PDA

View Full Version : (Help) Crossdressing at councilling?

Transboy
07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I really want to go dressed up to my councilling meeting tomorrow but i wont pass and dont know what to wear please help?

I wanna feel really girly

Eryn
07-04-2012, 04:25 PM
The point of going to counseling is to have an environment where you can be comfortable discussing your issues. If you're fretting about your clothing you'll get less from the counseling. Perhaps you should put off dressing up for your counseling session and discuss your concerns in this session. Your counselor might have some guidance that will allow both you and the counselor to be comfortable with your being dressed for the next session and therefore make the experience a positive one.

sandra-leigh
07-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I have gone in skirt or dress to many of my therapy sessions. It doesn't distract me, but I feel better. The part of therapy that is about learning to understand and accept your dressing, and to make decisions about where you want to go with it, can in some ways get to be a bit hypocritical if you refuse to give yourself permission to be yourself in therapy.

Eryn points out that some people might get distracted by the wearing of the clothes. On the other hand, wearing the clothes can also be a useful form of "play acting". For example, "Look at yourself, peer at your dress and heels and they belong to you. For this session, you are a Woman and you are safe. What is your name, miss? What do you have to talk about today, Becky-Sue?" I gather that simple props can help quite a bit for people to allow themselves to open up on topics they could not normally talk about.

The dressing was never just a prop for me, though: it was freedom. For the time, I could escape from the bonds of having to be male, could head towards how I wanted to live.

RylieCD
07-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I have "dressed" for a couple of sessions. It is a nice, safe place to get out dressed.

sometimes_miss
07-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Wear what you want. If it's a female you're going to see, she may even help you with your appearance. If it's a male, it won't effect him or his opinion of you.

JenniferR771
07-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree; discuss with your counselor in advance. is this one of the first meetings--or--are you well acquainted? Is he trained in gender problems? Or more of a generalist?

Mollyanne
07-06-2012, 06:24 AM
the following is true-----I was seeing a therapist for other issues not withstanding my "dressing" and said to her at the end of one session that "I have something to tell you the next time we meet" She looked at me quizingly but said nothing. The following week we met as usual, I took a deep breath and looked her straight in the eye and said to her; Here goes, I crossdress and LOVE IT!!!!! She looked at me, didn't say a word for a nanosecond and stated this session in the usual manner. My heart was pounding in my chest, my secret was out!!!!! I guess she saw the look of relief on my face and asked me what I liked to wear and how long I was doing this. I was honest w/her and told her EVERYTHING!!!!! I think you should talk to your councilor about how you feel.

Molly

Sheren Kelly
07-06-2012, 07:29 AM
I was honest w/her and told her EVERYTHING!!!!! I think you should talk to your councilor about how you feel. Molly

You have to feel free to be TOTALLY truthful with your counselor if you want to have any results. They work for you and their job is to help you, not judge you. When I was seeing a LCSW, I was in femme about half of all sessions. I think the advise above to go drab to your first session is good, but you could still wear something suggestive of your femininity (jewlery perhaps) to set the stage for discussing your gender issues.