PDA

View Full Version : One Problem with Society

Foxglove
07-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi, Ladies and Gents!

Veronica has just started a thread

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?177949-Conformity

which you might want to look at it. She’s asking some very good questions that are worthy of consideration, I think. This thread came at an appropriate time for me because her ideas are related to certain things that I’ve been thinking about lately.

I’ve been thinking about “society” and the various benefits it affords and the problems it might occasion. One problem that I see with society is one that some people might find surprising: in a sense, it doesn’t exist. There’s no such thing as “society”.

I look at this way. There are certain words we commonly use that are in a sense meaningless. One of them would be “evil”. What exactly do we mean by the word? It depends, because it can mean different things to different people. Christianity, e.g., has personified the concept, turning into it into a devil that leads us astray from the one and only path to salvation.

I would say this: there’s no such thing as “Evil”. What I mean is that there is no hard and fast object in this world that you can lay your hand on and say, “This is Evil”. I might define “Evil” as the sum of evil people and evil deeds. “Evil” is then an abstract concept, a linguistic shortcut that’s handy because it’s easier to say “Evil” than “the sum of evil people and evil deeds.”

But there is a danger in adopting these linguistic shortcuts. E.g., when the leader of a country declares, “This is a struggle between Good and Evil” by way of justifying a war, it can lead people to do all sorts of bad things they wouldn’t do otherwise precisely because they believe they’re combating Evil. After all, war is a dirty thing, and sometimes you have to do dirty things to achieve a higher goal. The end justifies the means. Except that by committing a string of evil deeds, they might not see that they themselves have set off on the road to becoming evil themselves.

Who knows? The guys who ran the Inquisition no doubt thought of themselves as the good guys. As a means of combating “Evil”, they apparently felt perfectly justified in committing all sorts of atrocities that presumably were pleasing in the eyes of a Loving Heavenly Father.

I think this word “society” is similar. There’s no hard and fast object in this world that you can lay your hand on and say, “This is society.” “Society” is an abstract concept, a linguistic shortcut. Maybe we can define it as “the sum of people who live in a given place and their values, beliefs and way of life.”

Just as Christianity has personified “Evil”, I think a lot of people have personified “society”, as if it were some dour, amorphous entity constantly looming over us, watching us, pressuring us, controlling us. “Society” is a word I rarely use myself. I tend to say “people”, and it does make a difference which word you use.

We’re constantly saying, e.g., “Society pressures people into conforming,” without realizing that we might be expressing a tautology. When we consider what we really mean by “society”, we’ll realize that what we’re saying is, “People pressure people into conforming,” or perhaps, “The citizen body pressures the citizen body into conforming.” And now the proposition becomes a bit problematical.

It’s quite possible of course for all the people to pressure each other or for some people to pressure other people, but by using the word “people” instead of “society”, we require ourselves to think more carefully about what we’re saying.

A situation can be like this: a number of years ago (the situation might be somewhat better now) you’d hear Dubliners complaining that they’d like to do without a car because rush-hour traffic in Dublin was as bad as it is in any major city. Yet they were unable to do so because public transport in the city was so poor.

Now virtually everyone in the Western world these days owns a car (I’m one of the rare individuals who don’t). But do people buy cars because they’re pressured into buying them or because they like to have them? By and large, it’s because people love cars. Nobody has to pressure them into buying them.

Except for a small minority of Dubliners. Since the vast majority have made a purely voluntary decision to buy a car, it creates circumstances (a neglected public transport system) whereby the minority is forced to conform.

And this may be the situation for us transpeople. Some transpeople believe that there would be more CDers if society didn’t pressure people into conforming as regards the matter of dress. But “society” is just people, not some entity standing over us and watching us. So the question is, Do the vast majority dress the way they do because they feel pressure from others, or do they dress the way they do because that’s how they want to dress? Are they simply doing what feels natural to them? I think we transpeople may be in one of those situations where because of a voluntary decision on the part of a majority, we the minority feel pressure to conform.

I think in other ways, it’s not helpful to think in terms of “society”. I’m still carrying on the eternal debate within myself: can I possibly get out in this little town I live in? It’s not helpful to me to ask, “What will society think?” Rather, I need to think, “What about Ms. So-and-So in the library? How will she react? And what about So-and-so in the hardware shop? How will he react? And what about the people who own the bargain shop? How will they react?”

That is, I’m going to be dealing with flesh-and-blood individuals, not some faceless “society”. By talking about “society” we do in a sense dehumanize the people we’re dealing with. I believe in certain instances it is handy to think in terms of “society”, but I think it’s necessary to always bear in mind what we’re really talking about--and that's people.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Marleena
07-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Annabelle this is another great post! What I'm seeing lately are members analyzing and overanalyzing our own reasons for non conforming or rebelling. That can be good and bad we are all looking for answers. That so and so at the library is part of "society" just like you and I. One only has to read any transgendender story of hope in the news. That hope is turned to mush by conforming members of "society" in their replies to said articles. The simple act of a man putting on a dress is non conforming. The majority of "society" are conforming in the fact they act and dress like the majority in the proper assumed roles. They only see male or female and TG people are seen as deviants by many.

We are driven to do what we do as trangendered people. Society just doesn't get it and some don't want to accept us and that causes many of us to rebel. We reject their expectations.

Foxglove
07-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Marleena! We always have to consider the attitudes of the majority, of course. I'm just trying to point out here that I think it's people that make society what it is, not society that makes people what they are. It makes a big difference as to how you view the problem.

As for me, I never know how hopeful to be. It depends on my moods. We do have to try and change the attitudes of the majority. Exactly how to do that I'm not sure. But I do think that bit by bit things will get better for us.

Annabelle

Sarah Doepner
07-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Annabelle, for me Society is that group that occupies the central part of the good old statistical bell curve, out one or so standard deviations from the mean. We reside on one of the tails of that curve when it comes to discussions of gender. When the conversation turns to transportation, politics or popular culture, we hop on over to other curves where we fit in some other range. I don't know what we can do to stretch the curve out in our direction, but it seems that it has happened for others. Gays and Lesbians were on the tail of the sexual orientation curve for a very long time and it has been stretched out to cover them much better than in the past. We can worry about our place in society if we want, try to move the mean in our direction and skew the curve, and that, I believe, would be a good thing. Or we can just do what we want and screw the curve, enjoying life as we know it while we wait for society to catch up with us. Or not.

Foxglove
07-21-2012, 10:09 AM
You're making a good point here, Sarah. A lot of us, in certain aspects of our lives, fit it well enough with mainstream society. It's in the trans aspect of our lives that we're in the outer fringes. As for the options that we have, I think you've summed them up quite well.

Annabelle

Kaz
07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Great thread Annabelle,

I have recently been watching a programme presented by Michael Woods on BBC2 looking at how the English society has been shaped over history. It is a bit twee at times as things often are, but there is some great stuff! The basic premise that it is the people who have shaped and changed society over the years by standing up for what they believe in and just , well, making things happen. I would recommend it. You can catch previous episodes on BBC iPlayer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00r12j3/episodes/guide

Wildaboutheels
07-21-2012, 11:16 AM
It's not that hard for any group to change Societal thinking.

It's simply a matter of when THEY notice your team/group for some reason because your [let's say] soccer team is wearing uniforms or your CDing brothers and sisters team is noticed for how they are dressing - that everyone on the team shows that they are otherwise happy, healthy otherwise "normal" individuals. They "do their best" to have "productive" interactions with Society.

Since all CDers are Humans, some will be far better with their confidence, carriage, people skills etc. than others.

All anyone can do is their "best" to represent their team.

Anyone sitting on their thumbs waiting for things to "get better" is not helping the cause much. Simply treating others you meet with courtesy and respect is all that is often needed. IF you can do that with your head held high [but not too high] all the better.

KellyJameson
07-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Society can be thought of as an abstract concept that summarizes the norms of the group being refered to.

Most of the people on my street are here on work visas for Microsoft and among them it is common to see men walking down the street wearing a sarong and this
dress does not reflect the norm here but the culture they come from where it is the norm and if there was a negative reaction it would not be to the sarong but by those who fear cultural invasion that the sarong symbolizes.

The problem is not so much that there are norms as why we need them and in my opinion norms are driven by the fear of needing to feel safe in the space we occupy
particularly where the threat is considered greatest which is often in public spaces.

When crossdressing is sexualized in a public space you than add to the fear of breaking a norm with the fear of a sexual motive even if it is only to make yourself a sexual object with no intention of the sex act, people implicitly understand they are being used as an audience in the public arena whether they agreed to it or not and it can cause resentment.

In my opinion it is safer to crossdress in public if you do not sexualize it but regardless some places will be more dangerous than others because the norms are more rigidly enforced.

Breaking norms must be done respectfully by not using others in the expression of being an individual and this takes sensitivity to how you are affecting people by your behavior.

Many times rebellion against societal norms is a narcissistic expression of an attention seeking individual screaming for personal freedoms when they are really trying to steal the other persons freedom by turning all eyes on them as actors insisting on an a audience to fulfill their own unmet emotional needs from childhood.

The problem concerning public behavior is defining personal freedom or the exploitation of others as personal freedom.

Liberty or Selfishness at the expense of others.

Marleena
07-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Kelly I find your replies amazing! Well thought and rationalized.:)

Kate Simmons
07-21-2012, 02:48 PM
The only thing I know for sure is that the moment I first put on a dress, wig and makeup and presented myself as a woman, I definitely became a better person for it.;):)

Rebecca Star
07-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Great post Annabelle:)

Ya know, I think we as people are brought up to place labels on everything. Pigeon hole; judge the cover and not the book.
Albeit not everyone is like this but a lot are.

I even do it myself from time to time without even thinking about. When I realise it, I make sure I become mindful of not goingthere again. I guess that's how we learn to change things for the better over time.

Ally 2112
07-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I just reject societies reality and insert my own but ! i make sure no one gets hurt in the process except me :).being 99% in the closet i have to deal with myself and have always been rebelious in some way over the years I have had long hair for years and have got critized for it i have tattoes and got flack for that but i carry on it is all you can do and i do not think of myself as evil but have been called that lol i have never fit in except for a couple of very good friends who i known for over 25 years .But as i think here they might of been outsiders also so i guess i fit in somewhere ? :)

Foxglove
07-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Great post Annabelle:)

Ya know, I think we as people are brought up to place labels on everything. Pigeon hole; judge the cover and not the book.
Albeit not everyone is like this but a lot are.

I even do it myself from time to time without even thinking about. When I realise it, I make sure I become mindful of not goingthere again. I guess that's how we learn to change things for the better over time.

You're making a good point, here--one that I've made myself at times. In a way, we do have to label things, pigeonhole them. Basically, what we're doing is explaining the world to ourselves. We have to have definitions so that we can understand things. But it's a difficult thing, a delicate process. You have to remember that definitions and labels are always provisional. You need to remain flexible. As you experience more things in life, as you deepen your understanding of them, your views should evolve. Don't lock yourself into a position. And that is a hard thing to do. I think a lot of people can't do it. I'm not sure how well I do it myself.

. . . i do not think of myself as evil . . .

And I wouldn't, either. My use of the word "Evil" above was just an example. I would never call anybody "evil"--or maybe I would.

Annabelle

kimdl93
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Facing the perceived disapproval of society can be daunting for anyone in a minority. Society seems an insurmountably immense monolith. But we really interact other individual people, not with the monolith. And each positive interaction, each moment of enlightenment, each person who perhaps grudgingly acknowledges that he/she isn't that bad for a CDrs is a molecular change in the structure of society.

Foxglove
07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
But we really interact other individual people, not with the monolith. And each positive interaction, each moment of enlightenment, each person who perhaps grudgingly acknowledges that he/she isn't that bad for a CDrs is a molecular change in the structure of society.

I agree. That's why I think that a lot of times it isn't useful to think about "society", but rather in terms of people. We deal with individuals. As individuals change their attitudes, beliefs, etc., they change society as a whole.

Veronica27
07-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Annabelle, this is a very insightful thread. The Merriam Webster dictionary site contains this definition of "society": "a community, nation, or broad grouping of people having common traditions, institutions, and collective activities and interests". It is this sense of the word that I, and I believe most others have been using. However, there are listed 7 other distinct meanings or senses of the word, and the quoted one is number 3(b). Such organizations as Tri-ess, whose full name is The Society for the Second Self, fits at least three of the other definitions depending on the specific context. The word is indeed a very abstract and intangible one.

I believe the key phrase of the quoted definition is "people having common traditions" The same Webster site includes in the definition of tradition the following: "the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction". This forms the basis of conformity, which we have been discussing.

This thread has not only given me pause to rethink my use of the word society, but it has also confirmed my feelings about the word gender, which is also an abstract and intangible word, whose use can lead to misunderstandings and disputes.

Many times rebellion against societal norms is a narcissistic expression of an attention seeking individual screaming for personal freedoms when they are really trying to steal the other persons freedom by turning all eyes on them as actors insisting on an a audience to fulfill their own unmet emotional needs from childhood.

The problem concerning public behavior is defining personal freedom or the exploitation of others as personal freedom.

Liberty or Selfishness at the expense of others.

Kelly, that is a very brave but oh so true comment to make on a crossdressing forum. My wife, who is very accepting of my crossdressing, but cautious about my going out, has willingly accompanied me to several CD events, and is generally a more sociable person than myself at these affairs. At the latest event, we were having dinner with about 30 other attendees, and there were about 20 or so other customers in the dining room. As the event lasted longer than expected my wife had to answer the call of nature. The washroom was a small two stall one. It was empty when my wife went in, and continued that way during her stay, but as she was leaving, one of the crossdressers at our table was waiting by the door to use the facilities until she had finished. Afterward, my wife told me she had entirely forgotten that crossdressers might have been using the washroom, and how grateful she was that the crossdresser had the courtesy to wait for her to finish. She explained to me that after a lifetime of conditioning herself to the use of separate washrooms, she would have felt extremely uncomfortable sharing the washroom with a man, regardless of how he was dressed, but even more she was concerned about how the other women customers would have felt as they had not anticipated they would be sharing the restaurant and its facilities with crossdressers. This has nothing to do with fear, or transphobia, but simply reflects our cultural conditioning, and the impact that anything out of the ordinary or not expected can have on people.

Veronica