PDA

View Full Version : Good Purge this Weekend!!

lingerieLiz
06-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Went to see my mom this weekend where upon she informed me that I needed go through all my old stuff left in my room. For a short time in my early 20s I moved back to my parents home while preparing to move to the other coast. She knew about my CDing. While I was out she would go through my closet and tell me I had spent too much on that suit or dress. I didn’t have room to take all my clothes so I left things I didn’t need, want, or were out of style. I knew my mother had taken several suits and dresses and assumed that she had discarded the rest. My old bedroom had become her storeroom and she was in the process of cleaning it out. I was amazed that she had packed away most everything. In the boxes and closet were a collection of girls and young women’s clothes from the 50s and 60s. Among the things that I found were my old poodle skirts and petticoats which I had inherited from my sisters. There was also a prom dress with a hooped skirt. How times have changed.

After high school in the 60s. I quickly moved away. I was able to land a good paying job at a large clothing store. It gave me a chance to buy the clothes I wanted. The store carried upscale clothes. Many of the type you see on Mad Men. While I purchased several suits and dresses there, because I received a big discount. I also shopped at several women's stores that catered to girls my age and lingerie shops. I'm sure that most of the sales people knew the things were for me as they made recommendations.

It was fun going through all the clothes and remembering where and for what I had worn them. At that time I could easily pass and being a size 6 or 8 I don't think anyone caught that I wasn't a girl with my fine features. There were a couple old bullet bras, but most were skirts and dresses along with tops.

Really wasn't anything that I could wear so we gave them to a niece who is into the ARTS and loves the retro look. The poodle skirts and petticoats brought back the most unusual memories. Wore them getting ready for my first dates with a girl and a guy.

Miriam-J
06-22-2012, 04:35 AM
It sounds like an interesting trip down memory lane, Liz. Very cool that your Mom saved them all these years. I hope you thanked her with a nice hug.

Miriam

BobbieBrooks
06-22-2012, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!! Notice some of those items on ebay once and awhile. Oh to be young again. LOL

BobbieB

Cynthia Anne
06-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Up til' now I did not think the words good and purge could be used in the same sentence! I stand corected! The ole' memorys are great to hang on to though! Enjoy them! Hugs!

kimdl93
06-22-2012, 08:45 AM
It must have been heart warming to go back through all those things and remember both the people and the experiences connected to them.

Krististeph
06-22-2012, 08:54 AM
"...While I was out she (mom) would go through my closet and tell me I had spent too much on that suit or dress..."

Liz, you have got yourself one he11 of a mom there! And poodle skirts inherited from your sisters? Good gravy! :c9::c9::c9:

What, did you like save a busload of drowning orphans from shark infested waters in a previous life or what? :angel:

RADER
06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
WOW!!! Poodle skirts and petticoats, Those are collector items. If they still fit you,
That would be great. If Not, I bet you could sell them for a few bucks.
Rader

lingerieLiz
06-22-2012, 09:59 PM
WOW!!! Poodle skirts and petticoats, Those are collector items. If they still fit you,
That would be great. If Not, I bet you could sell them for a few bucks.
Rader

Actually, I was happy to give them away. I wanted them to go where they would be well utilized, and no they didn't fit. As for my mother, well I'll have to write another post, but she saves everything. I left home for several reasons.

lingerieLiz
06-22-2012, 10:20 PM
What, did you like save a busload of drowning orphans from shark infested waters in a previous life or what? :angel:

Quite the opposite. I've decided to tell more than I was ever going to so it might help some of the other members. Growing up was not easy, but I made the best of what was delt me. I also was lucky sometimes.

TeresaL
07-27-2012, 02:06 PM
This is one sweet thread Liz. You had the life that future TGers wish for. I was in high school in the late sixties, and scared out of my wits about getting caught. My mom knew, although we never discussed it. On occasion, she would find one of her bras under m bed.

BLUE ORCHID
07-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Liz, You sure have a great mother, It's a shame that nothing fits anymore.

Beverley Sims
07-28-2012, 06:01 AM
I have some bags of purges/memories. Some still fit but they must eventually go. Someday.:)