PDA

View Full Version : "It was a joke"

prettytoes
07-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I was at a neighborhood picnic this past weekend with my wife. There was a really cute little boy maybe about 3 years old. He was very excited and eager to show everyone his toenails, which were bright blue. He had a great big smile and held his feet up to show everyone his pedicure.
His father seemed to be a bit embarrassed about it and told everyone that his older sister did it and that "it was a joke".
I just don't see the problem with it. The little boy seemed just as excited as I am when I have a new pedicure...except I can't show them off because of all the "macho B.S." His father acted as if this was very wrong. I think a little color would do many men a lot of good. I know that I personally feel much better with my toes nicely polished, and it also shows that I care about how I look. I am just not ready for the stares and the negative implications brought on by showing off a nice pedi.

Ashley in Virginia
07-16-2012, 07:33 PM
So the little boy had more guts than you?.... (im just kidding)

Just rock it. Screw what people think. Do you need anything from them?.... do you want anything from them?. As long as the people that matter dont care, **** everyone else's opinion. Now, im fully aware its easier said than done, but really, most people wont notice and even fewer will actually say anything. If they do, just make a joke and move on.

Pretty Nails
07-16-2012, 07:36 PM
I paint may toes all the time. I love the colors. I just wish I could "artsy" them up a bit - I'm not going to be a nail "artist" anytime soon. I have been to the pool and camping with the family - toenails painted up nice. My wife does let me indulge in this and I must say I have gotten alot of looks and even some "nice toes" or I like that color" from the ladies. Men just look funny and most don't have the balls to ask about it. The few that do ask don't seem to be fazed much - they just want to know if me or my kids did it. When I first started I blamed my girls but now I just fess up and let people know that I just like to do it.

Go ahead and show off your toes. I wont do it everywhere but I have gotten alot more comfortable and show mine off more - I mostly panic now about how good a polishing job I did or if they look horrid.

I hope the dad does'nt crush the boys creativity or make him feel bad about it.

sissystephanie
07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I have had manicures and pedicures for many years. My fingers are always a pale pink, but my toes are usually a bright shade of red! And living in Georgia as I do, much of the day time I am wearing open toe sandals so people can see my pretty toes. Never once has anyone made a negative comment about my toes being painted. I have had compliments about how pretty they are!!

Jacqueline Winona
07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Funny story! The dad just isn't like us, and doesn't understnad why his son would like to have painted nails. All harmless I agree, but some fathers just aren't into it.

Richelle
07-16-2012, 11:08 PM
I am with Stephanie. Generally people do not care if you have nail polish on. Just go for it

Richelle

Lorileah
07-16-2012, 11:16 PM
when the kid grows up to be an NBA all-star (Dwayne Wade, Charles Barkley, Ray Allen) or UFC champion (Chuck Liddell) maybe it won't be a joke. Then again when he makes fun of his child and the kid grows up to be a social outcast that will be funny...ha ha thanks Dad

Duana
07-16-2012, 11:19 PM
I know that I personally feel much better with my toes nicely polished, and it also shows that I care about how I look. I am just not ready for the stares and the negative implications brought on by showing off a nice pedi.

Why not try living your avatar?

Tracii G
07-16-2012, 11:23 PM
I show mine painted nobody says anything.

Vickie_CDTV
07-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Because (most/all) other cisgender people there will think having painted toes it is "gay", he is worried others will think his son is gay; if people think his son is gay, the father will worry people will assume he is not a good father and raising his son "right". It is not uncommon for fathers with gay sons feel this way, even though it has nothing to do with whether they were a good father or not, but that is still the perception of the population at large.

Jeanna
07-17-2012, 04:46 AM
There are places I've been to where I will show my polished toes and there are places where I'm scared to be alone with steel toe work boots. In my own yard or house, no problem but when in public, I go all the way as a woman should.

noeleena
07-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Hi,

Well surprise surprise, Our grandchild has his done in black & hes comeing up 3 y , I wonder what the big deal is ,]

& he's had all his hair shaved off as well his head of cause.

Sounds like some men dont wont thier kids to ....be kids....how sad for them, that kid'e was not bothered, so why his dad.

...noeleena...

STACY B
07-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I say if ya cant show them your Pedi ,,,Maybe ya need to find new friends ? Im just saying ,,, I did that other crap an it dont get no better ,,,Just the same year after year ,,, Jump,,,, Live ,,,, It great ,,,

linda allen
07-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Because (most/all) other cisgender people there will think having painted toes it is "gay", he is worried others will think his son is gay; if people think his son is gay, the father will worry people will assume he is not a good father and raising his son "right". It is not uncommon for fathers with gay sons feel this way, even though it has nothing to do with whether they were a good father or not, but that is still the perception of the population at large.

That's the reality of it. That and the possible teasing and bullying that the son will get from other children.

It's a cruel world out there, like it or not.

Karren H
07-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Children have no preconception of embarrassment..... they have to be taught that by us.....

Babette
07-17-2012, 07:16 AM
My toenails and fingernails were painted often when I was little. Seriously, there is no harm in doing so. Let the children be children for goodness sake!

Babette

Cynthia Anne
07-17-2012, 07:37 AM
My toes have been painted for more years then I care to count! I don't show them off but neither do I hide them!

Debglam
07-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Children have no preconception of embarrassment..... they have to be taught that by us.....

Ain't that the truth!!!

I would have told the little guy that "your toes are AWESOME and isn't it fun to be colorful!"

EllieOPKS
07-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I am happy for the little guy. And thumbs up to his big sister. Now that his Dad has survived without criticism, maybe he will relax a little.

avant1465
07-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Each winter, my nephew comes to visit, here in Florida, with his wife and kids. When she was about 6 YO, the older (a girl) was doing "manicures" for herself and her Grammy (my sister) while I was napping on the couch. She took the liberty to paint my toenails.... an assortment of red, blue and green. Since then, it has become a tradition that, when they visit, my grand-niece gives me a "pedicure" (She's actually gotten quite good at it!!!)....

giuseppina
07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Funny story! The dad just isn't like us, and doesn't understnad why his son would like to have painted nails. All harmless I agree, but some fathers just aren't into it.

Societal conditioning has made this father a little uptight about his son's nails. It's an experiment, nothing else. Let kids be themselves.

Exactly. The same goes for other things like prejudice.

My toenails and fingernails were painted often when I was little. Seriously, there is no harm in doing so. Let the children be children for goodness sake!

Babette

Exactly. My nails were polished too, on the days I was sick at home from school. Most of the time, I removed it before anyone got home. Mother was not pleased when she saw me with polished nails.

I am happy for the little guy. And thumbs up to his big sister. Now that his Dad has survived without criticism, maybe he will relax a little.

I am too. Let's hope the father learned something.