PDA

View Full Version : Negative from a positive. Need some help!

Lori31
07-09-2012, 11:25 PM
I have a problem that I need some help on. I currently live at home. As a result, my crossdressing is very much on the down low or "in the closet". My time devoted to it is little to none at this point. And I do it at home or out and about on my days off from work. And especially when family is not around. I currently store my collection in rubbermaid type containers in my bedroom closet. I have pretty decent privacy. So to the best of my knowledge, my "stash" has not been found.

I am currently looking for an apartment for myself. I am a single guy by the way. If all goes according to plan I will be in there by the end of the summer, early fall. I am happy because my dressing will skyrocket! And I will be able to do it pretty much whenever I want! Yippee!

The place I am looking at is the top floor of a 2 story house. With my own entrance. It is a bachelor pad. It is pretty sizeable. But the bathroom is the only seperate room in the place. It is all open concept. It doesn't even have 1 closet either.

Now here is the problem(s).

1) Family will probably help me move. So how do I transport my stuff to the new place undetected? I think I can get around this fairly easily.

2) Where do I store my clothes in the place when I have friends and or family over?

Any suggestions?

Ava Tryptyk
07-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't have personal experience with this, but I would think to get some sort of a bin, preferably an opaque one so that others can't see what is in it. I don't know how many femme items you have, but if they all will fit in that bin, that would be good. If your parents are curious about what's in the bin, you could put some stuff on top like books and just say they are some old books, sentimental items, or something like that. But since you say that you've been using rubbermaid containers for a while and you haven't been caught, it sounds like your parents aren't the type to snoop around. Or, if you want an excuse, you could say that they are some things your friend wanted you to hold for him. You could even say a female friend if you want to be on the safe side. As for storing the clothes, I guess you could put them back in the bin, even though that will be annoying if you had already hung your clothes up nicely. Since you aren't going to have a closet, I guess the bin will have to go under the bed.

Mistybtm
07-10-2012, 12:03 AM
1. Find a true 1 bedroom Apt.

2. Get one of those portable closets with shelves you can lock.

3. Don't have any visitors.

Sophia Claire
07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Not to worry, my dear, I come bearing gifts (or a couple of ideas, anyway)! I've actually dealt with problems like this before. Okay, I imagine you have a car? Stick the stuff in the boot and then just make sure that you beat your folks to those containers. Take charge of the move! It's your move, and so you need to be able to do it your way! >: | Plus, it gives you the opportunity to make sure that they don't mess with your stuff. As for the storage, I don't know what area you have marked off for your closet, but here's what I did when I was faced with this situation: I got a bunch of wall shelves and put them in the wall behind my bed's headboard. I measured out a comfortable distance from the wall shelves and marked the ceiling for a panel track. I went to the far end of the room and measured out what I felt was a reasonable entry space and marked that on the ceiling as the end of the panel track, so it ran nearly the length of the room. See what I'm saying? Once I hung the wall shelves (which included a rod for hangers and clothes that hang on them), I put in a couple of really cheap cloth panels in the tracks and added a couple of lights in there and moved the bed against the panels. Boom. Monster closet. I got the idea at an Ikea, I think. It was a long time ago. But if you feel the need for a little extra security, you could always get a chest to go at the foot of your bed.

Brenda79135
07-10-2012, 05:36 AM
An open floor plan can be such a pain. There are several things you can do. You can buy a shunk (german for stand-alone closet) that would meeat you needs. The only problem is they are not cheap. When you don move out, you have to figure out what to do with it. Are you handy with tools? If you are you can cut expenses by getting screen door framing. It allows you to build panels any size with any material you want. This would be an inexepensive why to create partitions to make a bedroom, closet or any other room you may need. This is simular to what the Japenese do with their rice paper panels. With the screen door framing and 'L' brackets (for corners), tying into the walls will be a minimum. Once the panels are up, and depending on the material you use, they can be decorated any way you want with material paint of regular paint. This will allow the artist you come out and give you something to do while dressed.

BobbieBrooks
07-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Keep looking. LOL Apt will be rented by the time you are ready to move away.

BobbieB

Karren H
07-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Rent a storage unit. Small ones can go for as little as $30 a month. Move your stuff there before hand and then to your new apt after your family moves you in. If your new place is the top floor... See if you have access to the attic or a secure storage area where you can keep things locked up when visitors come.

Mollyanne
07-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Don't invite in!!!!!!

Molly

janet54
07-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Karen. You took the words right out of my mouth. Good advice.

jillleanne
07-10-2012, 07:38 AM
1. Tell them you are sick.
2. Tell them you are not home.
3. Tell them you already have too many people over.
4. Tell them your sick grandmother has gout and she contracted herpies when she fell off the headboard and it's probably not a good idea this week.
5. Get a chest or hope chest type of storage box to put at the end of the bed that can accomodate a lock. If asked about the lock, just say it's to get people to steal the chest instead of the cash box in your dresser drawer.
6. Find another apartment.

As for moving the stuff, green garbage bags work well.

Laura912
07-10-2012, 09:25 AM
There are under the bed storage boxes that one can buy. If you are able, build some. If you build them, you can put in false bottoms or backs and keep things there. By getting rid of the box springs and frame under a queen sized bed, one can gain a lot of space. Arrange them to open to the foot of the bed for the first to boxes, and for the back two, open to each side. You can also easily install a non mortising lock on some of the drawers. If you need more guidance send me a PM.

kimdl93
07-10-2012, 10:09 AM
first of all, to transport, get some boxes or cheap luggage. you'll need the latter sooner or later. As for the bachelorette pad, I'd get some wardrobes - maybe a couple, to store your things. These could either be antique wardrobes or amoires. Both can be purchased cheaply and some even have locks.

sterling12
07-10-2012, 10:48 AM
After you have temporarily hidden your stuff at The Storage Facility, I think I'd be asking The Landlord to supply one of those portable, lockable storage closets. Think they used to be called a wardrobe. It's certainly reasonable to expect some PRIVATE storage area in a rented apartment. (By the way, whether relative or someone else, unless given written permission, no landlord has the right to be in your apartment, except during an emergency that would require repairs.) Unless your getting this place for next to nothing, I'd be bangin' on your host to get you one. If this is an unreasonable request, I think you can pick one up at Home Depot for less than a hundred.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Beverley Sims
07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I would look for a private room situation.
Not a shared space situation.
Otherwise you are better off at home.

DonnaT
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Tape all boxes shut, real well. No risk of anyone looking in them.

There are stores, like the Container Store, Wal-Mart, The Home Depot, etc., (google "portable closet") that sell portable closets. A rack surrounded by a zippered fabric cover. Small luggage locks can be used to lock the zipper closed (may need to sew a ring at the end of the zipper).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-60-Clothes-Closet/21099529

http://www.closets-organizers.net/closet-portable/closet-portable-5/

http://www.abchomestore.com/item--36-In-Portable-Storage-Closet-SC00158-HDSFS--SC00158hds.html