PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to take Estradiol pill

emmicd
07-04-2012, 11:16 PM
I was just curious about this. What is the proper way to take estadiol pill. They are so tiny. Do you take it under the tounge and let dissolve or do you swallow it?
I would appreciate your feedback on this.

Thank you.

emmi

Jinny M
07-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Hi Emmi , I let mine disolve under my tounge , I was told it gets into the blood stream quicker and easier .

Jinny

kellycan27
07-04-2012, 11:42 PM
How about.... take as directed?

Nicki S
07-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Under your tongue is the best method. This way it will bypass the liver while in the digestive system. Estrogen can be tough on the liver, so any precaution is helpful.

LeaP
07-05-2012, 08:17 AM

I agree. Drug dosages (and effects) are tied to the administration method.

See National Institutes of Health regarding sublingual vs oral estradiol specifically:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9052581

[edit] disclaimer - I'm not on HRT yet. The comment is in regard to any drug.

Aprilrain
07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
I agree. Drug dosages (and effects) are tied to the administration method.

See National Institutes of Health regarding sublingual vs oral estradiol specifically:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9052581

[edit] disclaimer - I'm not on HRT yet. The comment is in regard to any drug.

Thanks Lea, this is very interesting. I was never directed one way or the other. The bottle just says take one pill by mouth three times daily. "Take" could mean under the tounge or swallow, perhaps they should be more specific!

danielleb
07-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I was "directed" to take them sublingually. If you have questions about it, you should discuss it with your doctor.

Tammy V
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I am on the patch but I discussed pills with my doctor as an alternative if the patches didn't work out. He seemed to imply that the sublingual estradial pill is different than the common estridial pill and I wonder if they are designed differently or its the same pill and just a different way of injesting it?

EnglishRose
07-05-2012, 10:53 AM

I do too. Under the tongue - mine literally just says "take (x) daily"

Sublingual micronized estradiol is available more quickly and passes through the liver less. Note Premarin and other conjugated estradiols won't work like this.

Stephenie S
07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
You know, we hear this liver stuff all the time.

Listen! Estrogen has GOT to be IN your blood steam to have ANY effect on your body at all.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of one QUART (think about it. A quart) of your blood flows through your liver EVERY MINUTE of every day 24/7. Your liver will be exposed to everything in your blood stream no matter how you take it. Injection, sub lingual, patch, by mouth, it matters not a wit. Take it however you wish and however is most convenient for you and your doc.

There is no "right" way.

Melissa Jill
07-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Listen! Estrogen has GOT to be IN your blood steam to have ANY effect on your body at all.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of one QUART (think about it. A quart) of your blood flows through your liver EVERY MINUTE of every day 24/7. Your liver will be exposed to everything in your blood stream no matter how you take it. Injection, sub lingual, patch, by mouth, it matters not a wit. Take it however you wish and however is most convenient for you and your doc.

There is no "right" way.

If taken sublingually it will get into the blood & enter the cells before first metabolism of the liver occurs, so in theory less stress on the liver occurs and it will have a higher bioavailability.

LeaP
07-05-2012, 01:57 PM

There is no "right" way.

This is misleading.

Your statement may have some validity for drugs in systemic circulation. Drugs entering through the digestive system, however, go through an entirely different process (hepatic portal), and THIS first pass is very different from a systemic first pass. (Technically, the concept of first pass only applies to the hepatic portal.). The point isn't just that blood goes through the liver, it's how and under what conditions.

It's so different that some drugs cannot be taken orally at all. Conversely, some drugs must be taken orally to take advantage of hepatic portal effects. So yes, it does matter - to what degree, and for which drugs is considered on a case-by-case basis. The effect on oral vs. sublingual estradiol is well-documented. It may matter a great deal on an individual basis, as anyone who has struggled through issues with an endo can testify. It is not "however you wish" and a matter of convenience! You may be asked your preference, and you may be a good candidate for any of the available administration routes, but that's not the same thing at all.

kellycan27
07-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Maybe it's just me but when it comes to medication I ask my doctor questions. I will also ask the pharmacist if I am not sure. When it comes to my health.. I want to know.

Traci Elizabeth
07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
How do you take a pill? Well, usually, I open my mouth and put the pill inside on my tongue, then I drink water to shallow it (lol). I do know some people stick it up their butt!

Ashlie Marie
07-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Traci That has to be the best answer of the day :-) and in case you all want to know 'I am a pharmacy tech and if u take the generic blue oval estrodial like i do, like the kind of the Walmart or rite aid 4 dollar list they are designed for introduction either way. Like someone said above other forms of estrogen are coated and will not dissolve under your tongue. and yup Melisa you are right on. taking it subligual is in close comparison to using the patch. by getting the e2 into your blood directly vs after your stomach breaks it down will have a better effect and put less stress on your whole system. As far as ifs its bad to do I have never heard that but when I see my endo this week I might have to drop the question :-) hugs all

Stephenie S
07-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Ask your endo, guys.

It matters not how you take it.

S

emmicd
07-06-2012, 01:52 AM
thanks for all your replies! i appreciate it. emmi

Stephanie-L
07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Ask your endo, guys.

It matters not how you take it.

S

Stephenie,
The authors of both my physiology and my pharmacology texts disagree with you, as well as several other physicians I have talked to. The "first pass effect" of drugs being affected by the liver when absorbed from the stomach or intestines is well documented and accepted by most of the medical community, as well as sublingual administration being used to avoid that effect. Also, if there is even a possible benefit, in this case higher plasma concentration of the drug and less damage to the liver, and no down side I can see, why not do it?

Here is a good explanation of the effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_pass_effect

Personally, I take mine sublingually.........Stephanie

Aprilrain
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
what about snorting them?...................no?

Kathryn Martin
07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I never even thought about this. Wow, the kind of things we worry about.

cathie pantyhose
07-06-2012, 05:11 PM
i suppose vaginally inserting them is out of the question...for now

Bree-asaurus
07-06-2012, 06:31 PM
what about snorting them?...................no?

*SNNIIIIIIFFFFF*

Ohhhh yeeeaaahhhh... makes my boobs hurt so good...

Hrmm... that might have snapped me out of 'menopause' REAL quick! lol

(and jesus April, you are looking prettier with every update!)

jackielou
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
i put mine under my tongue and have for years no problems

Joann Smith
07-06-2012, 08:51 PM
wash mine down with HENNEY !

Aprilrain
07-07-2012, 07:16 AM
*SNNIIIIIIFFFFF*

Ohhhh yeeeaaahhhh... makes my boobs hurt so good...

Hrmm... that might have snapped me out of 'menopause' REAL quick! lol

(and jesus April, you are looking prettier with every update!)

This made me Laugh out loud!:lol:

(and thank you for the compliment)

StephanieC
07-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Wow. I never thought about this either. Neither my doctor nor the pharmacist mentioned. I do know that my liver panels came back as better than normal. So my doctor indicated I shouldn't be overly concerned about the liver.

However, there was mention about the pituitary but any problems there usually have markers that show in the blood test.

I have more problems with the size of the pills...they can easily out of my hand. So I don't know if it makes much difference.

-stephani

Inna
07-07-2012, 10:34 AM
The PROPER Way to Take Estradiol Pill!

Have your battler carefully remove the pill from its container, placing it on the, preferably, white tissue of the finest cotton known to man kind. Further proceeding to fill a crystal short glass by no one less then Swarovski, with glacier pure fiord water on the rocks...............shaken, Not stirred!
When presented, take the pill into both, the index and thumb fingers, making sure that your pinky is rather fully extended, surely a manner you have acquired in deportment school.
Carefully and slowly place the pill on slightly extended tongue. Slowly close your eyes in the most delicious, sensual and blissful manner, additionally quietly sounding pleasure when breathing out.........................

Stephenie S
07-08-2012, 12:29 AM
OK, Inna.

This has got to be THE classic, finest, totally PROPER way to take your estrogen pill. I have NEVER heard of any thing better.

Perfect!! I congratulate you.