PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advise on fighting the ageing process

Rebeccarabbit
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi All,
Anyone got any tips on fighting off the years ??. I'm currently dieting and have lost 5 stone, I am looking to loose 3 stone for xmas and would like some tips on daily routine
Becky x x

PS. We are all in trouble now as I realise I can get the forum on my phone :)

Karren H
06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Stay out of the sun........

kimdl93
06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
one thing to look at is hormone levels. I found I was way low on thyroid hormone and testosteron. It affects everything. The thyroid supplements seem to help me burn calories and solved some aches and pains as well. Testosterone hasn't made me any less interested in expressing my feminine side, but has boosted my energy a bit.

Rebeccarabbit
06-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Omg kim,
I have graves disease an over active thyroid gland have had this since the age of 16 !!!! Omfg.........what to do now ? Could explain a lot
Becky x x

Rebeccarabbit
06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi Karen,
I live in the UK no fear of too much sun here.........love your profile piccy x

meri
06-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Give up meat and dairy.

-Meri

Sam-antha
06-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi Karen,
I live in the UK no fear of too much sun here.........love your profile piccy x

You should try Scotland, we do without the rain as well.
~S~

sissystephanie
06-29-2012, 03:08 PM
I am currently 80 years old, and most of my friends think I am either in my late 50's or maybe early 60's! If you take care of your body and your skin you may never look old. My dear late wife taught me that before cancer took her!

Samantha, my friend in Aberdeen, Scotland says it is pouring rain there! I was just talking to her on the phone!

Rebeccarabbit
06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Stephanie,
Sorry to hear about your late wife........seems that there is no escaping the horrible "C" word it affects everyone and is indescriminate......(((( Hugs)))))

sterling12
06-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Plastic Surgery! Get Facelifts, and Tummytucks, Botox and Lipo early and often! Then.....when you have done it three or four times, your face looks like Joan Rivers, freezes into a mask with the inability to make facial expressions.

Aging gracefully has gone out of favor, but it is an alternative to things that can turn out worse.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Rebeccarabbit
06-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi Sam,
Scotland is a place on my to do list !!!! Will do anything to escape the rain

Kate Simmons
06-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Ignore it is my advice. I refuse to play by the rules of this "program".:)

My Lady Marsea
06-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Find like that one page in the big Golden book of life that has the page concerning "aging" and at the bottom so totally check the box that says "OPT OUT". So far I've spent years & years or wutever and can't find it anywhere in my book. Guess I'll need to start trampling the Earth looking for like the Fountain of Youth. Wasn't that like supposed to be in Florida or wutever? .

RADER
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Stop counting Birthdays, That is what makes you older. So throw out that calender now.
Rader

Kate Simmons
06-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Seriously though age is relative and linear time is really an illusion to help us learn about feelings and emotions. Like anything else the organism of the physical body requires proper maintenance. The best thing to do is learn what makes it "tick" and proceed from there. Mainstream medicine and biology will not readily supply the answer and in the end you have to find what works best for you.:)

NathalieX66
06-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Eat less meat, reduce steak & pork, but by all means, don't give it up completely....just eat much less of it. Too much toxins in meat. Eat fish, particularly salmon because salmon contains the kind of oil that is good for the heart. Make fruits & vegetables no less than 65-70% of your diet. The more the better. Things like blueberries black raspberries contain antioxidants, which fight disease. Tomatoes & tomato sauce will help reduce cancer. Drink red wine becauser of the antioxidants and resveratrol, both are anti-aging. Stay away from soda because of all the corn syrup (fructose) and drink straight water. Invest in a Brita water filtering pitcher, which is tenfold cheaper than bottled water in the long run, and drink it ice cold from your refrigerator.
Excersise: at the very least, walk a mile or so every other day....it's the easiest thing in the world to do, but it works! I run regularly 3-4 times a week. Make it all a lifestyle.

Rebeccarabbit
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks all just feeling the tired and old feeling ..........think I need a serious revamp, can feel a shopping spree coming on and new image could be extensivep

Rebeccarabbit
06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Yes I have a good Diet currently loving Slimming World at the moment x x Will be throwing away my calenders, and taking the natural route

mikiSJ
06-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I like the jingle in a commercial: "When I grow up, I want to be an old Lady!"

Be happy you have to worry about it. Think of the alternative.

Confetti
06-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I find that staying out of the sun eating properly and of course do not drink alcohol treat it like salt. In fact the worst thing I think is fast food,alcohol, cigarettes and the sun. My sister looks 15 and she is 39! a little fat on the face is great and don't fret over the the big things so your face will not be marred by worried. plus acne soap with with tea tree oil if your skin is prone to spots. Wash face at night and never sleep in make up I have some under eye make up staining that make me look sleepless.

BobbieBrooks
06-30-2012, 06:49 AM
Just how heavy of stones are we talking about anyway???LOL I need to lose a boulder!!

BobbieB

Rebeccarabbit
06-30-2012, 06:55 AM
Hi Bobbie I have lost a total 70lbs within a year on Slimming World, I only have a boulder to loose before target weight ;), planning to loose 30lb for xmas as both myself and Ruth would like little black numbers :O

DonnaT
06-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Congratulations on the weight loss. I've heard good things about Slimming World.

Be careful when you stop, the body will try to regain the weight.

I lost 77 lbs from diet and exercise, went on vacation/daughter's wedding, and afterwards the weight started back up. I've no thyroid and hormones just weren't helping keep it off. My endo tried adjusting the hormones, but nothing worked. Gained back almost 40 pounds over the next couple of years. I've again lost around a stone (14 lbs), but it's not coming off very easy.

As for aging, not much you can do about genetics. Look after your skin, moisturize, and keep physically fit. The old saying is true, you're only as old as you feel.

Makeup hides a number of flaws as well.

Cheryl T
06-30-2012, 07:40 AM
There's only one thing that really stops the aging process.....

I don't think I prefer that option....lol.

Cynthia Anne
06-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Best advice I ever received! Live and enjoy today like it's your last! Tomorows not here yet! When it gets here, it will take care of itself!In otherwords STOP worrying! For it just make you older! Hugs!

Wildaboutheels
06-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Study after study after study has shown that aerobic exercise, preferably daily, is THE key to a longer better life. I concur completely. A "good" diet can help immeasurably as well as getting enough sleep, staying out of the sun, and not strressing over things you have no control over. Alcohol, tobacco and drugs are also NO NOs, but like anything, in moderation aren't likely to send one to an early grave.

I should add that aerobic exercise is not only a great stress reliever, it is also great for helping contol weight. Studies have shown that people in good aerobic condition get sick far less often than others. I don't take ANY meds whatsoever, and have not been sick at all in 10 years. No colds, no flu, no nuthin. I also normally can fall asleep in less than 5 minutes.

Aerobic exercise is almost like magic and is currently the closest thing out there to a Fountain of Youth. It's also great for elevating MOOD.

Sophie_C
06-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Botox, Sunblock, Never Use Tanning Beds, No Alcohol, Tons of Cardio and Advodart/Dutasteride if you've not done anything else to suppress excess testosterone.

And, there is pill coming out to stop grey hair, but it won't be out until 2015 and you must take it for 10 years before it starts.

rufus rabbit
06-30-2012, 02:02 PM
marry someone younger than you :D

Rebeccarabbit
06-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes I tried that one Miss Ruth, may Rebecca have her aging and tired nails done please. Perhaps also the wax strips ?.........this time without the sharpness of the "tug" xxx

rufus rabbit
06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
you have to tug !!!!! :D yes you can, I agree with the others, diet, exercise, but mainly enjoy life and forget age. xx

busker
06-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I find that staying out of the sun eating properly and of course do not drink alcohol treat it like salt. In fact the worst thing I think is fast food,alcohol, cigarettes and the sun. My sister looks 15 and she is 39! a little fat on the face is great and don't fret over the the big things so your face will not be marred by worried. plus acne soap with with tea tree oil if your skin is prone to spots. Wash face at night and never sleep in make up I have some under eye make up staining that make me look sleepless.
Actually, there are some new studies out indicating that TOO LITTLE salt can cause the kidneys to produce rennin which can cause heart problems. saw a write-up recently in the NYTIMES, you can search if you are interested in following up.

Cheryl T
07-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Remember
"Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday"

Enjoy life, it's much too short.

paulinescotlandcd
07-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Sam,
Scotland is a place on my to do list !!!! Will do anything to escape the rain

Trust me the last thing you will escape from if you ever get to Scotland is rain...lol

Clueless
07-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Avoid the sun or wear sunscreen with at least 18% zinc or titanium oxide. Reapply at least every 1-1.5 hours if sweating a lot. Skin damaging UVA & UVB rays pass thru clouds. The sun's rays are most intense from 10:00 to 15:00.

Drink lots of water & tea. Avoid unhealthy bad foods like: meat, dairy, simple carbs, cholesterol, transfats, sugar, alcohol, high salt & fat processed foods, etc. Eat healthy natural whole foods like: fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes, whole grains. Exercise regularly. Use supplements like super B complex, Biotin, MSM, Chondroitin, Glucosamine.

Don't use harsh stuff on your face like soap. Avoid using irritating products on your skin. Don't smoke. Avoid free radicals. Try an anti-aging skin care regimen like: peels, Retin-A, demarolling, ultrasonic, use effective actives, etc to reduce lines, wrinkles, permatan & stimulate collagen growth.