PDA

View Full Version : Which look is stranger (to those "normal" people out there)

TiffanyGreene
07-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Earlier today I posted in a different section about nail salons in the Atlanta area. I stated that I would be in drab (regular guy jeans and a shirt), except that I would be wearing some cute heeled wedges to get my toes done. That got me to thinking...what would get more "normal" people scratching their heads, a CD dressed up and presenting as a woman getting her toes done, or a guy in obvious guy clothes except for wearing a pair of high heel wedges? I am looking for a place in Atlanta for my first peti, so I guess either situation could be more or less normal for Atlanta, according to what Ive heard.

The other post is here, for anyone interested in checking.
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?177073-Any-recommendations-for-a-nail-salon-in-the-Atlanta-area

Thanks
Tiff

Sara Jessica
07-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I think presenting as a male wearing wedges will trip people out more. At least presenting as female, you are going to disarm the Muggles at first glance, even if you are read as being T-whatever and in turn, they can process that you are T-whaever. In my opinion, presenting as male with a single decidedly feminine garment is likely to elicit a much more tepid response in that such presentation is less likely to "compute" at any level.

Cynthia Anne
07-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I would think ''guy'' mode would send them on a trip quicker! But hey I've had manicares with color in guy mode many times when I was younger! Hugs!

sissystephanie
07-02-2012, 11:59 PM
I get a manicure and pedicure every 2 weeks at a salon in Alpharetta, Georgia. I always wear open toe sandals(ladies) when I go in the salon. I may be dressed enfemme or I may be in drab. The 2 young ladies who do my nails know that I am a crossdresser and don't care. Apparently none of the other customers care either. They talk to me just like any other person, which is the way it should be!!

BTW, I would never wear wedges for a pedicure!! As Andy said, you can ruin a pedicure that way!! Been there, done that!! Had to get it done over!!

Eryn
07-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Andy has it right! You want to wear whatever footwear will preserve that $$$ pedicure until the polish is nice and hard.

Now, if you go en femme you should expect to be able to comfortably carry on the femme conversation that goes on in the salon you frequent. That's a social imperative and if you stay silent in a chatty salon you will stick out like a sore thumb!

TiffanyGreene
07-03-2012, 12:29 AM
I am really excited as this will be my first experience in a nail salon, so everyone's opinions are appreciated! After seeing the helpful info here, I have decided to opt for a different pair of shoes here instead of the wedges (sorry, I just really love these wedges!!) I have another pair of sandals that may work better, here is a link http://www.rackroomshoes.com/product/pesaro/adele/1305.231157.html

I think I am gonna get my nails painted pink. Or if I am in a really intense mood, maybe fire engine red! How long does it normally take to dry? Also, I would be interested in any specific nail salons that you girls can recommend. I have read many reviews, and it seems that a lot of guys are now getting pedicures.

Thanks again

Tiff

Sara Jessica
07-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Tiffany, you really seem to be muddying up the issue here.

Guys get pedi's all the time. Even the most manly of men at times. They have their reasons from taking pride in their appearance/grooming to a medical need to keep one's feet in good shape (such as diabetes). Some of these men may not have an ounce of TG in them but still opt for color.

Then there's the TG pedi thing. That kind of speaks for itself.

And finally, there's your scenario where it's kind of clear you will not be presenting as female, yet you wish to wear some fab shoes (whether wedge heels, sandals, etc.). You recognize this will get you more looks than either of the other two scenarios I describe. It really doesn't matter so much that dudes get pedi's these days. You will be a dude in female shoes getting a pedi. That's taking things a step further.

STACY B
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
I agree with the ladies. But... youre going for a pedicure in wedges? Wont you mess up your nails? I would think you might want to wear flip flops, and save the wedges for the next day, when your nail polish will be nice and dry. Andy is right ,,All ya do is get some flip flops on an go in an act like you have been there 1,000,000 times ,, Walk in anyone you want it dont matter ,,An tell em ya want to get your feet done or a Pedi ,,Then walk over to the nail polish rack ,, An slowly pick out your Color ,,Then pick it up off the shelf an bring it to the chair yull be sitting in an she will take it from ya . Cuz the color is the last thing so you can enjoy the rest an just sit back an relax ,, When she's almost done slip on your flops an she can paint an then yull be ready to make your exit ,,With your own flops you dont even have to wait till they dry ,,,Incase ya freak an want a fast escape ? So dont make that mistake an wear any crazy shoes there cuz it will cause you more embaresment in the long run . Just go in there like you meen it ,,All they care about is the money ,,Rememeber there at work ,,So tip BIG ,,An next time they will be fighting over who gets you !:D

kimdl93
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
It depends on the person. I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes? On the other hand, I do suspect that dressing in an androgynous manner may attract more attention than going en femme. That is, I'd probably notice a male with eye make up before I'd pick out a CDr dressed appropriately for the situation.

TiffanyGreene
07-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Tiffany, you really seem to be muddying up the issue here.

Sara, you are right. And I guess the reason for it is just a goofy giddiness or excitement. I have never even stepped into a nail salon. I know guys get them now, but THIS guy doesnt (... Or, didnt). Before finding this forum, i was just another bloke in a dress and pumps in the privacy of my home. Guess this forum has given me a little courage to do some things i have been wanting to do for a long time! Maybe I am trying to do too much at once! Another thing that has me giddy is that i will have almost two weeks to dress at home alone, and that hardly ever happens. Maybe I should just do the following:

1) go and get some "skinny" jeans (...or jeggings) that i have been wanting for a while.

2) since i have never dressed outside home, maybe i should just get a pedi in regular bloke clothes, including dude flip flops (i am still gonna get color on them anyway!)

3) wait for the drying process to happen, and go out the next day in my skinny jeans, wedge heels, and cute top (... And also my big cute girly sunglasses)!

I am just a newbie at this whole process, although i have been dressing in clothes only for years. Do you think the above steps will be better suited for me? I am NOT asking to be sarcastic, please dont think that. I just really dont know!

Thanks, tiff

Richelle
07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=Sara Jessica;2891453]
Guys get pedi's all the time. Even the most manly of men at times. They have their reasons from taking pride in their appearance/grooming to a medical need to keep one's feet in good shape (such as diabetes). Some of these men may not have an ounce of TG in them but still opt for color.

Tiffany,

Jessica is correct guys get pedicures all the time. My wife and I go regularly to one in Newport Beach. I am always presenting as male. The workers and the other customers never at like it is a big deal. Even when I have color applied.

In fact we where their on father's day and three couples came in together and all the guys got pedicures while, they where finishing up the gel polish on my fingernails. No one batted an eye.

Richelle

Karren H
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I always get a few looks while prancing around the shoe store in 4" heels wearing a male business suit... Not that I really noticed their looks or really care...

Alice B
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Presenting as a male and not in wedges will be perfectly OK. I always get my nails done that way with no negative comments and lots of positive ones from females in the salon. Sure I might get a look from a male in getting a haircut, but it is no big deal. The other choice would be to come in fully as a female and that would be OK also. But, to come in showing a mixed message would get mixed results.

Lorileah
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
what if I don't like flip flops? Can I go barefoot?

TiffanyGreene
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Karen - that put an immediate visual in my head, and i laughed out loud! In my head i equate "prancing" with arms flailing.

Cheryl T
07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Personally, if I'm not presenting as a woman I'm not wearing wedges and capris and things like that. My desire is not to challenge society but to express my femininity.