PDA

View Full Version : Is crossdressing a growing phenomenon?

Ria
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
I've had a love for ladies cloths since I was around 8 yrs old, particularly nylons. I realize that the growing population and the internet is allowing CDing to come out into the open more than ever.

Hosiery companies are making pantyhose for men! so clothing companies are pushing the limits. A new term has entered our lexicon, the metro sexual or metro.

I'm told that I'm a "metro male", I'm groomed, dress well, white collar job, fit, some may notice I shave my legs... my wife graciously accepts that I love to secretly dress as a women. I wonder how many other metros are closet cross dressers?

It seems the metro sexual male is advancing the cross dresser's agenda of social acceptance, wouldn't you agree?

To me the metro sexual male is simply an example of the human male adapting to his social and professional environment by grooming his physical appearance in order to be better equipped to deal with his social and professional acceptance within the urban landscape.

Therefore, I feel that there is a strong possibility that as the metro male becomes more abundant and the limits of grooming and clothing are further feminized there will be yet even more willingness and acceptance for men to explore their femininity... ergo more cross dressers.

The problem with the theory is that most of us would agree that cross dressing is a deep rooted compulsion with possible genetic roots.

Interesting that a women can dress as a man and ride a hog and it doesn't get a second look... that's normal

What you say girls,

RADER
06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Lets hope that society will "See the light" before the end of my time.
That would be a bucket list dream; Go out and wear a skirt and dress as a man.
O'Well I can dean can't I.
Rader

whowhatwhen
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Society gets more socially liberal and progressive with each generation, a good thing.
:)

Barbara Ella
06-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I have no idea if it is growing, but it is becoming so much easier for us, and especially new crossdressers not to feel the negativity quite as much, and that may help others realize that dressing in women's clothing is not a bad thing. Right now I need to be fully femme to go out, but would not mind if i could wear a dress and shoes as a man while out, for grins.....lol

Barbara

DonnaT
06-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Is crossdressing a growing phenomenon?

I doubt it, probably just more people open about it.

cindybabe
06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
HERES HOPING LOL

kimdl93
06-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I would submit that access to information, via the internet, coupled with increasing acceptance of alternate lifestyles, at least in the urban areas of the world, is allowing more individuals to shake free from their own reservations and apprehensions.

RebeccaLynne
06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I realize that the growing population and the internet is allowing CDing to come out into the open more than ever.

I believe the internet has brought to light a wealth of information regarding one's curiosity in almost every area... and the subject of gender expression is one of particular importance to those of us here.

For myself, I've realized that there are a lot of us who really enjoy wearing women's clothing, and that it's OK to express our femininity in our clothing choices; gender is not black or white, it's fluid. I can be masculine or feminine depending on my mood, and I love having the option.

Hosiery companies are making pantyhose for men! so clothing companies are pushing the limits. A new term has entered our lexicon, the metro sexual or metro.

Good for them. I'll stay with the women's version... otherwise I wouldn't be crossdressing. :battingeyelashes:

I wonder how many other metros are closet cross dressers?

Lots of 'em, I hope. You know, strength in numbers is a good thing.

It seems the metro sexual male is advancing the cross dresser's agenda of social acceptance, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I do. Pushing the envelope can only work in our favor. Helps break the constraints of a male-dominated society requiring conformity and compliance.

Stephanie47
06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't think there is any great surge in the cross dressing numbers. I think there is a lot less guilt, self loathing and all the self negative feelings about cross dressing. That does not infer an increase in numbers. I have not noticed any increase in femininity among males.

At best it may be spouses are more tolerant of cross dressing husbands, although, since there is no empirical data on the subject for years ago, that is just conjecture. There is more acceptance of lifestyles. However, I still do not see any cross dressers out and about in droves in middle American.

I am always aware that members of a group who hang out together gain an unfounded sense of general acceptance by others. I think there are many more people now who fall into the category of "If it does not directly affect me, it does not bother me!"

Foxglove
06-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Hosiery companies are making pantyhose for men!

I'm told that I'm a "metro male", I'm groomed, dress well, white collar job, fit, some may notice I shave my legs... my wife graciously accepts that I love to secretly dress as a women. I wonder how many other metros are closet cross dressers?

To me the metro sexual male is simply an example of the human male adapting to his social and professional environment by grooming his physical appearance in order to be better equipped to deal with his social and professional acceptance within the urban landscape.

Therefore, I feel that there is a strong possibility that as the metro male becomes more abundant and the limits of grooming and clothing are further feminized there will be yet even more willingness and acceptance for men to explore their femininity... ergo more cross dressers.

Interesting that a women can dress as a man and ride a hog and it doesn't get a second look... that's normal

Hi, Ria! I think there are ideas floating about in your post that aren't necessarily connected. E.g., if clothing companies are making pantyhose for men, the question is what sort of man is buying them. Is it only men who like to crossdress that are buying them? Or are men who don't normally crossdress also buying them? Because if the latter is the case, then a man wearing pantyhose won't necessarily be seen as CDing.

Now you say that women can dress like men, but I think the GG's on this forum will tell you that they're not dressing like men. They're dressing like women. It's just that what women commonly wear these days is very similar, in some cases, almost indistinguishable, from male clothing. And when women wear such clothes, we don't say that they're exploring their masculinity. We don't say that they're CDing. So even if male clothing begins to go in the direction of what might used to be considered feminine, it doesn't necessarily mean that a given guy is exploring his femininity or that he's CDing.

I found this definition of sorts of the "metrosexual man" in the Wikipedia article:

The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis — because that’s where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference.

It seems to me what the metrosexual man is on about is his appearance. He might be gay, might be straight, might be bi, might be CD. But he's basically a guy who's interested in his appearance. Colorful shirts don't make a guy a CDer. I could see how a CDer could be into the metrosexual look, because he's getting away from a traditional masculine look. But if it's men's clothing, it's still men's clothing, and as such has nothing to do with CDing.

Whether the metro look will make CDing more acceptable is hard to say. I myself am not interested in any sort of masculine appearance. I'll always be interested in as feminine an appearance as possible. Society will accept the metro look, because it's not CDing. But whether that will make someone like me with my tastes more acceptable remains to be seen. I'm not at all convinced that it will.

The difference is this: GG's will tell you they're not trying to present as men. Now if pantyhose becomes acceptable for men, then men will be able to wear them without anyone saying that they're trying to present as women. Whereas someone like me does like to present as a woman. Society will accept men who present as men, regardless of what is considered to be masculine clothing. That doesn't imply they'll accept a guy who likes to present as a woman. Let pantyhose become acceptable for men: it doesn't imply that bras, frilly knickers, lace slips, etc., will also become acceptable. It remains to be seen whether society will draw a line and where that line will be. I myself suspect there will always be a line.

Best wishes, Annabelle

sometimes_miss
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM

I doubt it, probably just more people open about it.

^ this. Thanks to forums like this one, it's easy to see the market for clothes (though Lane Bryant probably had that one figured out a long time ago!).

JohnH
06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Lets hope that society will "See the light" before the end of my time.
That would be a bucket list dream; Go out and wear a skirt and dress as a man.
O'Well I can dean can't I.
Rader

I go out and wear a denim skirt with otherwise male clothing quite frequently when I am not dressing en femme.

John

Shananigans
06-19-2012, 04:49 PM
A metrosexual to me is like Ryan Gosling in "Crazy, Stupid, Love." I can still see him without his shirt on in my mind...

I think fashion changes throughout the ages. Maybe male versions of pantyhose, skirts, and high heels will become the norm (again). I say "again" because it used to be the norm...before fashion changed.

Where the pickle really begins is when you ask a CD if he would wear the "male version" of female clothes. A fee threads have been about this, and the majority said they wouldn't wear the male version. Why? Probably because most people that CD aren't doing it about style...they're doing it because it is the clothing of the opposite sex.

There are now female versions of ties, slacks, business coats. It was a big thing a few years ago...the "androgynous" look. I think it's pretty main stream in fashion now...and, a little overdone in my opinion. (I'd die before I spent money on that crap). But, if I went out and bought a female version tie to wear with a black dress, I would be "fashionable." If I went out and raided the male clothing section, I'd be a CD. If you wore male designed pantyhose, you'd be "fashionable." If you went out and raided the women's clothing department, you'd be a CD.

When you see how truly arbitrary society is about certain things, you begin to lose a lot of faith in the system.

I think CDing is about intent. Would you be happy wearing the arbitrarily designated male clothing? Or, would you still need the female version? Is the point be "hip", or to look like a woman?

I think once you answered those questions, you could figure out where you are on the CD versus metrosexual line. My guess is that most people here want to wear women's clothes lol. It's also my guess that the number of CDs isn't increasing...but, fashion is changing. The intent behind your dressing really kind of defines CDing, IMO.

But, I also think that the rules of society are increasingly arbitrary, and that we will all drive each other crazy. I'm also rather cynical.

Wildaboutheels
06-19-2012, 05:10 PM
It would be extremely hard to come up with any reliable numbers as most crossdressers are not likley to admit it.

Undoubtedly, there are more and more out and about daily, but the general population is also increasing daily. Also because of the internet, more people CAN, IF they desire, seek more information PRIVATELY about this CDing "affliction" that we "silly CDers" suffer from and possibly decide that it is OK to "come out". And of course we have to throw the wildly popular You Tube into the mix. Also, [seemingly - at least here in Florida] everyone over the age of 8 is yakking on their cellphones or at least carrying it, ever ready to take pictures or videos at a moments notice of anyone different.

And of course wildly popular people with the younger generation like Lady Gaga [who I know very little about] who seems to have a message, from the little I have read about her to "just be yourself" whatever it is.

Unfortunately, there are still people even today who think Black people today should STILL be sitting in the back of the bus. And that it is simply not right for a Black person to be president.

Easy to imagine, the journey for those who choose to dress "differently" might be a similar one.

Sam-antha
06-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I dunno, but I never really thought that it had anything much to do with growing.
~S~

Eryn
06-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I don't think that it is growing so much as it is becoming more apparent. Whereas before we pretty much hid in our closets we now discuss it here, encourage each other when we venture out, and are represented more often in the media.

AngelaKelly<3
06-19-2012, 05:52 PM
I agree with Eryn. I think that there's just a lot more places for people to express themselves without being ridiculed by people who aren't willing to accept crossdressing, rather than becoming more accepted and growing :sad:

But at least there's a place for us to go now :D x

Rebecca W.
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't think that it is growing so much as it is becoming more apparent. Whereas before we pretty much hid in our closets we now discuss it here, encourage each other when we venture out, and are represented more often in the media.

I agree with Erin. Before I had found out about this forum, I never spoke to anyone about my desire to dress. Media can be a good source of information or it can create a very bad perception of who we truly are. I feel that as long as the truth is explained more often in detailed conversations, it will allow over time to let us be who we want to be without all of the negative views.

We all need to find ways to tell our stories to the public and by the number of views that I see on this forum, I believe that the word is getting out about how we manage our lives as a crossdresser.

Where I see it growing is the strenght that we get from conversing with each other on here and creating strong friendships. We are a strong group here as we have to deal with our daily lives and the inner woman and how we want her to express herself to the public.

Alice Torn
06-19-2012, 06:40 PM
My guess, is there are more men experimenting with cding, and in the closet. There is still a strong taboo against this, especially in small towns, and rural areas. It is terrifying, still for most cders to think of going out, or coming out. Culture looks on it as very shameful, for a man to "lower" his masculinity, by wearing lady stuff. If a female wears men's clothes, it is encouraged, as she is "raising" herself, to man level.

Eryn
06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
I think that there's just a lot more places for people to express themselves without being ridiculed by people who aren't willing to accept crossdressing

Quite true. A couple of weeks ago I was out with three other CDers and two GGs at a mainstream, but LGBT-friendly restaurant. We were dressed very nicely, but three of us are well over 6' tall so we stand out a bit. A young GG came up to our table and said to us how wonderful it was that we could get out and enjoy ourselves as we wished! We thanked her and told her that we were having a wonderful time.

After she left we debated the propriety of asking her if her husband would like to join us, but decided that that would be gilding the lily! :)

Sandy Michaels
06-19-2012, 07:59 PM
maybe it's that women's fashion has gotten more evolved. just compare the men's section to the women's section at a department store. those clothes must be worn by someone. also crossdressing is a great stress reliever. who here doesn't feel most relaxed when dressed? also the internet makes it possible that we can connect with each other safely. in the end it cool whichever way, because i like dressing and i only dress for myself. if other people want to join me good, if not who cares i'm still having a great time!

Ms Mira
06-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Each generation typically looks at the next one, or two generations younger, sees the short-shorts getting shorter and are like, "Society is going to HELL!"

Wait till you see what the internet does with this generation who was born with it. The anonymity of the internet really allows us to both follow our basest impulses. And find other people who have the same.

I don't think it's JUST going to be crossdressing that's going to be more accepted.

Shananigans
06-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Each generation typically looks at the next one, or two generations younger, sees the short-shorts getting shorter and are like, "Society is going to HELL!"

Lol I'm in this generation and I think society is going to Hell...we've probably already arrived, but our heads are too far in the sand. I'm just happy I have two able legs, food on the table, and a toilet to piss in... I didn't realize how little I actually thought about things until I was without Google for a week. I had to actually ask other people for answers... Lol what a humbling experience...relying and interacting with other people to accomplish something.

My fashion will be whatever the magazines tell me its supposed to be, and I'll judge myself on whatever is proposed to be the ideal of beauty at a given point. Oh, and I'll try to solve the problems in Africa with a Facebook status and a bumper sticker.

An anti-discrimination law has been proposed in Michigan after a gay man called to seek help for suicide. The woman he called poured her anti-gay beliefs on him. So, the anti-discrimination law has been proposed to protect her religious beliefs...to discriminate.

Head+Sand

You'd think that if CDing were becoming more prevalent that the economy would boom. Lol...it could be the answer to everything.

NathalieX66
06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
All comments are worthy.
We live in an age of internet and digital cameras.......those two things changed everything. Both those things confirmed a phenomenon of society.

whowhatwhen
06-19-2012, 10:43 PM
An anti-discrimination law has been proposed in Michigan after a gay man called to seek help for suicide. The woman he called poured her anti-gay beliefs on him.

Allright, that's it. Pack it in and burn it down, all hope is lost.
At least the straight, white men had a good run...

nvlady
06-19-2012, 11:30 PM
I know for a fact that CDing has increased, because fifty years ago I was the only one that did it and now look at all the CDs just on this forum.

Wildaboutheels
06-19-2012, 11:58 PM
If you simply add up many available #s, both on the internet and in magazines, there will be a HUGE increase in CDing in the coming years. However, they point to many more "closeted" CDers, just content to stay home. People "dressing" but NEVER leaving their house will do nothing to help the cause of most of the folks at this Forum who NEED to present as a female in the RW even if it it might only be one day a week or a few hours.

Eryn
06-20-2012, 12:09 AM
People "dressing" but NEVER leaving their house will do nothing to help the cause of most of the folks at this Forum

Sorry, but we can't all be political activists carrying signs in marches. Everybody helps in their own way, be it addressing Congress en femme or simply putting in an affirmative vote for a tolerance issue on the local ballot. To demand that everyone out themselves is itself a form of intolerance.

vijay
06-20-2012, 01:06 AM
yes it is gowing. fashion designers such as gean paul gaultier shows mens skirt in fashion week

Beverley Sims
06-20-2012, 03:32 AM
Just more open acceptance and the internet lets everyone know these days.

LaurenB
06-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Shan - you are so right on. While I'm a generation before you, I have a son who is a generation after you and I can say we all share your skepticism about our society (banksters, greed, intolerance, hunger, global warming, religiosity). But when I take a really long view of things, I see real signs of social progress. Long view = many decades - like 50 years or more. You might imagine that in the wild 70's things were way more open but they really weren't. Not in the mainstream. My son's my age now when I was in the middle of the 70's. He has gay friends and thinks nothing of it. And while the gay hating is still a part of his world (particularly in the sports culture), he openly rejects that and most importantly he can reject it without fear of repercussion. Now we live in the blue coast but tolerance os spreading. It just happens very slowly. The traditional mono-theist right is slowly dying and we are witnessing it's death throes. We won't live to see it totally gone nor will we live to see total acceptance of all people - but every year it advances forward (assuming we all don't off our own existence before then). To the original OP's question, yes I do think this long slow trend will draw more people into the middle areas of sexuality and gender. Again, don't expect it to happen next year but when your grandkids are grown, you will look back and see that it changed.