PDA

View Full Version : Decided to see a counsellor.

Gemma Rhodes
11-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Girls,

Just to let you know that I have decided to see a counsellor. My femme feelings are getting stronger every day and now I am getting out and about I am really not sure where all this is going to lead me.

I can't keep bottling this up inside me all the time with only a couple of forums like this one to express myself truly. I really need to sit down with someone and talk this through face to face as to what I want out of the rest of my life.

In a way I suppose I am lucky that I have no wife and children to consider but I have many family and friends who are going to be hit for six if I decide to "come out" and I am scared as to what reaction I will get if I do. You have to realise that until very recently I lived in full-on bloke mode for 10 years and weighed over 21 stone (nearly 300lb) before I decided I needed to stop denying my true feelings and sort myself out.

I will let you know how I get on, but at the moment I am really worried where all this is going to lead.

Gemma xx

Wendy me
11-15-2005, 10:02 AM
smart thinking if you think you need to talk to a counsellor then your ready to .....just keep im mind that you only get out of it what you put in it ....i am shure you will do just fine.....

swiss_susan
11-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Talking about anything that is weighing on your mind is always good. It helps to know that someone else knows, and can act as a sounding board.

Best wishes,

susan

tifftg
11-15-2005, 01:34 PM
You are right honey, you don't know where it will lead, but clearly you need to start your journey and having a counsellor who you can trust and who can help you with the decisions you are making is extremely valuable. I am fortunate that I found someone who is very familiar with gender issues. We are finding though that there is much that I have to sort my way through that has nothing to do with my crossdressing. I find myself in a better place having spent time working on these issues. We will be there for you always, this is also something to add to your life.

You are so awesome girl, jump right in.

Hugs,

Tiffany

Crissy
11-15-2005, 03:19 PM
i finally went to c a psychologist yesterday. I was nervous but it was a load off my mind. i also have chronic anxiety so i hope talking will help. im now on a waiting list for therepy.

Good luck , i know how you feel.

Crissy

Sedona
11-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Good choice,

I saw a phych. about a year ago, and she said that my cross dressing should not have to be a big problem, but just be honest with my SO, and honest with myself, and it usually works.

knelson
11-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I hope that I am speaking for all of in saying that we are proud of you and wish you the best of luck in your counseling sessions. For me, it was one of the best things I have ever done. :thumbsup:

rebecca_abigail29
11-15-2005, 08:43 PM
I have an appointment to see a pyschologist (sp?). I told my general doctor that I wanted my hormones checked and she asked why. I told her that I felt that I had more-than-normal female thoughts. Throughout the conversation she tried to "dig" for the whole truth. I wasn't ready for the whole truth to come out. But, she suggested that I see the pyschologist with her as soon as possible. I think the appointment is on the 8th of December. I will try to let everyone know how it went. While I was getting blood drawn for an iron level check, she came in and told the lab tech that she needed to add one more test. The lab tech asked which one. Doc said testorone (sp?). That afternoon after my kids' parent-teacher conference, we got home and on the voicemail, there was a message from the doctor's nurse, saying to discontinue my iron pills, because all of the blood work came back normal. I have been meaning to call them back to verify if that included the hormones, but I have been too busy at work.

I know I am going to be very nervous the day of. We'll see.

Jodi Lynn
11-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Good luck Gemma, I hope that your therapist knows how to deal with you and doesn't tell you, you are mentally ill, as mine did. A big waste of my time.

Marlena Dahlstrom
11-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Good luck Gemma and Rebecca. It's always good to have someone to talk to who can help you sort things out, where ever that might lead.

Lauren_T
11-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Gemma, there's no substitute for one-on-one... but what Jodi Lynn says prompts me to suggest this: do your research and make sure you find a good one... Psychiatrists and psychologists are no different than members of any other profession - there are great ones and there're also incompetents. A bad therapist or councellor can be considerably worse than none at all! It's well worth the time and effort taken to ensure you have an empathetic and open-minded one.

Jamie1
11-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Gemma,

It sounds like your are at a serious crossroad and wise to seek out professional help in deciding what road and how far you want to go.

Good luck.

Jamie

Sharon
11-16-2005, 02:59 AM
Lauren makes a good point, Gemma. It sometimes takes a few trips to different therapists to find one that's right for you. And one that works for one patient will not necessarily be right for another. It all comes down to, not only how qualified they are, but how your personalities mesh.

Seeing a gender therapist has been a godsend for me and I shudder to think about how much more screwed up I would be without her.:)

Alina Wicks
11-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi Girls,

Just to let you know that I have decided to see a counsellor. My femme feelings are getting stronger every day and now I am getting out and about I am really not sure where all this is going to lead me.

I can't keep bottling this up inside me all the time with only a couple of forums like this one to express myself truly. I really need to sit down with someone and talk this through face to face as to what I want out of the rest of my life.

In a way I suppose I am lucky that I have no wife and children to consider but I have many family and friends who are going to be hit for six if I decide to "come out" and I am scared as to what reaction I will get if I do. You have to realise that until very recently I lived in full-on bloke mode for 10 years and weighed over 21 stone (nearly 300lb) before I decided I needed to stop denying my true feelings and sort myself out.

I will let you know how I get on, but at the moment I am really worried where all this is going to lead.

Gemma xx

Gemma
Good for you. I'm in a very similar position. Recently I visited my doctor who asked to look at my sore foot. I took off shoe and sock and he noticed that I had pink varnished toe nails. After dealing with my gout he asked about the varnish and a 10 minute appointment extended to 40 minutes. He asked many questions about my cross dressing and came to the conclusion that I could well be transsexual. The outcome was that he recommended that I visit a psychiatrist dealing in trans-gender matters. I have just received a appointment to see the psychiatrist on 2nd December. Hopefully all will go well and I'll start on hormone treatment very soon.

Alina June Wicks

Sarahgurl371
11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Gemma,
I think it can be a beneficial thing. For me, I have seen a phsycologist, with the wife for marraige counseling, and a phsyciatrist an my own for my own comfort of mind. Both were in a college town, so I felt that they would be kind of progressive. Both stated that there is nothing wrong with me, I am just me, a little different maybe, but NORMAL, just the same. In both cases, the simple act of just vocalizing out loud to a human being that I am a CD, was huge. I actually became more accepting of myself sitting there.

I don't know what would have happened had they not been open minded. I do believe some in the mental health field are very closed minded or have very religious beliefs that may affect thier opinions. I would suggest researching providers in your area, and pick one that you feel would be helpful not hurtful. Ones who deal with sexuality issues seem a good guess.