PDA

View Full Version : started laser yesterday

sandra-leigh
06-30-2012, 08:58 AM
My facial hair has been growing in much faster and thicker since my T levels hit bottom. And a lot of it is growing in gray :eek:. I could see the trend clearly: if I kept delaying, so much of it would be gray that I would have to do electrolysis instead, at much higher cost and pain.

So yesterday I started facial laser.

The place I went to is owned by a dermatologist, who also does a number of other types of laser-based treatments. It turned out to be quite friendly, a place I would recommend. And I ended up with a discount (I got confused about the pricing structure, they got confused about the pricing structure, and by the time we got unconfused, the owner had told the assistant to work out a discount for me.)

They indicated that I was a perfect candidate for facial hair removal: that is, my complexion is light enough for the laser treatment to work well. The dermatologist did say, though, that they have mixed results for facial hair removal in men but good results in women, so results for me was uncertain but probably would be good because I'm on HRT. And of course the gray hairs would probably be missed by the treatment.

The laser removal itself was not nearly as bad as I had expected. I had no problem managing the pain as long as they didn't work too long right along the jaw line. My eyes didn't even water, and I certainly did not need any kind of numbing. For me, the pain accumulated as a number of hairs were hit in a short time close proximity to each other, and with even a very brief rest or move a little further away, the nerves calmed quite quickly.

This particular place wanted clean-shaved, which was slightly different from the information I'd been given at a different place (which wanted fairly short but still a little there.) Using the cheap disposable razor they provided was probably the most brutal part on my skin :heehee:. Still, it was probably good that I went with a bit of hair, so that they could assess the gray level properly.

The pricing was acceptable to me; I pre-paid for the series of treatments. I could see, though, that the price would be a problem for a number of people.

Stephanie-L
06-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Sandra, your experience matches mine pretty closely. I suspect most laser places are going to be open and possibly used to us, especially if you have a younger tech. I have made friends with my tech and look forward to seeing her (working on chest and back now, electro on face). I got about a 50% reduction in facial hair from laser, of course everything that is left is white. I wish I had started decades earlier, I would have had better results. I find each visit, even if a bit painful, a very positive experience because it is another step in the right direction. BTW, so far, electrolysis is not nearly as painful as laser, but that upper lip area is still sensitive.........Stephanie

Eryn
06-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the once-a-month zapping club!

Since laser is a cosmetic procedure the pricing structure almost always includes discounts. Everyone wants to think they are getting a special deal!

Pain, unfortunately, is proportional to results. Since your clinic is run by a doctor they should have numbing cream available for you. This won't reduce the discomfort, but will allow them to use higher settings for better results. If you aren't using it, ask about it. My clinic supposedly charges $10 for it, but happily put it into the "deal" when I paid for a series of treatments.

If you're like me, you will be somewhat disappointed by the number of gray hairs that remain, but to me getting rid of the dark hairs was well worth the expense. I'm doing electrolysis now, but the laser reduced my makeup requirements dramatically.

Melissa Jill
06-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Before today I had had 2 sessions of laser hair removal at the Sk:n clinic in Bristol and have had excellent results. My beard is now very patchy and yesterday I just had my 3rd session (of 8). Whilst there I also bought 8 sessions of full body laser treatments. God bless 0% interest 12 month repayment plans.

Kirsty_D
06-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Whilst there I also bought 8 sessions of full body laser treatments.

Wow, your a glutton for punishment! :)

I've had 3 sessions of laser (3 of 6) on my beard and it had thinned out very well, lots of small patches with no hair but when the laser is done I'll start on electrolysis on the remaining hairs.

sandra-leigh
07-01-2012, 01:23 AM
If you're like me, you will be somewhat disappointed by the number of gray hairs that remain

At this point it'll probably be okay with me, seeing as my wife doesn't want the facial hair gone. My estimate is that I'll be reducing back to my pre-HRT levels (that is, HRT triggered facial hair growth for me.)

Having it all gone would be nice, as I've been finding shaving it to be more and more a nuisance. Like, "Dang, my electric razor lost its charge again, I should just get rid of the hair so I wouldn't have this problem!"

Melissa Jill
07-01-2012, 03:57 AM
Wow, your a glutton for punishment! :)

On my face I can barely feel the laser do its thing and its been moved up a power setting twice, apart from on my chin where I can slightly feel it. The test patches on my arms, legs, torso and chest were as painless as my face.

Kirsty_D
07-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Wow! My first two sessions were not too bad but the third session last week was unbearable. Next time I'll have to take something to control the pain or numb the face first. The HRT has made my skin much more sensitive.

Krististeph
07-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Welcome to the once-a-month zapping club!

Pain, unfortunately, is proportional to results.

Hi Eryn, Not sure if this is appropriate to this discussion- but- in regards to the pain...

I'm not a medical professional, and this is not in relation to laser hair removal- but my dentist is big pain reduction, and talking with him, he told me at a recent pain conference he was at, there were several studies showing that 800mg of ibuprofen had the same pain relief level of a standard dose of hydrocodone, but of course without the opiate 'high'. I usually take 400 or 600 mg before going for a dental visit- makes it MUCH more comfortable- still hurts, but not nearly as acute. I'm pretty sensitive to pain, rather a princess, although I'm not above working through it if exercising or working..

Food slows the uptake of the ibuprofen, so take it 1-2 hours before the time when you are going to be starting the dental work (or laser?), and do so before eating.

FWIW- my wife is a nurse, she agrees and says the docs she had mentioned this too are in agreement- but with a caution of possible stomach bleeding problems as is stated on every OTC ibuprofen bottle.

Lasers _are_ wonderful- not just for hair removal. We would test laser cautery and cutting units when I worked in the hospital- very wide range of power settings, beam width height and % coverage of area settings- even modulation (low power 100% of the time, or for instance 4 times the power, but with only a 25% duty cycle). Cool toys. One of my co-workers (the craziest one), would set the laser to a low power- and write his name on the palm of his hand with it! Just enough to discolor the top layer of dead skin cells on the epidermis!

Too bad we didn't have any laser hair removal type units at the time... :-)

EnglishRose
07-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I have to agree on 800mg Ibuprofen. I took that twice and it was OK; the once I used tylenol (acitominophen (sp?)) was horrid.

Carole Cross
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Before today I had had 2 sessions of laser hair removal at the Sk:n clinic in Bristol and have had excellent results. My beard is now very patchy and yesterday I just had my 3rd session (of 8). Whilst there I also bought 8 sessions of full body laser treatments. God bless 0% interest 12 month repayment plans.

I am not bothering with laser on my body as the hormones have done a good job on my body hair so far. After 9 months I have no hair on my shoulders or upper back any more and the hair on my stomach has almost gone. The growth rate of the rest of my body has slowed considerably and it is visbly thinner now. it is also starting to disappear from my hands.

Noemi
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
I am not bothering with laser on my body as the hormones have done a good job on my body hair so far. After 9 months I have no hair on my shoulders or upper back any more and the hair on my stomach has almost gone. The growth rate of the rest of my body has slowed considerably and it is visbly thinner now. it is also starting to disappear from my hands.

Hello Carole,

If I may ask.
Did you have allot or a little hair on your shoulders and upper back? And are you brunette? I am pondering hair removal and HRT, just looking for info.

Thank you,

Noemi

Carole Cross
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Hello Carole,

If I may ask.
Did you have allot or a little hair on your shoulders and upper back? And are you brunette? I am pondering hair removal and HRT, just looking for info.

Thank you,

Noemi

I had a lot of hair all over my body and it was fast growing. My hair is dark brown so I guess that makes me a brunette. I've had 13 sesssions of laser on my face and will get rid of the rest by electrolysis. There is very little left and no beard shadow any more. I had most of my laser before I started HRT.

Noemi
07-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for getting back to me Carole.
Your answer is what I figured. I am Italian, and a fur ball, sob...(cries hairy tears)

I just finished dueling with thigh hair with the epilator. I have a new epilator that works in the shower and that is the far better, to remove hair after exfoliating and showering etc, then rinse again...no stuble.

I can not see battling my furriness forever and am going to make some moves. Probably start with my back and neck, laser. Take it from there.

I would like to start HRT, I am fairly miserable as a man and know deep down that I am a woman...never, oh well..this is me. Sorry I have accepted myself but am still looking at a man in the mirror and that throws me for a ride...still, it is weird as you know.

Thanks again,
♥♥♥
Noemi

Hope
07-04-2012, 02:52 AM
I have been doing laser for over a year now... OMG is it painful... At least for me.

Now that we are down to JUST the grey hair on my face, and rounding them up with electro... and I am down to shaving maybe twice a week... it is heavenly. Well... it's really nice. I shouldn't over-sell it.

All I am saying is - yup, it hurts. yup it is expensive. And YES it IS worth it. Just stick with it.