PDA

View Full Version : tonight at work

Princess29
06-30-2012, 07:29 AM
I happen to work at an international airport in australia operating things like metal detectors, x-rays etc and tonight, I was trying to prepare some passengers to get their liquids, aerosols and gels out of their bag.
There was a mum, dad and two kids (boy and girl) and in going through my speech, the mum happened to say (about her son) that he'd better not have any makeup in his bag (I didnt even remotely suggest it-the kid was about 10) but when I did say "there are worse things that someone can have in their bag", the response I got back was rather emphatically that in her eyes, there really wasnt anything that could be worse for her son to have in his bag.

Jocelyn Quivers
06-30-2012, 07:49 AM
I'll try and take a positive outlook in that the mother could have previously told him. "We're going on vacation, which means no dress up time, leave the girl stuff at home." Or maybe she told him not to bring the make up on his carry on luggage.

stacycoral
06-30-2012, 07:53 AM
They just start younger and younger. thanks for sharing, i bet you want to say more but couldn't.hugs

Chari
06-30-2012, 09:33 AM
At least the mum was (somewhat) accepting of his hobby by not keeping him home with another family relative! Or perhaps he is an up & coming "rock star" hoping for an audition. LOL

JenniferR771
06-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Sad. Strong disapproval of anything remotely feminine for her son. Homophobic. Very non-approval.

Is it any wonder, if that boy discovered he liked girls clothes later on...that he would hide it. And with good reason. Shamed in advance. Stone the sinner. Too common. Too bad.

Societal disapproval. The basis for young men hiding their true selves. The source of shame.

Cynthia Anne
06-30-2012, 10:40 AM
I agree with Jennifer! Sounds as if mother may be ashamed of her own son! Very sad! Hugs!

Lorileah
06-30-2012, 12:11 PM
" nope no make up in there, here ya go kid take some of mine"

I think Gene Simmons mom was the same way

Stephanie47
06-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I guess it wasn't a line of GI Joe camouflage makeup! I saw a spoof ad for such a line by Maybelline; bold black, browns and greens. Looked really cute on GI Jane.

sterling12
06-30-2012, 01:13 PM
A lot of people travel as families with a destination of seeing the rest of the family. So, if The Boy is sneaking makeup in his bag, it means he will be using that makeup IN FRONT OF The Rest of The Family. In Mom's Eyes, ya' can't get much worse than that! She might just be foreseeing an episode of explanation and confrontation with Her People. I think most Moms really hate that sort of thing! That's not an excuse for her non-accepting behavior, but I imagine My Mom, and a lot of others would have done the same.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Sophia Claire
06-30-2012, 01:19 PM
ever seen fight club? I don't think I would have been able to help myself.

"Every once in a while..." leans in and whispers, "it's a dildo."
Return to normal voice
"Of course, it's company policy not to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We always say 'a dildo'," here you make intense eye contact, "and not 'your dildo'."

I'm a bad girl, though, and I don't particularly like people. So maybe my suggestion is not the best. Would've been good for a laugh, though.

Princess29
06-30-2012, 09:48 PM
he didnt have makeup, wasnt wearing anything feminine or doing or saying anything to suggest that he might be in any way transgendered. I do sometimes ask guys if they have their makeup in their checked baggage, as a joke and its always received as such but I did not suggest anything to this family

Melissa

Barbara Ella
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Always good to be professional, especially in your position, Melissa. So hard to know what the familial situation is and what was up with them, and who got yelled at about what right before they left for the trip.

Barbara

Noemi
06-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi Princess,

That's because parents suck!

My Dad hates gays(he is a DR too) and anyone who is different. My Mother called me a pervert.
And I am not a pervert, I am gay though, and I am not out to my Dad, but I already know he hates me....

Sorry gets me flustered just hearing this. But I am grateful that it is being discussed. This place here on the web is a wonder!

Nomei

Jilmac
07-01-2012, 01:05 PM
It could have been stage makeup for all we know.

Beverley Sims
07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Australians are always making off hand comments like that and sometimes the other person does not recognise it.
Especially in Continental United States.
Look at your comment as foot in mouth disease and the reply could have been all sorts of guilt.:)