PDA

View Full Version : Questions about travel to D.C.

Michaella
06-28-2012, 11:49 PM
I plan on going to Washington DC one day this July, travel by Amtrak, and probably visit some Smithsonian buildings. I have thought about going fully en femme. Has anyone had experience with Amtrak or the Smithsonian? I'm concerned about the security on both maybe leading to incidents. I've been to museums dressed femme before, but not the Smithsonian, and I've travelled on commuter trains, but not on Amtrak. I gather they require photo ID these days, and I have the idea that any public building in D.C. requires some security check. Any advice?

Thank you.

Michaella

Danni Kay
06-29-2012, 05:34 AM
I've gone to almost all the DC musuems en femme. They don't check your ID, though they do search all bags (very quickly...ot takes about 2 seconds), and some musuems have metal detectors veryone passes through. The Air and Space Museum x-rays all bags (no kidding!). None of these has given me any issues.

Stephenie S
06-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Washington DC has a large CD/TG population. No one will find you a threat as long as you have a legal ID and don't carry anything illicit. Our great nation's capital is awe inspiring and well worth a visit. Don't worry and have fun.

S

Renee W
06-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Just try to stay south of like "K" or "I" street and west of the Capitol Building. When I'm working in DC, I just don't feel comfortable wandering outside that area, even though I am still in full guy mode because I only CD at home. Taking the Amtrack will dump you at Union Station, so you'll have to take the Metro to get to the Mall area and the museums. You'll need Red Line towards Shady Grove and get off at either Gallery Place or Metro Center and then walk to the Mall. You could hoof it from Union Station, but wouldn't recommend it.

Sheren Kelly
06-29-2012, 08:25 AM
As a former DC resident, I agree with the above. Smitsonians should be a non-issue, just make sure you have removed all metal going through the detectors (and if you are wearing a corset with metal stays, be prepared to explain so).

DC is generally TG friendly, but we do have a large tourist population and some may not have the sophistication to "live and Let Live". Girly Amanda had a bad experience some time ago as a young girl seemed to call her out while she was waiting for the Metro.

Also DC in July is HOT and HUMID, so dress comfortably and have a plan to cool off.

Michaella
06-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Thank you for the advice, all.

Michaella

StaceyJane
06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I've ridden en femme on Amtrak several times. Yes, you do have to show a photo ID but I've never had a problem.

Claire Cook
06-30-2012, 06:28 AM
I've gone to almost all the DC musuems en femme. They don't check your ID, though they do search all bags (very quickly...ot takes about 2 seconds), and some musuems have metal detectors veryone passes through. The Air and Space Museum x-rays all bags (no kidding!). None of these has given me any issues.

My experience too. They check purses and backpacks, not a hassle. I've never had a problem going there dressed on the Metro. As Stephenie said, the DC area is pretty enlightened and the Smithsonian musuems (and the art galleries on the Mall) are really special places -- enjoy these national treasures, they won't care what you are wearing! CapHill Kelly is right about the DC heat in the summer -- it can make wigs and breast forms a drag, so to speak. And, yes, tourists might not be as enlightened as locals, but I never let that bother me.

DonnaT
06-30-2012, 06:42 AM
DC has non-discrimination laws, for everyone.

MsJanessa
06-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Wouldn't worry too much if you stay in the capitol hill area and around the national mall---union station is a very busy place with all kinds of people there every day---you could walk through in a tutu and nobody would blink---my only warning would be sometimes the tourists can get a little weird but they are usually too busy gawking at the sights to give you a second thought---just dress appropriately and you shouldn't have any problems---the capitol police are very friendly, polite and helpful, so long as you don't appear to be a terrorist threat lol