem was: "she's a man" exclamation from the cake idiot.

Her presentation given how young she is, is *shrugs* club wear. I would not be caught dead in it but most 25 year olds like this kind of apparel.

I also fail to see the relevance of this for the TS community. It seems to me that the cake idiot just made himself look stupid.

Sally, the only problem I have with Carrera, is that her words don't seem to match the setting she placed herself in (the bar full of men who want to grope women), the type of clothing she was wearing (mini skirt empasizing her very sexy tooshie and plunging neckline), the makeup (extreme compared to what we all wear when we go out), and her body moves. When I saw that video, I thought, "This is marketing. This person is getting as much mileage as she can, with being a sex object", regardless of her gender. I think the same when I see Hollywood starlets. There's nothing wrong with what they do, it's what they do, but there is a difference between the way they look when they're in front of a camera compared to how they look when they do groceries.

Here's the video:

4DWTgAIvl4A

I also don't like the "That's a man, dude" comment. Although I don't like the premise of the show to begin with, if they're going to do this it would have been much better to say, "She's transgender or she's a woman now".

Still, Carrera did place herself in this situation and in my opinion she used poor judgement when she was willing to be involved with such a prank to begin with.