PDA

View Full Version : A long due update

jerca
06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Another thread (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?175760-Transition-Marriage-and-Children&p=2871875&highlight=#post2871875) bumped me from my read-only mode after a long while and reading replys there I guess it is indeed time to write an update - but i am not writer type and english is not the language i would regulary express in it, so it takes a while:o

I left my story before my first visit to therapist. On my first appointment I explained her my feelings, she explained the procedure, asked questions... We had several sessions in about a year, my wife has joined me on 2 or 3 of them. We were also talking about other (less radical) possibilites than full transition, but my wife explained the she can't imagine living in a relationship like that. From my point of view she is very pesimistic. On top of all that, this financial crisis broke out and my (small) business went down and I had to find a new job. We had one or two realy "cold" periods during that time, but we did both our best to mend our relationship.

So, at one point I had to decide what directin to take. Transition would lead to divorce, financial problems for both of us, children... I don't think I could calmly live my life knowing that this is bacause of my choice. My parents divorced while I was in early 20s and that sucked, but they had problems during all my teen years. That's something I can't say for our marriage, I'd say we go along better than average, we do our best with raising children, we talk about problems, we make plans... She just totaly does not understand my problems regarding my gender identity.

Decision not to do anything about my transition (or should I say not to explore my gender identity) was not easy either. By that time I was certain about my identity, I knew it will not "just fade away", as she hoped. But neither did change her rejection, as I had hoped.

And that's where we are now. I have days when I feel cheated (with no cheater at hand to blame) but I also have days when the world does not seem so grim.

The hope is the last one to die. :thumbsup:

LP, Jerca

outhiking
06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Welcome back. There's plenty of room in the boat that many of us are sharing. I don't think I'll ever consider a full transition, but hope to be able to dress more in the future. We'll see. Still, this is a great group and it is very supportive.

Julia_in_Pa
06-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Jerca,

People transition because they have to not because they want to.
If you are able to live with the duality then by all means do so.
It will save you from alot of loss.

Julia

Aprilrain
06-20-2012, 07:31 AM
I have to second what Julia said.
Yesterday someone asked me if I was happier now that I have transitioned. It's a common question. My most honest answer is no I'm not happier. I'm not sadder either and I had to do it. There was no question of "will this make me a happier person" the question was do I kill myself or do I transition.

abigailf
06-20-2012, 07:49 AM
I am going to jump on the Julia band wagon there. Transitioning is not a choice and if you think you have a choice than you are not ready to transition.

April, you said it so perfectly.

jerca
06-20-2012, 10:55 AM
People transition because they have to not because they want to.
If you are able to live with the duality then by all means do so.
It will save you from alot of loss.
Julia

That was my reasoning also at the the time. It has been posted here many times that "don't if you don't have to" and I decided I can go on without it. But I thought it will be easier, I didn't expect that I will think that often about this. I didn't expect this feeling of being cheated, and that empty state of mind which comes sometimes.

LP, Jerca

Aprilrain
06-20-2012, 04:06 PM
I thought it will be easier, I didn't expect that I will think that often about this. I didn't expect this feeling of being cheated, and that empty state of mind which comes sometimes.

I had similar feelings along with the thought "why do I want to be the one thing I can not"

kimdl93
06-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Your assets are time, patience and information. Keep the channels of communication open with your wife and over time she can learn to understand more about gender identity and perhaps grow more accepting. Does that mean full acceptance and full transition..maybe not, but at you may not feel cheated in your life or relationship.

jerca
06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Your assets are time, patience and information. Keep the channels of communication open with your wife and over time she can learn to understand more about gender identity and perhaps grow more accepting. Does that mean full acceptance and full transition..maybe not, but at you may not feel cheated in your life or relationship.
I hope for that to happen.

LP, Jerca