PDA

View Full Version : Women's prescription glasses?

RainyNightGirl
07-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Dear ladies

I am considering obtaining some spectacles in a woman's style to help me when I am out and about enfemme. I need my spectacles to function properly eg drive / read and have never been able to wear contacts.

Does anyone have any specific advice on glasses?
- width (are women's eyewear of a smaller width?)
- any particular styles that would suit a CD more (eg disguise some masculine facial features or at least not emphasise them?)

Thank you for your advice as always,

Natasha

Kate Simmons
07-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I guess some do but I just wear my regular glasses when driving Hon.:)

VickysBFF
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi Natasha: I have a pair of women's glasses that I wear when I am en femme. I obtained them in an unusual way. I had gotten my prescription for lenses from my optometrist because I was moving. My S.O. went to a glasses shop and picked out the frames for me and gave them my prescription. I am very happy with them.
Some eyewear shops do have a section of unisex frames that can be worn by males or females. There are some styles that work for either gender.
A lot depends on where you live and what service you use. In one place where I used to live the service that I went to was not very friendly. I found a pair of frames that I really liked and the salesperson gave me an ugly look and dissuaded me from getting them because they were women's frames. Needless to say I quit going there.

Eryn
07-04-2012, 01:34 PM
If you're uncomfortable about buying femme glasses in person you can use a website like Zinni Optical. You can even upload a picture to their site and try glasses on until you find a pair that suits you. The huge bonus is that the prices are very inexpensive. Glasses that would have cost over $300 at Lenscrafters cost less than $80 through Zinni.

Rachel Morley
07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I have just got myself some femme glasses. I went to an optometrist to get a new prescription but bought my frames online from http://www.39dollarglasses.com/

As for what style, shape, color etc would disguise masculine features, I'm not really sure. I guess the more girly the glasses the better! :)

Anna Lorree
07-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Like Rachel, I have bought female glasses from 39dollarglasses.com and am happy with them. In fact I wear them every day! I have a narrow face and HAVE to wear female frames, as male frames are just too big for me.

Anna

sandra-leigh
07-04-2012, 04:31 PM
5-ish years ago, I did go through the expense of buying some "obviously femme" prescription glasses to wear when I went out, with the intent that I should look Very Different, as I had in mind that the way people were identifying me so easily was through my glasses.

In retrospect it turned out to not have been worthwhile for me.

People who had never seen me Dressed before and had never seen those glasses before, still had no problem at all in identifying me, so they weren't useful for that.

And I had decided that since I was only going to be using them occasionally, that it would be good enough to buy regular lens rather than getting Progressive -- after all, I hadn't been doing so bad in fixed lenses up until then. Well, it turned out that once you need Progressives that it is difficult to go back, and I couldn't use them for much of the social minutiae, like reading menus.

Between the glasses not being an effective disguise for me, and the glasses not being situationally useful for me, I ended up not using those glasses much. Interestingly, recently I ended up using them for a week while my regular glasses were broken, and my wife exclaimed about how nice the frames looked on me...

But that's me. There are a lot of people who look very different when they put on different glasses. If you are lucky enough to be one of the "People who know me don't recognize me when I'm dressed!" group, then femme glasses can help complete appearance. I just happen to be on the other directly opposite group, the "Everyone recognizes me and no-one is surprised" group.

When I bought the above-mentioned frames, I also had to buy my everyday frames. One of the few styles that I liked and which could take sufficiently large lens was a rimless style that was a touch on the feminine side of androgynous. With my previous rimmed style, I had difficulties because the frame cut right over top of the eye-shadow area, but the rimless design really opened my eyes up. Those glasses become my everyday glasses, and it worked out fine.

My advice when you are looking for women's glasses, is to go ahead and try on the "odd" styles and the "silly" glasses. Call it "entertainment" if that's what you need to try a big variety on. At some point you will try on "something stupid" and you will look in the mirror and suddenly it doesn't look stupid at all -- oh, it still might not be the right pair, but you will have realized that something in the design Works For You, and it will change your perspective considerably.

Just last week, I tried on some Silly Frames, purple and rhinestones, and I found that I liked them. They were silly, yes, but in a playful way, and did not reach as far as ridiculous. If my lens weren't so very expensive (!!), I would have thought seriously about buying the silly frames for casual wear.

jillleanne
07-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Get your rescription from the eye doctor you see. Go online to Zenni optical and fit glasses to your face via your pic. Just follow the instructions. I bought three pair of transitional bifocal lenses with frames delivered to me for $ 155.00 total. No one can match them.

Barbara Ella
07-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Give All About Eyes, or Eye Mart Express a try if you can go in and try on frames. With your prescription, two pair of progressives are less than $100, single vision are around two for $70. Dont know their frame selection, and you are at the mercy of how accepting the SA will be. Hope to get two pair later this summer.

Barbara

ArleneRaquel
07-04-2012, 04:53 PM
I went to the eye doctor on June 25 and my new prescription is on my desk, I still can;t decide what cat;s eyes frames to buy. I have a great black pair of cat's
eyes that are clear frame, three pairs in fact, the others being torquise and the other grey, but my favor are the black, somewhat over sized.

Nancie64
07-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Last summer I decided the H--- with it and went to Pearl Vision and had my eyes checked and bought new glasses and also picked out a pair of frames from the fem rack. The SA told me what they were and I just told her that I knew and those were the free pair that I would like. She looked at me a little strange but did not say a word. I do like them but may try one of the on line sites mentioned. Might have to have a 2nd pair.

"Mary"
07-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Get your rescription from the eye doctor you see. Go online to Zenni optical and fit glasses to your face via your pic. Just follow the instructions. I bought three pair of transitional bifocal lenses with frames delivered to me for $ 155.00 total. No one can match them.
Yes!!! Zenni is terrific. I've bought single vision glasses from them guys and girls. They start at about $8.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s236/dianaprince2/2011%20-%20October%20plus/H852c.jpg
Definitely Check out Zenni!

Eryn
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
...picked out a pair of frames from the fem rack. The SA told me what they were and I just told her that I knew and those were the free pair that I would like. She looked at me a little strange but did not say a word.

I often wonder if the brick and mortar opticians realize that this sort of "customer service" is pushing more customers to discover much more economical on-line alternatives such as those discussed in this thread? CDers are a tiny part of their clientele, but I can thing of other groups that might react similarly. In my case, lack of gender sensitivity resulted not only in loss of a femme glasses sale, but also in the loss of future male mode glasses sales as well.

In any case, it's saving me hundreds of dollars, which I will probably spend on clothes! :)

Kelly Greene
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
My every day glasses are form the women's rack, they are rimless with wire temples that complement my hair color. The lenses match the shape of my eye and so far no one has ever said a single word.
You might consider finding something you like that will look good on you reguardless of how you are dressed it could save you some money and time.
The eye doctor wants you to be happy with your purchase so they will do their best to help you find something you like, this way when its time for a new pair you will come back.

ArleneRaquel
07-04-2012, 06:35 PM
About 8 years ago a national chain refused to let me even try on female frame, needless to say I have never gone their again, nor did I purchase a pair then. This was even before the eye exam.

sometimes_miss
07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
As long as you know your eyeglass prescription, go to www.zennioptical.com
you will also have to know your pupillary distance, simply put on a pair of glasses, look in a mirror and with an erasable marker, put a dot where your pupils are. Measure. You're done.
They have lots of frames, prices start at $6.99 for frame with lenses included. At that price you can order as many as you want. Last time I ordered, shipping was flat rate of $4.99 for as many pairs as you want. I think they're made in china, so of course the metal frames aren't made as nice as Bausch and Lomb (the 'gold' plating wears off in about 2 years, but for 7 bucks what do you want?).
I have about 10 pairs from them. Still, that's still under $100 for all those plus shipping. If there seems something wrong with the glasses, they will ship replacements quickly too; last time, they didn't even want the 'wrong' ones back, I was told to just throw them away.
Many frames come in multiple widths, and multiple colors although they don't always tell you so you have to look through all the pictures.
They also sell better quality frames, titanium, etc.
Have fun!

Sometimes Steffi
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Here's my plan.

I'm going to go to my optometrist and get a prescription, an then go to Pearl Vision or someplace like that when they are having a buy one get one free sale. I'll get one for my male side and then I'll openly select a femme one. I assume that the SA will just be sweet about helping me pick out a femme frame. If the SA asks too many questions, I'll just say, "If I tell you, I'll have to shoot you." With a wink of course. I've decided that I don't really care what the SA thinks.

DanaR
07-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I buy my glasses at Costco with a prescription from my eye doctor. I'll look at the gender neutral glasses and usually pick something similar from the woman's glasses selection. A couple of times the SA has mentioned to my that the glasses that I picked were woman's glasses; which I replied, Oh really and bought them anyway. They don't care what you buy.

KerryLynn
07-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Personally i just went in and picked out frames. The service people there will not concern themselves with what frames your buying. I personally bought mine not because they were female frames, but because the frames fit my face until almost all of the men's frames. That and the fact the cheapest pair were females so I went that route. What ever way you go pick a pair of frames that fit comfortably not because they are one gender or the other. :)
Kerry

jillleanne
07-05-2012, 05:59 AM
I often wonder if the brick and mortar opticians realize that this sort of "customer service" is pushing more customers to discover much more economical on-line alternatives such as those discussed in this thread? CDers are a tiny part of their clientele, but I can thing of other groups that might react similarly. In my case, lack of gender sensitivity resulted not only in loss of a femme glasses sale, but also in the loss of future male mode glasses sales as well.

In any case, it's saving me hundreds of dollars, which I will probably spend on clothes! :)

Never thought of it that way before. I just use Zenni for convenience and cost. You are probably quite right.

Before Zenni, I paid $ 650.00 for my last pair of glasses; one pair and the store owners were social friends with me at the club next door to their store.

bridget thronton
07-05-2012, 09:57 AM
I also bought my glasses from Costco (one unisex and one ladies) quite happy with glasses and service

Debra Russell
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Went to Binyons - two for one - one was unisex style (which I also wear when dressed) the other I picked out a light purple frame similar in style to the other but definitely femm - the sales said "you do know that these are womens glasses" and "actually they look nice on you..........................Debra

suchacutie
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Glasses are not simply about gender, but about face shape. There are an immense number of websites that talk about glasses and which face shape is flattered by which glasses shape and size. There is also a discussion in "The Art of Illusion" and many other TG-help books!

Once you have your prescription and know what shape you wish, it will be great fun to decide to get your glasses live or over the web!

Cindi
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Natasha:
I suggest you go to clearlycontacts.ca.
You can select the styles you like, give them your prescription and they will fill it and send you the glasses.
Their prices are very good and they have a terrific selection.
Read the information on their Web page explaining the whole process.
I have purchased two pairs of ladies glasses in bifocals from Clearly Contracts and love them,.
Also, you can return them within a year for a full refund if you are not happy.
You won't find a better deal anywhere else.
They ship to the U.S.

CindI

sandra-leigh
07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
When I was looking for frames about 5 years ago, one of the local budget (but not "discount") places had no problem dealing with me, but another didn't want to show me female frames even though I indicated that I was fine looking at them. The place I ended up using was not a discount place; the owners of it did not have any experience with trans people, but they did their best to assist me.

The discount "one hour lens" places here consider my prescription to be too strong to deal with, even in their regional factories.

Optometrists, in issuing my prescription, tell me outright that I need to be sure to get high quality lens such as Nikon, that in my prescription range the lower quality lens would have significant distortions.

The glasses I ordered about 2 weeks ago are going to be $1100, about 60% of which will be cost of the lenses.

There is, if I understand correctly, at most one company in the world that makes contacts that I could use.

Eryn
07-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Never thought of it that way before. I just use Zenni for convenience and cost. You are probably quite right.

Before Zenni, I paid $ 650.00 for my last pair of glasses; one pair and the store owners were social friends with me at the club next door to their store.

Hey, I'll be your friend too if you bring me $500 pure profit every couple of years! :)

For me, Zenni is even more convenient than Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters doesn't carry my prescription in stock, so they have to send out for the lenses and I have to return to the store one or two weeks later to pick up the glasses. With Zenni they deliver right to my mailbox in about the same amount of time.

Back in the good old days glasses were actually carefully fitted to one's head and it made sense to go to a well-skilled optician. These days they're spring-loaded and the Lenscrafters people just slap them on you and say "Is that OK?" I can do that for myself!

Jilmac
07-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Natasha, I have two pairs of women's glasses, one clear, one sungalsses. I chose frames that looked best on me and had to try on many before I found tha ones that were just right. Perhaps you can do the same thing to choose a style that fits your facial features and enhances your femme persona.

I chose a pink metalic frame for my clear glasses and a red plastic frame for my sunglasses. Both make me look years younger and I've never regretted choosing femme frames.

PS I also have my male frames for when I'm in guy mode.

MelissaPaige
07-06-2012, 06:30 AM
I rarely contribute (and am rarely on here), but I clicked through and saw this so I thought I'd chip in!

My past four frames have been Chelsea Morgan, Anne Klein, Bebe, and Jessica Simpson. I'm a very picky frames shopper and try on all kinds. With those "female" choices, I've gotten major kudos from tons of people. The Jessica Simpsons netted a comment from a bagger at my local grocery store that I was ahead of the eyeglasses fashion curve!

Find the right pair that looks good, and you can wear them all the time--regardless of which gender section from which they came! Good luck finding your perfect pair!

BLUE ORCHID
07-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi Natasha, As I only wear reading glasses I can get womans style glasses at the dollar stores.

jillleanne
07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Hey, I'll be your friend too if you bring me $500 pure profit every couple of years! :)

LOL, Isn't that the truth! Just so Natsha knows, if she goes to Zenni, she can save any pair in favorites, and then expand the box to get details, i.e., width. My frames are 133 mm.wide which equate to my male frame size. Just measure your male frames. for width in MM's.

RainyNightGirl
07-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Ladies,

Thank you so much for your help. Time to go trying on a few pairs of glasses.

Hugs
Natasha
x

cassandra54
07-07-2012, 11:56 PM
I wear bifocals so I was a little hesitant about getting them online. I had some money left on my FSA and got a new prescription and new safety glasses from Lenscrafters. I also wanted to get some new girlie glasses.

My SO and I went to LensCrafters and Eye Masters. She wasn't much help in picking out new frames for Cassandra. Anyway I found a new frame at LensCrafters that I absolutely adored and found that I could get them much cheaper online. I was all set to order them online but I called LensCrafters (not the one I usually go to), and they had the frame in stock. I thought it might be best to try a pair on first.

So when I went into the store, I found them and tried them on. The sales lady said the Men's frames were on the other side and I said that was okay, that I wanted these. And so it went. She was very helpful, professional and I don't really think she even thought that I wanted women's frames because I dress up. She asked what kind of work I do and do I use a computer and so on. They have a computerized fitting system and she showed me that they would not work with my prescription for bifocals. The frame was just a little too short to fit the bifocals. I was getting a little frustrated, but relieved to find that I didn't order these particular frames on line and pay for something that wouldn't work.
I went to look for another frame. And there it was. An awesome Oakley women's frame. On clearance,my kind of style, fit my face and my prescription.

So with the 40% discount, I wound up paying $306 for a nice pair of prescription Oakleys, with transition lenses. All together about half price.

People with single vision or simple prescriptions can benefit greatly from buying glasses online. I think if you have bifocals though, you may want to get them fitted.

Bottom line though, I don't think people notice what you buy or even care.

Eryn
07-08-2012, 02:07 AM
So with the 40% discount, I wound up paying $306 for a nice pair of prescription Oakleys, with transition lenses. All together about half price.

People with single vision or simple prescriptions can benefit greatly from buying glasses online. I think if you have bifocals though, you may want to get them fitted..

I don't see bifocals or progressives as being harder to fit. They do make frame selection more difficult as there is a minimum height to accommodate the bifocal or progressive lens. I wear progressives in a rather strong prescription. On the Zenni website as soon as you enter your prescription it will automatically delete any frames that are unsuitable. That way, you aren't disappointed by selecting a frame that ultimately won't work with your prescription.

Like yours, my glasses at Lenscrafters cost about $300, after that huge "discount" that virtually every customer gets. My Zenni glasses with the same progressive high index lenses cost about $85. Considering that the only "fitting" they do at Lenscrafters is sliding the glasses onto my face (while looking very professional, of course!) I'm happy to save $215 and put them on myself.

Ally 2112
07-08-2012, 03:20 AM
I did not read all the post (sorry) but i bought myself a nice pair of glasses femme of course at the doller store when i want that look .Thet actually work for reading other than that i have my old man byfocals lol :)

cassandra54
07-08-2012, 07:30 AM
I don't see bifocals or progressives as being harder to fit. They do make frame selection more difficult as there is a minimum height to accommodate the bifocal or progressive lens. I wear progressives in a rather strong prescription. On the Zenni website as soon as you enter your prescription it will automatically delete any frames that are unsuitable. That way, you aren't disappointed by selecting a frame that ultimately won't work with your prescription.

Like yours, my glasses at Lenscrafters cost about $300, after that huge "discount" that virtually every customer gets. My Zenni glasses with the same progressive high index lenses cost about $85. Considering that the only "fitting" they do at Lenscrafters is sliding the glasses onto my face (while looking very professional, of course!) I'm happy to save $215 and put them on myself.

i might try that next time Eryn, but I wear lined bifocals. turns out that if i did order the frames i liked online, which could have been made into bifocals, would not have worked. the bifocal area would have been too small, or short i should say.

but i would definitely agree with you that there is a HUGE markup in glasses.

diannecourtney
07-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi ladies: I just love the amber tinted rimless glasses that the fast girls wear. I don't know whether they would be suitable for this CD, but I sure would like to try.

darla_g
07-11-2012, 07:27 AM
If you're uncomfortable about buying femme glasses in person you can use a website like Zinni Optical. You can even upload a picture to their site and try glasses on until you find a pair that suits you. The huge bonus is that the prices are very inexpensive. Glasses that would have cost over $300 at Lenscrafters cost less than $80 through Zinni.I agree with Eryn, I have bought lots of glasses at Zenni Optical (http://www.zennioptical.com/) and the service and cost has been wonderful. For single lens (not progressive or bifocals) the cost can be even less than the $80 that Eryn mentions. I have gotten good quality glasses for my son for like only $25. One shipping price so you might want to get one regular set and then maybe a femme set of glasses too. I think femme glasses rather than size. But speaking of size in order to get glasses you have your prescription which the optometrist gives you and then you need one other dimension that you measure yourself. Pupillary Distance (PD) is the measurement between the pupils of both your eyes. Have someone else measure you with a ruler and the measurement is in mm. There is also a category for size of frames too (S, M, L). The web site explains it all. Highly recommended.

vivian fair
07-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Lots of good advice, but a few years back I took my new perscription and went to a local,OKC, store told the lady clerk my desires and a few days later my fem glasses were sent to me. If your boy self needs glasses then the sweet side does also.

Cheryl T
07-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Measure your frames for their sizes and use that on one of the sites like ZenniOptical or Glassesshop.com.
When I have my annual exam I always ask the Dr for a copy of my Rx and then I can go on line and buy something nice at a discount. My last pair were from Glassesshop and with the frames, progressive lenses, UV coating, AR coating and shipping they were under $80 and are actually better than the ones the Dr made.

Patrice_CD
07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I have three sets of everyday frames I wear and all of them are off the women's rack. All of them were purchased from different stores with my last set being purchased from the UK. They aren't sold here in the US. They are my red frames. You really do need to try them on to see what looks best on you. I wish I could wear single vision but I don't. Progressive for me.

Oh and not to cause a stir but lenses are not all the same. You do get what you pay for. $50 set of lenses aren't even close to a $200 set. It's all in how clear you want to see and can afford.