PDA

View Full Version : Silly to be concerned, but...

MissVictoria
07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
6 weeks ago today, I broke my ankle on both sides. I go to the dr. tomorrow for my 6 week follow up and to get the go-ahead for beginning physical therapy. I haven't been in a cast at all: after surgury, I had a splint for a week, and nerve damage concerns that prevented the dr. from casting me. I have fairly good up and down movement, limited side to side and no weight bearing yet. My concern stems from my ability to wearing my heels in the future. I have over 50 pairs of heels, all 3.5" and higher, and are, IMO, the single most fun aspect in my cding. Has anyone broken their ankle, and successfully traipsed around in CFM heels after therapy? My feet look far to large in anything shorter than 3.5", and flats are of absolutely no interest to me. Please alleviate my concerns.

StephanieC
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm not a doctor, no family member is a doctor, and I have not played one on TV. However, I can relate my recent experience. I recently found out I have arthritis in my big toe. The doctor described a treatment and never mentioned inability to wear heels (eventually). One doctor talked about a "sandal" for a short time until it healed, the other talked about a boot...just until it healed. One did mention that if that did not work, they could "fuse" the two bone which would mean no heels...but only because the bone would not bend.

Silly man, doesn't know the pain women will endure.

So assuming you will heal, I don't think you need to worry. Believe me, once those bones mend, they are pretty sturdy. Nerves or blood vessels might be another story.

Good luck on your recovery.

-stephani

darla_g
07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I have been through exactly what you have described. Surgery and then I was on crutches for 6 weeks and the only advice I can give you is to get physical therapy (PT) after you get off crutches. It makes a world of difference in your recovery.

You should eventually get enough strength back to wear heels but no HIGH heels until you get the strength back. The PT can give you exercises for both range of motion and strength.

Stephanie Michelle
07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
My GF broke her ankle and had surgery 2 years ago. PT and a lot if time helped her get back into her heels most of which are 4" and 5". Its a slow and painful recovery. Good luck and don't skimp on the PT.

Laura912
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
You most likely will be able to go to the heels but it will be some time. One risk you need to avoid is the lateral twist that can occur when walking in heels. Remember also that almost all of your weight is forward on the ball of your foot when wearing heels. When you start out, you might do a little better with some high wedges which are a little more stable. Once you are on full weight bearing, you most likely will be good to go.

Annie D
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night so here goes: once you have rehabbed your ankle and have started wearing shoes again and can walk with little or no pain put a makeup pad or sponge under your heel inside your shoe. By slightly elevating your heel you will get some sense of your pain tolerance and maneuverability. Cowboy boots have a slightly higher heel, then graduate to pumps and then to your beloved higher heels. Pain tolerance is probably your best indicator as to how you will proceed. Sorry about the injury and good luck. Of course, you would have been aware of everything I have said, had you spent the night at Holiday Inn.

TxCassie
07-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Back in the day, my mom broke a bone in her foot. After the recovery was complete, she stopped wearing the higher heels and kept to 3" or lower. She was already in her late 40s when she broke the bone. As she entered her 50s and definitely older, she kept to a minimal heel as she said, the pain she experience was annoying. I don't remember her receiving therapy for the injury.

Good Luck hon,

Cassie

Cheryl T
07-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Time will tell.

I recently had foot surgery and after searching and searching to find a Dr who would do the surgery with fusing my big toe I finally caved. I needed the surgery.
When first in his office he said, "Well, you don't wear high heels often, so it's not big deal". I chose not to tell him the truth. and while I did have to give up 2 pair of stilettos now, I found that all my other shoes and boots fit (over 25 pair), so it was really a small price to pay.

You may or may not be able to wear your beloved heels when all is said and done....BUT....You will be able to walk and you will have two feet....it could have been much worse than just giving up your heels.

Jennifer in CO
07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
ok...time for lil fib to the Dr.
Tell them (in a "maybe, maybe not" attitude);
"that a friend said she broke her ankle and when she got the cast off her Dr told her to wear as high a heel as comfortably possible to stretch the tendons back out and that maybe I should wear something with some heel on it to help "loosen things up"?....Maybe he'd agree and joking say you should try it!
Now truth be told, when one of my horses stepped on my foot, my Dr did recommend I wear "nothing more than a clog" while my foot healed. Now she probably only meant a slip-on, but hey...she said "clog" so I took her at her word and my wife heard her. As this was well before Crocs, the only thing out there in a clog was definitely girls. Well, after 6 weeks I had 3 pair and got pretty comfortable in 2" block heels and everyone in the family (and work) got used to me in girls shoes.
So offer some "suggestions" to the Dr on what shoes you should wear during you recuperation.

Jenn

DonnaT
07-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Everyone is different. It depends on how well the bones were aligned and mended. It also depends on whether you damaged any tendons. PT will help determine how you are progressing.

I sprained my right ankle real bad, which made wearing heels difficult after I healed. I had a stroke a couple of years after that, and now that ankle gives me fits even in tennis shoes. Heels are out. Thinking about getting an MRI to see if the tendons are unraveling.

Diane Smith
07-08-2012, 02:32 AM
My launching pad into wearing heels nearly full time was breaking a bone in my left foot in the fall of 2002. While it was healing, I discovered that wearing modestly high heels (3" or so) was actually more comfortable than my usual trainers. I stayed in heels after that and got back to my preferred heights within a few weeks.

But that wasn't an ankle, much less two of them, and every injury, and individual, are different. Do the PT and your own exercises and hopefully you can get back into spikes soon.

- Diane

DAVIDA
07-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Well, unfortunately, I have had just the same injury that you have described.:doh:
I broke my left ankle on both sides too.
They put pins on the inside and a plate with screws on the tibia to straighten and hold it.
I went NINE WEEKS with no weight.
It was a horrible experience.
After I was able to put weight on it, I wore pretty much nothing but flip-flops for about a year.
I had a lot of problems with the ankle and over three years, I had three more operations and finally ended up having the hardware on th tibia taken out.
The tibia is still broken and will never hael unless they put more metal in, along with a bone graft. The Dr doesn't want to do that unless it gives me trouble.
That said, I can now wear heels with no trouble.
I just hope that doing so doesn't move the bone anymore than it already has.
Just do what your Dr says and be extremely careful.
It will take a while before you are back into you heels, but it will come.:thumbsup:
Take care and have patience.:D

BLUE ORCHID
07-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Kimberly, Do yourself a big favorand don't rush it let the bones heal completly .

Esteafanie
07-09-2012, 07:38 AM
OMG!!! What a nightmare!!! hope you recover quick, trust PT, is the best and the only way to get better, it is painnnnful but worth it. Couldn't imagine not being able to wear 3"+ stills, they feel awesome. My advice, suffered similar sport injuries before and recovery was grueling, specially when you want to get back to that activity you love while in hiatus. Just remember before giving in to the urges that abstinence is for the greater good!!!! wish you a prompt and speedy recovery. ;)

MissVictoria
08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I've actually been away and couldn't post sooner. I am 11 weeks post surgery, been walking without aide for 3 weeks, and have almost full use of my ankle. I was never in a cast, just a splint for a week. I have spoke to both my Dr. and PT about my concerns, and they say it shouldn't be a problem once it heals. Anyway, I have put them on while playing with my wife, and didn't feel any pain with the bend of the ankle, but I have yet to walk in them. I definitely agree that my affectioin for heels is not worth possible irreversable damage. Thank you all again for your input!!