PDA

View Full Version : in the supermarket today

Princess29
07-18-2012, 07:39 PM
A little while ago, I went to a nearby supermarket to get a few things and I saw a man in there, going for the definate "dude in a skirt" look. There was no mistaking that he was presenting as male but he had a skirt on and his slip was showing too.
Most people didnt seem to give a stuff and he just went about doing his thing

Princess Chantal
07-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Seeing the lack of reaction to that form of crossdressing, does it inspire you to experiment in that type of presentation?

BLUE ORCHID
07-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi Princess, RE: dressing for me it's all the way or nothing.

Cynthia Anne
07-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Very cool! But it sure wasn't me! I guess he was just being himself!

Jacqueline Winona
07-18-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm all lost i nthe supermarket, I can no longer shop happily (sorry, couldn't resist!). Points to whomever remembers that one.

dragdoll
07-19-2012, 02:16 AM
Maybe he was from Scotland

P.S. Janice, THE CLASH. I love that song.

ReineD
07-19-2012, 03:00 AM
Good for him! He's helping to redefine traditional men's styles!

If more men get into this, we might get to a point where it will be no big deal for a guy to wear a skirt, ever. :)

Princess29
07-19-2012, 06:26 AM
its funny that at that same supermarket, I've seen another cd'r there one time and there is a tg couple who shop there too (one of them works at the same airport as me and lives on the same street apparantly). I've never gone in there in girl mode and never will so long as I live where I do.

kimdl93
07-19-2012, 09:43 AM
People may have noticed, some may have been amused and some offended. But people, by and large, tend to mind their own business. That's a good thing.

ReineD
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I LOVE this...Most people didn't give a STUFF! :)

Kuddos to him. That is the true essence of cross dressing.

I don't think it's crossdressing at all! :)

If we live in an age where it is becoming acceptable for men to wear skirts as men, then it means that men's styles are being redefined, in the same way that women's styles were redefined when they began to wear pants. This guy was still presenting as a man, so he did not cross any gender lines.

http://www.zappos.com/mountain-hardwear-elkommando-kilt-otter
http://images.nymag.com/daily/fashion/20081231_mjskirt_250x375.jpg

Similarly, during the late 1960s men were not crossdressing when they had long hair and wore love beads, colorful pants and sarongs:

http://vietnamartwork.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/hippie.jpg

Take a look at John Lennon's shirt: :)

http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/music/pages/beatles-hippies.shtml

Karren H
07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Must have lost a big bet!!

RADER
07-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Good for him! He's helping to redefine traditional men's styles!

If more men get into this, we might get to a point where it will be no big deal for a guy to wear a skirt, ever. :)

O' I hope you are correct on that point. It would sure make my day.
Rader

sissystephanie
07-19-2012, 05:45 PM
I rarely wear slips, but I am usually out in public every day wearing a skirt and top. No makeup and no wig, just a guy dressed enfemme. Been doing that for over 7 years now, and have never had any problem! I have been a crossdresser for over 60 years, and when my wife was alive I went out looking like a real female. She could make me look like that!! I cannot do that, so I don't even try!!

For those who are wondering, it is no big deal for a man to wear a skirt, IF HE ACTS LIKE HE BELONGS IN IT!! Attitude is everything. I am ME, and what I wear is my business and only mine as long as I am decently covered!!

Aprilrain
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM
he had a skirt on and his slip was showing too.

and you wonder why people frown on CDing!

ReineD
07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Ooops, a slip. I missed that. Here I was, thinking that he was wearing a masculine looking skirt.

Princess, what did the skirt look like exactly? Was it a style similar to the man-skirts I posted above, or was it feminine looking?

Eryn
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
he was presenting as male but he had a skirt on and his slip was showing too.

Seems like an excellent opportunity to go up to him and say quietly "Excuse me, but I thought that you'd like to know that your slip is showing." and then go about your business. It would have made his day!

KateSpade83
07-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Was it a white man in a Scottish skirt, or was it just plain any woman's skirt?

Princess29
07-20-2012, 03:37 AM
initially I thought it might have been a kilt but then I saw that he had a slip on and while I'm not well versed on scottish culture, I dont think they wear a slip under their kilt

linda allen
07-20-2012, 07:10 AM
A little while ago, I went to a nearby supermarket to get a few things and I saw a man in there, going for the definate "dude in a skirt" look. There was no mistaking that he was presenting as male but he had a skirt on and his slip was showing too.
I'm sure people noticed, you did. You even posted it on the Internet! :heehee:

While it might not be a big deal if he was 100 miles from home, it could be a different story if his wife, his boss, his neighbor, etc. saw him.

But, some folks just like to shock people, maybe that's what he was trying to do.

Claire Cook
07-20-2012, 08:02 AM
A couple of months ago we saw a guy in Home Depot, and yes, he was wearing a skirt, everything else male. He really didn't seem to draw that much attention, although this is a fairly conservative part of Florida. While I'll wear femme shorts or jeans and a T-shirt when otherwise male when shopping, if I'm going to put a skirt on, it's going to be with wig, forms and everything else. Guess that's my hangup ....

sonna
07-20-2012, 09:43 AM
omg. there was a guy in a skirt and knowbody did anything but look.
good for him he just proved a point.

linda allen
07-21-2012, 08:55 AM
We should all get business cards made up with "crossdressers.com" pinted on them. Whenever we see a man in a dress we could give him one. :heehee:

PretzelGirl
07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I think there is an interesting thing to take away here. And Intertwined and Jason may be able to talk to this more direct. But I think there is a little to be said about the direct look. If someone sees a man in a skirt that is obviously a man, they may make a curiosity look and move about their business. If they see a lady and then realize it is a man, then they will start checking things out more because it isn't as obvious. So just wearing a skirt could be more "acceptable" than full out crossdressing.

susan54
07-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't see why this is a big deal. When near home, if I wear a skirt or dress I act as a woman, with a wig and make-up, but further afield I just wear a skirt as a man. It is much more comfortable than being in a wig. And I never get any reaction. It is almost disappointing! All this time you have been thinking the sky would fall in, and NOTHING happens!

Lainie
07-21-2012, 04:23 PM
When I go out en femme, the mustache always gives me away, so I don't bother with makeup. Usually it's clothing stores or restaurants, but I did pick up some cookies in a grocery store one afternoon. One guy made conversation, most ignored the clothes.

Was this guy wearing breast forms? I always worry about whether that's ok with the mustache.

Rachel Morley
07-21-2012, 04:24 PM
As far as I am concerned this is a good thing. Any guy who pushes the envelope and wears something that is obviously a "female garment" and wears it out in public like it's no big deal is doing us all a favor. The more people are exposed to any kind of variance in expected gender presentation the better. Don't know if we'll ever get to place where a guy openly wearing women's clothes is accepted by all, but the more people see of it, the less likely they are to be bothered by it. :2c:

Princess29
07-21-2012, 10:19 PM
This guy had a beard. I think its a good thing what he was doing and I merely mentioned it on here as an statement of what happened.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi Princess, RE: dressing for me it's all the way or nothing.

Me too, I dress all the way as a guy looking as nice as he can in a skirt or dress.

Rebecca Star
07-22-2012, 11:47 AM

So why was this a concern to you...Or are you just putting this out there, a confirmation people aren't as concerned about CDing as we think they are?

and you wonder why people frown on CDing!

My Gran used to tell me, if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it!

For someone who openly admits to not "getting CDing" you spend a lot of time in this forum, April. And most of your posts are fueled with put downs to CD's, why is that?

Tracii G
07-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Good for him if its something people see more often then they will pay less attention to it.

diva
07-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Be thankful you live in the US as attitudes seed fairly liberal like London. For the past two years I have resided in Almeria province in Spain. Not only do the Spanish not mind their own business but they want to know what colour knickers you are wearing.
The thing is they are a worse than 'rednecks' here being in a country area, they have no real lives themselves and so thrive on making hell for anyone different.
Its going to be a long time before anyone wears a skirt around here because people fear too much for their safety.
So much for my wardrobe, my en femme is about 50 times bigger too.

Rebecca Star
07-22-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't think it's crossdressing at all! :)

Similarly, during the late 1960s men were not crossdressing when they had long hair and wore love beads, colorful pants and sarongs:

http://vietnamartwork.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/hippie.jpg

Take a look at John Lennon's shirt: :)

http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/music/pages/beatles-hippies.shtml

Now I'm showing my age but, back in the 80's when Duran Duran was the best thing since sliced bread, my hair was styled like John Taylor (http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://991.com/NewGallery/Duran-Duran-John-Taylor-440947.jpg&imgrefurl=http://991.com/buy/productinformation.aspx?StockNumber%3D440947%26Pri nterFriendly%3D1&h=473&w=600&sz=53&tbnid=e-yHw5R8uf_QrM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=126&prev=/search%3Fq%3Djohn%2Btaylor%2Bduran%2Bduran%26tbm%3 Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=john+taylor+duran+duran&usg=__cPtT-XoI7W9Orwt37vjaMzEgnjM=&docid=MWSePutX532icM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=cjoMUMvbE8ndigf_lIG4DQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGgQ9QEwAQ&dur=501) from the band. Took 18 months to grow and because my hair was fine, I'd get a light perm and highlights every 8 weeks. Now back then, doing that was radical.

One time, driving around my neighbourhood, my mate's thought my g/f was driving the car, when it was me. From the back, with my hair, I looked girl...lol... But come to think about it, you know what really baffles me... Back then Boy George was popular too and and whiel there were some parts of my home town you couldn't go dressed like that, there were others where it was ok.

Point is, it seems kinda bizarre that it was ok back then but now it seems even if as soceity we've grown, matured, in some areas we've taken a plunge down the well again, here in Australia anyways.

Its going to be a long time before anyone wears a skirt around here because people fear too much for their safety.

I live in a small country town in Australia, and it's the same here. I can hold my own if I have too but I prefer to avoid physical confrontation if I can. Hell, I wont even wear my shoulder bag here to carry my phone, wallet, key's etc...etc... That's how "redneck" and backward this place is...

weekend woman
07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Maybe he wasn't wearing a skirt, could have been "one legged open-bottomed shorts".

Jason+
07-22-2012, 01:07 PM
I think there is an interesting thing to take away here. And Intertwined and Jason may be able to talk to this more direct. But I think there is a little to be said about the direct look. If someone sees a man in a skirt that is obviously a man, they may make a curiosity look and move about their business. If they see a lady and then realize it is a man, then they will start checking things out more because it isn't as obvious. So just wearing a skirt could be more "acceptable" than full out crossdressing.

I like the idea of the direct look. I am not unhappy being a man so for me there isn't a reason to hide it. I don't want people to think I am something I am not. I recognize that a man in a skirt may be "shocking" to some people. It's not a goal of mine and from what I've read about the man in the OP it seems a lot more like his slip "slipped" more than anything else. I prefer the reaction I usually get which is the same as the OP "most don't seem to give a stuff" and go on about their business leaving me to do the same.

As far as acceptability goes I am not sure if people would find my presence more acceptable if I looked more like a woman or not. The staff at the grocery stores, electronics stores, coffee shops and clothing stores for the large part haven't batted an eye at me. Other patrons in the various places have smiled and said hello and gone about their business.

One of the last times I went to the grocery store the parking lot was crowded and there was a black SUV about to pull into an open stall that someone had left a cart in. The woman in the passenger seat was about to get out and move it so since I needed a cart anyway I moved it out for them. The driver sort of just glared at me (or he's like me and looks mean and angry if you don't know better) and the lady smiled, waved and said thank you.

I know there are laughs and stares behind my back. They have been there since 1st or 2nd grade and for far less provocation than skirts which didn't make a public appearance until I was near thirty years old. As long as they stay behind me they aren't worth worrying.

diva
07-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Rebecca
appreciated your post very much, very nicely explained...:D