PDA

View Full Version : New movie to watch for.

kimmy p
11-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi ladies, while cruising for upcoming movie trailers (Harry Potter and King Kong) I came across this. http://transamerica-movie.com/. I thought that you might be interested.

Kimmy

Anima-87-388
11-15-2005, 01:22 AM
looks fun :)

HaleyPink2000
11-15-2005, 02:03 AM
I loved the video clip they had on the web site. So neet.

Haley:)

Vickie
11-15-2005, 02:30 AM
Hi Kimmy

Thanks for sharing the link to the new movie TransAmerica. It looks like a lot of fun and it has won some awards too! :thumbsup: :)

jo_ann
11-15-2005, 05:47 AM
WOW! that trailer nearly made me cry. it looks so serious, yet a little bit of a comedy... Yes, I'm so glad to keep seeing films like this.

Shannon
11-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Looks like it received a lot of awards! Its on my list. I wonder if it will get a wide release, or if it is going to be in the more indy and art-film type theaters.

kysmet
11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
What is really nice is to see the stars that are in the cast. I liked the trailer and will have to see the movie now. And thanks to whomever mentioned 'Beatiful Boxer'. I loved that movie too. It had two elements that I especially love in life. Kickboxing and crossdressing.

Ericka Jean

mand
11-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Hello Kimmy :) Thankyou for showing us that love ;)

Any film that shows the Transgendered as just ordinary people who happen to be born with the wrong physical gender can only help us against the predjudice we have to endure..................with what I saw from the trailer I'm hoping this is one of them :)

love mand xxx:)

Gale R
11-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Looks like a great movie Kimmy, i just hope it gets to the UK but i doubt it.:(
Hope i can find somewhere to download it even if thats not the correct thing to do.;)

Luv ya, Gale.

cosmolovesph
11-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Should be interesting, and I would go see if, hmm... what should i wear? ;)

TGMarla
11-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow! You mean someone has finally made a movie that treats this subject with the respect and dignity it deserves? It looks, from the trailer, that it also deals with a lot of the same issues many transitioning females encounter. I can't wait to see it, even if I have to watch it alone. I think it's great that someone had the guts to even make it. I, for one, will be watching!

Leilani68
11-15-2005, 11:10 AM
As usual, another great Sundance film.....
Hallmark & Sundance always treat subjects of this nature and others with
dignity, will be seeing it as well..........:)

paulaN
11-15-2005, 11:13 AM
It looks to be very well made. I can't wait to see it. I wonder if I can get the wife to watch if with me.

Kimberly
11-15-2005, 11:41 AM
A must see for me, I think. It will be interesting to see what they make of the relationship - specifically the ending! And I'm glad it's not just a "tranny" movie... They mentioned something about a modern day look on the American family. Seems good all round! xx

vicky V
11-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi Kimmy,

Thanks for tuning us in about this film. Even though the actress is terrific,I just think it is too bad they could not find a suitable man for the role.

love,

vicky v

Kim E
11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Yes, Kimmy, I can't wait to see it.

Important to note, is that it also stars Calpernia Adams, who is a post-op TS and a Hollywood actress. The Showtime movie "Soldier's Girl" was based on her life. She has also appeared on tv in Numb3rs, Deadwood, Dr 90210, CSI (100th episode), Gray's Anatomy and others. She has also appeared in films.

She has high standards and has done so much to further the cause of gender issues in public. Yes, I am a big fan of hers.

Hugs ~ Kim

sandra_lag
11-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Interesting, I have a question about... Why on drama films the transgendered role is almost always played by a GG ? I can only remember "the crying game" in wich the TG role is played by a man (superb, Jaye Davidson) and "different for girls" (I haven´t see it jet)...
in comedy those roles are always played by men... What do you think about?
Can you tell me movies in wich the TG role was played by a man?

PS: we have here in Spain the films of Pedro Almodovar, who almost always put a TG role in his movies. I recommend the last movie "La mala educación(The Bad education)" wich is the history of a TG MtF person in the 70s-80s.

thanks
Sandra

Bonnie D
11-15-2005, 01:34 PM
I'll keep an eye out for it but like Marla will have to watch it alone. My wife is openminded about these tg issues and is not homophobic but if I told her the truth about me her openmindedness would shut down. We've watched many controversial movies both in English and foreign and if there was enough publicity about the movie then she may want to see it. However, if it's only me suggesting to watch it then the questions will arise on why I want to watch it.

Another one from 2003, which I haven't seen yet but will add to my must-see list is "Normal". It's about a married man with two teen children who wants a sex change but doesn't want to break up the family.

Bonnie

kimmy p
11-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi Kimmy,

Thanks for tuning us in about this film. Even though the actress is terrific,I just think it is too bad they could not find a suitable man for the role.

love,

vicky v

I was thinking the exact same thing vicky.

Kimmy

Elinor
11-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the heads - up I'll look out for this in the cinema.

shea
11-15-2005, 06:13 PM
This would be great movie to go out with your SO's. Sounds like this is great film!

chattaboxx
11-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Just like Kimmy and Vickey

i agree that it is a pity that they could not find a suitable man for the role

Dawn
11-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Sandra, you haven't seen "Soldier's Girl" yet have you??
The TG role in that movie was played by Lee Pace a heterosexual guy.
May I also say he looked AMAZING!! Check the picture out below with him and Calpernia Addams. He's on the right, Calpernia's in the middle. Google him sometime and read all the comments he made on doing the role. He said he started to take on alot of female traits as the shooting went on.
If you girls haven't seen the movie yet...RENT IT!!

Great flick!

Dawn

Francine
11-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Yes, I've been waiting for that movie.
I heard it has Marcia Cross for "Desperate Houswives" as the leading role. And I also saw a discussion about why they chose a GG to play the role than a TG or TS.
The consensus, if I understood it right..was the a TG or TS would not want "disclosed" to their true gender. So it was easier to focus on having a GG play the role.
Any one heard differently? or know something else.
Looking forward to seeing it...
en femme maybe?
:)

gennee
11-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the tip, Kimmy. 'Transamerica' is coming to New York next month. There is a theater which I can go and see it. I look forward to watching it.

Gennee:rose:

Julie
11-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Interesting, I have a question about... Why on drama films the transgendered role is almost always played by a GG ?

PS: we have here in Spain the films of Pedro Almodovar, who almost always put a TG role in his movies. I recommend the last movie "La mala educación(The Bad education)" wich is the history of a TG MtF person in the 70s-80s.

thanks
Sandra

I'm guessing the reason so many TG movies cast a female is so the viewer isn't distracted by a man dressed as a woman. There's still a lot of intolerance out there.

"Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil" was based on a true story. There was a TS in the book, Lady Chablis, who told the author if the book was ever made into a movie she wanted to play the part. Well it was and she got to play herself. It's a great book and a great movie.

I've seen several Padro Almodovar movies including "Bad Education" and they all treat TGs well. I think my favorite is "All About My Mother."

Duncan Tucker, the director of "Transamerica", has a TG friend whom he based the movie on. He said "I culled so many great stories I could make nothing but transsexual movies for the rest of my life and not even scratch the surface."

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-16-2005, 02:41 AM
And I also saw a discussion about why they chose a GG to play the role than a TG or TS.
The consensus, if I understood it right..was the a TG or TS would not want "disclosed" to their true gender. So it was easier to focus on having a GG play the role.

There's also a fairly practical reason, 1) there's not too many TG/TS actress out there, 2) who are good enough to carry a leading role, and 3) meet all the other requirements of casting, i.e. chemistry with the other actors, repoire with the director, availability during shooting, etc.

And given that it was a post-op character, it's lot easier to find a GG actress who can look the part than a male actor. You just need to find an actress who's got "male" looking features. (Interesting the actress who played the dead TS in an episode of CSI, was up for another part as a TS when she landed the role.)

However, I also don't doubt Julie's point about it being more acceptable to have a woman playing these roles. Or at least less distracting. In the various movies that have had male actors -- from "Some Like It Hot" to "To Wong Foo" -- they usually look like guys in dresses. Which is fine for the movies mentioned, but I doubt even Sean Pean would be willing to get FFS for a role so it's harder to find male actors who make believable TSs (or at least the public's conception of what a TS should look like).

ericalynne
11-16-2005, 08:58 AM
soldier's girl was one of the best and saddest movies i have seen...Lee Pace was amazing...he was absolutely convincing as a woman...some of those intimate scenes in the movie just sent me into wonderland...i cried as i watched it...it was so tastefully done..as for calpernia addams...she is wonderful and has done so much to advance our cause...i agree with everyone as far as transgendered is concerned...lee pace could have played the role , in my opinion, just as effectively as any gg woman...lee pace is such a beautiful woman, which just goes to show you that a man can be totally in touch with his feminine side and convincingly be that wonderful woman that always dwells inside...love erica http://profiles.yahoo.com/missericalynne

TGMarla
11-16-2005, 09:21 AM
But had Lee Pace been offered and accepted the role in TransAmerica after already having portrayed Calpernia Adams in Soldier's Girl, he would run the very real risk of being stereotyped by the industry as "that actor who likes to play women". He's already done it once, which is one more than most actors ever do. Let's face it, it's not a role like those in To Wong Foo or Some Like It Hot. In those movies, the characters were either obvious drag queens or obvious men in drag. In the case of Some Like It Hot, it was done for strictly comic effect. In To Wong Foo, there is a scene where Patrick Swayze asks a woman how she knew he was actually a man. Oh, please. He did a good job of portraying a drag queen, but not a real woman. Same with Wesley Snipes. Not a convincing GG. But in Soldier's Girl, the character has to be a believable woman. The same goes for TransAmerica. Pace would ruin his career if he did another role where he was a transitioning female.

vicky V
11-16-2005, 12:27 PM
Hello girls,

The NYT review this morning of a new film "Breakfast on Pluto," is nothing short of - - over the top. Google the name of the film and you can locate the trailer. As opposed to "TransAmerica" the TG star of the film is a man. This film was directed by the same man who directed "The Crying Game."

love,

vicky v

coletteCA
11-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Those movies look fun! I wish I could star in one! Giggle ;)

Dayna
11-17-2005, 02:20 AM
I heard it has Marcia Cross for "Desperate Houswives" as the leading role.
:)

Close, Francine--but wrong Housewife. The lead actor is Felicity Huffmann, who plays 'Lynette' on DH... adding to the confusion is that her character in 'Transamerica' is named 'Bree'--the same as Marcia Cross' chacter on DH!

It should also be noted that the Executive Producer of the movie is William H Macy, an outstanding actor in his own right as well as Huffman's real-life husband.

For any Fresh Air / Terry Gross fans (she rocks!) here is a link to a wonderful interview she did with Huffman and Macy; you will need Real Player:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4653450

I don't want to get into what gender the lead should have been; I'm just glad to see a(nother) movie where the "T" is treated as a real person.

BTW, someone earlier mentioned the movie, "Just Like a Woman" which starred Adrian Pasdar--who also recently appeared on DH. He's a good looking guy in his own right, but as a CD is is quite pretty. This is one of my favorites, and definitely worth looking for. Good couple's movie that treats crossdressing with the respect we all yearn for.

VickySTG
11-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Wow! You mean someone has finally made a movie that treats this subject with the respect and dignity it deserves? It looks, from the trailer, that it also deals with a lot of the same issues many transitioning females encounter. I can't wait to see it, even if I have to watch it alone. I think it's great that someone had the guts to even make it. I, for one, will be watching!
Sorry HBO did withthe movie "Normal"

Francine
11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
OOPS.. I'm sorry.
It was Felicity Huffman.. (also from Desperate Housewives, not Marcia Cross)

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie though!

You think any theaters are planning a CD/TG/TS night??? where we would get a discount.. if dressed en femme????

I'm looking for an excuse to wear my new 'hip hugger, women's jeans, and my high heeled boots, with maybe my purple pullover top, necklace, a bit of perfume... and show off my new "breast enhancers".

Maybe some of us would have a hard time convincing them we were males.
(some of you 'gals' are "DOLLS!" ... oops..male in me speaking again)

Francine
12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
I understand, it released for premiers on Dec 2nd.
Has anyone seen the movie yet?

It's getting good reviews.

I can't wait to see it.

Mistress Frillee
12-06-2005, 12:22 AM
so is transamerica out yet?

lydia7
12-06-2005, 12:30 AM
The actress is Felicity Huffman, not Marcia Cross. I saw an advance screening of it this weekend. Very strong film, but sad too. I recommend it, and would not be surprised it is generated Oscar buzz...