PDA

View Full Version : Mens breasts & Cancer

Kierci
11-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Has anyone who grew their own breasts had or heard of anyone that has had a problem with breast cancer? In my research to grow my own breasts I have noticed that men with breasts become susceptible to breast cancer. I am wonder if that is related to the size of the breasts or the fatty tissue added to the chest area. Maybe I am way off base here I dont know I am still researching. I just thought I would ask.+?

crossing_over
11-15-2005, 03:14 PM
something like 1 out of every 7 men will experience breast cancer of some form in life anyways ...... i think that's right :/ been awhile since i watched TLC

kristine239
11-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Men have breast cancer just like women do. I was at a 50th High School reunion last year and a good friend and class mate had a masecutemy (sic). He is not a CD and never would have thought about hormones or anything that we like. So it can happen to anyone!

Jodi Lynn
11-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I have a freind (not a CD or anything, stright guy)that is around 40, he had breast cancer aout ten years ago. So it does happen.

Helana
11-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Jenny

As has been mentioned already, any man can get breast cancer but the incidence among men is much lower than among women. If you take hormones you will raise your risk level but not to the levels of GGs as your glandular development is less and your exposure to estrogen is obviously much shorter. So you will end up inbetween.

BTW if you are taking hormones then your risk of testicular and prostate cancers fall. Since these cancers claim more male lives than breast cancer claims women's, your overall risk to cancer is lower, and your risk of heart attacks lessens too.

Basically you are trading risks. Just eat healthly, take regular exercise and stop worrying about things that are outwith your control!:)

DawnRodgers
11-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Sounds like an excellent reason to consider taking hormones. As if some of us needed a reason.
Dawn

RachelDenise
11-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Also, if breast cancer runs in your family, then your risk is increased.

Marla
11-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Where do you get hormones to grow breasts?

kristine239
11-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Marla, the answer is at your doctors! But be carefule, a lot of other things happen both physicallaly and mentally to you. take the advice of someone who benn on hormones for 7 years.

Kristine

Kierci
11-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmm Now I have got to reconsider the whole situation Hmmmm THanx ladies~!!!!!!!!!!!

Lissa Stevens
12-01-2005, 08:14 PM
We are friends with a woman who had breast cancer and so did her hubby. He was in remission then after a couple of years it came back and took his life. Men can and do get breast cancer you just don't think of it as a man's disease.

Kierci
12-06-2005, 02:19 AM
I wonder if anyone has done any formal report on the frequencie of male breast cancer??

Christina Nicole
12-06-2005, 11:17 AM
What Helana posted is consistent with my research. Men can benefit from HRT. Maybe it should be mandatory :eek: in everyone's health plan?

Regarding breast cancer statistics (http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/statistics.asp) in men and women:

Breast Cancer Cases/Deaths Per Year (U.S. and World)

Breast cancer (http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/breast_cancer.asp) is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women today (after lung cancer) and is the most common cancer among women, excluding nonmelanoma skin cancers. According to the World Health Organization, more than 1.2 million people will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year worldwide. The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2005, approximately 211,240 women in the United States will be diagnosed invasive breast cancer (Stages I-IV). The chance of developing invasive breast cancer during a woman's lifetime is approximately 1 in 7 (13.4%). Another 58,490 women will be diagnosed with in situ breast cancer, a very early form of the disease. Though much less common, breast cancer also occurs in men (http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/bcmen.asp). An estimated 1,690 cases will be diagnosed in men in 2005.

Note that since men normally do not do self-diagnosis for breast cancer nor do they have mamographies, the incidence rate for diagnosis is probably understated.

Warmest regards,
Christina Nicole

ebony
12-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Men have breast cancer just like women do. I was at a 50th High School reunion last year and a good friend and class mate had a masecutemy (sic). He is not a CD and never would have thought about hormones or anything that we like. So it can happen to anyone!

you never Know that was many years in between to try a few hormones

Lauren Mitchell
12-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I wonder if anyone has done any formal report on the frequencie of male breast cancer??

Check out the American Cancer Societies webpage. You would be surprised.

Like what everone else as said, men can get breast cancer. It is not as common as in women, but it does happen and is hardly talked about. After all, men do have mammary glands like women, but no where as developed. They are for the most part, useless in men. I guess a throw back to prehistoric times like when the appendex was used.

Kierci
12-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I guess I knew men could I was really inquiring to the frequency of it. Thanks ladies for the great posts. They dont have to stop here keep them coming.

Helana
12-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Check out the American Cancer Societies webpage. You would be surprised.

Like what everone else as said, men can get breast cancer. It is not as common as in women, but it does happen and is hardly talked about. After all, men do have mammary glands like women, but no where as developed. They are for the most part, useless in men. I guess a throw back to prehistoric times like when the appendex was used.

Hi Lauren

The reason men have nipples is because all of us start off as prototype females and only begin to become masculinized about halfway through the pregnancy by which time the nipples have already formed.;)

Rachel Ann
12-09-2005, 02:19 AM
I knew a fellow who contracted breast cancer. This was in the early 70s when there was no protection against harassment in the workplace. He was more afraid of people finding out about it than he was of the disease itself.

Sure enough, when he filed his insurance claim after seeing the doctor, the boss (it was a small office, about a dozen people) made great sport of the matter at his expense. But at that point he couldn't quit - he needed the income and the insurance to get through the thing.

To the best of my knowledge, he recovered.

Kierci
12-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Thats messed up, shows how much people know (or dont for that matter)