PDA

View Full Version : Nine Nails to Manicure

Persephone
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I was in my office, probably reading this forum, and somehow, I really don't know how, my left thumbnail hit something -- hard -- and ripped off of my nailbed.

I wasn't very detail oriented at the time. I didn't even realized the entire nail had been ripped loose. All I knew was that it hurt! Big time!

I jumped up, knocking my chair back onto the floor, grabbed my thumb, wimpered a lot, and ran to the freezer for an icepack.

When I examined it there was a corner of the nail that was now resting on top of my cuticle instead of under it.

I was paniced. What if I'd destroyed my cuticle? What if my nail never grew back properly ever again?

Decided I'd better go to Urgent Care. Maybe they could save my cuticle.

I wasn't dressed en femme at the moment and debated throwing on a top and shorts, but that would have required a shave, makeup, hair, etc. and I figured saving my poor dear cuticle outweighed my appearance at the doctors.

So we roared off to the docs.

The doctor turned out to be a very nice young man, built a bit like a brick refrigerator, with a little goatee and a delightfully cheery disposition.

He looked my acrylic covered nail over and said "I'm afraid that's going to have to come off."

He said something about the acrylic and I said, "I've had 'em that way for fifteen years."

He said, "And this is the first time this has happened to you?"

When I said yes, he said, "I'm amazed! I've had other patents, mostly women, who've had it happen and I surprised that after fifteen years this is the first time it has happend to you."

He proceeded to inject a local anesthetic into my thumb, after which he left for a few minutes while the anesthetic kicked in.

When he came back I said, "You've been very professional, but I know you may be personally curious about my nails."

He said, "I may be, but it isn't any of my business."

"Well," I said, "I appreciate that, but I feel I should satisfy your curiousity. I'm transgendered."

"Ah," he said, "That would explain. I'm part Pacific Islander and out there we have a lot of different kinds of people and we believe its all cool."

We went on to banter a bit about all sorts of subjects as he yanked off my nail and finished up.

I told him I'd look for him again the next time I did something stupid. He said he'd look forward to it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/NineNails.jpg

Hugs,
Persephone.

BLUE ORCHID
07-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Oh My , That hurt just reading about it.
Did he think that it's going to grow out ok??

Lorileah
07-17-2012, 03:12 PM
OUCH! That hurts!

I have lost both of my big toe nails. One grew back a little more curved than before. The other grew back a little less curved, but they grew back.

Me too!!! One was when I was playing goal in field hockey the other because I was stupid and wore jogging shoes in the barn. They both grew back one is a little rough.

and Persephone yours will too but I hope it will be normal...in about 8-10 months.

Persephone
07-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Yep, that hurt!

The doc seemed quite certain that the new nail will grow in just fine. Once he took my nail off I could see that the portion of the cuticle I'd been so worried about did not appear to have been permanently harmed, so I am hopeful that he is correct.

But it will take around three months for the nail to grow back. :sad: He said that I couldn't apply acrylic to the nailbed in the meantime. I asked him about polish and he said "No."

Here's what it looks like today:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/BigNail.jpg

(Just kidding! That's my other hand.)

Hugs,
Persephone.

giuseppina
07-17-2012, 03:20 PM
That had to be a painful experience until you got the anaesthetic. Unfortuneately, it's going to be tender for a while.

It usually takes four to six months for a fingernail to regrow completely, longer for toenails as they don't grow as fast.

I lose toenails from time to time, usually because I unwittingly kick something with no shoes on. Yes, it's painful for a while.

BLUE ORCHID
07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
That new thumb nail looks fantatic it's hardly even noticeable.

Cynthia Anne
07-17-2012, 11:05 PM
OUCH! I once sanded one completely off! That's a new kind of pain there! I'm glad you had such a great docter! Hugs!

Eryn
07-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Looking on the bright side, for the next couple of months you'll save 10% at the nail salon! :)

You should show off those "consolation shoes" you bought :)

BillieJoEllen
07-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Although my thumbnail didn't have acrylics on it I did lose my nail in a factory about five months before we got married. It was a crushing, sliding injury. It took all of sixteen months for the nail to grow back. Nails grow slower than hair. Of course I'm fairly large and tall so it probably took longer than for someone who is shorter.

Hope you heal quickly Persephone.

kimdl93
07-20-2012, 12:01 PM
my stomach is still cringing.....ouch!

Laura912
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Looks like y'all hit the nail on the head here. Would not want to get hung up on this. Subject could become a bit ingrown. Could be filed down to a fine point and buffed some. (Too many polyurethane fumes?). Nyuk Nyuk.

Diane Smith
07-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch! I occasionally dream about something like that happening to me. It hasn't yet, though.

My nail tech has a client with a missing finger, so she has only nine nails to service. I've seen her at the salon a few times while waiting for my appointments, but I've never had the nerve to ask whether she gets a 10% discount. :)

You have my sympathy while it grows back out. Good luck.

- Diane

PretzelGirl
07-21-2012, 08:18 AM
That new thumb nail looks fantatic it's hardly even noticeable.

Well, once the swelling goes down anyway....