PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to Come Out in DC

SillyLilly
07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Hello everyone!
I don't feel fully confident using these forums yet, but this post is the biggest reason why I've joined crossdressers.com. Without giving away too much of my life story in one fell swoop, I'm a 23-year old undergrad who's been stuck living with my parents after graduation due to this economy. This has put a damper on the first cautious forays into dressing that I explored during my last two years at college, as well as the progression into counseling to help myself discover just what I want out of these desires. I had even been in the process of coming out to certain people (all girl friends, not girlfriends) and gaining confidence from shopping trips with them. This was a great boon to me, since, outside of certain places in the South, it's really hard to find acceptance like that. And I know that I'd like to be more public with my feminine persona, whether it's a casual thing or more dedicated, because I've heard too many stories about suppressing it until it's too late.

However, there's been a silver lining recently, i.e. graduate school! I'm happy to say that I'm moving up to the Washington DC area (though it's hard to tell where what city begins and what ends up there...) into a little single room apartment where I can dress to my little hearts content! But, yet again, I'd like to actually get to know other people and socialize a little, instead of staying cooped up and hidden only in my apartment. While I'm hoping to use my schools LGBT community to connect, I'm also wanting to speak out here. So this is my question/plea-for-help/kinda-introduction-except-I-already-did-that. Can any girls tell me about the DC scene? Places to buy clothes from? Good clubs to dress at? Places to meet others like me or don't mind? Or, does anyone from the DC area just want to start a conversation? I'd love to make some friends that are in the area before the semester starts and I actually move up there. Fellow shoppers, clubbing buddies, or mentors are hard to find, you know! ;P

LIKETODRESS2
07-06-2012, 12:45 AM
I cant help you wiht the Dc area as i am in Montana . Just becareful and I hope you can find one to help u out there to help you. good luck

Ashley D.
07-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Hi, I can't tell you anything about DC.
But I will say try to find what you want out of life when your young.

Beverley Sims
07-06-2012, 06:12 AM
I think you have the right idea already.
Tread slowly and carefully.
Read and re read some of the advice given on this forum.
Yes the LGBT support at school will help you find like minded and caring people.
Trolling or just asking around is frought with danger as you can get sucked in.
DC is a govt business city and probably not as accepting as San Francisco or L.A. but there are places to go and friendly as well.
More than likely suburbs south of the border would be helpful.
A bit of searching on the internet and then ask again here as to what a place is like is also helpful.
Be public with your persona by all means, but do it gradually and not too FAST!!!:)

Sheren Kelly
07-06-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm here in DC and other than the heat, the TG climate is fine!

You should connect with The Trans Gender Education Association (http://www.tgea.net). TGEA is an "open" group for all T people and their partners. They meet in Arlington on the first Saturday of each month. You can dress there if your circumstances don't allow at your apartment. Many go out to T friendly places after the meeting (like Freddie's in Crystal City or Zigfield's in DC).

SillyLilly
07-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the advice everyone! It's nice to see that this place is as warm and friendly as I thought it would be. ^_^ I didn't know about TGEA before and I'm glad to hear of it. Are there many people my age that go there? I admit that one of my concerns is finding people my age to explore this with. While I still don't know what mixture of sexual or comfortable femme feelings I want in my life, I do know I want the option to explore both options. It's nice to hear about DC being such a friendly city, though I admit I am worried about the government side of things. After all, if I want to get a job in government after graduation, I don't know how much being femme will hurt that.

DonnaT
07-07-2012, 06:51 AM
I haven't hung out in DC. Too old ;)

Dupont Circle has several clubs and is one area where a lot of girls hangout.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupont_Circle#High_Heel_Race

DC has anti-discrimination laws. So you can (supposed to be able to) shop anywhere.

http://www.guidemag.com/Travel/washington-dc/Guide

Sheren Kelly
07-07-2012, 09:51 AM
TGEA has a mix of people, but most tend to be in their 30s-40s. The meetings are non-sexual so members can feel comfortable exploring their identities without being hit on (after meeting encounters are another matter). The raison d'etre of TGEA is to offer T people a safe place to explore and develop their gender expression.

There are other groups in the area as well;
MAGIC is a TS support group that meets in Falls Church and is open to all TG, but is focused on life and transition issues.
PFLAG hosts a Transfamily group every month in Fairfax focused on family issues and may have younger participation as T people seem to be coming out earlier these days.

Check the TGEA website for links to these groups.

As for Govt work, there are non-discrimination policies, but I would suggest that first you secure your job in your conventional gender before opening up the transgender complications. Once you have a good work history, you have a stronger position to defend your job.

bobbimo
07-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Washington!
Take a look at URNA
http://articles.urnotalone.com/main.php.
From there you can join at differnent levels and search for members within a distance from your zip code.
I work in Alexandria, and chat with many gurls up there.
Have fun

flatlander_48
07-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I've visited DC a number of times, albeit before I did any crossdressing, as my daughter lived there a few years before and after graduate school. Definitely seems to be generally quite tolerant. Until yesterday, I had not been there in close to 10 years. I stayed overnight in the DC area as it is about halfway between my home and where I was going in North Carolina.

Whenever I visit a new place, I usually seek out the local lgbt bookstore. The place to be in DC was the Lambda Rising Bookstore. Sad to find out that the long-running and very respected book store closed about a year and a half ago.

Good sources of local information for the lgbt community are:

http://www.washingtonblade.com/
http://www.metroweekly.com/

Good Luck!