PDA

View Full Version : The one big giveaway!

Gemma Rhodes
11-16-2005, 07:22 AM
I am planning a little outing at the weekend. Nothing too flash just a drive to an out of town shopping centre and maybe a little wander around but no matter how convincing we feel we may look or how much care and attention we take in our dressing and make-up, as soon as I open my mouth all this is undone.

I was even recording myself last night and practising "putting on a femme voice". How do you girls who get out and about cope with this. Are you skilled now at putting on a femme voice or do you just not give a damn anymore.

Jamie M
11-16-2005, 07:40 AM
It's been a while now since i went out. the last time i did must been been a good eight years ago and at that point i had the distinct attitude of i don't give a damn . Of course it wasn't always this way and to start with i did try and put on a soft voice and try to be all girly with my voice . I think what changed my mind was , like you , i tried recording it and discovered to my horror that it was unbelievably comical , so i just thought what the hay ? nothing i sound like normally could be as bad as that ;)

GypsyKaren
11-16-2005, 08:20 AM
I just don't worry about it anymore. I used to try talking softer, but no one could hear me right and I had to keep repeating myself. I can't make my voice any different than it is, so I just talk normal and go about my business.

GypsyKaren

HaleyPink2000
11-16-2005, 08:58 AM
I think people have different voices nothing can be construed as strange in a persons voice. I know born females that have lower voices than I do. I know females that are 6 foot 6 inches that have very sexy little voices. Also GG's that are 4 foot 9 inches that have very male sounding voices. I really don't think of trying to change my voice. People say to me many times on the phone, Ma'am can I help you or things like that. So I figure my voice is good enough.

When shopping for clothing via telephone. The woman say's to me " Haley,
you are always so nice to deal with Ma'am ". So again I get and take my Q's from how people perceive me.

Haley:)

Holly
11-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Gemma... hope yopu have a wonderful time out this weekend. I'm from the don't give a darn, anymore catagory. I do speak a little softer, but have given up trying to change the register of my voice. But I do try and choose my words carefully and use words women use and stay away from phrases more in line with male conversation.

TGMarla
11-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Gemma, I know what you're getting at here, despite all the advice you're getting to the contrary. They're probably all correct, as they all have the experience I do not have. But were I venturing out, I'd have the same concern. At least with an adam's apple, you can throw on a turtleneck. Not so for a voice. And when I hear a disembodied voice, say on the radio or something, I can usually quickly discern gender from it. Your concern is that the moment you utter a "boo!", you're gonna get read. I get that. I wish I had some constructive advice for you, but unfortunately, I don't. One cannot run around pretending to be a mute, or have laryngitis, or put on a falsetto, whispered, husky and obviously contrived voice, either. I'm sure that it's probably best to speak to as few people as is possible. As for the times when it's impossible, well, perhaps that's the risk we take. Good luck. I hope the experience is an all-positive one for you.