PDA

View Full Version : Best purchase and worst !! Come on don't be shy !

Rebeccarabbit
07-03-2012, 08:08 AM
OK Girls fun time !!
We have all bought things in the bold attempt to feel or become more female! So what was your best investment and your worst..? It could be accessories, clothes anything......we have all done it , myself a few times I am not partial to coming to terms with the odd clanger and the steep learning curve.

I'll start my best is my hair piece, soon to be replaced. My second best was my Slimming World membership it got me in shape. Here goes, my worst was what turned out to be a [simulated female lower anatomy].......please let's not even go there, I don't know what I was thinking of at the time !!!

Love to all Becky x ç

kimdl93
07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Best purchase...gosh, I'll go with my most recent - Amoena Contact Light Forms. (Runner up would be either of my wigs). Worst purchase, well there's a strong competition there as well. Probably a merino wool sweater dress that looked wonderful on a VS model, but on me, not so much.

linda allen
07-03-2012, 08:23 AM
I bought a nice pair of high heeled ankle boots (not that nice, from Payless), but they are hidden away and I can't bring them out to show my wife (long story).

My worst - a bra that didn't feel right and a skirt that didn't fit. I donated them to Goodwill.

Beverley Sims
07-03-2012, 08:31 AM
A 36a bra for $2 that was a 32.... Wrong size.
Best buy.... A Co Co Chanel dress for $2.00 again too small for me but it adds class to the other stuff hanging in my wardrobe.:)
I have even let GG's try it on for an experience.
Best useful buy now......Cole of California leopard print swimsuit. A bit retro now but looks great on.

MargaretJ
07-03-2012, 09:04 AM
My breast forms were the best, they really got me looking more femme, and after that I started investing more time and money in my hobby. My worst was a longline bra that I thought, (hoped), would give me a better look around the bust, but it didn't really work for me.

Amanda22
07-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Like others say, breast forms are my best purchase. Worst would be the pink tutu, which was a pink fog purchase and quickly made its way to Goodwill.

Karren H
07-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Love this thread..... best was definitely the first corset I bought locally.... getting fitted and having the SA lace me up was just amazing...... the worst..... was not so much the products but how they arrived.... ordered padded panties, a gaff and a pushup bra from a boutique in Vancouver and had it shipped to my office UPS... so I thought.... was checking the status online and noticed it had my home address not my work one!!! before my wife found out ... so I called UPS and told them to hold it for pickup... then they kind of lost it then found it and were going to deliver it to my house..... finally got it held and picked it up... didn't really like what I got anyway.... and almost outted me... sooner and probably worse....

Robinkay
07-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Well, I am sure that it was my first wig purchase.
I still remember the feeling when the lady slipped it over my head and I saw my self in the mirror!
She said just shave your mustache had your done honey.:brolleyes:

Nikki A.
07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Wig is my best purchase, and I I have a couple of bras that fit really well. Worst purchase I have a few tops and a dress or two that I wonder why I ever bought them

Kathi Lake
07-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Best purchase? Wow, that's hard. I try to purchase things that make me go "Wow!" so most of my purchases are great. I guess if one stands out (heh heh), like others, it would have to be my forms. Nothing completes "the look" as much as something that is designed to give to those that ain't got. :)

Worst purchase? Those that I bought before my confidence level was high enough, and I took the SA's recommendation ahead of my own feelings. Two notable ones were a skirt in a pretty color - that cannot possibly go with anything, and a black top with a keyhole front. Totally, totally wrong.

Kathi

TiffanyGreene
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Ok, best I think would be a recent purchase. I have always worn heels, stilettos and such. Recently I bought some wedges with a 4 inch heel, and to me the comfort factor is so much higher. Easier to walk in and much more stable, wish I had tried them sooner.

Worst, i guess there are two. Bought a formal dress with sequins at a thrift shop without trying it on. Got it home aand it was way way too big. I could stuff a pillow under it and it was still loose. The size was written on a tag pinned to the dress for sale, but could not find a sewn in tag anywhere on it with size marked. Obviously was tagged wrong, and it made its way back to the thrift store in the form of a donation. The second bad purchase was a pair of sandals from an overstock type store. I remember the cashier specifically asked if they were for me jokingly, and I said no they are a gift. Got to the car and found out I had two right shoes. Didnt want to go right back in because she would have figured they were for me, so they hit the trash can.

Lesson learned: if I would have tried on the dress or the shoes, both bad purchases could have been avoided. If you cant try them on, at least check and make sure you dont have two left or right shoes in the box!

Sandra1746
07-03-2012, 09:58 AM
My best is a pleated top with bright birds and flowers on a beige background.

My worst was a long-line bra; it gave me a set of "love handles" you had to see to believe.

Enjoy dressing,
Sabdra1746

Cheryl T
07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Best is my Amoena forms (with my newest wig a close second).
Worst...??? Probably my first wig from Ebay. It looked great on the model, but then I'm not the model....enough said.

Persephone
07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
My best purchase by far was my beard-busting laser contract. I'm glad of that one every day.

Worst was probably some stock in Conexant. It went from about $40 U.S. a share to $2.40 currently.

Hugs,
Persephone.

SANDRA MICHELLE
07-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Best purchase was 1500 ounces of gold at 390.00 and my worst purchase was my first wedding.

Karren H
07-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Best purchase was 1500 ounces of gold at 390.00 and my worst purchase was my first wedding.

Guessing she got 750 ozs in the divorce? Lol.

Eryn
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Best, definitely a wig. That's the first time that I looked in the mirror and actually saw Eryn looking back at me.

Worst: A pair of beige ballet flats that looked good in the store, but never left their shoe box once home. They eventually went to the Salvation Army.

I would have chosen the 4" sparkly strappy sandals that rendered two toes numb for several weeks as my "worst," but they looked sooooo good on my feet! :)

suchacutie
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Worst: a skirt/top combo dress that looked just wonderful in the catelog and made me look like a lumberjack in a dress (but at least it started the conversation and what kind of clothes my "inverted triangle" body should NOT be dressed in!).

Best: my first pair of 4.5 in clogs that I still wear! Not only can I transform to Tina just by wearing them, but they are the perfect height/configuration to straighten my back! I haven't had any back issues in the 6 years since we bought those clogs!

Janet77
07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Worst was a corset that a SA talked me into that didn't even come close to fitting me....
Best was probably my Raquel Welch wig.....

SANDRA MICHELLE
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh Karren, not a chance, that was a long time ago. We bought this gold just after we married in 1985, had the money and could see the writing on the wall so we put it in metals. Have held it now for 26+ years and it is doing pretty good right now. The ex wife was a nightmare but that was 1976 and long done with that. Current wife can have it all if she decides to not put up with me but that is probably never going to happen, I'm such a "catch", LOL!!!!

darla_g
07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Great purchases, there were more than a few. Probably that black leather skirt i got. The worst , there are probably more since everything i bought and couldn't return is a bad purchase.

julia marie
07-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Worst, just last weekend. Bought a bra based on the size marked on the hanger rather than on the label. Bit of an ouch trying to get it on before I looked at the real size: four sizes smaller than I thought.
Best: Denim skirt. It was cheap, and it's a whole lot better than denim jeans. Wear it at least once a week.

Cynthia Anne
07-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Best! Can of Busch:drink:!!! Worst! Can of Coors:thumbsdn:! OK, OK just joking seriousley! My last wig was my best:)! A size four dress when I knew I wore a size ten was my worse!:eek::hugs:

SweetNikki
07-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Best: my human hair wig just love it :)

Worst: A set of Bandeau bras why oh why :(

Michelle01
07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Best was size 9 silicone breast forms... awesome! Worst was a mail order corset with cups... don't know what the hell I was thinking!

CynthiaD
07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
My most useful purchase was breast forms. I have several sets and have one of them on most of the time. But my favorite is the denim skirt I bought a few months ago. It looks great on me, even in (semi-) male mode.

The worst (out of many potential candidates) is a rust colored a-line dress that made me look like a water buffalo. Second worst is anything I bought to look "sexy." That is so not-going-to-happen!

NicoleScott
07-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Best: my favorite blonde wig. close behind: very tall wedges
Worst: wig, bought, worn once but never again. close behind: cute print tunic that looked great on the catalog model, but bad on me.

Jenny Doolittle
07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Best purchase had to be my forms. Giggles, I had to try them on and give a test drive around the store and the poor sales girls and I had a misunderstanding of what I meant by try them on. I think she thought any minute I was goign to bolt and run out the door as I walked around the store in them.

The worse...anything I tried to buy with out trying on first!

PretzelGirl
07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Tough. For the best, buying a laser contract as Persephone says, rates high. But I also see a make-up lesson as being equally important and they both had to do with facial appearance. I did the make-up lesson when I first started going out and while I have played with the look some, it helped my confidence tremendously from the start.

The worst? There is a many item tie. They pretty much all were spur of the moment purchases I did when in drab and not trying things on. I might have learned my lesson by now. Maybe...

fran46
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Best: Hiring an Estee Lauder saleswoman from Saks to give me a four-hour tutorial on makeup.

Worst: Buying one of those expensive [simulated female lower anatomy]; it's awful.

Cristi
07-04-2012, 11:21 AM
My best? Probably my breast forms, or one of two sundresses I bought very recently (one of them is the one in my avatar photo). The dresses are pretty, fit perfectly, and very cool and comfortable in this hot weather. The downside is that they make me even MORE sad that I can't dress every day for work.

The worst? It would be difficult to pick any one thing. I bought a terrible wig once. The only time I wore it outside, EVERYBODY stared at me. Along with that, I've bought several pair of shoes that never fit, or were so badly made that I could never wear them for more than a few minutes. Lastly, when I was first buying things in stores I would feel the need to come home with something, so ended up buying quite a few blouses/dresses/skirts that either just plain did not fit, or were not age appropriate (too young OR too old and frumpy). It took me quite a while to find 'my' fashion and start buying only things that would actually look good on me.

I'm pretty much managed to purge all of those mistakes from my closet.

Bree Wagner
07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
I think my best was probably the dress I'm wearing in my avatar shot. For $9 I couldn't do any better. The saleslady told me I should have got two. All my good shots of it here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/breewagner/sets/72157629450159160/)

The worst? Too many things to even count. Some cheap wigs, shoes that look great but don't fit, and all the clothes that have gone to goodwill after totally failing the wife review.

-Bree

sometimes_miss
07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Best: Cheerleader uniform from genuine cheerleading uniform company; feels and looks authentic, not to mention made for 'action' so it feels like it will never wear out. Oh, not to mention, real pretty too.
Worst: Shoes. So hard to tell what will fit, and what won't. Same with bras.

KateSpade83
07-04-2012, 07:56 PM
There are too many BEST items in my big women's clothes collection to list! But generally I treasure:
1. My 2 same Bob wigs
2. My collection of real chearleader outfits. Best ones are with bodyliners.
3. My hard to find collection of REAL Catholic schoolgirl uniforms. I especially have the same skirt as the girls at Josephenum H.S. next by me. I can dress up looking like a schoolgirl from there! When I see them in uniform I know how it feels to be dressed like them!
4. I have a beautiful, big, and expensive collection of lingerie and skirt suits. Over 120 skirt suits and multiple drawers of lingerie!
5. I cherish my rare but few collection of long sleeve dresses that look nice and that I can shop in.

My worst purchases were buying dressed from ebay from Chinese sellers. Their picture of the product was a perfect sample, but when you get it it was lesser quality or not the same. Got burned several times so I stopped buying from ebay from China for awhile. Lately I've tried a rare few dresses.

BLUE ORCHID
07-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi Rebecca, Probably my besr and worst could be Shoes & Shoes.

drushin703
07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
hey rebecca: my best purchase, ever I suppose, was my first wig. I couldn't believe just how feminine it rounded out my entire look. I am a wigaholic, owning
well over 35, all black and most full and long. My worst purchase, recently, was the size 12 pumps I purchased from Payless, closed toe with a one inch
platform, when I knew full well that I could not fit my size 13 + big toes inside of them....This is what happens when your size is out of stock....ouch...dana

Nancy (PA)
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Tiffany: what do you think the person who found out he\she had two left-foot shoes felt?

Mistybtm
07-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Yeah my first wedding was my worst as well.
I have several dresses that i would consider my best but the top of the list would be like many others breast forms sz 10

Cari
07-04-2012, 11:45 PM
The biggest wow was the first wig I was so lucky to get one that worked right off, immediate major step forward
Best overall Ill go with Making Faces and/or good makeup brushes, still use both, the most helpfull for the money.

The worst was foundation from the local drugstore, good product but not if you wanted to cover a beard.
wasted allot of time with it and didnt exactly build my confidence.

Sophia Claire
07-05-2012, 12:01 AM
OK Girls fun time !!
We have all bought things in the bold attempt to feel or become more female! So what was your best investment and your worst..? It could be accessories, clothes anything......we have all done it , myself a few times I am not partial to coming to terms with the odd clanger and the steep learning curve.

I'll start my best is my hair piece, soon to be replaced. My second best was my Slimming World membership it got me in shape. Here goes, my worst was what turned out to be a [simulated female lower anatomy].......please let's not even go there, I don't know what I was thinking of at the time !!!

Love to all Becky x ç

Ooh, this will be fun!

Best: my first wig. It was gorgeous! Brunette, shoulder-length with and just a TOUCH of red. As soon as I tried it on, I knew it was mine.

Worst: I'm torn on this one. Either my first body shaper, which was one of those spandex jobs that just stretched around all of the things it was there to hide; or it was this red button down blouse in ruched satin with 3/4 sleeves. The sleeves drove me crazy! They kept bunching around my biceps whenever I moved, which brought more attention to them. It was not flattering at all.

bobbimo
07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
My best would have to be my latest set of breast forms. They have more concavity so my natural breast/chest/titties, set in them. instead of them balancing on top.
There are many worsts, but I guess the worst was my first 3"+ high heels.
Impossible to walk in! And forget about going up or down stairs!
Thrift store here you go.

TGMarla
07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
The best purchase I have made related to crossdressing? Hmmm......Well, my long wig, which is slated for replacement some time soon, my breast forms, and my beige pointelle sweater dress (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/5696153825/in/photostream) all come to mind first, so I'll go with those. It's hard to choose any one of those over the others, but I'd go with the wig if I had to.

The worst? I got this really pretty dress on Ebay, and it turned out to be nothing more than a couple of pieces of sheer fabric stitched together with sleeves attached. Dumb. And I got one of those Chinese corsets you see advertised around, and that turned out to be a dud, too.

Stephanie47
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
The best is the grey wig I currently wear. The runner up is the general category of any vintage slip at a reasonable bid. Recently I bought a vintage Nancy King black slip for $13.99 and another Nancy King black slip for $6.49, each plus shipping of $3.50.

The worst? A dress I purchased on eBay which was too small, even though the size offered was my size. It had no stretch to the fabric. Which brings up a point. As a youth exploring my cross dressing tendencies, I always tried on my mother's dresses. They always were form fitting with a side zipper. Women actually had hour glass waist lines back then. Anyway, just pondering. All purchases of pretty dresses from eBay that do not fit are my worst purchases.

nicolecdgal
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
By far my PALS breast forms are my best purchase! Worst purchase was my first mail order wig. I found out by going into a wig shop and trying on different colors and styles that I actually wouldn't die...I survived to tell about it.

girlinside
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
best purchase would have to be my three pair of heels, i wear them driving sometimes at night (amazing feeling i love it). worst would have to be the cutest ball gown i have ever seen that reminds me of prom season for my high school. lace up back with side zip and pickup skirt so pretty but probably cant ware it cuz of my SO. :(

Rachel Renee
07-06-2012, 06:19 PM
My best purchase was definitely my wig. Every single time I wear it I get wonderful compliments on it. I love it so much that I bought a second one as a back up.

My worst purchase was my very first bra. I had no idea what I was doing and it was way too big. Plus, the cashier literally laughed out loud at me. Protip: don't buy underwear at Dollar General. :D

Ally 2112
07-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Best Purchases Everthing that i have bought and it fit
The worst Everthing i have bought and did not fit
I have gotten pretty good at guessing my size and fit but have still made some boo boo's since i am still to chicken to try on clothes at the store :)

cdterri
07-11-2012, 01:27 PM
best, the thousands and thousands of dollars spent on dresses, skirts, panties, bras, etc.
worse, see the above

Kelly Blaine
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Worst was a trashy pair of shoes at the beginning. Best! my reqular girl, thong panties. No more crossdresser store shopping for me.

Vanessa Storrs
07-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Best--Last week i found two kilt type skirts (mini kilts?) At a thrift store. They are really cute and they fit.
Worst--Anything i have purchased thinking that it will fit perfectly after I lose some weight.

Helen_Highwater
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
My best is one of my wigs; the worst is one of my wigs. Diva Vs deviant!

Ms Mira
07-11-2012, 11:02 PM
My best is probably my wig.

My worst... well, I have a million pieces from Value Village that don't match with anything I own.

JamieQ
07-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Best purchase bra from Victorias Secret. Worst? Not sure. Alot of things did not work out, but that is part of the process. Probably the heeled sandals that really weren't heeled high enough.

BillieJoEllen
07-12-2012, 02:37 PM
When I first got out of the service and started 'shopping' again I bought what I thought was a pink skirt. While looking at it and buying it I never really looked at it that close (I was VERY nervous). I was very much dismayed when I went to put it on for the very first time to discover I had bought a culotte! I was basically out of money at that time and much too frightened to take it back and exchange it for something else. Times change and I laugh at that little episode now.

JenniferR771
07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
The long lacy wedding dress ranks up high. The thrift store girl helped me zip it up. And of course, the breast forms are really nice.

Worst was a costime-quality blond wig during a Halloween sale. Yuck.

JC
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
my best purchase - i would have said breast forms until i bought an A cup bra so i can wear a bra without forms. Worst purchase was my first pair of shoes. These were a 4 inch heel. I did try them on in the store. As I wore them for a couple of hours, my feet hurt. 4 inch heels really do not go with the normal causual look. so my next pair was 2 to 2.5 inch heels then flats. I wear these much more --- i remain closeted except to my wife.

LisaMallon
07-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Best: my Ros Hommorson shoes. So comfortable and smart looking, I can wear them all day, small heel buts that's ok.

Worst: Perhaps most frustrating, my red jersey dress. When I saw it in the window I fell in love with it. Bought it and put it on.
Fitted me like a glove ...... except for the length, bottom of my bum shows nicely:eek:.
I still have it, look at it longingly in my wardrobe and I keep looking for one just like it, only 3-6 inches longer:sad:

RileyEvans
07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
My best would be my breast forms and my leather and rhinestone collar, their kinda equal in importance. The worst would be everything I've bought that doesn't fit.

Emily Barton
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Well I'll start with my worst I think, as that'll be easier. I had a major attack of the pink fog during my first year of uni and got a bus into the city centre so I could indulge. I ended up in debenhams and walked out with 3 prom dresses - I don't know what the person who served me must've thought! Anyway, I was disappointed with all 3 but the worst was a pink one which had no straps which made it a pain to try and wear. On top of this it creased really easily and I just didn't like how it looked on.

Best purchase? It's hard to say really, but possibly one of my very first ones. I still love the first dress that I bought and the second is wonderful too. More recently I've been buying online which has also been a great success - it'd be hard to choose just one item as my best purchase I think!

lingerieLiz
07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Worst was when I was on a trip and decided to buy "good" makeup and spent most of my cash without realizing it. Then didn't have enough to buy a dress so I couldn't go out.

Best, wow several things, probably a yellow full skirted shirtwaist dress that I wore with petticoats to go to a sockhop. It was really cool because you could see my bra and slip lines through it, and when I whirled around the petticoats showed. Riding in the car the petticoats held the dress up and showed.

StacyChambers
07-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Best purchase - possibly my first pair of Wolford's.
Worst purchase - possibly the "liquid" leggings that looked amazing on the model and horrible on me. The upside is that they look pretty good on the wife. :)

Cassandra86
07-13-2012, 11:28 PM
The best was my wig! Never been more happy in my life. I like it cus it came with removable highlights in all colors and looks so natural

Worst is probably lip plumping lipstick omg like it burned so bad and was totally the wrong color!

nikkijo
07-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Best..... my current Dr and therapist... worst.... ex wife... she screwed me for life in the relationship department

Sarah Doepner
07-14-2012, 12:45 AM
The worst has to be the shoes that were cute, fit and were comfortable on the carpet at home, but tore my feet up on the sidewalk the first time I wore them out of the house. The best was going to be wig, or forms, or corset, but it turns out it was probably the vacation I took my wife on after she discovered and then accepted my crossdressing.

Soccer21
07-14-2012, 04:33 AM
the only thing i have bought was breast forms a couple years ago.. sadly i threw them out a couple months after...wish i hadnt...cant remember why i did either.

Maria 60
07-14-2012, 05:14 AM
This may sound a little crazy but my best purchase was a garter belt with stockings, as far as i could remember i always wanted to see how a real garter belt and stockings felt like. WOW well worth it. My worst was a wrap around dress that i couldn't wait to get home and try it on and my arms wouldn't fit through the sleeve's. What a bummer.

Christineblake113
07-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Best would be a pair of black leather-look pumps with 4" spike heels. Got them from Target for less than $30, the fit is perfect, and they are comfortable to walk in.

Worst would be a satin and lace teddy that I got years ago. Don't remember what store or how much I paid, but the size turned out to be way too big.

Christie Camelle
07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
My best purchase has to be my wig. It flows and the color and style are perfect with my skin tone. Worst... Hmmm... Spray tan. Yecch! What a mess! Lol

SuzieLod
07-14-2012, 03:45 PM
worst a wedding dress too small for me.

Best a square dance cowgirl skirt with a ruffled petticoat that adds lots of volume and makes it move very sensuously

Sometimes Steffi
07-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Best:
1. My makeover and photo shoot with Amanda. See my profile pic (not my avatar cartoon).
2. A silver/grey cocktail dres the SA in DressBarn talked me into. I figured that she was making her quota for the week, but the store was closing, so I bought it. She was right. It was made for me.
3. A Sofia Vegara clubbing dress, black, with a ruched hem for $4.49 from the sale rack at K-Mart. It looked very sexy, even on me.
Worst:
1. Female Woman Marines skirt and blouse in size 14. The fit like an 8. I re-sold them on eBay for a profit.
2. These hot pink leather pants that I got on eBay

pyleris23
07-15-2012, 05:56 PM
best: my first wig.
worst: my last wig...

Samantha Jane
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Best buy, lovely pair leather knee high boots.
Worst buy, what I thought was a nice mini stretch skirt and turned out to be a boob tube. In my defence, grabbed it in a rush and soon as I got it home realised my mistake.