PDA

View Full Version : Finally talked with my boss!

Princess Jen
06-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Yay! I did it! :D

To cut a long story short, he is completely on board with me and was nothing but supportive.

Although by now (19ish months on HRT), my transition has become obvious to even the most casual observer...So one might question whether or not I actually told my boss anything...:tongueout

We had a friendly chat that ended up taking more than an hour as I wanted to explain some of my experiences that lead me to where I was now and I wanted to give him some general information about transition and where this would be taking me in the near future. Also why I had felt the need to wait before telling him anything.

He knows I'm Jennifer! He knows I plan on going full time before the end of this year. And that I'll be changing my name and more. All he said I need to do is tell him when I'm ready, and he'll help me coordinate it with the rest of my coworkers and HR. We also talked about how some of the proceedings might go and he said that I could always come talk to him if there were any bumps along the way or I ever had a problem with one of my coworkers over this.

I even shared a few of my funny experiences at work as they pertain to this. Like how once I had a very obvious limp from my second or third HRT shot (after like 14 months of being on pills before that). And if anyone ever asked, I just said I had to give myself a shot every two weeks and how AWFUL it was. I never expected anyone to ask me what it was for but one person did. And so, not wanting to lie outright, as I already knew I might be transitioning in the company of this very person, I told him it was just my medication and that I had a HORMONE IMBALANCE. :heehee:

So in short, it could not have gone any better! I am so relieved...I had my head in the clouds all day. :daydreaming:

Victoria P
06-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Jen,
I am so pleased for you being able to talk so openly about your transition. Your boss sounds like one in a million,though many people in HR and management are becoming learned in alternative lifestyles and I mean that with utmost respect sweety. I can only imagine what you have gone through already on an emotional level.

I had a friend on the 'Experience Project' site reveal her CD lifestyle to her boss and HR manager and like your story both were great,it was the other employees who needed counselling to deal with it believe it or not.

I wish I could do the same only I work sporadically in blue collar jobs that I truly hate,though I am a trained Social Worker(SSW) unable to obtain a job in my field due to saturation it seems.
I am pretty sure if I had an SSW job because we deal with problems and emotions that my boss may be understanding, but a boss in a warehouse is a different matter altogether ,I don't think I could summon the nerve.

However I am very concerned at the increase in my femininity and such feelings are becoming overwhelming.I have even started being more daring attending job interviews with mascara and eye shadow and lady perfume.

I wonder in your experience, have you ever heard of 'latent transexualism'?

Again hon I wish you the best and hope I haven't added to your burden,
Hugs and Peace,
Victoria P xo :)

Julia_in_Pa
06-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Jen,

This is a very large hurdle you have overcome.
Fantastic news!!!!

Your boss is an example of how all supervisory personnel should handle this.
I'm not only proud of you but also proud of him.

Be well and stay strong and above all keep moving forward. :)

Julia

Kristy_K
06-19-2012, 08:16 AM
I am very happy for you Jen.

It is nice to hear about good transitions at the work place. I hope everything keeps going smooth for you.

arbon
06-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Awesome! Support like that can make such a huge difference, :)

kimdl93
06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Congratulations, Jen. I'm so happy that your boss is supportive. You are entirely free to live your life now!

AllieSF
06-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Congratulations. I love the stories of successful (at least at the beginning) transitions at work. The real world just does not have any experience with that sort of thing, and the more people that can do it where they work, the easier it will get for those that follow in their footsteps. That is true progress, slow but progress just the same. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Princess Jen
06-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I still cannot believe how well it went! :yippee:

Jen,
I am so pleased for you being able to talk so openly about your transition. Your boss sounds like one in a million,though many people in HR and management are becoming learned in alternative lifestyles and I mean that with utmost respect sweety. I can only imagine what you have gone through already on an emotional level.

I had a friend on the 'Experience Project' site reveal her CD lifestyle to her boss and HR manager and like your story both were great,it was the other employees who needed counselling to deal with it believe it or not.

I wish I could do the same only I work sporadically in blue collar jobs that I truly hate,though I am a trained Social Worker(SSW) unable to obtain a job in my field due to saturation it seems.
I am pretty sure if I had an SSW job because we deal with problems and emotions that my boss may be understanding, but a boss in a warehouse is a different matter altogether ,I don't think I could summon the nerve.

However I am very concerned at the increase in my femininity and such feelings are becoming overwhelming.I have even started being more daring attending job interviews with mascara and eye shadow and lady perfume.

I wonder in your experience, have you ever heard of 'latent transsexualism'?

Again hon I wish you the best and hope I haven't added to your burden,
Hugs and Peace,
Victoria P xo :)

Thanks! And yes I have certainly heard of that. Why do you ask?

Sandra1746
06-25-2012, 05:58 AM
This sounds like a rare bit of good news. Hopefully your transition continues to be smooth and uneventful.

Good luck and best wishes,
Sandra1746

Pamela Kay
06-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Hey Jen, I'm so happy things went well with your boss!

I had a similar experience with my boss when I came out to him in April. He has worked with HR and the civil rights dept. and been very supportive. This has so helpful since others haven't been as fortunate and it definitely adds to the stress and strain.

I came out to my coworkers last Friday in a meeting at work. So far most everyone showed their support and I even got some hugs and tears. There are a couple of people I'm not sure about yet but at least they have been civil and haven't said anything about it. This was much harder for me than coming out to the boss, one of the hardest things I've done yet.

Don't let anyone steal your happiness and be yourself. Your real life is just beginning.