PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio

Melanie Sykes
07-05-2012, 06:14 AM
Hi everyone! I'm going to be taking a trip to San Antonio TX in the coming weeks, and am hugely looking forward to it. I imagine that Texas is a pretty hostile place for crossdressers, and I'm wondering whether I'm going to have to confine myself to my hotel room when dressed or if I'm going to be able to go out without being harrassed, beaten or killed. If you guessed that I've never been to Texas then you're right! Does anyone here have any insight into the general tolerance level in S.A.?

Since I'm going to be away from my family, I'm also going to take the opportunity to shave off the stubble and experiment with makeup and a wig for the first time ever! As I said, HUGELY looking forward to it! Any pointers to CD-friendly stores where I can get proper advice on makeup and/or choose a nice wig would be really appreciated. :)

Lastly, if any of you ladies are in the city and might like to meet for a drink and a chat, that would be marvellous! Drop me a PM and we'll arrange it.

:)
Mel

RobynB
07-05-2012, 07:24 AM
There is no or little hostility towards crossdressers in the major cities of Texas. Several years ago, I was crossesdressed with my wife and we ate at a restaurant on the River Walk with absolutely no problems.
Enjoy your stay in Texas.

nancigirl
07-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Of all the places i have been (en femme, including Boston, Chicago, New York City, Seattle, and many more..), San Antonio is by far my favourite place to go and the place i feel safest. I would qualify that only by saying, that a cd/tg should be careful to avoid the notoriously dangerous enclaves of the metro are (barrios especially). But if you go to the Riverwalk tourist area, your should be fine---especially of course if you pass well or "almost" pass as a woman. If you look obviously like a man in a dress, you should still be OK in that central tourist area. There are also some nice clubs in the SA area; there are the usual clubs for gay guys, but i don't like those because the can be noisy, rude and gross. However, the lesbian clubs there are very accepting of tg's and lots of fun.
So go out in SA as you wish---go to a nice restaurant on the Riverwalk, go to the Jazz Club on the Riverwalk, go to some select clubs, and have fun! If you want a great place to stay near the Riverwalk, try the "Painted Lady"---a B&B run by a lovely lesbian couple. However, do take a taxi from the B&B to the Riverwalk because the street there is a bit lonely and can be dangerous at night.
Hope this info helps you in your planning.

Melanie Sykes
07-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Thank you very much both - that's really helpful and encouraging. If anything exciting happens, like me getting a makeover and going out, I'll be sure to write about it here! Thanks again :)

TxCassie
07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I agree with the posts Melanie. There are the major hotels downtown, the Hilton, Marriott (there are two major Marriotts, right across the street from each other.), the Hyatt, all on the riverwalk. Of course, there is the Menger Hotel which is located to right next to the Alamo itself and in it's bar, where Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Roughriders. The Painted Lady is an excellent place to stay. It's on Broadway, a major avenue but at night, it is not advisable to be walking the sidewalks. The Painted Lady while in the downtown area, is not close to the tourist sites so being out on the street really wouldn't be beneficial to you. San Antonio is not overly TG friendly, but the city as a whole always had and still has a live and let live attitude. You may get a few "looks", but on whole, you should be ok if you stay in the populated tourist areas. I know of no stores that are TG friendly. I've looked. Matter of fact, last year, a transgurl was refused and pretty much expelled from the May's store at the Rivercenter Mall, which is the mall on the riverwalk by the Alamo. The SA, an older woman cited that her religion says transgenderism is "wrong".. .something that I can't understand, how can a person's essence be 'wrong"... oh well.. Macy did some PR damage control and the event did die down in the press, so I don't know what came of the conflict.

So, SA is really a hit and miss. If you can travel with someone who is supportive of your dressing, that probably be best. If not, daytime, tourist area would be the best place for you. If you pass well, even better.

Good Luck, Be Careful, and Have Fun.. San Antonio is a very nice place to have a pleasant time, endrab, as well as en femme,

Cassie

Sarah V
07-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Just sent you a PM. I live in town, and can give you some advice.

RenneB
07-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Definately hang out at the river walk. Dress like a tourist and you'll be good. Ya know... sneakers, capris and a smart top will let you blend in just fine...

Renne.....

donnatracey
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
And be prepared for some VERY, VERY hot weather......which can wreak havoc on your makeup.....:sad:

Like others have said, please be very careful after dark!